Human

By 141katiemanwell

Katie is no one special. To her, she was a shy insecure girl that didn't have a clue of what to do with her l... More

Characters
The Beginning
Alarm
Road to their Downfall
The Capitol
Damn Blue Eyes
Forgetting
Secrets
Yellow Flowers
Strawberries
Starting Again
Powers
Fallen Again
The Coronation Pt. 1
The Coronation Pt. 2
Aftermath
New Game
The Healer
Raised
Consequences
Ready
Mahogany
~Updated Characters~
Home
Possible
The Finale Chapter

Changed

28 0 0
By 141katiemanwell

-----

Katie

My eyes widen as I take in all the blood. Red has spread all over my hands, my shirt, and even pieces of my hair. I'm covered in it. And it's not mine.

I look down and already feel the pain increasing of the power given to me.

My mother's dead cold eyes stare back at me and I'm breaking internally. The cold air of the winter threatens to take me as I look back at the people I care about, who now stare back at me. And this time, I'm the one who has the knife to the heart.

In the center of the crowd coming towards me stands my sister, looking like she's ready to tear me to shreds. She holds a sword. A long sword that is thinner than a piece of paper.

And it's aimed at me.

"GO!" She screams.

And I'm thrown onto the snow.

The air leaves my lungs, and standing above me is my sister. "You betrayer!" She spits.

"I didn't mean to kill them!" I scream back, feeling my throat rip in half. Cold tears turn into ice on my cheeks.

She laughs, an empty sound that only sounds like a cat scratching a chalkboard. Her adorable freckles scrunching as she scrunches her nose. "You didn't kill anyone, Katie. That's not the point of all of this," She points over to my left, where I see three figures coming forward in the snow storm.

And there stands my family. They all look at me with such hatred it chills me even more, and I'm left unable to breathe. "You can't get rid of the enemy that quickly, creature." Mom hisses, touching the bleeding womb on her chest.

"What do you mean? I don't understand!" I stand up, making myself level with her, "I didn't want to kill you, mom." I say, taking her hand, "If there was another way I would have taken it but-"

"You monster! You didn't kill us! You just started a war against your own people. Open your eyes, Katie! You are not human! You're the Smurf!"

---

A Couple Days Before the Events from Raised:

"Wanna see something cool?" Kallan asks as he grins, his perfect teeth shining as his eye turns red with excitement.

I can't help but smile, "Yeah."

"Follow me." He takes my hand, leading me out his room and into his master bathroom. "Stand right in front of the mirror."

I nod my head, doing as he instructs. "Count to three and close your eyes." I do as he says, waiting patiently. "Then, when I say okay, open your eyes."

I nod my head excitedly, "Okay," I say.

I wait, and as I stand in front of the mirror, I feel his hands on my shoulders. "Okay." He whispers, taking a step back.

I open my eyes, not knowing what it could be. But what I see is something I truly wasn't expecting.

My skin isn't a natural human color. It's white. Like a piece of paper. I look like a piece of paper. It's not a faerie color either. I smile, and my eyes widen when I see my teeth. Most of them are normal if anything their more perfect than they usually are, but the teeth two down from my top front teeth are sharp. It makes me look like a vampire. My ears are pointed at the end, long just like Kallans. I take a step closer to the mirror, taking in the lighter blonde of my hair, noticing how it looks exactly like Kallans too. But what really shocks me is my eyes. The eye on the right is purple while my left is teal. I look like a faerie...but I also don't. "What did you do?" I ask him.

"I took off the glamour that dad put on you the second you were born."

I shake my head, how didn't I know I had a glamour on me for fifteen years? I feel my heartbeat begin increasing when I realize, "So, technically speaking, since I'm half human too, shouldn't I at least look a little human?" I ask him, "Cause right now I look like a faerie and..."

"Smurf."

My smile disappears, "I'm not a Smurf, Kal."

"But you look like one." A chill goes down my spine. He's right. I look like one of them and I can't help but want to take foundation and smear it all over my skin in hopes it'll make me look a little more human.

"Change me back," I demand.

"You don't want everyone to see who you really are?" He asks.

"Not when I look like the enemy! Change me back, please!"

He nods his head and touches my shoulders again, and very slowly I'm finally back to my human self. "People are already suspicious of you. Maybe you should show them what you really look like."

"If anything, I'm going to lose the small amount of trust my people have in me if I show up looking like a completely different species."

He pauses, "You don't have to be so dramatic, Katie."

In the corner of my eye, I see him roll his eyes. Frustration sinks in, "I'm leaving. I've got a lot to do, preparing the next ball and, heck, try and win a war!" I step out of the bathroom, ready to leave and have time to think. I look down at my hand and see a blotch forming.

"Wait, Katie!" He calls after me, but I ignore him.

I make it out of my brother's room, booting for my own when I hear someone call my name, "Katie!" A voice calls. I stop, already knowing who it is.

"Jace, I have things to do-"

"I know, but I want to ask you to be my date to the dance." He asks, walking right in front of me. He's taller than Tony, and I have to tilt my head back to see him.

I feel the corner of my lip twitch, "You've got some guts asking the Empress to her own ball." I comment.

He grins, his cheeks blushing. Dammit, why's he so cute?

I feel his hand take mine, and I almost want to rip it away. The blotches on my skin will hurt him like it's hurting me right now... but he doesn't seem to notice the pain my skin is giving, "Will you?" He says, bringing me closer to him.

"I'll think about it." I hear myself say, and I immediately curse myself for that response. You should say no.

"Is it that you just don't know if you like me?" He whispers, letting his breath lightly brush my skin. I shiver. "Or is it because of someone else-" His finger lightly trails up my arm, going to my shoulder, then my shoulder.

"I can't," I say, my mind still upset about what just happened with Kallan.

"Why not?" He asks.

I look up and wish I hadn't. His face is so close to mine I almost feel drunk from the closeness. "I can't focus on this stuff right now. I c an't focus on anything but winning this war."

"I just asked you to go with me to the ball, I'm not asking you to marry me."

"I don't care. I'm sorry, but I have more important things to worry about."

A look of disgust shines through his dark eyes, "Like throwing a fricking ball?"

"No, like saving the world!" I yell while flailing my arms by my sides.

He shakes his head, "You're trying to save the world while also getting drunk and throwing parties?"

"What do you mean?"

"I saw you at your coronation. You were so drunk you just happened to fall into Tony's arms after we danced." He crosses his arms across his chest.

"You're just jealous. Look, Jace, I don't know you that well. You're pretty much a stranger to me and it's none of your business who I decide to spend my time with, it's also not my fault why I was drunk!"

"Oh, you're still blaming Scott? I know the guy wasn't perfect, Katie, but you don't have to blame your drunkenness on him too."

My face burns and my heart shatters and the pieces are threatening to come up my throat, "Fuck you," I say clearly before hearing my voice crack near the end. I walk away, practically running to my rooms.

Thankfully, he doesn't follow.

"Where have you been?" Spencer asks as I walk in.

I look in my living room across the hall to see the door open and a bunch of cloth, thread, needles, and a sewing machine all laid out on my floor. "Sorry, I just got completely sidetracked," I say, closing the door behind me.

She sighs, "Well, come on I only have four days to make this dress." I walk into the room and am told to stand straight as she measured me. Then spent fifteen minutes being told what cloth she chose for the dress, backing it up with evidence on why she chose it. Then, helping her design the dress.

"We want you to represent something, that's the theme of this ball, right? To have what your wearing represent something?" She asks.

"Yes."

"Ok, so we want you to be glowing. I want you to radiate warmth, the feeling of freedom and no worries or stress." I nod my head, showing I understand, "I want you to represent a beach."

I feel my eyes widen, "A beach?"

"Yes. Let me explain." She says, sitting up more and clearing her throat, "I want you to look like a golden goddess, I want your dress gold, your skin gold, your hair gold!"

I shake my head, "Why?"

"It's to make a statement. Now, people look at you like you're a child, but when they see you in this dress, you'll look like the Empress you were born to be."

I'm surprised by how much she believes in me. I don't think anyone has ever believed in me this much I can't help but smile. "I think that's a perfect idea."

---

Couple Days after the Events from Raised:

I left most of the planning of the ball to my friends. I knew it would give them something to do, and it would give me more time to think and prepare, and normally I'd want to plan things on my own, but I wasn't complaining when they suggested helping with this.

I was in my office when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I called, flipping through different papers.

"Your Highness," A silky voice says. I look up and was surprised when I saw the Princess of Spain walking through my door.

"Is everything okay?" I asked her.

She shakes her head, "Everything is fine,"

"Okay, then may I ask why you're here?" I ask, cringing when I realized how to mean that really sounded.

She continues to walk into the room, sitting in one of the two seats in front of my desk. "I need to talk to you." She says, taking a mint from my desk, unwrapping it and popping it into her mouth.

"About what? Are you getting along well with your maids or..."

"You need my help."

I raise an eyebrow, "I don't need help, I am quite capable of running the world on my own."

"I am not here to overrun your position, Katie." She says, "I just want to be here to help you. I've been in this since I was born. I was born with a crown that holds a lot of responsibilities. I've always wished I had a friend to trust while I was alone learning how to run a country."

I nod my head, taking in what she's saying, "Our situations are very different, princess. For you, you had time to learn. You had people teaching you. But for me, I don't have time to learn! While you were running a country, I'm running an Empire! Not only that, but I have another Empire fighting mine!" I feel my face turning red but I ignore it, I just let my frustration out my curling my fingers, letting my nails dig into my palm.

She continues to sit quietly in the chair, "Yes, and I'm trying to make things easier for you. I want to help you-"

"How do I know I can trust you?" I ask, setting my hand on the desk.

"I am the princess of Spain." She says sternly, "I am one of your loyal people. If you really want, I will prove my loyalty to you."

I nod my head, not knowing how to respond. "Give me a week to think about this," I say, taking out a paper to write this down.

She nods her head, "I understand." She waits for a second, "And Katie?" She stands up from her chair.

"What?" I ask.

"Whatever happens through this and if you decide not to trust me, whatever you do don't trust the one with blue eyes." Without another word, she steps out of the room. I try to relax in my seat, try and let my shoulders let the tension in them leave, but it doesn't work. I sit in my chair like a stick, trying to move normally even though I can feel the blotches moving around my skin, disrupting every nerve in my body.

Another knock on the door saves me. "Come in!" I call, my voice sounding normal.

The door opens, and Tony walks in. He looks upset. "The soldiers you sent out a while ago have come back." He says.

I nod my head, "Was the mission not good or,"

"They found not even five thousand people left." He takes long strides, sitting in the chair in front of me.

"But..." My body becomes a tree now, and I'm unable to lift a finger. "The population was in the billions!" I move, not obeying my mind's wishes of relaxing in the chair as I stand and more blotches form until I'm almost completely red with pain.

"Katie-" Tony begins but stops when he sees me.

"They went all the way to California? Did they even go into Canada and Mexico too?" My fingers form a fist, "Because this cannot be what's left!"

I watch as Tony comes to me, placing his hand on my arm. I see him flinch when he feels the pain I'm in. "The fog is growing even faster now, Katie. We need to get out. Now."

"Well, where do we go? My father-"

"Suggested that we go live in the faerie world. I know those land are dangerous, but it will be safer than staying here."

"I know," I say weakly, wanting so badly to just sit and cry.

I look up at Tony, drowning in the blue of his eyes. "We can't wait. We need to go now."

"But how do we get all these people there safely? I don't even know how to get into faerie."

"It's fine. We'll ask your brother."

"Ask me what?" A voice says. I look up, and there I see Kallan walk in, looking just as he normally does with his golden hair swept back and a perfect black suit.

"We need to leave, and we need to go to faerie. I know dad won't be very pleased but we need to get out of here."

"I mean...I can make a portal to take us all there, but how many people are we bringing?"

"All the humans left in the world."

He nods his head and doesn't say anything. It's such a long pause I almost slap his shoulder, but he nods his head again and says, "Well then, let's get started. Where do you want the portal?" He asks.

"Outside. I don't know where everyone is but we need to get as many people as possible."

"Ok, it doesn't take long to make one. We need to spread the news right now, tell people to grab everything that's valuable with them and to go through the portal. When they go through, they should be at fathers castle."

I nod my head, "We need to get this message out." I begin walking around the White House, and I grab a phone against the wall. "What does this do? Is it just a regular phone?" I ask.

"No, when you speak into that the whole place will be able to hear what you're saying." Perfect. I take it.

"This is your Empress, Katelan, for your safety within the next thirty minutes I need everyone to go through a portal that will bring us to the faerie land where we will stay under the safety of my father, the faerie king. Only take what you absolutely need and quickly make it through the portal which is located outside the front steps of the building."

I hang up and dart to my chambers. I hear two people behind me, Kallan and Tony following me to my rooms.

"I just need a few things, you guys should go to your rooms and get your stuff too." I go straight to my closet, taking a normal pair of jeans, a sweatshirt, and shoes. I take a crown and stuff it all into a bag. Then, I take the pair of pajamas I wore when I first got here.

Taking the bag I strap it to my shoulder and quickly turn around, running right into Tony. I curse, "I thought I told you to get all your stuff!" I say, lightly pushing him out of my way, "I need to get my sister and help her."

I go out of my closet and go to the private rooms connected to my chambers. "I don't have anything I need." He says.

I shake my head, "You don't need to be up my butt."

"No, I just want to help you!"

"I don't care! Go!" I open my sister's door and see her in her large closet, packing.

"Are you almost done, Alli?" I ask her.

Without looking up she nods her head, her golden hair falling a bit around her shoulders. "Yes, I'm done." She stands up, a large bag similar to mine on her back. Her eyes flick to Tony, who I know is still behind me, but then go back to me.

"Ok, let's go," I take her hand, and rush out to the halls, going a route I've probably gone down every day while being here.

"We still have about fifteen minutes, Katie, we're good. We don't need to rush," Tony reasons.

"My people are over on my fathers land right now and I don't even know what he even looks like. I don't even know how dangerous he is. I need to get there as soon as possible."

"Your Highness!" I hear a female voice call behind me. I look back to see Spencer, and with her all my friends. I let out a breath of relief.

"Come on, guys!" They rush behind me, and we all make it to the main floor, and the next thing I know we're standing right in front of the portal.

I stare at the portal for a moment, completely surprised by how it looks. Different colors shine of it like it's a piece of shiny glass that changes color in lighting.

I shake my head and look around, seeing that there are already families walking through the portal, some holding small children and others just groups of kids my age. I let them all go before me, and then finally it's my turn.

I walk in first with my right foot and realize how that the stuff the portal is made out of is like water, making my pant leg wet. Then I jump in.

And walk into a whole different world.

I'm soaking wet and cold but feel my eyes widen as they take in the beautiful lands.

It's so beautiful I feel my mouth open up in surprise. There's wildlife everywhere. Sweet trees that hold fruits I've never knew existed. The grass tickles my toes like soft cotton under my feet. I feel my mind going into a slight daze. I shake my head and look around to see my people all huddled together in a large group. I let metal grow in my hand, the sword I'm making as dark as midnight. I tighten my grip and I let little details spiral around the blade, making it look even more dangerous than what it really is. I walk forward, toward the large stone castle that looms near us, and I can feel the eyes watching us through the windows. I don't bother to look behind me, already knowing all my friends are following me, supporting me, being all the strength I know I could never be.

I open a large wooden door leading into the castle and don't hesitate as I make my way in. "Katie wait!" I hear Kallan call.

I turn around, seeing him with his hands out in front of him, controlling the portal. "I can do this without you!" I yell at him, going into the castle. The sound of footsteps follows me as I walk through hallways, my legs bringing me along a path I do not understand how I know, and leads me to a door.

It's large, as are most things in this stone cold castle and is made out of wood. I touch the wooden door and push it open. It creeks as it moves and looking in, I realize I'm staring at a throne. A throne made of roses with dangerous thorns dripping with the blood of different colors "Looks like one of my children finally decided to come home." A dark voice says. I look up and keep in my gasp.

There on the throne sits my father. I know it's him because he looks just like Kallan. His gold hair and teal eye. My back stiffens when my mind goes back to the image of my true self in the mirror. My gold hair. Looking at my father I can also see where I got my large nose, my light eyebrows, and so many more of my features that I feel like I've stolen parts from this strangers face and attempted to hide that I stole by trying to mold it into my own face.

"This is not home," I say, already sensing the blotch forming on my shoulder.

The man grins down at me, a dimple forming on his right cheek as he brings his finger down near the edge of his armrest and creates a red rose. I watch as a dark red liquid drips from one of the petals. "This will be home. I told you-you were welcome here whenever you needed somewhere to go. And now are you really going to take my offer and take advantage of it? Well, you already have by leading all those humans here and leaving them in my front gardens."

"I don't care. You have people you need to protect and so do I. The place that is my home is being destroyed right now by some stupid fog and I can't do anything about it, so my people are staying here."

His eyes blaze as he stands from his throne. "Father!" A voice says.

I look over, seeing someone I've never seen before. He has gold hair with the same teal eyes I've seen in both Kallan, my father, and me. My father rolls his eyes, "Go, Finley," Father says. "I'm busy."

Finley shakes his head, looks in my direction, takes in my appearance, tenses, and looks back at father, "I think I'll stay here." He says, a grin appearing on his face.

"Fine, tell your sister that she cannot let a bunch of humans out into the faerie world!"

Finley's eyebrows raise at the word sister, "This is her?" He asks, walking toward me.

"Yes, and this is not the time for some stupid sentimental greeting, I want her people gone!"

"I think you should let her people stay," Finley says, now standing in between both me and father.

Something flashes behind fathers eyes, "Go get the others. It's about time we had a family meeting." His eyes go over to me and he smirks, "But if this is going to be a family meeting I think I should take that glamour off you."

I scream, covering my mouth as I prepare to beg, "No, don't!" My mouth opens wide and I'm completely frozen in place. I look down and see my skin bright white, just like how it looked in the mirror a week ago.

"Katie?" I hear Jenna say behind me. I turn around and see her looking at me like I'm an alien, or worse...a Smurf. "What-"

"My father gave me a glamour when I was born," I say, looking at Jessica.

"You look like a vampire." She says, tucking a piece of her ginger hair behind her ear.

I open my mouth to explain more but father interrupts me, "Ugh, again enough of this sappy stuff." My father complains, sitting back on his throne. "Kids!" He roars, his face turning as red as the roses growing near his feet.

I can hear footsteps and see a couple of different figures appear from another room. They're all tall. And beautiful. "Where's Kallan?" Father asks.

"Outside," Finley answers as he runs a hand through his curly hair.

"Kallan's here?" The tall girl says behind him, her eyes looking around excitedly. "I'll get him."

"No, I'll get him," I say, taking a step forward.

Her smile fades and she looks over at me, "Who are you?" She asks.

"His sister," I say, tightening my grip on the cold metal of my sword.

A look of shock grazes over the girls face as she looks at me, her eyes going over my body and face. "Katelan Maxwell." She walks up to me, her walk so graceful it's almost like she was floating. Her long tanned arm reaches out to me, "Hello, little sister." She says with a grin on her perfect face.

I look from her hand to her face, trying to get my mind grasp on what's going on now. "What's your name?" I ask her.

"January." She says.

I nod my head, "I'm going to go get Kallan." I say, making my way to the door. A hand touches my shoulder and I don't have to turn around to know it's Jenna. She follows me as I go to the last place I saw Kallan and hear myself gasp, the cool hair freezing my lungs.

There are so many people. They all look so lost and I wish so badly there was a better place to bring them and keep them all safe. "Kallan!" I call.

"Kallan?" I hear Jenna call behind me. I turn around just in time to see him walk up to Jenna, something shining in his eyes that makes me freeze. He takes her hand and kisses it.

"Guys?" I say, walking up to them. I look at Jenna, so many questions I hope are visible in my eyes as I look at her, "I didn't know you two were so...friendly."

Kallan laughs, "Let's go before father decides we're taking too long and sends one of his creepy minions out to get us." He walks in the direction of the castle, dodging every root of a tree perfectly as he crosses the path, and I know that he must have grown up here.

Jenna follows him, her hand still in his. I shake my head and look up, focusing on what's going on right now and not some strange teen drama. "There's my favorite brother!" One of the faeries says with a wide grin, their sharp teeth glowing.

A smile spreads across Kallans face as he hugs his brother...our brother. "Jasper." He cheers as he hits his back.

"There's my little brother!" Jasper says, a huge happy smile on his face.

"Where's everyone else?" Kallan asks.

"The triplets are still upstairs, taking their time," Jasper responds, shrugging his shoulders.

I feel my eyebrows raise, there's three more? "I love family reunions," January says, flipping her perfect hair behind her shoulder.

"Well tell them to HURRY UP!" Father screams while standing from his chair.

"They will only be one more second." Finley answers.

And with that, I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. I look over to where Jasper and January and Finley came from and see three large and tall men who are all identical.

"Okay, kids," Father says, standing even taller next to his throne. His eyes go over to me and he waves me over to him. I follow his motion, taking large steps to him."I would like to introduce you to Katelan Aubrey Maxwell."

Several different pairs of eyes are looking back at me. I think I even heard someone gasp. Then, a laugh seems to break the ice. "Does mom know about her?" Jasper asks.

January shakes her head, blonde hair floating in the air from the quick movement, "Are you serious? We're meeting our little sister and you're concerned about that?" She says angrily, even though I can see a hint of a smirk on her lips.

The triplets stand there, all looking almost the exact same as they just look at me. "Why does she look weird?" One of the triplets ask.

January laughs, "Are you that much of an idiot, Dustin?" She asks him.

He shakes his head, "I mean, I know she isn't just fey but...she looks like she's also part like... Smurf." My skin is frozen. My heart is threatening to stop and it's either let it freeze...or let it thaw.

"I'm not a Smurf," I say annoyingly.

Dustin looks over at me, looking a little surprised, "She speaks." He says. One of the other triplets nudges Dustin on the shoulder.

"Dusty, stop being rude to our guest." He says, looking back at the other triplet.

"Well, she's not our guest, Mike. She's apart of the family. Best we make her feel at home."

"I agree with Dustin, but you could still be polite," January says, lightly touching his shoulder. She looks back at me, and her gaze softens as if realizing something. She walks towards me, each step graceful in her heels, and when she's right in front of me I feel her cool fingers on my cheeks. "You're so cute!" She squeals, her fingers pinching my skin. I frown and take a step back.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't treat me like a child," I say.

"Yeah, you'll want to be careful with this one," Kallan says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "For the month I've known her, she can be trouble." I look up at him and see a smirk appearing on his face. I try to hide my own.

January looks at Kallan closely, watching over her little brother, "You've changed a lot in this month. A month isn't a long time. But you talk like a completely different person."

"Can you all please shut up?" Father interrupts. I look back at him, watching patiently as he twirls a piece of his still perfect gold hair. "We've things to discuss." He says, his eyes slowly looking back at me, "And I want this to be a family matter."

"I think that we give all these humans rooms, we can split them up between everyone's castles. How many are there?" Finley asks.

"Five thousand," Jenna replies, standing right next to me. She looks up at Kallan and smiles at him, and he smiles back.

"Then we have plenty of room. I can hold about one thousand-"

"How do I know I can trust you?" I interrupt.

He looks back at me, his right eyebrow raising a little higher than the other, "We're family, and I don't hurt family."

"That's true," January says, putting a hand on Finley's shoulder.

I nod my head, still a small feeling of distrust, but I ignore it. "Ok. You can get one thousand of my people to travel through a portal, that's what we've found to be the easiest way to get them from one place to another."

"I'll help you," Kallan suggests, smiling up at his older brother...our older brother. "I can make the portal, I've realized that I'm pretty good at it."

"Well, while you're doing that, I'll show Katelan and her maids to her rooms," January says, pure excitement laced in her voice.

"I don't have maids," I say, crossing my arms over my chest. I watch January look at my friends behind me, and points to them. I sigh, "Those are my friends, my little sister, my designer, and Tony."

"And Tony?" She says, raising an eyebrow.

"Long story. Okay, all my friends and I can share a room along with my sister-"

"No, you all can just share our second largest chambers. There are about five rooms attacked, so you'll have enough room. Plus, there are five bathrooms, a large kitchen, library, gaming room, dining room, office, and living room." That's even bigger than the rooms we had back at Washington. I look back at my friends and see them all smiling together, whispering excitedly. "Come, I'll bring you all to your rooms," She says, holding out her arm for me. Hesitantly, I take it. It's awkward. I hold onto her arm, the arm of a sister I hadn't realize I had, a sister who I might have never met if it weren't for all of this screwed up crap. I'm not saying that I'm thankful of the events that have led me here, because I know I would have been fine with just my mortal father, my mortal mother, my sister, and brother in our little small town in Ohio.

Honestly, I miss worrying about going to work throughout the week in the small little grocery store just two blocks away from my house. I was fine with my friends and being a normal teen and fantasizing about whether or not I'd find a boyfriend. And I was very content on writing my pathetic stories in my little room.

But, from what I learned...you don't get everything you wish for.

"Ouch!" January hisses, letting go of my arm. She looks back at me accusingly, her fingers going under the sleeve of her dress covering her arm and rubbing the golden tanned skin. "Did you just pinch me?"

Confused, I look down at my arm, and see red hot blotches swirling around. I flinch. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to, it was just my skin-"

"Katie, settle down," A soothing voice says behind me. I feel a hand touch my arm, and right away the pain I hadn't noticed giving me a headache is decreasing.

"What the heck are you? I don't know any faerie who can do that-"

"Well she's not a normal faerie," Jenna says back, an edge in her voice. "She can't control this." Her blue eyes shine brightly in the light, her fingers squeezing my arm tighter.

January shakes her head, "Whatever, I don't have time for this. Let me just show you to your rooms," She continues on, walking up two flight of stairs. I'm tired when we finally get to our floor. "I don't care how you choose to split up the rooms, for the time being, they're your rooms." She stops walking, pointing lazily to a large door, "I'll see you for dinner." She mumbles as she walks away.

I hold my breath and wait for thirty seconds. "I...should go check to make sure everything with Kallan and Finley are going smoothly and getting everyone to his castle is going smoothly."

"I'll go with you!" Tony suggests.

I continue looking down, letting my hair fall into my face. "I can do it on my own." I mumble, "You guys go get comfortable in the rooms. I'll be back in an hour or two." I look up, ignoring the looks of everyone as I make my way towards the stairs.

"Katie, you know everyone is ok? We already got them settled in their rooms. Trust me, we can trust Finley," Kallan says, standing at the other end of the room.

I look up at him and immediately am annoyed. My hands create tight fists, "Why didn't you tell me about them?" I ask.

I watch as Kallan usually humorous eyes turn serious, to sadness, to pity. "Tell you about what?"

"Don't be stupid! Why didn't you tell me about how I have six other siblings? Where you just going to keep this all from me?"

"No, I...wanted it to be a surprise?"

I stare at him, watching him as he looks down, not wanting to look me in the eye. Feeling a hand on my shoulder, I turn around to see Jenna. "I don't need healing all the time! I can handle the few blotches on my skin on my own!" I don't look at her reaction, knowing I'd start sobbing and try to apologize for my pathetic outburst, but I start walking to the chambers. I open the door, storming into a hallway and opening a random door. Looking inside, I see a large bed and quickly rush in. I shut the door, feeling a strange rush of emotions hitting me as I make my way to the bed.

Kicking off my shoes, I jump onto the large king sized bed and almost sigh. The comforter is the softest and lightest thing I've ever felt. Closing my eyes, I lay down more, feeling the mattress almost completely eat me as I rest my head on the pillow.

And slowly, my eyes close.

---

You see everything differently when you are on the other side of the fence. But what I hadn't realized was that there isn't a fence, but a block of knowledge.

It's dark. My hands are bleeding as their tied behind my back. And it's dark to the point where my eyes have already adjusted but it's too dark that it would be impossible to see anything. I'm sitting in a moving vehicle. My body sways lightly left and right, back and forth till I want to throw up. And I'm stuck with my thoughts.

I image the things I've forgotten. My mom. My dad. My little brother. I know they once existed. I know that I loved them so much that I'd do anything for them...but I also don't know them.

I feel something cold run down my face and I know right away it's a tear. It's the only thing for me to focus on, something for my mind to enjoy the feeling of, the tears letting my emotions go one by one till I'm weak and I need to use the rest of my energy to breath.

It could be hours or days till the vehicle stops. It makes a painful noise as the driver hits the brakes, slamming me into the wall. I hear a door open and close, along with another and then I'm completely blinded. Light fills all the empty spaces in the cage and I can't see anything. The sun is too bright and warm, and my whole body is melting.

"Open your eyes, Katie." It says. I shake my head, my arms trying to rip off the strong fraying rope tying my wrists, which causes more blisters.

I'm shaking and crying and I know how pathetic I look and it only makes me even sadder. A soft hand goes under my chin, bringing my face up, "You're going to be safe." It says, "I love you way too much to let anything hurt you."

My eyes open. And there it is. Blue eyes. Such a bad thing to be a sucker for. "I want to kill you." I scratch out.

They laugh at me, "Let's get her out of there." Arms pick me up and lightly set me on the ground. I stand, my numb legs starting to get the blood flowing again.

"Let me go, I can stand on my own," I say as I get my arms out of their grasps.

"Let's get her to her new rooms." The creature says. I look up, and up, and up until I see the top of a tall and large black skyscraper.

"Why do you need such a big space?" I ask.

The creature smiles a beautiful smile, "It's the starting of our kingdom here on earth. Soon, we'll be even bigger than the human population."

"You know, you're future wife is half human, right? You want to destroy your own wifes kind?" I ask.

The creature looks at me, it's eyes even bluer than the sky and the ocean combined, "Don't lie." It says, "We both know you're not human. We both know what you truly are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 52.4K 43
I left him. I never thought in a million years I would be the one to walk, but I was. I left the man I was madly in love with, I had no idea where I...
958 92 22
"Our entire lives led us to this moment, only for us to lose in the end. We aren't a team, a family, we never were. We are just a bunch of puzzle pie...
9.8K 303 50
???????????????? I started at him in shocked and disbelief of what he was telling me. "I'm sorry... what? " "I am rejecting you Star. " I look from...
2K 41 13
Tropes: Childhood friends to lovers, Soulmates, Twin Flames, she falls first but he falls harder (or is that the case . . .), you complete me, Tragi...