Surviving His Royal Highnass...

By dividiv

**COMPLETED AND UNDERGOING EDITING** Note: The title's not a typo. His fingers traced up my arms as I steadil... More

Disclaimer
Chapter One: Depression
Chapter Two: Wedding Preparations
Chapter Three: Confrontation
Chapter Four: Retreat
Chapter Five: Acquaintances
Chapter Six: The Big Day
Chapter Seven: Honeymoon
Chapter Eight: Second Thoughts
Chapter Nine: Making Amends
Chapter Ten: Call Me Stubborn
Chapter Eleven: Preparations
Chapter Twelve: The New Beginning
Chapter Thirteen: Adele
Chapter Fourteen: The Coronation Ball
Chapter Fifteen: And Cue the Confusion
Chapter Sixteen: Teaching a King about his Kingdom
Chapter Seventeen: Appreciation
Chapter Eighteen: Enlightenment
Chapter Nineteen: Maybe This is Love
Chapter Twenty: Bliss
Chapter Twenty-One: Mensiversary
Chapter Twenty-Two: A Proper Thank-You
Chapter Twenty-Three: Calamity
Chapter Twenty-Four: Relief
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Second Honeymoon
Chapter Twenty-Six: Recovery
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Old Hag
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Hyenas
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Third Time's a Charm
Chapter Thirty: Elena
Chapter Thirty-One: "As long as it's with you"
Chapter Thirty-Two: Clyde
Chapter Thirty-Three: Charmeuse Silk
Chapter Thirty-Four: By the Fireside
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Council
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Internal Audit Team
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Calm
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Resistance
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Postmortem
Chapter Forty: Young Love
Chapter Forty-One: Haste
Chapter Forty-Two: Crimson
Chapter Forty-Three: Decisions
Chapter Forty-Four: A Distraction
The First Night (MATURE)
Chapter Forty-Five: Detainment
Chapter Forty-Six: Matriarchs
Chapter Forty-Seven: Public Projects
Chapter Forty-Eight: Pairs
Chapter Forty-Nine: Reflectance
Chapter Fifty: Dresses
Chapter Fifty-One: Bruises
Chapter Fifty-Two: Setting the Foundation
Chapter Fifty-Three: Mischief
Chapter Fifty-Four: Exposed
Chapter Fifty-Five: Repercussions
Chapter Fifty-Six: Traitor
Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Verdict
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Nightshade
Chapter Sixty: Comfort
Chapter Sixty-One: The Play
Author's Note
Epilogue

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Trial

12K 557 11
By dividiv

Ash's POV

Evelyn gave me a long, yet calming lecture, during the respite. I knew I messed up earlier by almost striking Marcellus. But all I saw in that moment was red. Vengeance, so primitive that I was ready to stake my position as king just to kill him right then and there, flooded my instincts.

I sunk back into the throne, relieved that the worst of the trial was over. Next, my grandmother and Annabelle would make their statements individually in front of the court. I watched as my grandmother was led to the center of the room, flanked by guards but free of chains.

We had urged her to confess nothing but the truth, but only God knew what went on in her ridiculous mind.

My mother was near tears as she begged her mother-in-law to confess to the truth, fearing for the well being of the Devereux lineage should she put on her usual airs in public.

"If you appear just as unbearable in front of everyone tomorrow, what little faith Ash has struggled to restore these past few months will crumble to nothing. Please don't take your son's death for granted. Don't take your grandson's right to the throne away." She warned her.

Yet, as she lay on that floor in tears, my hag of a grandmother stood stoic as ever by the window, her face not betraying a trace of expression.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the worst. I was terrified of how her demeanor would affect public opinion of the royal family, which has been tarnished enough.

She was prompted to begin her statement. I could feel Evelyn tense up beside me too. 

"I did hire an assassin to get rid of Godfrey Annesley." She spoke clearly and loudly, almost proud.

An audible gasp fell across the audience.

"I will not waste the time of the court nor public by defending my actions. Only cowards would drone on about a sob story to justify their wrongdoings. What has happened has happened. I only hope that what is to come will be handled with more grace and... honor. The past may be regrettable, but I deeply believe in divine intervention. God has planned for Sedalia accordingly for a bright future, which has presented itself in the form of my grandson, Ashton. Although I must confess, I despised him for condemning his own father, my son, but it takes a great deal of impartiality and honor to accept such a truth in someone's own bloodline. I will take this momentous trial in history as the peak of a cleansing purge that will continue to purify this kingdom for years to come." Her voice resonated throughout the room with such confidence that even I grew convinced of her outward opinions, which I knew were still quite the opposite on the inside.

I turned to Evelyn, who seemed just as impressed by my grandmother's statement. She had sacrificed her platform in my support rather than pleading for mercy. I looked into her hard, hazel eyes which mirrored those of my father whenever he reprimanded me. In that moment, when our gazes met, those awful eyes seemed to soften - almost lovingly. 

Perhaps unconditional love really did exist. Although my parents raised me to feel nothing but indifference, even a bit of hate, towards the woman who created and bore such a dark family secret all on her own, I felt pity as she came undone all alone in the cold hall. It appalled me that the same blood ran through me as did her, and my father before me. 

Greed truly was a scary disease.

I silently prayed that it wasn't contagious. 

After her statement had been recorded on paper, she was sent away and Annabelle replaced her. She was visibly shaken as she fidgeted with her fingers and nervously looked around the hall. She locked eyes with Evelyn, who gave her a nod and a small smile.

As if on cue, she began her side of the story, "I-I have no idea who Annesley is. The only man I have known him to be my entire life is Marcellus. Throughout my life, I have known him as a blacksmith, a nobleman, and finally an outspoken member of court who had his own share of controversial opinions. I know him as a loving grandfather who took in a poor orphan and raised her as his own after she was orphaned a second time. If life was cruel to him, he made sure that I had no such experiences. I was raised with such warmth and love that I couldn't have asked for a better caretaker. However, he is also the very same man who became violent after his dismissal from court. The few days before his disappearance, I had seen him become a slave to alcohol. He behaved erratically, a side that I had never seen before and cannot testify too since he ran away soon after. I think it is safe for me to say that the man I saw stand before the honorable Crown a few hours ago is not the man I know." She struggled to contain her sobs towards the end.

We sat uncomfortably as she took a few minutes to regather herself, only to breakdown again. A member of the Crown cleared his throat, "Is there anything else you would like to add or have you completed your statement?"

She silently nodded her head, more than ready to stop being the center of attention. My heart went out to her. If my sad excuse of a grandmother evoked pity from me, I could only imagine how difficult it was for her to testify against her own grandfather who showed her nothing but love.

I could already tell tonight would be yet another restless one.

Sleep was so hard to come by these days. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 459 18
EDITING THE NOVEL, MAY 2023 - Everything will be back up soon! ------------- He stops touching me and quietly watches my stern face before speaking...
260 33 34
"Will you go on a date with me Crystal?" Ash asks. His voice demanding and determined. I roll my eyes and walk away. Ash grabs hold of my wrist and s...
264K 5.9K 43
It was all supposed to be a normal day for Camilla. But the shocking news of wedding the Prince of Jade Kingdom wasn't something she had in mind. Thr...
5K 138 16
"Ash." Meghan whispered as I ran to her, hugging her tight never wanting to let go again. "Why must you always get yourself into trouble when I'm not...