The Unwanted Mate (The Mate S...

By Bella94

"Tony?" I asked, quietly. He didn't move, didn't even change his breathing. So I leaned closer. Slowly. Caref... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2: The Farmer (pic of Aliena)
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9
Chapter 10:
Chapter 11 (Pt.1)
chapter 11(pt 2)
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (pt1)
Chapter 13 (pt 2)
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 (Pt. 1)
Chapter 16(pt.2)
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 3: Comfort (pic of April)

5.6K 128 27
By Bella94

Happy Early Birthday, BlackOpal95! Hope you enjoy. 

Bella

Chapter 3: Comfort

Nikole-

Gosh, I was so warm and... tingly. Like a soft electric current was running through my body.

"Nikole?" I hear a voice to the distance say, "Can you hear me?" I squeezed my eyes shut, then forced them open, blinking repeatedly until my eyes got used to the fluorescent lights. My hand automatically reached for the uncomfortable thing against my face. But my hand was caught. I glared up at the doctor he was still talking, but I ignored him.

"Mmm," I grumbled, jerking my hand away,uncomfortably. I heard a few sighs of relief.

"Nikole, you're in the hospital at our shifter base. You're safe." I heard another voice say. I forced my eyes back open. The angel! He was real!

Everyone laughed and the angel glared at them. They quickly stopped making any noise "Yeah, I'm real." He answered looking back down at me.

Had I said that out loud? Again, I was laughed at. More discretely this time, but still.

The angel who'd saved me pushed my hair back and I looked up nervously. "No, You don't have to be embarrassed. You just have a lot of pain medication in your system right now." He said.

"Where's April? Is she okay?" I asked feeling my throat tighten. "Did I save her?"

"Right here, baby." April said taking my hand. The whole side of April's face was bruised, I felt myself recoil slightly, then knew she wouldn't want me to worry about her so I change the subject.

"How long have I been missing my lessons?" I asked.

April smiled, "You get to go to a real school again." April said sitting on my bed but still looking down at me.

"Do I have to stay here?" I asked.

April looked at the doctor. "I would prefer it, but if you guys promise to keep her in bed I'll let you guys take her to her new home."

Tony-

After getting the list of things she couldn't do, which was miles long, I got to take her to my cabin where she'd be staying. Turns out Tony was prepared for everything I wasn't he'd left his lawyer with the papers for her guardian to be me.

I wheeled her into her new bedroom which April, Aliena and a few other females on base helped create for her while she was in the hospital. She gasped.

"What's wrong? Does something hurt?" I asked worriedly.

"No, Sorry. Nothing is wrong. This is really my bedroom?" She asked excitedly.

"Yeah," I answered quietly, and picked her up out of the wheel chair carefully while pulling down the covers and laying her down.

"You comfortable?" I asked tucking her in.

She nodded,"Will you stay? Until I fall asleep? Please."

"Sure," I laid down beside her on the edge of the bed and flipped on the T.V. on the in front of her room, watching the news.

"Who are those people?" she asked, quietly.

"Uh, they're the people who are paid to tell everyone what is going on in the world. Like... what the weather is going to be like tomorrow, stuff like that."

She nodded. "That girl on there is pretty."

"I guess," I laughed quietly while raising my hand to comb my fingers through her hair, "Try to sleep," I whispered.

But instead of trying to sleep, she asked questions. For an 11 year old girl who's been on the brink of death for 2 weeks, she sure seems more alive then most people. We had an hour and a half discussion about the Political views of Shifter's rights and what could happen in the future, if the government decided not to side with us, she finally fell asleep.

That was when I recalled what she'd told me in the lab... that she slept better when someone was talking to her. I clicked off the T.V. and got out of the bed carefully doing my best not to wake her up. Then I kissed her on the forehead and walked to my room right next to hers. I pulled off my clothes and threw them in the hamper only leaving my boxers on. In minutes I was asleep. It'd been too long since I'd slept in a bed. 2 weeks too long. But it had been worth it.

She screamed, I jumped from my bed and ran to her room. She was thrashing and kicking and yelling and crying. "Ow! No! please Don't! It hurts!" She cried. I caught her shoulders and held her to the bed.

"Nikole! Nikole! Wake up!" on cue her eyes snapped open, her breathing was rough and erratic as she fought to get a hold of reality. Then her pant turned into a sob. I pulled her gently into my lap and rocked her. "You're okay." I whispered into her hair, "You're safe. No one is going to hurt you anymore, Nikole." I promised, I held her against my chest rocking the terrified little girl back and forth soothingly running my hand through her hair.

When she finally calmed down, I laid her down again and pulled her comforter up. I leaned down and kissed her forehead carefully before going into my room again and falling asleep easily.

I woke up what seemed like only minutes later, to a soft poke to my arm. I sat up seeing Nikole in front of me holding her blanket around her shoulders.

I rubbed my eyes, "Nikole, You aren't supposed to be walking on your leg yet." I scolded gently.

She sniffled, "Can I sleep in your bed with you, Tony?" I could hear the tears in her voice, had she been awake crying and I hadn't heard her? Guilt washed over me, I was turning out to be a terrible guardian.

"Come here," I reached for her and lifted her effortlessly into the bed and lifted the blanket because she'd dropped hers when I picked her up. "Were you crying?" I asked as she snuggled against me.

She shook her head, but I knew she was lying. "I'm sorry I didn't hear you, Nikole."

"It's okay. You're tired." she whispered. I wrapped my arm around her and held her.

"But you were scared." I argued back.

"But you promised to keep me safe. I know you'll keep me safe, Tony. I just know." She murmured her voice going soft with exhaustion. "Goodnight, Tony."

"Sweet dreams, Nikole." I whispered back, as she nuzzled her head under my chin.

Nikole-

1 month later:

I had healed faster then the doctor had thought I would. I had been going to school about a week now and while the nightmares disappeared, the other kids picking on me only got worse. But I didn't tell anyone. Especially Tony. I knew he was busy with training the new recruits and working on 'damage control'. I didn't want to be a bother to him. I didn't want to give him any reason to not want me.

So I ignored the name calling, 'mutt', 'freak', or the worst, 'unnatural'. I knew what I was. I was the ugly duckling. It was just going to take some time for me to become accepted. I would find my kind, the people who accepted me for who I was, it was just going to take some time. I comforted myself with that thought. And I was going to keep the bullying to myself, but someone ruined that. I pulled on my coat and grabbed my backpack from the locker. I went outside where I knew Tony would be waiting to walk me to the car to go home. I saw Tony and he waved, waiting for me to get to him, until an older girl Rita pushed me. I fell face first in the snow, and turned over to look up at her.

"You should watch where I'm going, stupid Mutt." She growled, her friends behind her laughed and suddenly Tony was pulling me up and brushing the cold snow from my face.

"Why did you push her?" He growled, at Rita, she shrunk back, slightly. "Tell Nikole you're sorry, right now." He demanded.

"I-I'm really sorry, Nikole." She stuttered, I nodded and pulled on Tony's hand silently telling him I just wanted to go home. He picked me up and carried me to the car.

once he buckled me in and started driving he was silent for awhile. Then he asked; "Why did she push you down, Nikole?"

I didn't answer him. I just continued to gaze out the window at the snowy surroundings. I hadn't seen snow since... well since I'd been in the lab. It fascinated me. How it sparkled in the sun.

"Nikole," Tony warned gently I could feel his stare in the mirror.

"Rita pushed me because I'm a freak, Tony." I muttered.

"Because you're a freak?" He hit the breaks and turned to look at me in his seat. "Who told you you're a freak, pretty girl?" He asked looking hurt.

"Everyone. Everyone at school says I'm a mutt..." I lowered my head, ashamed of the truth. "I know they're right, Tony." I whispered, "I know I'm different then everyone else." My voice broke slightly.

"You're not a freak. But you are different Nikole. And that means you're special. Not a freak."I heard Tony say quietly before starting the car again. I knew he was mad because he didn't say anything else on the way- he didn't even turn on the radio. I tried to stop crying, but I couldn't help it.

Once we were home Tony didn't wait for me to get out of the car myself. Instead he got out and opened my door slinging my bag over his shoulder and unbuckling me. He picked me up out of the car. He closed the car door and brought me inside. Straight up to his room and I didn't speak, I kept my head down. Tony sat down on the bed with me. My head rested on his shoulder.

"How long have people been saying that stuff about you, Nikole? Since you started school?" He asked quietly. I couldn't speak so I nodded against his shoulder. "Why didn't you tell me?" His voice broke too. So I leaned back and looked up at him hesitantly. Heartbroken that I'd hurt him, with my secrecy.

"Because they're right. Because I didn't want you to worry about me. Because I didn't want to waste your time. You're always so busy, Tony..." I explained hic-upping after every three words.

"Nikole Scheme Raimi." He growled, I ducked back into his shoulder, quickly. Nuzzling lovingly into his neck, asking silently for forgiveness. He'd never used my full name before.

"Don't be mad, Alpha. Please. I'm sorry." I whispered, still nuzzling gently.

"I'm not mad at you, Schemer," He whispered into my hair. "I'm mad at myself. I'm mad that you feel like you couldn't tell me. I'm mad that I don't have enough time to just sit with you and talk about your day like your brother would have. I don't take care of you like I should, Schemer. And that makes me mad. Not you."

"Yes, you do, Tony. You take care of me perfectly." I promised, "That's why I didn't tell you. I like it here with you, Tony. I don't wan't you to get sick of me and make me leave."

"I want you to tell me everything, though, Nikole. I would never get sick of you. And I'd never make you leave. I love you, pretty, little girl." He smiled sadly into my hair kissing my head.

"I love you too, Tony. You're my best friend." I whispered, "Just don't tell, Aliena or April. They might be sad."

He laughed, "Okay, It will be our little secret."

"Pinkie promise?" I asked holding out my pinkie to him, he chuckled, but wrapped his pinkie finger around my tiny one.

"I pinkie promise, Pretty girl. Now, how about we take a nap, huh?" He asked smiling, as I pulled away and nodded excitedly. I loved Tony's bed. He picked me up off the couch and carried me upstairs to his room. He threw me gently on to the bed and I couldn't help but laugh.

Tony came to stand in front of me as I sat on the edge of his-overly- tall bed. He unzipped my winter coat and helped me pull it off my arms. After I'd gotten my coat off I pulled off my jeans as he did. Then we curled up in his bed as he flipped on the news, just like we always did when he got home from work.

Except on days he had to finish his speech or go over some new technique, or rescue mission, then he'd go straight to his study. I'd go up into my room and grab a book and my hair brush then bound back down the stairs, knock on his study door and wait to hear him tell me I could come in. Then I would stay in there with him, quiet and reading patiently, until he called me over to him and patted his knee. Only then would I get up- taking my brush with me- and walk over to him. He'd pull me into his lap and brush my hair for me in silence. I knew his mind was still busy with other plans, but he always acknowledged me. He never ignored me.

We talked until I felt like I was about ready to pass out, then I whispered, "I missed you Tony."

Tony sighed, "I know, I've been busy lately, but it will only be for a little while. Then we'll spend more time together again. I promise."

"Tony, will we be able to make a snow man, before the snow is all gone?"

"How 'bout, you and I play hook-ey tomorrow?"

"What's hook-ey?" I asked.

"You'll see," Tony laughed and I knew if anyone would ever protect me from anything- everything- it would always be Tony. He would always be there watching over me, taking care of me. And I smiled as I drifted to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.2K 2.2K 25
Preview Into Book. I was taught to hate werewolves because my father told me they killed my mother. But when I looked into the green eyes, I saw how...
2K 242 12
A human took everything from her. To escape the pain and heart wrenching emotions of loss, she fled into her wolf form and into the wilderness. She v...
2.7K 108 8
This is a Dark romance, shifter wolf story. There are scenes of abuse, violence, non-consent, sex. The male lead is crazy and obsessive. For as long...
126K 6K 27
The day that changed my life was the day I ran from it all and made the hardest decision of my life. But I had too, I never got to chose as I was cho...