Nao, Sou Americana

By RaeOfHope

Norma never wanted to be normal. She comes from the basic southern black family in Texas. Her parents are the... More

Saying Goodbye
Wrong Plane
Beaten
Check Point
Appraisal

Graduation

49 2 3
By RaeOfHope

“Please join me in congratulating The Woodlands Senior High School Graduating Class of 2010!”

Mortar boards flew into the air and rained down onto the elated graduating seniors. Most of the students laughed and cried. They hugged, some snog, while most chest bumped in celebration to four years well spent. Last minute photos and email exchanges accompanied the continued applause as the once uniformed group of students weaved and amassed over the neatly line chairs. Most of them.

Norma scowled as she ducked and dived through the throng. Her nimble body was no stranger to being stuck in a crushing crowd. But this crowd refused to move. So Norma pushed and squeezed her body through until she made it safely to the rear exit. She pulled of her mortar board and polyester robes, saving only her tassel and tossed the rest into the trash before walking out.

It was a cool June day. “The perfect weather for a barbecue.” Allen James had remarked. Norma rolled her eyes. Her father thought every day was the perfect day for a barbecue, save raining. The former senior bit into her watermelon gingerly. She enjoyed the taste and smell, yet she hated it all the same.

Same for the fried chicken and lip smakin' ribs her father was in the middle of throwing. Then there was her mother’s green, and crackling cornbread. Or how could she forget her Aunt Nettie’s famous sweat tea.  But that’s what black people always eat.

Besides her family’s home cooked staples there were lays, Fritos, Doritos, ruffles, hot Cheetos, and other deep fried snacks or cookies and cancer galore. Some had once been Norma’s favorites. Still were. But how would she be respected overseas when she ate that stuff. No, Norma decided her sophomore year that in order to get out of Texas and America, she had to stop being American.  Japan was a worthy country.

Norma inhaled her sushi rolls. Her mother had made them the best she could. Norma would have settled for store bought California roil. But Louisa Jones-James would have none of it. Though, Norma didn’t miss her mother’s (and fathers, and sister’s, and brothers’) eye roll when she made her graduation feast request, she was appeased to have them anyway.

Norma still eyed the junk food. She eyed her eyed her sister as well. Ella was basking in her senior glory. She was walking around. Queen of corn. Norma caught her sister's eye and they both waved. Norma sighed. She is so content. Not that Norma was jealous. It was easier, between them. When Norma entered high school, Ella had been upset because she was used to having all the attention. But after a few months, Norma made it clear to the entire student body, that she was one James sibling that was focused on school work and track. Nothing and no one else.

Norma had dealt with her brothers constantly teasing her about being a freaky forever virgin. But Ella welcomed it. Norma wasn’t jealous of her sister’s record of boyfriends. She liked being left alone. Ella helped to keep interested guys off her back. Ella even told Norma that if she dressed less girly guys would lose interest. Norma wasn’t dumb. Her older sister had ulterior motives, but she had been right. Without something to catch their eye, the boys at school almost forgot that there was another James sister. None of the popular students paid attention to academics like Scholar quiz or Junior Classical League, but when Norma climbed up the ranks in track, her name was more often associated as the other James sister. Not the pretty one, the nerd.

“Yo, Norma Jean.”

Norma scowled as her brother and a few of his friends spotted her hiding space. Norma pushed her barely eat water melon slice to the ants and bit into a sushi slice, hoping he would get the hint. But it was no use. Norma shriek and kicked after her older borther's body slammed into hers. his picked her up, which cause the sushi rolls to fall to the ground. 

Norma wiggled and struggled to pull her shirt down that had creeped up with Michael's attention. Michael's shakes were normal for Norma, and she knew if she just stayed still and took it he would stop.

At 6’1, Michael James had the inertia of a linebacker. He was no easily deterred. The first in their family to go to college, he had set the standard. He was loud, cocky, a looker, and mildly intelligent enough to pass in business school but his focus was macroeconomics. Still when he visited home, his vocabulary dropped and his action became roguish. His accolades were all sports nuts, proball hopefulls and never weres.. No vision just perpetuating another black stereotype.

“Girl, sit that Asian shit down and eat some real food.” Michael dropped Norma and she charged. He held her head in his other hand and Norma struggle to land a wild punch. His arm span kept her back as his friend chuckled and insulted her form and food.

“You swing like a girl.”

“Ain’t no man gone want bone, girl. Eat something.”

Norma tripped backwards and seethed. Michael rubbed his heavy knuckles on Norma head and place a chaise kiss on her forehead, his friends following. Norma sat and stared. She had planned to stay angry. But she knew her brother was a joker. He was rough, and intruding, but Michael always showed he was sincere. Before he left for college, he spent the whole summer preping Norma for track. He was determined that if she was going to have his last name on a jersey, that Norma would be the best. I just wish he would have paid closer attention. Norma cursed the fallen food and shrugged. I have no choice but to eat junk food now.

She stood and picked up the wasted food and dumped it and her water melon. She dusted off her back side and went inside .

“Norma!”

She turned to her sister’s voice. Norma strained a smile and waiting for Ella to catch up.

“So, you gonna come to Melissa’s party, right?” Ella twirled a chestnut corkscrew around her pointed not meeting Norma’s eyes. “The seniors are all getting together at her family’s country club. It’s a pool party. And there will be dancing.”

Norma sighed. Why are you even telling me? “Naw, sis. You know I don’t like being around a lot of people at once. And I don’t really dance.”

“I can teach you, hermanita.” Francis swooped Ella into a hug and placed several kisses on her neck. The two petted each other while Norma bit her lip and looked away.

“Don’t ignore me, azúcar. There is plenty of Frankie to go around, yes?” Ella caught Francis by the collar and brought him down into a French kiss. Norma rolled her eyes and spun on her heel. She had plenty of packing to do.

Japanese anime and manga posters decorated her walls. Norma contemplated for a long while whether or not to take them with her to Madrid, but decided against it.

“I’ll need to focus she reasoned. Only pack your necessities. Then you will have more room for favors and new books”. Norma’s lone suit case closed easily. Even with the minimal packing Norma was tired, She had been adjusting her internal clock over the last week so her stay in Spain would go smoothly. Her internship was a golden opportunity to escape, and she’d be damned if she spent it stuck in jet lag. Yet still, the sleep and lull of summer came over her. One little nap won’t hurt me.”

It tickled. That was Norma’s waking thought. Her body slow tensed for action, think a spider was trailing up her shirt. But her slowly mind didn’t recall a time when I spider felt warm. Norma slapped at her abs and encountered a barrier and a shout.

“Damn, girl. Chill!”

Norma’s eye snapped open as she tripped back over her suitcase. She ran into her wall bring down several posters as she scrambled for stability. Her eyes narrowed when she recognized her brother Aaron’s friend, Terrence. Norma straightened up and smoothed her clothes. It wasn’t long before she was screaming and footsteps followed.

Her father had his gun and her mother carried her umbrella. Both looked around the room for danger. Ella and Francis followed, both barely dress themselves.

“What happened?”

“He touched me.”

“Mr. and Mrs. James I swear. I was just checking her pulse.”

Norma’s teeth ground and she yanked at her shirt, “You don’t unbutton someone's shirt to check their pulse, Terrence.”

“Norma, calm down.”

“This bastard tried to rape me.”

“Norma Jean, you watch your mouth.”

“But mama he did. I was sleep.”

Norma coughed and choked as she started to cry.

Dragged step stopped in front of her door as Aaron and Michael yawned in unison. “What’s up, Ma?”

Louisa James looked between Norma and Terrence, “I think there has been a misunderstanding.”

“no, mama!”

“I want to know what a 20 year old is doing in a 17 year old girl room.” R. James had yet to lower his gun and was pointing effectively at Terrence.

“Oh, Junior put that thing away.”

Mr. James slid his gun back into his hostel but glared instead, “Fine, woman. But we get to the bottom of this now.”

“I am not lying!”

“T is with Sherri. Why would he try to fool around with you?”

“Aaron, I am your sister. How could you not believe me?”

“Terrence is my boy. I don’t even see you unless it’s dinner time.”

“Both turned to the head of table and shouted, “Daddy!”

Mr. James shrugged and glared at the door. Louisa James had sent Terrence home after her husband’s glare turned murderous. He was hoping his glare would follow him home. “Aaron, what was he doing in your sister’s room?”

“ The hell should I know! And even if he did, she should be glad. Most action she got since the doctor slapped her on the ass.”

Mr. James slammed his palm against the wooden tabled causing all sibling and even Francis to jump. Louisa shook her head and tapped her chin. Mr. James broke the silence, “You watch yo mouth, boy. Or ima watch it for ya. He had no business in your sister’s room. Norma, did you 8invite him in?”

“No.”

“She lyin’!”

“Shut it. You ain't too grown for a beating.” Mr. James kept his eyes on Norma. “Did you speak to Terrance at all today? See you later, be serious now.”

Norma pinched her brows and looked down. “I told you. No. I just woke up and he was there.”

Mr. James stood and left the kitchen. Louisa followed after him.

Aaron rounded the tabled and spat in Norma’s face, “You betta not say nothing else. I’m not about to let you mess with my friend.” Aaron was pulled back by Michael. Though they were similar height, Michael was way above Aarons weight class. Aaron turned on his brother, “Why are you defending her?”

“Because Daddy is right. Norma is a minor and he shouldn't been in her room. No matter what.”

“Mike you know Terrance-“

“Yay, I know he chases skirts, and goes after thin girls like Norma.”

“But he’s with Sherri.” Aaron pushed Michael hard am rushed at Norma. Norma squeaked and tumbled over her chair. She knocked over a vase carrying her dead grandparents’.

A dull smack of flesh hitting bone drew her attention backward. Michael stood over Aaron and was flexing his fists. “I don’t give a damn is he was rock Beyoncé. He was in her room. That’s enough for me. You don’t pick friends over family. 'Specially not our lil sister.” Michael stomped off to the porch. His charger revved for a moment before peeling away from his parents’ home.

Norma sneezed out her grandparents’ ashes and cough more.

“I will never forgive you for this.”

Norma looked into her brother’s eye before staring at the ashes on the ground. He walked forward and pulled at Norma’s twist. “You hear me bitch?”

“Aaron,” Francis spoke up and pulled Norma back into his chest, but not before Aaron got a free strands in his fist. “This is your sister. Not some burra on the streets.”

“I don’t care. If she ruins his chance at State… I don’t want her no more!” Aaron spat the blood from his lip at Norma’s feet.

Norm turned into Francis. She inhaled and exhaled as his arms tightened around her. I will not cry. Not any more tonight.

“You can let go now.” Ella’s arms were crossed and her arms were flat.

Mi corazón, she shakes.”

“Then she should take a shower. Can’t you see she covered in my mummy and bubby’s remains? And her face is covered in snot to. She can just shower and go to bed. She leaves tomorrow anyway.”

Norma reluctantly pulled away from Francis. She tripped over the broken bit and rushed up to her room without looking back. She was leaving. She was would never come back. Not here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 334 32
Norma never had a chance. Life snuck up on her, taking away the innocence that she cherished. She has an ex husband and a son who hate her, a baby wh...
229 66 28
Father gone, mother in a coma, Morgan Izhar, a thirteen-year-old girl was a mistake. Raised by her seemingly simple aunts and uncles who own a small...
15.7K 395 33
Vic is in for a big journey with his daughter. From loosing and gaining people. His life would never be the same once again. Copyright © sadsatisfact...
258 28 28
Melina a normal girl, with a normal life, but everything changes when she discover who her father and crush really are, her life became an adventure.