Our Existence

By ninasweet998

[First Book] Atsushi and Shiori are abandoned orphans who are living on the streets. They've gone a week with... More

Ch.1 Saving Strangers
Ch.2 Dine And Dash
Ch.3 The Beast Beneath The Moonlight
Ch.4 Cold Feet
Ch.5 Two Suicidal Maniacs?!
Ch.6 You All Are Crazy!
Ch.8 Blondie
Ch.9 Waiting For A Sign
Ch.10 Too Much Worrying
Ch.11 That's A Nice River...
Ch.12 Prideful Officers
Ch.13 All's Well That's Well For Me
Ch.14 Case Solved
Ch.15 Drugs...
Ch.16 Kunikida's Informants
Ch.17 Desperate
Ch.18 The Ideal Woman
Ch.19 When The Smoke Clears
Ch.20 Big City Bomb
Ch.21 Jealous
Ch.22 The Drive
Ch.23 The Flirt
Ch.24 Teamwork
Ch.25 The Azure Messenger
Ch.26 Kidnapped
Ch.27 The Better Student
Ch.28 Fighting Over Me?!
Ch.29 The Master Plan
Ch.30 Finally Leaving
Ch.31 Mr. Rich Money Bags
Ch.32 Family
The End
Bonus Chapter: The Other Woman

Ch.7 The Guessing Game

12.9K 510 204
By ninasweet998

"I-I'm so sorry!!"

...Huh?

It's currently the next day. Kunikida, Dazai, Tanizaki, Naomi, Atsushi, and I were at the diner that was located on the first floor of the agency's building. Tanizaki and his little sister sat across the table from Atsushi and I. Dazai and Kunikida sat at the counter across the floor from our table.

Tanizaki was currently bowing to my brother and I as he waitress brings everyone tea. He was very apologetic towards us. From the corner of my eye, I can see Dazai unable to take his eyes off the waitress as she goes back behind the counter to serve him and Kunikida.

"I'm very sorry. I know it was part of the test, but I feel bad... My name is Tanizaki Junichiro. I'm kind of like an assistant at the agency."

"Please, don't worry about it." Atsushi smiles.

"All is forgiven." I simply add while folding my arms behind my head.

Tanizaki smiles as he sits down. He points towards Naomi.

"And this is-"

"Jun-sama's sister, Naomi!" she happily interrupts.

Saying this, she wraps her arms around her brother. Her provocative actions left Atsushi and I aghast.

"Y-You're related? But your faces and your hair color don't seem that similar..." Atsushi thinks out loud.

"Oh? You don't believe me?" Naomi asks.

She slides her hand inside Tanizaki's shirt, and lovingly caresses his body. Okay, I'm uncomfortable.

"We're definitely related. I promise. We're especially similar around here~."

She slides her hand around, making Tanizaki nervous.

"N-Naomi, not here."

"Oh? But you like it brother, right?"

She leans towards him until they fall down into the seat. They disappear behind the table doing...something.

"But..."

"Some things are better left unpursued." Kunikida advices Atsushi.

He stood next to our table, facing us.

"O-Okay."

"In any case, kids, you're both are members of the Armed Detective Agency now. Don't do anything that others, or anything that tarnishes the reputation of the agency."

"No promises." I replied.

Kunikida glares at me.

"That is the one thing that everyone makes sure they do. Isn't that right, Dazai?"

Paying no attention to Kunikida, Dazai continues to flirt with the waitress. He held her hand in his, tracing his fingers along her palm.

"I don't suppose you could strangle me with these delicate hands of yours?"

"Oh~, just do what Dazai-san does." I smirk.

"No! And you! Stop tarnishing the agency's reputation the goddamn moment I say you won't! You never cease to do this! Don't worry about borrowing the hands of a woman. I'll strangle you with my manly hands instead!"

Kunikida stomps over to Dazai and proceeds to strangle him. I had my phone out as I took video.

"Oh boy..." Atsushi sighs to himself.

I just giggle.

"Um...by the way, what did you two do before you joined the agency?" my brother questions the two idiot detectives.

The two freeze, instantly stopping from what they were doing a second ago. They turn and face Atsushi and I.

"Oh...I wasn't trying to pry...."

"Guess." Dazai smiles.

"Huh?"

"It's a game we play with the new employees. They have to guess what our former lines of work. Think of it as a part of your training."

"I see..."

Atsushi faces the...siblings...across the table as he thinks. They stopped from what they were doing earlier, and now are waiting for him to guess. After a second, he speaks.

"Tanizaki-san and Naomi-san are...students?"

They smile at us.

"Wow, you got it on the first try." Tanizaki said, impressed.

"How could you tell?" Naomi asks.

"They said Naomi-san is working part-time, and she's wearing a school uniform. So I thought she might be a student. Tanizaki-san seems to be about the same age as my sister and I. So I just followed my gut." Atsushi explains.

"Nice and honest. Okay, how about Kunikida?" Dazai asks.

Kunikida spits his coffee out upon suddenly becoming the topic of conversation.

"My former profession isn't important!"

"Hmm...A civil servant? Some kind of work for the government?" Atsushi guessed.

"A nagging old hag." I guessed.

Kunikida sent me a death glare.

"Close. He used to be a teacher. A math teacher, in fact." Dazai replies.

"Oh~" my twin and I say in unison.

"That explains everything." I add.

"What's that suppose to mean?!"

I just smile as Kunikida sighs.

"It doesn't matter anyway. It's in the past now. I'd rather not think about it."

"Okay, how about me?"

"You...Dazai-san?" Atsushi thinks.

"That's right. Oh, and Ori-chan can't guess."

"Why?"

"You know why... I asked Atsushi-kun."

It's true that I know his past job. But it's not like I can guess it anyway. If I did, I would have a lot of explaining to do. And I'm not ready to tell Atsushi everything yet. I think Dazai is trying to save me the trouble of spilling my guts right now.

Atsushi stares at Dazai's smile, thinking. He's actually thinking pretty hard. If I didn't know already, I would have a hard time guessing too. Seeing him struggle, Kunikida speaks up.

"Give up, kid. His previous line of work is one of the seven mysteries of the Armed Detective Agency."

So his colleagues don't know huh?

"Isn't there a reward for the first person to guess it right?" Tanizaki asked.

My twin gets hyped at the word "reward". But I know Dazai. I bet the reward isn't real. Just a joke he came up with.

"A reward?!"

"That's right. No one ever get it right, so the reward is growing enormous."

"An enormous reward?!"

Don't' get your hopes up, big brother.

"J-Just out of curiosity, how much would this reward be now?"

"700,000 yen in total."

Atsushi suddenly jumps from his seat, startling the siblings across from us.

"Seven! Hundred! Thousand! Y-You'll really give it to me if I get it right? Really?"

Dazai just smirks.

"A suicide enthusiast has no reason to lie."

"Atsushi-kun, your eyes are changing color." Tanizaki observes.

"So much intensity..." Naomi adds.

"That 700,000 is mine!"

Oh boy. And with that, Atsushi begins guessing.

"Stock broker!"

"Wrong."

"Author!"

"Nope."

"Office worker!"

"Wrong again."

"Researcher!"

"Keep guessing."

"Lawyer!"

"No."

"Journalist!"

"Nope."

"Carpenter!"

"No way."

He's just randomly guessing. He's never going to get it right.

"Actor!"

"No, but...I'm flattered."

"I bet you were just wondering around." Kunikida guessed.

"Not true. This is something I'd never lie about. I take it you admit defeat, Atsushi-kun?"

"Argh..."

"Great, you can pay the bill then!" Dazai happily holds up the bill to him.

"Whaat?"

"If you don't have any money on you, just add it to the tab. The agency and this diner, Uzumaki, have a thing going."

Wait. Didn't Kunikida say there was someone complaining about Dazai not paying his tab. Is this the place?

Suddenly, a cell phone begins to ring. It was Tanizaki's.

"Hello, this is Tanizaki... Yes... Okay, of course."

He hangs up the phone.

"A contract?" Kunikida questioned.

"That's right, the client is already at the agency."

Dazai calmly stands and softly smiles.

"Time to get to work. You can try guessing my former occupation again some other time."

So the six of us leave and head to the fourth floor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 281 23
Y/n L/n never knew her biological parents nor did she ever really care to know them. She had loved her adopted parents and that was enough for her. B...
2.6K 86 10
[SLOW UPDATES BECAUSE OF SCHOOL AND LIFE] โ” โ The day of death has come to call for me... A stab to the back in the shadow of the dark. No hum...
181K 8.4K 39
[Third Book] The Guild moves in on Yokohama, in search of Atsushi and Shiori. Having enemies on their territory, the Port Mafia gets involved too. No...
94.8K 3.4K 23
They say that abilities are meant to be a gift. But for her, it isn't. It only caused misfortunes to her. It only caused countless painful memories...