Fighting First Love

By kauigirl

First love is an amazing thing. Most people find their first loves in high school, as did Lylah. She believes... More

Love Is Bliss
Life's A Beach
Blast From the Past
Easily Forgotten
Losing the fight
Broken Hearted
Singing Away the Blues
Confrontation and Acceptance
Bonus Chapter (Blayne)
Well. Hello Sexy
Secrets in Closets
What Do You Mean, Commando?
I Love Baseball
Bring on the Alcohol
Hot Damn, What A Kiss
Bonus Chapter (Blayne2)
Bonus Chapter (Caleb)
Surprise, Surprise
Touchdown Promises
Enlightening Underwear Rescue
Knuckle Head Brother
Bonus Chapter (Leroy and Keri)
Game On
Hoe Down, Throw Down
Surprise Visitor
Sweet Past, Confusing Future
Motherly Advice
Closure
Bonus Chapter (Blayne and Caleb)
What the heck?
Forever and Always
Epilogue

Sea Lions, Sharks, Dolphins Oh My

212K 2.5K 393
By kauigirl

After a lot of tossing and turning, I finally fell asleep and surprisingly enough, woke up refreshed and excited for the day ahead. It wasn’t anything serious, just a simple outing of two friends and a little cutie. I ignored the voice in my head reminding me that Caleb was starting to become more than just a friend. I went through my morning routine and picked out a cute pair of khaki colored denim shorts and a pink halter top. It was a bright and sunny day which would no doubt be a hot one, so I wanted to keep my outfit comfortable. I pulled my hair back into a neat ponytail, stuffed some money and my phone into my back pockets, sprayed myself with a light coat of Hawaiian Ginger body spray, and skipped downstairs to make some breakfast.

I got out all the makings of a fried rice using the left overs from our barbeque and after less than thirty minutes it was ready. Just in time for my brothers and extra guest to make their way down. Leroy and Keri appeared first and I sat quietly on the table, sipping some orange juice and trying to hide the smile on my face at seeing Keri’s hand firmly gripped in my brother’s. I must not have been very good at it because I saw Keri blush and hide her face in Leroy’s shoulder, causing him to chuckle. They sat, but before Keri could sit beside him, he pulled her onto his lap and began dishing up some food for the both of them. I’m guessing they were going to share because he only made one plate.

I waited for the reaction I knew was coming, Keri was far from a dependent female and she wouldn’t take well to Leroy being so dominant. She reached around him, grabbed a plate for herself and started piling it up, then she removed his arm from around her waist and got up taking the chair across the table from him and directly next to me. I poured her a cup of juice and she tucked into her food ignoring Leroy’s glare until he cleared his throat. She just raised an eye brow at him and smirked. “Is there a problem?”

“Someone needs another spanking.” Leroy smiled seductively.

“Yeah, you if you pull a stunt like that again. I can make my own food, Leroy. Just because we’re a couple, doesn’t mean you can start making decisions for me,” Keri said seriously, but smiled at him as she continued, “I promise not be so rough with your punishment this time around.”

A full fledged grin encompassed his face at that comment, “Why not, you know I liked it.”

I think I threw up in my mouth just then. “STOP IT!” I said sternly looking from one to the other, “I’ll be the first to congratulate you guys on your relationship, but please don’t talk about…spanking…or any other sexual stuff that goes on between you two. There are just some things a sister does NOT need to know.”

“What don’t you need to know?” Lance asked entering the kitchen.

“About me spanking Keri.” Leroy answered.

“Alright bro, nicely done. So that’s why I heard her screaming last night.”

Keri grinned mischievously, “Actually, that was Leroy’s screams.”

Lance was shocked, Leroy peeved, Keri smug, and me? I really did throw up in my mouth just then. As I swallowed down the acidic after taste of the orange juice that worked it’s way back up, I started to clear my finished dishes, anxious to get away from these heathens.

“Fried rice? Thanks Ly, you are my favorite sister.” Lance said kissing my forehead and taking my seat.

“I’m your only sister.” I reminded him.

He eyed Leroy, “Not based on Leroy’s screams last night.” He winced immediately after, “Shit, I was just joking. Chill bro.”

Keri giggled, enjoying Leroy’s discomfort before rising and returning to his lap to soothe him. “Sorry baby,” she said leaning in for a quick kiss that soon turned into a lingering one.

That was my cue to leave. I would be talking to Keri later to get the scoop on how their little relationship came to be, minus any intimate details of course. “Hey Ly, wait up. I don’t think I can stomach watching Leroy’s bad kissing…ouch! Damn man, watch the knees,” Lance winced again, getting up to follow me into the kitchen. I made my way to the dishwasher while Lance took a seat on the island to finish eating in a make out free zone. “Where you headed today?”

“Sea Life Park.”

“Oh yeah? Who with?”

“Caleb and Theo.”

My back was to him as he asked, “Do you think that’s a good idea?”

I turned in confusion, “Why wouldn’t it be?”

“No reason, just wondering if you’re ready for that.”

“For what, Lance? A little trip to watch some dolphins with a friend and his little brother?”

He gave me a look that told me he was losing his patience with me, “You know he’s not just a ‘friend’ Lylah. Not the way you two act around each other. If I didn’t already threaten the dude, I would have to sock him one every time he looks at you.”

“What’s wrong with the way he looks at me?”

“It’s the look I give a hot piece of ass. The one of a starving man setting his eyes on a nice juicy slab of steak.”

That’s just wrong, “He does not look at me like that.”

Lance just raised a brow at me, “Trust me he does, but he also looks at you with that puppy love look so I’m not kicking his ass for it. All I’m saying sis, is make sure you’re ready for something with Caleb before you jump into it.” He started digging into his food again, not bothered in the least by this piece of information, where as I was a jumble of nerves.

I knew Caleb liked me, but I didn’t think it was as deep as my brother was making it out to be. Was I ready for something like that? The doorbell rang and I knew whether I was or not, it was time to go. I wiped my hands on the dish towel and tightened my pony tail before leaving the kitchen to answer the door. When I did I was immediately met with an empty space, until I dropped my gaze a few feet and stared at the mini version of Caleb, “Theo!”

“Hi Lylah. I’m here to pick you up,” he said with a huge smile on his face.

“Wow, did you drive here all by yourself?” I asked playfully.

He laughed like I knew he would, “No silly, my brother did. Come on, I want to see the dolphins.” I saw Caleb standing by the drivers side of his car, resting his arms on it’s roof and watching us. His hair had that slight wind blown effect as if he had been driving with the windows down. He had a happy smile on his face that I couldn’t help but return. Theo pulled me out the door and down the stairs as fast as his little legs could carry him and started to jump in the back seat before Caleb cleared his throat loudly. This caused Theo to mumble an, “Oh right,” before retracing his steps and walking to the passenger side to open my door for me.

I’ve had my door opened for me by Blayne in the beginning of our relationship, but never had it been so sweet. I wanted to ruffle his hair in the worst way but I knew he was trying to act like a ‘big boy’ under Caleb’s guidance so I simply thanked him and got in. He slammed my door shut causing me to laugh at his haste and then jumped in the back again. Caleb moved to the back door on his side and made sure Theo was buckled into his booster seat before returning to the front and buckling himself in as well. I quickly noticed his muscular body looked nice in a white tshirt and black Dickies shorts with flip flops on his feet. He kept it simple and comfortable like me which was nice.

“Hey,” he said while starting the engine.

“Hey yourself.”

“Sorry about that, Theo insisted he be the one to get you since he knows you better and I’m still a stranger,” Caleb apologized rolling his eyes dramatically.

I snuck a peak at Theo and saw he was engrossed in a game on his Dsi. “And the whole opening my door thing?”

Caleb glanced at me for a second before turning back to the road, “Just teaching him the right way to treat the ladies like my dad taught me.” There was no sadness in his voice, just fond remembrance and it made me like him that much more to see him trying to fill the shoes of his father for the little boy sitting in the back. It’s hard to stop your heart from melting at something like that. 

The car filled with silence then, other than the occasional sounds from Theo’s game, but it wasn’t uncomfortable. We stopped at a gas station to grab some drinks for the long ride to the other side of the island. Caleb and I talked the whole time about anything and everything. His predictions for the remaining baseball season was one of the topics, he thinks my brothers will take the state championship. We talked about college and it turns out we both applied to our States University, wanting to stay close to home, but he also applied for the University of Florida and the University of Miami that have excellent baseball programs and a tropical climate close to our own. He wasn’t planning on making a career out of baseball, but if it could help him pay for college he had to keep his options open. Hawaii was still his number one choice, though, and he planned on majoring in criminal justice. I applied to Michigan State as a second option because I planned on majoring in education. Honestly though, I was really hoping to get into the University of Hawaii. I wasn’t big on travel, and Michigan is so far away.

By the time we reached Sea Life Park, we knew a lot about each other and I was surprised to find that we shared many things in common. That only proved more true as the day went on. We shared a bag of beef jerky on the ride, a fruit punch at lunch, and we both chose fudge bars from the little ice cream cart we came across while walking around. It was nice not to have to compromise all the time like I did with Blayne. Blayne and I were so different in many ways, but that’s what always appealed to me about him. That two people who wanted such opposite things could work so well together. Being with Caleb made me see how easy things could’ve been had Blayne and I shared our interests. There wasn’t any wasted time trying to decide what to give up and what to keep, we just clicked, and it was…nice. Comforting even.

The day was full of fun. We watched the dolphin show, visited the shark tank, and watched as Theo had a blast in the kids play zone. It was a miniature maze for him to run around in with a slide that he enjoyed taking a turn on over and over again. He had so much fun Caleb and I wished we were still that little so we could join him.

The highlight of the day had to be feeding the sea lions. They were so adorable. To my surprise, Caleb knew one of the trainers and as everyone started to leave, he pulled me over to him and quietly asked something. I found out what it was when the trainer, who’s name was Zeke, asked me to give the sea lion named Freddy one last fish and right after I did he had me lean forward for a wet kiss on my cheek. Theo laughed along with me immediately after and I caught Caleb staring at the two of us affectionately. I knew why he would stare at Theo that way, he’s his brother, but looking at me that way gave me butterflies. Lance was right, Caleb was really into me and I found myself returning the feeling the more I was with him.

We finally reached my house at around five, and Theo was zonked out in the backseat. I got out and opened his door, wanting to plant a tiny kiss on his forehead, and as soon as I was done I shut it then turned coming face to face with Caleb. 

“I had a lot of fun with you today.” He was staring into my eyes as he said this and my heart opened at the sincerity of his words. 

“I did too, with the both of you.”

“I’m glad,” he replied before gently taking my hand and walking me to the door. For not being a date, the entire day felt like one and this only added to that, but surprisingly enough I didn’t mind. 

Once we reached the door I turned to face him but didn’t let go of his hand. We had come to that awkward moment when you walk to the door and you don’t know whether you’re going to get a handshake, kiss on the cheek, or something much deeper. I was putting my money on the third option because I knew Caleb still had a kiss for me, but he was full of surprises so there was a slight chance I would get a handshake.

The silence stretched and Caleb looked down at our entwined hands while playing with my fingers nervously, “Lylah, if you’re cool with it, I’d like to do this again. Just the two of us, like a real date.”

The only thing I had been expecting was a kiss, not this, but surprisingly enough I wasn’t as freaked out about it as I was yesterday when he asked me to go to Sea Life Park. Spending the day getting to know Caleb made me see what a genuinely sweet, caring, thoughtful, and fun guy he was to be around. Yes, my heart was still fragile from my break up with Blayne, and a part of me still loved him. Blayne made it clear last night that he wanted me back, but who was he to decide that just because he had a change of heart, I should too? Maybe I needed to see what else there was for me, Caleb was my chance at that. I was finding that I truly liked everything about him. I was Blayne’s second love, could Caleb be mine?

I mentally shook myself. All he was asking for was a date, not to be my beau. I was getting way ahead here and making him wait ridiculously long for a simple yes or no answer. Going on instinct, I said yes.

“Yeah?” he asked a little surprised at the way I blurted it out.

“Yeah, I’d love to,” as soon as the words left my lips, he swooped in, taking his fifth and final touch down kiss. This one was sweeter than the rest. He kissed me with a gentleness as if he were imprinting his lips on mine. There were so many emotions flowing between us it was overwhelming, and I’m sure it showed in my eyes when he pulled away.

“Don’t let this freak you out Lylah, but I’m starting to care a lot about you. We haven’t known each other for very long, and I know you just got out of a serious relationship, but that’s how I feel.”

I started to panic. Although I was feeling things for him, it was nowhere near the emotions playing on his face. Reading me, which is something I’d come to realize he was good at, he started to reassure me, “I’m not asking you for anything more than a date, though, even if I want more. We’ll try this out and see how it goes. If or when you feel the same as I do, you let me know. The balls in your court. Until then all I want to do is spend time with you, is that okay?”

Was it? His hands were on my face and his thumbs stroked my cheeks. His brown eyes were awash with uncertainty and determination. Two things I found very attractive at this moment. Here was this eighteen year old guy standing before me, speaking with a maturity far past his years while most guys his age were running around chasing whatever girl they could. He knew what he wanted, and somehow that was me. How could I deny him something as simple as a date and some time together when he was making it clear he wouldn’t pressure me for anything more than that?

The answer…I couldn’t. I wanted to have that time together just as much as he did. Being around Caleb made me feel the way I felt around Blayne but with an added charge. I not only enjoyed his company, but I craved his touch. Even something as simple as a brush of his arm sent tingles down my spine. I was always aware when around him, it was electrifying.

I would give this a try, for my battered heart and Caleb’s hopeful one. First, I had to make things clear because I wasn’t completely sure of how deeply I felt for him. I didn’t want to lead him on, “It sounds good to me, but are you sure you want to do this. I’m okay with spending time together and continuing to get to know each other, but as far as a relationship, I don’t think I’m there yet. My feelings for Blayne are too fresh and I’m not sure when they’ll disappear, if ever.”

As much as it killed me to see a little disappointment on his face before he quickly covered it, I knew that needed to be said. He looked into my eyes once more and said confidently, “I’m sure, Lylah. I just want a chance.”

Isn’t that all anyone ever wanted? Blayne took a chance on me and despite the heartache of the last week, we had a good two years together.

Maybe I could have something like that with Caleb. 

I would never know unless I took the first step now. I leaned in and gave him a light peck on the lips before saying, “You’ve got it then.”

His grin stretched from ear to ear as he said, “Awesome.”

“Caleb!” a small shout from the car had us turning in that direction. “Your phone’s ringing. Mommy’s face is on it.”

“Okay buddy, I’m coming,” Caleb called to him before turning back to me and swiping his thumb across my bottom lip. “Can I see your phone?”

I pulled it out of my back pocket and handed it over. He did some quick dialing then handed it back to me. “I programmed my number in there then called my phone so I have yours. I have practice all week and a game this Friday, but Saturday is free. How about for you?”

I knew I told Blayne’s mom I’d meet her for lunch one day, but I could do that Sunday. “Saturday’s good.”

“Okay, I’ll see you then.”

“Caleb, mom’s face is on your phone again!” came Theo’s shout.

“I’ll see you then, hurry before you get in trouble,” I said pushing him toward the car.

He ran to his door but shouted before he got in, “Saturday now, don’t forget.”

Seriously, he was too cute. I smiled widely as he waved once more before starting the car and driving off. The smile stayed on my face the rest of the night. 

Later I had a dream, or more like a nightmare. Blayne and Caleb were in it, and they were fighting much like the night of the party. When they were broken up, each being held back by a brother of mine, they shouted at me, “Choose Lylah. Which one of us do you want?”

My dream self looked back and forth from one to the other completely confused on who to pick. My head shook violently before it seemed like it would blow right off my shoulders. I woke up in a cold sweat, grasping my chest and hoping this wasn’t a glimpse of things to come.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 111 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
1.4K 152 31
THIS STORY CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE AND MATURE THEMES THAT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 Although this book does contain a coupl...
238 10 15
Love is a death of a Life and the beginning of another. All the years of apposing the idea of letting someone in and giving all of her, will it be po...
423 61 22
A girl on her first year of school Is finding out about this evil couple with powers. People say that she is their child. Now she doesn't know who he...