HIDDEN VOWS

By xorlaliopel

[Formerly titled Billion's Bride] [STATUS - EDITING] "I want a church wedding." "You want a church wedding?"... More

•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•
Preface
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
Bonus Chapter
•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•

Chapter 32

45.3K 2K 190
By xorlaliopel

As aforementioned last night, Billion arrived at the Hamilton's home, a little after seven in the evening.

Clad in a creaseless black tuxedo, it was impossible for Emery to take her eyes off him—not when he looked so handsome and impeccably style worthy.

On the other hand, Billion was certain that her backless burgundy gown would hold him spellbound for the rest of the night.

The short ride was spent on talking about anything concerning the Dekker's and their renowned plush parties.

Emery basically knew the inhabitants of the Dekker household and what to expect before they set out to the party.

Still, his features were frigid and as much as he tried to free his discomfort by distracting Emery with small talks, she caught onto the act with ease.

"Are you OK?" she asked gently.

Giving her a side glance, Billion said, "You think I'm not?"

Emery shrugged. "I don't know, you are a bit down in the mouth today."

Regarding her with a lopsided smile, Billion took her hand in his and kissed the back of it. Without losing his grip on the wheel.

"I'm not really the homecoming type if you know what I mean." Emery nodded. "but I can survive a night with you by my side..."

"Look who's being cheesy now." Emery played along.

"Only for you, my love." as per usual, her heart flipped giddily at the belovedness.

He drove through the contoured driveway once the automated gates parted for them. Varieties of posh cars paraded the compound and it took another second for Billion to find a parking space. In his own home.

"Come on. We're fashionably late," Billion urged.

He got down, tossed the car keys to one of their awaiting valets and went over to get the door for his fiancée. Muttering a thank you, Emery took his offered arm.

She was overwhelmed when her gaze fell upon the magnificent building ahead—a modern version of a Victorian mansion. Its white walls and gold-dusted pillars stood as imposing as the man beside her. Everything was clean and cut. Onward, a long paved path curved around a huge marble fountain, its crystal blue aqua springing higher and higher.

She was in his home. Emery revered.

At the grand entrance that led to the banqueting hall, Emery could see two men both having cameras and a woman with a microphone. It was obvious they were media personnel.

Emery glanced up at Billion. He was already looking down at her—with a gentle smile as if he knew her thoughts at the moment.

"They are private journalists. My parents invite them to any family ceremony that needs coverage. You know, just to deal away with rumors." he gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm sorry but I'm not wearing my ring. What if they suspect something is off?" Emery said, her voice laden with anxiousness.

She had every intention of wearing her ring as she always does when leaving the house—just to avoid rumors. But then her Aunt's call had come through while she was getting ready and she had totally forgotten to put it on afterward.

"Don't worry, we will not be stopping to talk to any of them." Besides he had a better one, Billion touched his pants pocket discreetly to make sure it was still there.

"I'm not sure we'll be able to dodge the camera's though so just give them that beautiful smile," he grinned, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

Emery could not control her smile. True to his words, he did not answer any question when they walked down the red carpet. He just held her by his side and placed a soft kiss on her lips as the camera's flashed a thousand times.

The banqueting hall was filled with the most finest elites from Manhattan but Billion and Emery snatched the spotlight the moment they walked into the ballroom.

Even the chatter and clink of champagne glasses, permeating the ginormous ballroom, seemed to have subdued upon entry.

Noticing how Emery stiffened at the attention, Billion drew her gently to his side and gave her a reassuring smile.

"I know this is too soon, but I hope you don't mind meeting my family?" he queried.

Emery did a quick scan of where Ashley and a couple of unfamiliar faces stood, all of them looking genteel. Her stomach knotted, her anxiousness no doubt evident when she glanced back at Billion.

Billion saw the uncertainty in her eyes but it was fleeting.

"I'd love to," she said firmly.

Billion smiled and led her to the said group. His mother was the first to spot them and her smile seemed to stretch on for miles upon seeing the two.

"Good evening." Billion's greeting gained the attention of the small group.

"Miles. I'm so glad you could make it," Rebecca enthused.

"Happy birthday, Becca," Billion accepted her hug. "this is from Emery and I." he handed her a small wrapped box.

"Happy birthday, Rebecca," Emery said.

"Thanks, Emery. I'm so glad you came. Thank you guys so much," Rebecca gushed.

Knowing Billion had to patronize her because she came barehanded, Emery glanced down at her purse out of embarrassment. If only she had the time to grabbed one.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce your date?" Ashely questioned with a soft smile.

Billion grunted. "Em, this is my mom, Ashely, and that's my brother Ashton and his wife Rebecca." he pointed to the petite woman of the two brunettes "and this is Eugenia, Lewis's wife, and my favorite cousin." he pointed to the other lady who in turn raised her wine glass in their direction. "Guys, meet my girlfriend, Emery."

Baby steps. Billion told himself.

His girlfriend?!

"Hi. Pleasure meeting you all." The ladies responded cordially.

"From fiance to girlfriend? What did we miss?" Ashton mirth with his gaze trained on Emery.

Emery felt Billion's hold on her waist tighten as he stared back at his brother in displeasure. Ashley stepped in on cue before the birthday party could be turned into a boxing arena.

"I don't see any difference, Ashton. You are most welcome, Em." Ashely said, pulling Emery into a motherly hug.

Emery was grateful for the warm welcome and could not help but to hug Ashley back. She released a breath as some of her nervousness from earlier dissipated.

Billion tugged her back to his side the second she was out of his mom's arms. "Come, let me get you something to drink." he gave the group a curt nod and stirred Emery towards the buffet table.

Apart from the incident with his brother, he was the perfect gentleman—possessive with his hold and daring gaze whenever he introduced her to his male colleagues, but yet, attentive and loving.

Warmth returned to Emery's cheeks whenever Ashely glanced their way with a knowing look.

When the party drew closer to an end, Ashton called for the attention of the multitude, and thanked them for gracing the party with their presence, and presents. This elicited a soft laughter from the audience.

"And now, for the moment my beautiful wife has been waiting for. Help me welcome my own brother, Miles as he gives us another beautiful musical piece. Happy birthday, honey." he raised his glass at his wife who returned the gesture with a smile.

After the announcement, all eyes sought out for Billion.

This was the reason for his earlier distress. After he had vehemently declined Rebecca's request two nights ago—which was to play the piano at her birthday ceremony, the last thing Billion expected was for his brother to still insist on it. Publicly.

Inadvertently, his eyes fell on Emery who was staring at him in surprise and a look he could not discern.

The applause was still ringing in the air even after Ashton had moved out of the spotlight, and the curtain had been drawled, revealing the polished black masterpiece.

His nightmare.

His breath became shallow, cold beads of sweat cascading down his spine as he stared back at the instrument that once brought him solace.

He met his mom's despondent look, Rebecca's excited one, Emery's anxious stare as if she sensed his discomfort, and then his gaze found his brother's triumphant one.

Accepting the silent challenge, Billion moved out of the multitude and trudged over to where his piece sat, its sleek exterior, beckoning him on. He took his seat and gave the eager masses a professional smile.

"Tonight, I play for two wonderful people. My sister in law and my special someone... happy birthday, Rebecca."

He met the special someone's gaze across the ballroom as his fingers grazed the keys. Emery was in awe as she stared longingly at him. Not once did she picture him to be gifted in music.

But now, looking at him buried so deep into something he clearly loves, she could not help but to fall harder and deeper.

Once Billion began to play only you by Giovanni Marradi, a deep hush fell on the room and one could hear their very breath.

Like everyone else, Emery was so deep into the calming melody that she missed the presence beside her.

"Isn't he just beautiful?"

Emery turned a quick eye on the unfamiliar lady who now stood beside her. Who is she and how come she didn't hear her approach?

"Excuse me?"

Instead of a dignified answer, the beautiful brunette who looked a few years older than her scrutinized her from head to toe and pointed her wine glass in Billion's direction.

"On a closer note, you're not what I expected. Far from his usual preference actually." she gave Emery another dress down.

That was it. Whoever this lady was, she was being rude and Emery was not going to stand there and take any form of insult from her.

"And you are?" Emery sliced.

"Oh, pardon me. I'm Chanel, a friend of Miles." She held her hand out but got no reaction from Emery.

It was then that Emery remembered her from Billion's posts on his social media pages. After their break up. Call it solicitude but she had no intention of acquainting herself with Dekker's past lovers.

They only spell trouble, and the girl staring down at her might as well be the definition of chaos. On a closer note.

Chanel shook her head in disapproval. Taking a sip of her wine, she said, "with this attitude, even I wouldn't commit to you. No wonder he takes pleasure in my kind."

Emery heaved a harsh breath and told herself to just ignore the annoying lady. She will probably leave if she doesn't pay attention to her.

"Is everything alright?" Ashley asked, glancing between the ladies with a frown.

"Of course, Ash. I was just getting to know our dear Emery here," Chanel chirped. "nice meeting you, Em."

With fixed dislike, Chanel bumped into Emery's shoulder on her way out—showering Emery with her glass of red wine in the process. Gasps emanated from their small group when the deed was carried out.

"Chanel…" Ashely called her out on the infantile behavior.

Knowing her charade had not gone undetected, Chanel feigned remorse and went ahead to apologize to Emery in earnest.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, Emery. Gosh, I can be so clumsy." she implored but her eyes held anything but penitence.

Emery only stared at her like a ticking time bomb. Don't let her get to you. She steeled herself.

"I'm sorry, Em. Please come with me and let's get that cleaned up," Ashley pleaded.

Ashley sent her goddaughter a reproachful stare, but Chanel had already made her way to her group of friends who were giggling as if they were in on her plan. 

Emery glanced back at Billion who was still immersed in his public display. With a deep sigh she followed Ashely out of the ballroom.

Minutes later Billion's show came to an end and he strode over to the group to find his woman, only to have Rebecca narrate the incident that his lady friend orchestrated.

Billion's temper quickened when he met Chanel's smug look from across the ballroom, but before he could traverse over to her, and give her a piece of his mind, Rebecca placed a gentle hand on his arm.

"Please don't," she said. "Ashely went to help Emery clean up, they should be upstairs. Why don't you check up on her?"

Without a word, Billion trailed the path Rebecca had shown him.

                                       · · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

"You don't need to apologize, Ashley. It's not your fault that..." your son mingles with such crows.

"It was just an accident," Emery said instead and returned the woman's smile.

"Nonetheless, I'm sorry. Especially for Ashton's behavior." she offered Emery more tissues to wipe off the remnants of wine.

"Honestly it was nothing… I'm fine."

Ashley nodded. "It might take a while to get the dress cleaned up, but I'll have Amanda bring it back before the party is over. It's alright if you want to take a shower to wash off the stickiness..."

"Em?" Billion barged into his bedroom to see his mother and Emery. Just as one of their help had said. "hey, are you alright?" he rushed over to her side.

"Just a little accident. I'm good." Emery said lightly but she did not meet his gaze.

"I will check up on Amanda ... excuse me," Ashely said.

"Thanks, Ashley," Emery told the woman.

"You're welcome, dear."

Patting her son gently on the shoulder, she offered Emery another apologetic smile and walked out of the room.

"I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your shirt?" she tugged at the hem of the oversized shirt. "your mom insisted on taking my dress to the laundry before it gets stained forever."

"Of course not." squatting before her, Billion held her chin up for her to look at him. "Rebecca told me what happened. I'm sorry," he said sincerely.

Emery shrugged and glanced down at her freed toes. There was no way she was going to walk about the room in a shirt and stiletto hence why the pair of black heels sat beside the couch.

Hugging her knees to her chest, she leaned her chin on it and rocked herself gently on the couch. For some reasons unbeknownst to Billion, she was upset, and her anger was no doubt directed at him.

"I know you're upset with me. Go on, say what's on your mind," Billion urged on.

Emery huffed with strain. She swung her legs off the couch and rose to her feet, making sure not to flash him her undergarments.

Billion regarded her as she began to pace in front of the fireplace with her hands akimbo.

"I'm going to be honest with you..." Emery began and paced some more.

Billion was at the edge of the couch now, waiting impatiently for her to disclose whatever was eating her up.

"Earlier, you introduced me to your family and friends as your girlfriend without even... look, Bill, I don't want you to feel pressured or obligated just because we've been together as in together..."

While she stood there fumbling with words that brought heat to her cheeks, Billion's lips curled up in a teasing smile.

When Emery glanced at him, she knew right away that he was not taking her contentions in all seriousness. She arched a penciled brow at him, clearly, unamused by his nonchalance.

Billion rose up and sauntered over to where she stood— imposing as a scolding mother. Without a word, he dug into his breast pocket and came up with a small black box. She reeled back in surprise, her breath hitching when he went down on one knee.

Oh my God.

Though he had skipped many relationship goals, Billion was ready to start anew, from the very scratch. Irrespective of their undisclosed status.

"Miss Hamilton, I don't care about what anyone thinks cause I'm certain of my own feelings, and I should have done this a long time ago..." He cleared his throat and said, "Nothing will make me happier than to make you my woman. For now, will you be my girlfriend?"

──────────────•••─────────────
ɪs ᴇᴍᴇʀʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅʏ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴜᴛ ʜᴇʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɴᴇ?

ʟᴇᴛs ғɪɴᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇxᴛ ᴜᴘᴅᴀᴛᴇ.

ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ɴᴇᴡ ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴛᴏ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜ. ᴍᴀʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴋɪɴᴅɴᴇss ʀᴇɪɢɴ ᴛʜɪs ʏᴇᴀʀ.

ᴋɪɴᴅʟʏ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ sᴏᴍᴇ ʟᴏᴠᴇ. [ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ, ᴠᴏᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴅ sʜᴀʀᴇ]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 89 9
I sat beside the window of my room, a blank expression plastered on my face. My mind was blocked with several thoughts, emotions, etc. Anger, range...
67K 1.6K 20
After two years of smooth sailing at your dream job in the big city, a disastrous morning at your favourite coffee shop changes the course you had so...
13.5K 881 47
That moment when you are being stood up by your lover on your special day. When you are standing at the altar feigning smile at the one you ought not...