Pleasing Tribes [ON HOLD| REW...

By Rosie_Andika

Adaora must find a way to help her people when a mightier land threatens them. Rigen must do the opposite. He... More

PROLOGUE
 Chapter 1- we need a spy
Chapter 2-I have a plan
Chapter3- New recruit
Chapter4-Inside Business
Chapter5-Explanations
Chapter6-PRINCE? MY FOOT!!!
Chapter7-Saving My Life
Chapter8-Findings
Chapter9-Wrong Environmet
Chapter10-Goodluck Charm
Chapter11-Good Question
11 GOOD QUESTION
Chapter 12- GOOD MORNING
Chapter 14-Shooting the First Arrow
Chapter 15- In Private
Chapter16- Good Friends

Chapter 13-Sorry Your Highness

29 6 0
By Rosie_Andika

Chapter13-sorry, your highness

Aida

Rigen helped me get a chewing stick. Before I came out, I decide that I would apologize when next I see him. He had been nothing but kind to me plus I do not want to spark up any kind of suspicion.

"About what happened in the Hut, I am sorry. It was impulsive. I do not know what took over me I just... I 'm sorry "

"It's okay. It's just shocking to see a woman beat me"

The Prince did joke about everything. We sat down like that for some time doing nothing then Rigen stood up and walked towards the Hut.

He then came out with another calabash bowl. This not time filled with water but with food. Many fruits.

Did he know I loved fruits? Whatever?

He set the bowl on the ground before me.

"Thank you"

I said.

"Hey, before you thank me just know everything is not for you and you owe me for everything I did here"

"What?" It came out before I could filter my mouth.

"I am the Prince here but I have done nothing but work for you whereas you are the maid"

"Very well then."

I stood up And Gave 'The Prince' a tight smile. I then knelt down before him and greeted.

He shocked me by just folding his arms across his chest and staring at me kneeling figure. I expected better reaction.

He started laughing. Fool. Does he think this is funny?

"Is that the best you could do" and just when I thought he was done, he squatted to my level.

"I was expecting something more like. Maybe the promise of one night. Just one night won't be too much."

Before the meaning of his words could sink in he traced a line from my temple to my jaw and then to my lips.

Forget keeping my cover. The kind of slap he received. He best can describe. His crotch suffered one of my hardest kicks. What did he mean by that?

He had already fallen to the ground. Before he could recover, I was already on my feet. Who did he think he was? What did he take me for?

"Do I look like some kind of slut to you? God, you are an egoistic perv..."

"WOMAN, can you not take a joke ahh?" he continued to groan and roll on the ground.

"What?" I said in a higher pitch because of disbelief.

"Do you want to ruin my chances at having children? What is wrong with you? Oh, the Gods."

I was still in a state of confusion.

"I WAS JOKING. You are no my TYPE" He said emphasising every word.

He had already calmed down a bit. He still had his eyes closed and rested his back on the log.

"I'm sorry," I say while trying to lift him up.

"Hey, don't touch me" he said that pretty fast. He was obviously vexed.

One lesson learned, put your defences up but not too high. That had just earned me an enemy. 'The Prince'

"Sorry"

"Just collect fruits from the bowl and go"

I did as he said. I had just kicked the Prince in the...

Let us not complete that.

I picked a few. Trying to make him comfortable. I took so little that the bowl almost seemed untouched.

I walked behind a tree and ate. I did not realise how hungry I was until then. When I was done, I peeped behind the tree to find the Prince.

He sat on the log sharpening his cutlass. The bowl of fruit was not entirely empty. It still had two tangerines inside. At least that is what I could observe from this vantage point.

Then I heard my name.

"Aida"

I answered with a quick 'your Highness'

"I would take you to the palace. NOW"

I replied with a nod.

As appropriate of a handmaid.

When he stood up he went in to get something, I guess.

He emerged not to log after with his satchel and his cutlass in hand.

"Let's go"

I just followed behind. No conversation sparked. Just awkward silence.

"I am sorry" my big mouth.

He did not turn back. Wait, what was I expecting?

"It is okay, I learnt something though"

"Which is?"

"Aida," a short pause "you are a witch"

"Excuse me"

"Well that is the only logical explanation. You successfully made me work for you, you even manoeuvred your way and made me fall, and that is not adding the slap and the kick. The major thing is I am not angry with you. That all sums up to one thing"

"It may also mean I defend myself a lot"

"No, that does not explain the fact that I am not angry with you. Oh, I almost forgot, you made one meal for me and I liked it right away. You are witch"

My feet have become pinned to where I am. He then turns to me. His height giving him the upper hand.

"Aren't you?"

The conversation had become more casual. If anything, it almost seemed like he was teasing.

"Sorry to disappoint you. I am not a witch"

"Apology not accepted"

"Why?"

"Because when you apologize to a royal you should do so well. Like you are supposed to say something like 'I am sorry your highness'"

"Apology accepted" I smiled to him. We were beside each other now. I was at his left and him at my right hand.

"What do you mean 'apology accepted'?"

"You just apologized for calling me a witch and I accepted"

"No"

"Yes"

"If you say so. Your highness"

He said the last part, funnily.

We talked like that up until we arrived at the palace. I did not even notice we were there until Rigen said we should make a grand entrance. He said I should let him carry me for the heroic effect.

All I had to do was to remind him of the event back at the Hut.

I learnt a lot about him. His like and dislikes. I just did not grasp much about the attack on Ankra. I still need to send a message to my father.

RIGEN escorted me to Nora. The head of staff.

She was overjoyed to see me. I had to explain that Rigen scared me. She gave Rigen the look.

"Not to worry, RI... The prince" I corrected myself. "Was very nice to me, he even helped me with my injuries. See"

I said while showing her the healing scratches on my side.

Nona was on heck of a woman, she was really a mother. She look between Rigen and me.

"Hope nothing is going on?"

"No" Rigen and I chorused.

I turned to him immediately to realize that he did the same, though in his case he turned to me not to add that he had to look down a little. This is crazy.

"Okay. If you say so" Nona finally resigned from whatever she was doing.

"Nona, I am hungry" Rigen whined like a child.

"Sorry, what should I do?"

"Nona-me, I said I am hungry"

"Sorry?"

Was that a question? She was obviously cracking jokes.

"My daughter, are you Hungry?"

Was she talking to me?

Yes

"Not really"

"Nonsense, let's get you something to eat and leave this overgrown baby" She said the last part while looking at Rigen.

Rigen and Nona did behave like family. Rigen behaved like a child before Nona, which was somewhat cute.

I laughed at that.

"I'll be off now"

That was Rigen.

"Bye" I waved to him.

He smiled.

"Bye. Your highness"

He said the last part as a whisper. I found myself smiling foolishly.

Nona cleared her throat interrupting my train of thought.

"Aida, come. Follow me"

She was smiling sheepishly.

I followed her to where I presume was the female staff quarters it was a distance away from the main palace.

We walked to the group of huts. The whole time, which was not very much, Nona spent asking me questions about my injuries also why I was so foolish try to climb a tree.

We finally arrive at the huts. Outside a girl sat on a low stool breaking palm kernels with a stone.

She stood up and greeted Nona. She was polite enough to acknowledge me with a curt nod and a smile.

"This is Sadiwe" Nona did the introductions.

"Sadiwe, this is Aida. She would be staying with you from now. She would take Hauwa's place"

"Hello"

"Hi" I replied.

"Sadie, make her rest", she said to Sadiwe "I will get something for you", she said to me.

When Nona had gone, the conversation came alive.

"Is it true that, hmm that the prince... " she was wriggling her brows now.

"What?"

"It's just that a damsel was missing for some days immediately after entering the palace. That is enough gossip. To add to that she came back from the forest with the ever handsome prince"

"Oh please, nothing happened. I just lost my path then he found me" I replied trying to clear every suspicion.

"That sounds so romantic. My dear, just be careful with the person. You see all men want is for you to spread your legs"

"You have quite a view about the male population"

"Aida, that is what every mother tells her daughter."

I kept quiet. I talking about mothers did pull a string for me.

"Are you okay?" Sadiwe asked obviously concerned.

"I did not know my mother. She died while birthing me"

"Oh, sorry"

"Don't worry. So, tell me any new events around here?" I asked trying to get some information; after all, I am on a mission. I have not shot any message. My father would be worried.

"Apart from your disappearance with the prince and Hauwa's marriage nothing much"

This girl had a mouth. She could talk for the world but she was nice. She was indeed a good person.

She informed me that normally three people or even four share a hut. We should keep our fingers crossed for a new roommate or two.

Nona had sent one 'Eron' to bring my food. Eron was a nice girl. She was new recruit like me. Funnily, she too wanted to meet the mysterious damsel that got missing.

Nona let me rest for the rest of the day. She told me that I could continue work the next day.

Giving me time to roam the palace and understand the environment with my new friend Sadie.

She forced me to call her that saying that she did not really like the full name.

It was evening by now. Sadie had agreed to take me to the river. The source of water.

I was sitting outside the hut. I saw Gama coming towards the hut. When he stopped in front of me, he greeted.

After the teasing about getting myself lost, he asked for Sadiwe.

"And why would you be looking for that pretty girl?"

"Just asking, I have not seen her all day"

"Hey, I got missing for four-five days and all you can do is tease me about getting lost."

"Least I care about your disappearance, enough to even talk to you about it"

Just in time, Sadie came out. She stretched and took in her environment.

"Are you ready?" Sadiwe said to me. Behaving as though Gama were not present.

"Sadiwe" Gama tried to get attention. However, that did not work.

"Aida, follow me. Let's go get some pots"

Gama sighed. "See you later"

I sure do not know to whom he was speaking. Sadiwe or me.

The whole time Sadiwe did not look back.

Something fishy was going on. What is it between Sadiwe and Gama?

They were both my friends and I would definitely get to the root of it.

We walked towards the river with Sadiwe pointing at different paths. I just hope I do not forget anything.

When we finally reached the river. I summoned courage to ask.

"Sadie?"

"Yes"

"Can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"You promise you would answer?"

"Maybe"

"Just promise"

"Okay"

She then stood straight with her hands on her hips. Her pot was floating not too far from her leg.

"What is it between you and Gama?"

"Nothing"

The rush if her answer was enough for any stranger to know she was hiding something.

"Sadiwe, I know we just meet today but..."

"Can you drop the topic?"

"Okay"

We had filled our pots and were on our way back. Tension was in the air, you could literally smell it.

We finally arrived at the palace. We dropped of the one pot at the kitchen and the other, which was mine at the corner of our small house.

Night was about to fall. I was getting hungry.

"Sadie, I am hungry"

"We eat after the royals"

"When would they be done eating?"

"Very soon"

The silence sets in. the awkwardness had come again.

"Aida"

"Yes" I answered quite swiftly.

"Your question from earlier" she paused "It's just that..."

"You do not have to continue if you don't want to. Though you can continue"

Trying to add enthusiasm. The last part brought a smile to her face.

"No, I want to tell someone."

"Go on"

"I and Gama broke a pot"

I do not understand.

Did I say 'I did not get what she was saying?'

"What do you mean 'broke a pot'? Is Nona angry with you guys or something?"

"Oh, it's true you are not from here"

"Of course I am not from here"

"When a man and a woman break a clay pot together they are matches made by the gods."

"That is complex on so many levels"

"I know right? Gama is one of the strongest warriors this kingdom has and that is not adding how handsome he is..."

This girl could talk. I stopped following at this point. She was talking about Gama so much. It was obvious the gods did not make a mistake by putting them together.

"So what is wrong with that? It is so obvious that you really like him"

"Do I make it so noticeable?"

"Yes. Somehow. Back to the question, why do you reject him?"

"I just... There are many... I mean he gets a lot of female attention and it is just weird that he and I work in the palace. You know gossips and I cannot deal with that"

"So, you afraid of the enemies you may get?"

"Yes"

"My father used to tell me that people would always talk no matter what" I laughed a little but continued, "He used to tell me when people gossiped about me when I was climbing trees. They said nasty things like me acting out because I killed my mother"

"So..."

"I am saying that you shouldn't let people's view control you"

"I thought you said you were a slave"

"Em... That was before I was taken hostage"

"Oh"

Quick save. I trust too much. It is just painful that I have to lie to my friends around here. I wonder how they would feel when I leave.

They can never find out who I really am.

Eron came to call us for dinner. It was nice. I ate in the midst of many people.

All I have to do is get and arrow, bow, dry animal skin and charcoal to write.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 183 25
"All those emotions...are only gonna be your downfall." *** Innocence. Family. Love. Betrayal The young Queen Deidra, who was handed the crown has no...
362K 19.9K 73
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES ✨ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
139 1 5
Two strong and independent women. One, who is obvious at what she does. The other, who maintains her subtlety. One, who kills professionally to prote...
10.8K 214 26
The drums of war have just been sent roaring!! Now whom is my Father's grand army fighting against???, Well no one is entirely sure, but to instill m...