Resurgence

By Reed-ink

Tari Ibiyemi and Lani Olaere were highschool sweethearts. The embodiment of the term, 'Young Love' that adore... More

Resurgence
Praise For Lake County
Foreword
2. Stranger Tides
3. The Behemoth
4. Toll Point
5. Relapse
6. The Crusader
7. Chain Reaction
8. Love Thorn
9. Joy Ride
10. Tug Of War
11. Lone Ranger
12. Flood-Gates
13. Pawn Day
14. Alchemy
15. Kryptonite
16. Fused Hearts
17. Kill Switch
18. Silent Noise
19. Death Knoll
20. Fragments
21. Blood Truce
22. Bed-Rock
23. Penance
24. Maze End
25. Stitches
Revolt
Author's Note
Revolt
The Gentleman's Guide To Wooing A Lady
A Galaxy Of Two Stars
Black Rose
Tinted Scars
Update Your Libary
musings of a jaded poet
Singing Tendrils

1. Worlds Apart

3.2K 211 158
By Reed-ink

Love doesn’t erase the past, but it makes the future different.” – Gary Chapman.

•••

“You’re not getting cold feet now, are you?”

The intuitive baritone voice slammed hard into the wall of his trance like a pebble. The gridlock that seemed to hold the glass surrounding his thoughts shattered, causing the disintegration of the dark morass that engulfed him. For some unknown reason, there was a persistent, screeching noise that kept wailing like a siren―almost as if the pixels of his thoughts were shards of glasses, tumbling to the floor haphazardly.

Tilting his gaze up to meet that of his addressee, he donned a charismatic smile that spoke volumes of his prowess in handling the situation at hand. “Harmattan is coming, Ose. Who wouldn’t have cold feet? And I mean that both literally and figuratively.” He fiddled with his black ball-point pen mindlessly as he spoke.

“Literally as in, we’re in what...the second week of December so of course it is upon us, so I’d be having cold feet whether I like it or not. And figuratively as in, it wouldn’t be senseless to label this new project as the harmattan of all projects. I wouldn’t say it’s something terrifying or evil, but it’d send cold chills down the spine of anyone thinking about it. Even a living volcano. I mean, think about it.”

“And I believe you aren’t a living volcano about to erupt in panic?” Ose smirked, pulling out the chair by his right in a swift motion, and slumping into it in exaggerated comfort, almost as though he had been standing for a lifetime. Osemudiame was a man of many talents, but empathy? Tari wasn’t quite sure his friend-slash-boss was endowed in that area. “Look Tari, this isn’t your style at all. I’ve not seen you this worried since...actually I don’t think I’ve seen you worried at all in the past three years you’ve been working here at Sky. Now you see why this has got me really worried. Want me to chuck up this project to someone else?”

“Chuck up?” Tari scoffed and shook his head. “You can’t be serious.” He sat up on his chair instantly, like an earthworm wriggling in response to the aftershock of a pinch of salt sprinkled on it. “Who d’you wanna give? Fola? Fola would have better luck at constructing a timetable that would enable him to have time for work, than constructing the project at hand.”

“Of course, and taking into consideration his lackadaisical attitude and all. The sole fact that sometimes he wears sandals and slippers to work would mean that someone like him would be used to cold feet, both literally and figuratively. And ding ding!” Ose snapped both fingers in the air. “I wouldn’t have to worry too much about his feet freezing over since he is kind-off used to it.” Ose completed his retort—a mixture of amusement and mischief glowing in his eyes.

“Yeah and while you’re at it, why don’t you tell him to collaborate with Tej also? Tej should probably be devoting his time to opening up an amusement park in the firm’s compound for all the different women that come looking for him in the office everyday. It’s good customer service policy, to keep everyone entertained you know.” Tari shrugged and nonchalantly swayed his chair along an arc of small radius.

“Hey,” Ose called out in a cautioning voice, pointing his left index finger in Tari’s face with his elbow propped on the table. He might have been a bit frightened by the sudden swerve of seriousness his friend’s comport had taken, if his face was a tad boss-esque. At Thirty-five, Ose was still pulling off the looks of a high school sweetheart with glistening faded hair, a well trimmed beard, and a resplendent fair complexion that made him look effortlessly dashing in corporate outfits, just like his current kit up of a three piece blue plaid suit. So yes, it was hard to take him serious.

Look,” Tari picked up on a similar wave of seriousness as Ose continued to speak. “You might have your reservations for Fola and Tej—and while I may respect that ‘cos they’re sort of valid in your head, it hardly has anything do with the rest of us here at the office. No one gives two shits if Fola doesn’t show up at the office for an entire year, well no one except the receptionist of course...” Ose stroked his almost bare chin and arched a brow as if reconsidering his words. “…probably because the cumulative sum of the tips he gives her in the morning all through the year is more than the salary of the janitors. Who knows?” His friend straightened up and said abruptly, “But that’s not the point here.

“The point is, his family owns this company. He can lazy about all he wants. In fact, what am I saying? It is expected that he drags himself about, frolicking all working hours long. It’s what kids of business magnates do, and taking into consideration how much he lazies about...if there is any such word―” Ose rolled his eyes and sighed. “He is still pretty much hardworking in his world―”

“You’re not actually telling me to get used to him being like that now, are you?” Tari arched a brow. “Not even in ten green moons would that happen and you of all people know it.”

“You know what? Pretty much, yeah. You should actually ignore it. Take it all in and suck it up like cold beer.” Ose nodded vigorously, his finger propelling forward and backward like he double tapped an invisible air panel. “That’s exactly what I’m telling you to do. It’s only a matter of years before he’d inherit the company and take his grand dad’s place, and unless you plan on dying before then―you’d be pretty much under him, yes or yes?”

“Why does death come into this? There are other ways through which I might not be here when that time comes around.”

“Like leaving this firm to another one? Uh, hello! Nope. Big no. That’s not happening because well if you didn’t fully understand the meaning of the sentence – ‘Biggest architectural firm in the country’, let me enlighten you further that it also means, no other company in this country would pay you as much as we do and also provide such vast, mind blowing job opportunities like getting to build the house of probably the most celebrated couple in the world, right now―”

“In the world?” He echoed Ose’s words and made a subtle grunt. “That’s a little bit far fetched, isn’t it? Dayo Tijani isn’t exactly the prince of England, you know.”

“Do you also understand the concept behind figures of speech? I doubt. If you did, you wouldn’t blindly attack that–―”

“You could have just said most celebrated couple in the country―”

That. . .would have come off sort of lame, taking into consideration the build up and the level of seriousness my voice was at. It had to be something colossal―”

Africa then―”

“For some reason, Africa sounds quite small compared to even Nigeria. I mean, asides from South Africa and Ghana, and Nigeria of course which other African country would you consider if going on a vacation―”

“There are different sorts of vacations. Ones for pleasures, one for exploring and of course, one for connecting with inner spirits and all them zen ish. So yeah there are many other places to consider like Kenya―”

“Really?” Ose gave Tari one of his best sarcastic looks. “Connecting with your inner spirit thingy and you’re supposedly thinking outside the box? Apparently you’re dead stuck in the middle of the box ‘cos no, my friend, right here—” He tapped Tari’s desk with the tips of his index fingers. “—We have it right here in the country. We have to be the most spiritual country in the world.”

Tari face-palmed and sighed. “I don’t necessarily mean Christianity and Islam―”

“Wait a sec, the whole point of this bickering is to make me see reason as to why I should’ve called Dayo Tijani and his fiancée the most celebrated couple in the country and not in the world, right?”

Tari couldn’t help the smile of victory that stretched his lips, as he leaned back comfortably on his chair. “Actually in the state even, not the country. The country is...err, say―farthest-fetched. You don’t think people in the North, which is flooded with both uneducated and educated people in absurdly unequal proportions―facing all sorts of tribulations would give two shizels about one of the most celebrated novelists in African history getting married? Of course you don’t. Once again, you should know better.”

Ose feigned a look of disappointment. “But even you have to admit that is kind off anticlimactic. Surely, after calling this firm the biggest in the country, I wasn’t going to reduce the territory when describing the employment opportunities it produced.”

“But that’s your problem, not mine.” Tari shrugged. He continued to sway his chair— this time rocking it back and forth, mindlessly.

“Actually, it is yours because you were the one who said something about leaving here. Anyway, what the hell was I talking about before you goofed?”

“I goofed?”

“Young man, drop it.” Ose wore a deadpan expression with his head tilted to the side.

“Okay okay. We were talking ‘bout how no one gives two shits if Fola doesn’t show up to the office in a year, except the receptionist who gets a lot of—”

“Tips from him, I know. No need to refresh my memory. I’m not the one who has been passing out in my thoughts since I gave you the announcement in the morning.” Ose scowled. “And Tej’s work strategies? It’s good for business. No one cares if he is a playboy. He puts in work when he’s supposed to and he doesn’t show up here when he isn’t supposed to. Pretty sufficient if you ask me. Everyone can’t be a workaholic like you, Tari―”

“I’m not saying he should be like me―”

“That’s what you’re saying, man. Try to listen to yourself next time before you talk. So, we should be happy about him. Not we as in me and the rest, we as in me, you and the rest because he brings a lot of customers here to the firm. Is it until one of the daughters of Otedola come to seek him out here that you’d finally respect him?”

“I highly doubt that,” He chuckled softly. “I know one daughter is in a relationship with a musician that calls himself Mr. Eazi―”

“Look, you need to take it easy―”

“And the other one is a DJ, who according to her tweets is always touring countries all the time while claiming she hustled, despite being the daughter of one of the most powerful billionaires in the country―”

“There you go, you didn’t say the world. You stick to your principles, don’t you―”

“That one is a topic entirely for another day. One that will never come because I have better things doing with my time than arguing on the topic of whether kids of magnates work hard enough.” Tari finished.

“You see why you should take it easy on Fola?” Ose flicked both of his thumbs over his middle fingers—producing a loud thump sound to emphasize on his points. “He’s just like those kids, except the fame though. He quite damped on that side.”

“Yeah, and less money.” Tari spat. “What were we talking about again?”

“About how we should postpone the topic of whether DJ Cuppy hustled or not?”

Urgh!” Tari smacked his forehead in a manner that seemed migraine-inflicting. “God, no. I mean at the very beginning.” He deadpanned.

“Oh,” Ose cupped his chin in a curious manner, that didn’t seem genuine to Tari. “Chill give me a moment.”

“Got it.” He nodded, as the brief spell of silence commenced. Unconsciously, his free fingers on the table decided to fill in the void of the moment, by drumming on the table—producing a very unfriendly rhythm that Ose didn’t fail to express his utter distaste for. “Hold it,” He held up the right hand that had been busy in setting off his friend’s irritation. “Save the speech for when you actually remember what we were talking about in the first place.”

Ose propped his second arm on the table, and clasped his fingers. “So you really bought that? You think that I’m actually that dumb and I needed time to remember what I was talking about earlier?”

“Guilty conscience,” Tari raised his hands up in helpless surrender. “I didn’t say a word.”

“If today was a Friday, I’d have loved to continue this fun conversation but it’s Monday and we both have a lot on our respective desks to attend to, so I’d just cut to the chase. You have to take this project. You don’t have a choice, any at all. It’s this or nothing. Dayo Tijani himself specifically recommended the man that helmed the construction of the newly commissioned Lake High division on the mainland. So, unless you have a plan to stall him until Lake High decides to set up another building somewhere on the mainland and hire another architect―so that his point of reference on you could shift to that person, then I really don’t see how you want to escape this.”

I know I can’t escape it.

This looming project was of colossal importance, and even that was an understatement. Despite Tari’s highly influential status as one of very few successful eminent young architects at Sky, a position that granted him the privilege to determine his own projects―this was one he couldn’t run from. Sky might be the most acclaimed architectural firm in the country, just like Ose had stated earlier but that didn’t make it immune to rivalry and competition. Just like every other successful firm, it had more than its own fair share of competition from fellow behemoths and even underdogs.

In other words, Sky winning the contract only went further to emboss their omnipotent image, as perceived by the public and also scaring off potential competition, by dealing a heavy blow to every other company in the industry. They were surely not going to let it slip from their fingers, even if their most valuable asset―him―wasn’t feeling up to the task.

His current stream of thoughts, brought into light so many things he had intentionally neglected.

One was his position in the firm. Over the past three years, he had sacrificed almost every second of his life to work. Such trait automatically became a factory setting as he crossed the threshold of adulthood owing to his harsh and trying past. Being the only child of two retirees that had given up all hope in producing an offspring because of their old age, hustle had become his one true sibling and friend.

Due to the situation of things, he had been tossed about like a pamphlet from one relative to the other, who temporarily assumed the role of catering for his needs. He had gotten so accustomed to going beyond the extra mile in proving to his many guardians that he was worth taking the financial risk on. And while they weren’t exactly unpleasant people who put him through unnecessary hardship, it wasn’t exactly the type of life anyone would have envisioned for an only child of a middle class home. Luxury was the space between his ears that he never saw. But, that was all in the past.

His unrelenting, stubborn spirit to work had indeed paid off. Or rather, was paying off. At age twenty-seven, he could afford things that his mates could fantasize in their wildest dreams, while knowing they wouldn’t be able to afford such in their life and even that was an understatement. Yet, that wasn’t the turning point for him. No matter how much his wealth and money accumulated and grew, no matter how much mint he amassed, he just couldn’t sculpture the demise of the diehard spirit of work in him. Some called it a curse.

“…And he’s gone again!” Ose’s exclamation pulled him back to the present. That was when he realized his friend was already on his feet and just about to exit his office. He couldn’t help his gaze from roaming around of their own accord as they took in once again, the pride that was his new office.

The colors―Grey and White―dominated the lavishly decorated interior, highly reminiscent of the title recently clinched by him. White spherical fluorescent bulbs dotted the dark ceiling like stars twinkling in the night magic, casting an illuminating umbrella that encompassed the entire room, which consisted of polished contemporary furniture, vivacious art paintings displayed in glass panels that exuded an alive effect and a plain wallpaper, freckled with blots of differing colors in form of slurped paint.

His table was a design fuss of many colors, appearing like a color palette that was home to an Apple Imac Pro, an office telephone and various stashes of documents stacked up at its edges. The rest of the room was mostly scanty in terms of space―with a receptive lounge demarcated by a threshold.

“Look, in a moment or two, the interior designer from Graffity is going to be joining us for a brief get-to-know-you meeting and you my friend, is the one that should pay more attention ‘cos you’d be working very closely with her in the coming days.”

“Working closely?” He stood up from his chair as well. “Since when did I have business with what’s done inside the house? I’m concerned about the building not the furnishing. I’ve not dabbled into that business before.”

“Well, unfortunately, Tiolu Keye―Dayo’s fiancée―specifically said that they wanted the people that’d design and furnish the house to be carried along in the process so that there could be a central theme everyone would work on. And that’s really how things are done in houses these days. It’s just that you’ve been too busy with the building of banks and schools lately, that you’ve of course missed out on that. So yeah, she’s coming over today.” He paused, letting his gaze stray downwards to the silver metal watch strapped to his left wrist. “In fact, she should be here any moment from now and I hear that she is quite the beauty. So you might want to button up your shirt and adjust your belt or something. You know, look a little less...”

“A little less what?” Tari’s enquiry made Ose muffle a dishonest cough. “And of course, you’d know the pretty ones.” He sighed, battling with the temptation to roll his eyes. “Do you know who she is? I hope it isn’t that Stephanie Waller that worked with Fola the last time.”

Ose bit back a smile. “Nope, it’s not Stephanie. Plus if it was her, you shouldn’t be worried about her coming on to you because you’re not her type. She prefers more laid back men, and you my friend, is quite the rigid fella. Anyhoo, I really don’t know this one coming. She is quite new, so I’m told. Besides, I did ask for her name. I just can’t really remember.” Ose shrugged uninterestingly. “I think it’s a Lani Olaire or Olaere something. Not sure which―”

Lani Olaere!

The gravity of Ose’s statement slapped him hard and left him reeling―vulnerable even. Just in the moment, a soft knock rapped on the door. Oh, God No. It couldn’t be! His heart rate picked up and escalated instantly like the drummer of his heartbeat had called for reinforcements, and had extra hands on the job. He was more concerned about his heart, shooting out of his chest at any moment and leaving him lifeless.

Lani Olaere.

He couldn’t fathom how wild her reaction would be, or how much hate and spite that would be highlighted by it, which was exactly what he deserved for pulling off that reckless stunt ten years ago. He had been lucky to get away unscathed, with her taking the fall for the fallout of his grand scheme years back. But he, just like every average human, knew that no sin ever went unpunished―maybe this was his very own fair chunk of punishment. To live through hell, while working and joining forces with Lani, paving way for past demons and regrets to haunt and batter him to his end. Still, even that felt inadequate for what he had put her through years back. Matter of fact, no punishment—no matter how inhumane or grave was adequate. Not even death or eternal damnation in hell.

Nothing at all.

He could only hope fervently, that the person on the other side of the door was only a namesake and not her.

“Get your act together, she’s here.” Ose’s voice knocked him out of his thoughts once again. “And please, try to smile a bit. Show some incisors, maybe little canines too. I know it’s not your style, but the plan is to make her feel at home. You know, good reception.” Ose coughed and adjusted his tie, where it was cinched firmly onto his neck. “Don’t worry, you have a very strict reputation outside this building. She wouldn’t think you’re flirting with her or something...”

He couldn’t swallow past the lump that had formed in his throat, as his hands sunk into the pockets of his trousers. If Lani was indeed the one behind that door, he had to summon every single circuit of energy that he had in him. He couldn’t waste a single charge replying Ose’s frivolous remarks.

Ose strode over to the door, and pulled it open to confirm his greatest fear. A lady waltzed in with the most graceful, curt steps. She was indeed the one, and despite his shaken, frightened state―he became a prey of her ever stunning beauty, mesmerized at the heights that it had attained in the years of silence that laddered their distance. She bowed her head curtly to Ose in greetings and came into light fully. That was when it happened.

The meeting of their gazes.

Those were the eyes he knew too well―those possessing, rich black eyes, that one could lose oneself in and sink endlessly into a bottomless chasm if they stared hard enough. The nose that the best of architects in the human making factory had broken boundaries in, with its innovative low pointed edge. Those plump, full, maroon lips that he had been once privileged to meet with his and the overall facial profile that never failed to put a full stop on his breathing―all before him.

As beautiful as always.

Her short, black crochet braids hung in curls, which towered down to her neck and concealed half of her face, leaving one half that was enough to read her overall expression―stunned, just like he was. She was absolutely stunned. Her eyes dilated rapidly, shrinking to its original length afterwards. To be honest, she seemed a lot less astonished than he anticipated. He’d have bet her reaction would have followed the chain reaction of shock, questioning and eventually climaxing in an outburst of anger that would lead to very gory tides. But, it seemed like that wasn’t going to be the pattern of things today.

“So... you’re just going to look at her all day? You’re not going to say hi?” And for the umpteenth time, Ose came to the rescue. Facing Lani, his friend continued. “Sorry, he doesn’t usually stare that long, he’s just been acting very weird since today began. Monday fever, I suppose. I guess he is a late harmattan adjuster.”

“Oh, I doubt that.” And there was that silk, velvety voice he knew too well. Lani straightened up, and advanced towards Tari’s desk. As she walked, the light danced fully on her mouth watering figure. She looked sumptuous in her outfit of a navy blue laced up blouse, champagne asymmetrical jacket with zipper cuffs and flamboyant sleeves, a seamless pencil skirt  in a complimentary blue color―one that grazed her knees―and laced up high-heeled ankle boots.

For a woman with an almond complexion, she looked as radiant as one with a porcelain tint. And with a pear shape figure, her arsenal was brimming to its peak with weapons―weapons that she needn’t use to kill, before they were able to kill.

“This one looks like he adjusts to things quite fast if you ask me.” Her equanimity had swiftly morphed into that of a confident, bold one. And that was the Lani he knew. “Lani Olaere,” She added, extending her right hand for an handshake while a charismatic, professional smile grazed her face. He’d have been deceived by its apparent genuineness, if she wasn’t someone he knew from the past. “Have we met before? Your face looks quite familiar.”

He was rendered stiff and static, even as he returned her handshake. What was it with her attitude? Fine, she wanted to play apathetic but that didn’t mean she had to be this enthusiastic. She was beaming over like she had just met her most cherished and revered role model or something.

“Uh, probably. Maybe.” He managed to say. His words came out in a gruff, hoarse tone, prompting him to clear his throat. But before he could utter another word in reply, she butt in.

Nah, I don’t think so.” She shook her head, causing her braids to swirl around. At this point, he had to reconcile this image of the person before him with the one he knew from years back because he was beginning to doubt if it was the same person. “You have one of those faces that are quite, very fitted to your occupation. Let me put it that way. So this is exactly what I’d have pictured if they told me I was meeting with a young architect.”

His brows furrowed, as his hands fell back to his sides. “Is that a compliment?”

Her eyes narrowed in rueful amusement. “No, not a compliment.” Tari’s eyes widened by a narrow margin on both lids and returned to it’s normal size on hearing her next words. “Not an insult either, just the truth.”

“I see,” He nodded, swallowing for what seemed like the hundredth time.

“And I see that you people have a lot of getting to know each other better to do.” Ose added, walking over to join them by the desk. “So I’d excuse you both.” He looked over at Lani, offering her a bright smile. “Please get comfortable and feel at home. But, I implore you, don’t get too comfortable around this one,” He motioned to Tari and paused before saying, “He doesn’t exactly have a good reputation with the ladies. Trust me.”

“Oh, I happen to know a little something about that.” She chuckled gently in comprehension, as Ose excused himself from the room. After the door slammed shut, Tari expected her pleasant demeanor to vanish and get replace by a scowl, or a frown, or anything negative but it didn’t. It remained in place.

“So, what’s the deal?” He asked, as they both settled into seats.

She took the one previously occupied by Ose, adjusted to a befitting sitting posture before meeting his gaze again. “What’s what deal?”

“When do you stop acting like you’re actually happy to see me, and finally unsheathe that pistol that you’re hiding somewhere in your jacket.”

She startled him by breaking into an infectious, raucous, rich laugh that of course managed to invade him also leaving the remnants of a smile. “Why the hell would you think that, Tari?...”

Okay, she is really the one.

“…even if I wasn’t happy to see you, I didn’t know it was going to be you. So how would I have prepared by putting a gun in my bag? I can see you haven’t lost your sense of humor. That’s great, really great. What else haven’t you lost?”

My attraction for you.

“Well my head is still intact, and every other part of my body.” He replied—his tensed body easing finally. “I mean, just so you know…in case you were hoping that I’d have gotten into maybe some sort of ghastly accident in the past that might have claimed my legs or eyes, or something like that.”

Her laughter returned, and this time she had to hold both hands over her chest to keep from toppling from her chair. “What’s wrong with you? Who said I had it out for you? Is that what Dunni said?”

Dunni?” His nose scrunched. “I haven’t been in contact with anyone from school since I left school. Asides from the boys though, and everyone is so busy these days. So no, I didn’t hear anything from Dunni.”

“So why are you assuming that I have bad blood for you?” She inquired. “Tari, the thoughts I have for you are good ones, and not that of evil.”

“Really?” He sat up. “Despite everything? How we ended?”

And this time, he didn’t miss the horror that zoomed past her face. “Well, you know me. I’m not one to hold grudges against people. No matter how big the offence is, I still find it in my heart to forgive them.”

“Even if I totally destroyed you?” He reiterated. “Those were your exact words that day, you know.”

“I was angry, just like every other normal human being who got their world snatched from their hands when they thought that such couldn’t happen.” She shrugged. “And I do admit that I didn’t exactly like you after that, but over time it wore off. Trust me. And to be honest, I don’t exactly like you as much as you think I do now. You’re just saying some funny things and I can’t help my laughter.”

“Okay, got it.” He nodded.

She reclined in her chair. “The reality of the whole thing is just hitting me now, really. This is a big project…a really big one. It’s one that neither one of us can back out of and to be honest, I don’t exactly like the idea of working with you. Not because I’m bitter. . .Okay maybe I’m a bit bitter but I just don’t want to rake up the past. It’s very hard, you know.”

Tari bit his lower lip. “Well, I could make some calls and have you taken off this project if you really don’t like it? I have more influence than you probably think I do. And Graffity would find you another good project to work on, and you won’t have to see my ‘architect face’ anymore. Or how did you put it earlier?”

Aha! I see you haven’t lost that also?” He expected his quip to invoke laughter, but rather he saw mischief in her eyes. “Always thinking first about yourself and putting others second, not caring about the damage your actions could incur, so far as it’s not happening to you, right?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” He sat up, genuinely confused.

“Oh, no don’t play dumb like you don’t know what I’m talking about.” And she did laugh this time, but it was no pleasant laugh. “You’re going to have them take me off the project? Do you know how much I’ve worked to get myself to the stage where I could be recommended by Graffity for this kind of job? Of course, you know because you work under people also but why did you mention that anyway? Simple. It’s because you don’t care about anything that’s not you.”

“That’s not true.” He started.

“That’s the truth, and you know it.” She countered. While her statement may be far from the truth, he didn’t exactly have anything to back up his denial. “So, let me enlighten you...Mr. Tari Ibiyemi, because it seems like you’re dancing dangerously in the dark. I’m not going off this project. As much as I’m not looking forward to seeing your handsome face every day…”

Handsome? His facial looks were well above average, but the word had spilled out of her mouth in a venomous monotone that gave him reason to know it was sarcasm.

“…this project is just too big for me to chuck over the fence, because of personal grudges and all that.”

“I really didn’t mean it that way,” He wore his best look of remorse. “To be honest, Lani. I didn’t. I wouldn’t want to take that away from you, because I know how it feels also. Trust me.”

“I don’t need to trust you,” She rolled her eyes, and that was the first display of petty countenance that she had exhibited all day. “We’re colleagues. . . sort off, not friends or partners and we’d remain colleagues. I don’t even need to like you. I just have to get used to your voice, and seeing your― ”

“Architect face― ”

“Yeah, architect face.” She finished in a quite serious tone. Just when he had started to think she was elated to see him, turned out it was all an act right from inception. Her feelings were totally on the contrary. He couldn’t blame her though.

“You have to admit, this brings to mind our past project.” He was at a loss of words, so he simply spoke what popped into his head. “It doesn’t scare you that well, it could turn out bad again? I mean we’d have never met if not for that project, and we’d not be meeting now either if not for this one.”

Her shoulders slumped. “It does bring memories, but I don’t think it would end that way. The last time I trusted you too much. That sort of trust shouldn’t have been awarded to anyone at all, no matter how dear they are to your heart but I had it for you anyway. That’s not happening anymore since I’m not interested in pursuing any sort of relationship with you. Like I said, we just have to work together. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, if you would excuse me,” She began her ascent to her feet. “I really have to go.”

He followed suit, offering to escort her out of the premises.

She declined the offer. “No, thanks. It is just a short walk from here to my car downstairs. Plus, I want to drop by Mr. Adetula’s office and say one or two things.” Adetula was Osemudiame’s last name. “See you around, Tari.”

And with that, she whirled around and let herself out, leaving him in the hell of the haunting silence. His life had taken a drastic turn that he hadn’t in anyway anticipated but he guessed that was why it was called drastic. He could only hope that the sudden swerve of pathways didn’t result in an eventual, abysmal fate that would destroy him.

*****

Ten Years Ago.

Lani Olaere.

The name rang in his head continuously and he kept pondering on it, pronouncing it within as if it would change when its frequency reached a certain threshold. Never in his wildest dreams, would he have dared dream to be paired with Lani Olaere for the inherent annual departmental collaboration project. Social circles as dissimilar as theirs just didn’t collide. They were simply worlds apart, to put it in simple terms.

In more specific terms though, it carried more consequences such as a potential social status compromise that he so much loathed. Not because his wants defied that of the general masses’ thirst for such life, but because he was simply terrified by it. Never in his life had he been an ‘it’ person, or associated with people who were the point of reference of such title. All through high school, he had been lurking in the shadows, going about his business, and taking extra care and precision so as not to get noticed like a Ninja, who wasn’t so stealth and faltered sometimes, and thus bringing embarrassment to himself.

So, he had no knowledge whatsoever in navigating such illuminated, spotlight turf or even stepping into it for whatsoever business.

But now he was going to, definitely he would. He would only be green and naïve, by shunning his worries and assuming that such popularity wouldn’t come into play, and that somehow he’d remain in the confinements of the shadows while working closely with a person who wasn’t just in the spotlight, but was the spotlight herself.

Lani Olaere.

He swallowed hard, balling his hands into fists and quickening his pace. After arriving at the notice board earlier, to check who he had been paired with and realizing the gravity of the situation―he had taken off to where he knew she always was at the time of the day. It was a sunny Monday, characterized by the intense heat that hugged the entire campus despite the fact that it was well into the evening. It was the eleventh week of resumption of the second semester and it felt like he had been in school for all eternity, when it was only freshman year.

Just my first year.

He hadn’t even lasted a year in the university yet, and his immunity to popularity had vaporized and he was more prone than ever to invasion. He knew he had to do something to salvage whatever that was worth saving, and this was the only thing he could think of. Finding her early enough to discuss, even if the ideology held no solution whatsoever. This was the only way he could think of getting ahead of the situation.

In no time he had arrived at the school cafeteria at the center of campus and he let himself in quite easily before embarking on the grandiose task of squeezing his body frame past a vast throng of clumped bodies that lined one segment of the hall. After several bouts of groaning, hissing and muttering of apologies, he got to the other side. His eyes scanned the rather scanty, unoccupied rows of chairs and tables arranged in an haphazard manner. When his eyes ventured northbound, the picture he met in place was the one he expected.

He advanced towards his destination in purposeful strides—each step calm and calculated as he forced his inner self into relaxing. No need to buckle up, and harden all over like she was the enemy. If anything, she was every bit the victim he was in this situation also. As he was definitely sure she wasn’t exactly joyous at the prospect of working with a nobody like him.

When he arrived at the scene, his body relaxed of their own free will owing to the presence of another familiar, pleasant person he knew.

“…just imagine o? He now cornered me and then asked me the same question again, as if I didn’t reject him the first time? I just don’t get it. Is it that some guys think that you could change your mind overnight when you tell them no, and so they ask you the next day? Or they’re just way too confident and enthusiastic to the point that it’s annoying.”

“Some just can’t take no for an answer, I guess.” Lani, who was hunched over on the table with her back turned to him, replied. She rambled on with Kabirat who was on her feet, facing his direction. Kabirat’s greeting intercepted Lani’s words.

Hey, Tari. What’s up?” She gave him a warm smile, as he came to stand beside them both on the table. If the intense smile she was flashing his way had come from someone else, who wasn’t so pretty—he’d have gone on to assume she had feelings for him. But, people like Kabirat set their sights higher.

“Hey, Kabirat. I’m good.” She was dressed in a simple floral chiffon blouse, boot cut faded blue jeans and white sneakers. Her natural hair was combed to the sides in a formulaic style, and she looked every bit the intellectual persona with her big, dorky glasses. “What brings you here?”

“The departmental project thing,” He managed to say, finally tilting his neck in Lani’s direction and meeting her gaze that had been pricking his skin like a thorn ever since he arrived. Only one side of her face was available for visual access and he couldn’t read enthusiasm in them, but not contempt like he would have anticipated either. Just indifference.

Unlike Kabirat’s simple outfit, hers was quite the fuss for a warm weather like the one in place. She wore a black wool sweater, over ripped skinny jeans and black nondescript sneakers. Her braids were tinted maroon, and swept over the half of her face that was distorted from his view and the other half was bound into a twirling turret shape.

“I was paired with you, Lani.” He stated the obvious, of which he was certain was quite vivid to her.

“Oh, really?” Her reaction was laced with a normalcy that wasn’t expected. Outrage and shell-shock disappointment was what he would have placed his money on but not a normal reaction. “Okay, then. I was actually about to head there to go check it out but, well I’m really tired. We still have a lot of time till the end of the session though, do you really want to start now?”

Uh, well I just figured it would be good you know that, I guess.” Although her reply was viable, as his action portrayed great urgency but still, there was also no valid reason for complacency or sluggishness either. It would be in both their best interests if they acted fast on impulse, and get a great head start into the curriculum. “And I of course wanted to discuss all that we would be working on and well, you know. . .”

She gave him a consoling smile in a bid to impale his worry. “I do understand where you’re coming from, Tari. That’s the name, right?”

He recovered just in time to nod to her enquiry. His head had been reeling in the realization that someone like her knew his name for a reason.

“Good, nice name though. I really like it, what does it mean?” She questioned him further to his surprise, and adjusted her position on the table. “In my own language, Tari as in Tariere means a beloved woman. Haha! How ironic. What does your own mean?”

Her laughter did a lot in easing the tension. “Well, the full name is Tariebi, which means love is good. It’s Ijaw and I’m guessing the Tari that you just mentioned is Ijaw also.”

“Oh wow you’re from Bayelsa!” She squealed, her mouth parting to reveal a set of white, glistening teeth punctuated by a tooth gap in its center. “I’m from Bayelsa also, actually. I hardly find my people here in this part of the country, you know.”

“Actually I’m Yoruba, but the name is Ijaw anyway.” He clarified, a bit sad that he had to burst her bubble. “Don’t know why my folks did that. They must have really liked the name I guess.”

Ah, I see.” The layers of amusement in her face had depleted, but she still looked every bit as charismatic as she was before.

“Well, that’s it. You don’t have to be worried about being paired with a boy that has his sights set on you.” Kabirat hopped right back into the discussion, sliding her right hand over her friend’s shoulders. “Tari here, I believe has a good reputation with the ladies. See you guys around.” She spurned around and strutted into the distance.

He watched as Kabirat walked away in haste, a bit amused by her walking gait.

“Oh you see it too, right?” Lani was saying, and although their gazes weren’t aligned, he knew she was equally amused. “I tell her all the time that she walks too straight and rigid like a boy but she doesn’t listen anyway. What can I do? It just pains me so much because she’s so pretty, but anyhoo someday she’d realize that. She should be thankful that she isn’t my roommate or really, close friend or something. I’d have whipped her up to shape in no time.”

He nodded curtly, pocketing his hands. “So uh, about the project?”

“You’re all business and no fun, aren’t you?” She growled.  She pouted her lips and gave off a disappointed sigh. Was she―Lani Olaere―actually craving for a conversation with him? Nope, definitely not. “Okay, then. The thing is that I’m super tired and exhausted today and I don’t think I can talk much or think much either. So how about we meet up here on this very table during lunch in two days time?”

“Two days? Why not tomorrow?”

“I knew it!” She giggled in a gleeful, childish manner that he thought was greatly endearing. “I intentionally did that to see if you’d go ahead and neglect tomorrow. But of course you can’t, because you’re all all-play-and-no-work-makes-Tari-fail. Life isn’t as difficult as that, you know. You should slow down and relax a bit.”

Actually, life is that difficult for some of us.

But of course, he wasn’t about to tell her that. “I have fun and relax also, when it’s time for that. I just really want to start off on time, that’s all. I’m probably not as serious as you think I am. I’m not one of those naturally gifted people, who don’t have to read to excel in their exams. I’m one of those chronic readers who pass only because they work hard. It’s as simple as that.”

“Isn’t that what you all say?” Her reply was shrouded in a certain weariness, that brought him to the conclusion that it wasn’t the first time she was hearing such. “I mean one doesn’t even need to talk to you to know how serious you are. Just look at you, your outfit. It’s not exactly bad fashion taste really, you look good enough but all the colors are just plain and serious and worn in a very normal way that says a lot about your apathy about your appearance, even though you could look a lot more dashing if you put in more effort into it.”

It took great control to not succumb to the urge, to crane his neck around in a circle to ensure he was her addressee. He could look dashing if he tried more? It was the first time someone had ever made a comment on his looks―someone, that he’d want to make a comment rather. He knew he wasn’t ugly though, but dashing? He had simply believed he was in the category of the conventional population of people with average looks. Perhaps, he was wrong.

“You think?” Once again, he could only smile.

“I know,” She corrected, finally sliding down the table. “The reason why there isn’t a flock of girls trailing behind you, is well because everyone knows you and your laid back vibe.”

Laid back?

“Of course that was sarcasm,” She shook in mocking laughter, before taking a step closer to him and giving him a light punch on his shoulder. “You need to loosen up a bit, Tari. That’s my condition for us working together. You think you can do that for me?”

He cleared his throat. “Alright, no problem. See you tomorrow then.”

“Tomorrow,” She gave a reassuring nod and one final, farewell smile that he took as his cue to leave. Her actual friends, and other folk who revolved in her orbit―the higher ups circle―would arrive soon to dine and he needn’t give them reason to wonder why a commoner like him was conversing with her. He snaked his thumbs through the straps of his bags latched to his shoulders, and headed out in contentment.

Perhaps, working with Lani Olaere wasn’t quite a notion to be frightened of after all.

----------------------------------------------------

And there you have it!!! The premiere we’ve all been waiting for. I hope it didn’t disappoint. But I can only hope and not know your thoughts since I’m not telepathic, so flood the comment sections with your thoughts.

Take a moment to tag a friend, family or acquaintance on here on Wattpad that would love this novel. Thank you.

A big shoot out to the novel’s editor – Inkpharm. Thanks for the support and invaluable advice that’s functional on setting this story on a brighter path. And also a massive shout out to the entire FWC family FWC_official. For their undying support and love. Y’all have been a pillar for me along this path, and I cannot over emphasize how much I love you all.

Resurgence returns next week Friday, with the 2nd chapter and so the trend continues. Don’t forget to tune in every Friday for new chapters. God bless y’all. See you same time, next week. Have a splendid weekend.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 324 61
Two inseparable best friends are finally separated as Seyi Oyefeso goes off to the UK to complete his studies and Jemima Olatunji stays back in Niger...
41.4K 5.7K 16
*Formally known as A Nigerian love story* A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL Life in Ajegunle isn't the easiest. Tari hopes on Love is shattered when her boyfri...
46K 7.7K 49
#5 in project Nigeria( 15/07/2019) #1 in Africancommunity #3 teenage drama "Say hello to miss Katherine Joseph Benjamin" the principal voice had echo...
30.5K 7.6K 41
It has always been Larai's dream to go to school and become someone prominent in future. She dreams of meeting her Prince charming. She desires true...