Chasing Charlie

By E33215

"I'll chase after you Charlie, no matter where you go, I'll come after you." "Do you promise?" "I promise." _... More

Introduction
Chapter One | When Tragedy Strikes
Chapter Two | Meeting Him
Chapter Three | Not Normal
Chapter Five | First Conversation
Chapter Six | Australia Day
Chapter Seven | Return To School
Chapter Eight | First Day Of A New School
Chapter Nine | Nurturing A Bruise
Chapter Ten | Rainy Days
Chapter Eleven | Playing Nurse
Chapter Twelve | An Unusual Weekend
Chapter Thirteen | The Dreaded Funeral
Chapter Fourteen | Swimming Disaster
Chapter Fifteen | His Story
Chapter Sixteen | Hospital Visit
Chapter Seventeen | Soccer Games and Friendship Battles
Chapter Eighteen | The Soccer Game of Misery
Chapter Nineteen | Not His Day
Chapter Twenty | Beach Trips and FIFA Watching
Chapter Twenty-One | A Kiss
Chapter Twenty-Two | Park Trips and Better Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Three | Rejection and Birthday Starts
Chapter Twenty-Four | Birthday and Museum Reveal
Chapter Twenty-Five | Date at Sydney
Chapter Twenty-Six | Orphans
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Wheelbarrow of Surprise
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Hospital Trips
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Scars and Messed Up Teens
Chapter Thirty | Guardians and Thunderstorms
Chapter Thirty-One | Make-Out Sessions Perfect Storms and Chaotic Shopping
Chapter Thirty-Two | The Hardest Goodbyes are the Unexpected Ones
Chasing Charlie Rewrite

Chapter Four | The Second Day

5.2K 176 13
By E33215

Charlie

I woke up at around nine o'clock in the morning, my eyes sore and tired from the amount of crying. I yawned, stretching my arms and accidentally hitting the bunk above me with a loud thud. I hissed in pain, cursing at the sudden rush of pain to my hands. I shook my hands before getting up, out of bed and heading downstairs.

I was still in the clothes from yesterday, meaning I must've fallen asleep in these clothes. I ran a hand through my hair, feeling a huge amount of knots, not planning to budge anytime soon. I'd have to use a brush later, I thought.

I went into the kitchen, finding Miss Lancy there cooking breakfast in a kitchen apron, decorated with two teddy bears.

She looked up as I entered, smiling kindly and saying, "Good morning."

"Good morning," I replied.

"How are you doing?" She asked, eyeing me worriedly.

"I'm okay," I said looking towards the ground, not wanting to see her gaze on me.

I felt her arms wrap around me, pulling me into a tight hug, "I know you're not okay," she whispered into my ear.

A tear slid down my cheek as she pulled away from the hug and went back to cooking.

"The bathroom is the black door at the bottom, near the stairs, if you need to use it," she told me.

"Thank you," I said before rushing back upstairs towards my room.

I took out a pair of suitable clothes for the day from the suitcase and my hair brush before rushing back downstairs. I didn't notice anything before I collided with someone. I cursed at myself, under my breath when I saw who it was. It was the same guy whose room Olivia and I had barged into yesterday. I had rammed into his chair, almost tipping him over. He grabbed onto my arm, steadying himself then muttering a few things under his breath whilst pushing himself back into his room.

I shrugged my shoulders, before going into the bathroom to take a shower.

I found myself curiously glancing at the handlebars near the toilet. There were no child products or toys in this bathroom. The tiles were a nice, white colour looking elegant with the black shower. This looked nothing like a bathroom suitable for children, I found myself thinking.

I came out of the bathroom feeling and looking a bit better than before. My hair was wet, and my face was clear of any dried up tears. I came into the kitchen, seeing Miss Lancy had already finished cooking breakfast and was setting the table.

"Miss Lancy," I called out.

She turned around at my voice replying, "Yes, dear."

"Umm, where do I put my dirty clothes?" I asked.

She came up to me, taking my dirty clothes into her hands and leading me back towards the bathroom.

"This is the laundry basket," she pointed it out before dumping the clothes into it.

"Miss Lancy, who uses this bathroom?" I asked, feeling curious as to why there wasn't any child body wash or toothpaste around.

"I use it and so does Chase, the children use the bathroom upstairs, as it's more suitable for children," She answered, my curiosity finally satisfied.

"Ohh, is he the boy on the wheelchair?" I asked, thinking back to what had happened not long ago, seeing as he was heading for the bathroom at the same time I was.

"Yeah, now breakfast is ready, let's go eat," she said, clasping her hands together before walking out of the bathroom.

I sighed, suddenly feeling guilty for making the boy nearly fall over in his chair. At least he had a quick reaction and that saved him by grabbing onto me. I would have to apologise later, I thought.

I soon followed Miss Lancy into the dining room for breakfast. I sat in the same spot I sat in yesterday, starting to take food from the table filled with plates upon plates of food. I took a few pancakes and some bacon and eggs to eat, digging in to the delicious food.

I saw Olivia on the other side of the table, chatting away with her friends, and not noticing me.

I finished off my breakfast before most of the smaller children, then going over to the sink and dumping the dirty plate into the sink.

I went back to the table, towards Miss Lancy, "Miss Lancy, could I possibly go out and explore the neighbourhood?"

"Of course," She replied smiling, "But could you tell me your number just in case anything ever happens so you can call me."

I nodded my head and told her my number, soon hearing my phone ringing.

"Have fun dear," she replied.

I ran upstairs, slipping on my black converses and grabbing my wallet and phone, before heading back downstairs. I saw Olivia playing in the living room with girls who looked to be her age. She seemed happy so I walked past and headed outside. I went down the ramp, before heading out onto the pathway.

I turned left, heading anywhere. There were many houses, most of which were two-storey houses, some being singular storey houses. They reminded me of my old neighbourhood. I kept walking, looking around the new neighbourhood. After about ten minutes of walking I found a park, a big park.

It was similar to the one in Newcastle, but was bigger. It had a few basketball courts, a soccer field, a huge playground and a large pond.

I headed over to the soccer field, seeing many teenaged boys playing a game. I watched from the side line, seeing many good players on the field. There were two teams playing, the shirts and the skins.

I kept watching for a further few minutes, before a boy, about my age came up to me, "Hey, do you wanna play?"

"Uhh, sure," I replied.

"Sweet, I'm Joseph," He said smirking, "What's your name?"

"Charlie."

"Nice, how come I've never seen you around before?"

"Uhh, just moved here."

"Ohh, cool."

Joseph was tanned like he spent every day outside. His hair was jet black, reminding me of the sky during the night. He had big, dark brown eyes, like a puppy's. He was on the skins teams, showing off his muscular torso, which could enchant any girl.

"What position do you play?"

"Midfielder or striker," I replied.

"Awesome, we need a midfielder on the other team, you see Mig over there," he said pointing to a boy lying on the ground clutching his thigh, "pulled his hamstring and we need a player to replace him."

"Cool," I said heading over to my position on the field.

Guys were staring at me like I was an alien invading. I rolled my eyes at their stares and focused my mind onto the game.

The ball was near the skins goal, I ran closer, the ball then being passed back. A tall, pale guy on the skins team had the ball nearby me, I ran towards him, intercepting the ball as he tried to pass it on to Joseph. I ran a few steps dribbling the ball, a few skins players were approaching me and I quickly lifted my leg to fake a turn but went the other way confusing the opponent. I ran past most of the players before kicking up the ball, running a few more steps forward and shooting, successfully making it into the goal.

I smiled a bit in response, the goal earning a few shocked looks from the guys around me.

Joseph ran up to me, "Where did you learn to play like that?"

"I've been playing since I was seven," I replied, shrugging like it was no big deal.

"You've got some talent, you should try out for the team."

"Maybe."

I've always loved soccer, from the moment I was introduced. I was only seven years old when I started to play, my dad signing me up to play for the local under tens team. Every week I went to training with a smile on my face, and every match would be played to the best of my abilities. Whenever I was playing I had this sudden rush, all my worries, all my problems, everything just disappeared, and all my mind was focused on was the game. It calmed me down before any test and made me happy when I was in the saddest of moods.

For a few minutes I forgot about all the things that happened in the past couple of days and I was grateful for that.

A/N

Fourth chapter up!

Hope you enjoy it

Feedback is appreciated. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

SHIVER By Nope

Teen Fiction

8.6K 210 22
Emily has always found herself caught in sticky situations. It's her job. Sometimes they are easy to get out of, and others are not. She vows never t...
43 1 17
This is not a happy, feel-good story. This is a story of heartbreak, of a person being utterly destroyed. However, it is also a story of true frien...
138 9 10
Like every other day, Sunny is out walking back from the 24/7 store with some midnight snacks and cola. While he was lost in his daily tradition of w...
112K 7.1K 26
[The Fiction Awards 2020 Winner in Diverse Fiction!] Jesse is paralyzed from his waist down, but he makes sure he gets what he wants, for he has alre...