Smokes

By smokes_and_cigars

Depression and numbness eats anyone if you let it and William wheezy has let it A quick warning it has nsfw... More

Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven

Chapter one

233 5 3
By smokes_and_cigars

((TW: SUICIDE! MENTIONS OF SUICIDE.))

A crisp early morning breeze swept through Wheezy's sloppy apartment from an open window he had failed yo remember to close after he finished his cigar. Letting out a groan, he covered himself with his thick covers.
It's was early, around 5.02, he was already over the day. Wheezy was never one to complain about doing a job, but it was just that kind of day that he felt it was hard to get out of bed. They seemed to come more often as the days dragged on. William couldn't remember the last time he woke up without feeling a dense guilt wrapping around his chest so thick it made it hard to take a deep breath.

After fighting with himself whether or not he'd just have another late arrival or just no showing the entire shift. He did this for about an hour or so before he finally got out of bed reluctant heavy sigh.

Wheezy went over to the mirror and saw the mess he was. His eyes dull and dawned a dark heavy bag under them. His chin spiked with stubble and his curley hair poking out in all ways. As William attempted to slick his hair back, clenching his jaw and cursing the comb he roughly pulled through his hair. When he finally made himself presentable he wandered slowly and carelessly into the kitchen and to make a strong coffee, kicking trash and left over wrappers out of his way.

As the coffee machine chugged away William searched on his crowded bench for a dencently clean mug and gave it a quick wash. He then lent on the bench and looked out the window at a world so vivid and bright, even before the sun had fully come up. Wheezy's apartment seemed so dull and dark in comparison. Seeing everything out there made Will envious of what could have been. With a yawn he turned his attention back to his old coffee machine. The quiet hum sent chills through his apartment and the sweet smell of coffee filled the sour and stale air.
———————————————————

Taking a deep breathe wheezy stepped out into the cool air, it was a nice day today, the sun was hiding behind some clouds on the horizon, the dew still on the frail grass blades, birds chatting as they wake.

What isn't there to like? Wheezy always liked walking to his job, it woke him up and made his day just that little bit better however he cant quite convince his brain to enjoy anything else the way he enjoys this crisp morning walk.

For some reason he has convinced himself that it covers up the unshaven face, the strong stench of Booz and smoke that followed him in smog like bubble, blood shot eyes from endless nights awake, and his sloppy uniform and half-assed slicked back hair.
He believed that people would ignore the fact that he looked like he was dead. He always had his hands stuffed in his pockets of his long coat with scruffy fur around the colar that was exaggeratingly large as he played with the rings on his fingers and scrappy nails. Not that he had much of them any more, he had chewed, broken and mistreated them to the point of them being non-existent.

Besides the fact that wheezy was always exhausted, walking made him feel like the normal person. Will could escape his mind for the brief moment he has before getting on a train that was filled to the brim with cigar and cigarette smoke and a thick stench of alcohol from the previous night.
The same train brings him to and from work. The employees should know him by now, but yet none of the employees dare utter a single word to Will in fear of the devil. Wheezy himself isn't a very welcoming personality, considering he towers over most of his co-workers. In truth, he's a massive softy and having the even the slightest stink eye pierces his soul.

———————————————————

When he finally got to work he was to tired to argue his excuse as KingD approached, red in the face. He just stood there as he got lectured for missing a week of work.

King dice felt like he was talking to a stone wall. "If you keep this up I will fire you and give your contract to some other soul. " he hissed. The stone wall (William) shook his head slowly as his eyes hit the floor. King dice could see his lips moving in the shape of numbers. "Good for nothing-" he mumbled as he shoved past wheezy. "Sorry sir" he mumbled out as KD walked away.

Once the work shift had started wheezy dreaded every fake smile he had to give all his customers. They all eventually faded into one single fat lie. "How are you doing this fine day?" He'd ask, then not really caring for their reply he'd cut them off with "another drink?" Or "you're very welcome, I'll be over there if you need me" it was like predictable texts. Most customers were at least bearable however there were other customers, specifically menwho had to much money, smelled of exotic wines and whiskeys. They especially looked down upon folks like wheezy. He hated them the most.
They'd poor their fancy drinks on the ladies, especially this curvy red haired bird who had this skin of a smooth black velvet and beautiful green eyes. Her soft facial features would change to a harsh and sour display when yet again, her blouse was stained with blood red wine.

She's sassy and would never ever let any of the men get away with their actions without a loud slap. To them, that was half the fun. Will always found immense satisfaction when she slapped them followed by a swooning sigh leaving Williams body. He would only ever dream of their conversations due to his lack of confidence in aproaching the emerald eyed lady. He felt a smile creep up on his lips when he thought about her. Unfortunately he was snapped back to reality by something not so nice.

"Wheezy. Walk with me." a grumble sounded from behind him, wheezy turned and was given the sight of the devil. All colour from his cheeks, quickly draining from his face as he turned and left his duty to go walk with the devil. "Dice tells me that you have been slacking, is this true?" Wheezy nodded with his same brick faced expression. "Sorry sir. " he mumbled as he picked at his nail. The devil stepped in front of him, placing his large hands on Williams shoulders. "You need to come to work more often or our deal wont be so sweet." He growled as his eyes narrowed, hands clenching williams shoulders until a small prick of pain was sent through out his body. The Devils smile faltered for a moment. He then stood up straight, removed his hands and smiled and continued "But I think you should- take a week off, ive for got a new sssoul I need to get... aquainted with. Besides,"

He raised a hand pointing to the roof as he put a hand over his chest.
"it's bad for business when people see my employees looking like you do. Clean yaself up. " The Devils smile dropped as he shoved a payslip into Williams chest and walked way with a grumble. Wheezy looked down at the check and gave a faint smile. "Thanks. " he said with the same monochrome voice he had before. His lips trembled as teats whelled in the corners of his eyes, his hands shaking.

The Devil paused. "And wheezy," he turned slightly " don't try anything stupid. You can't die if you don't have a soul. " the devil smirked then let out a laugh that left a sour taste in your mouth, as he held up a prestene contract in a clawed hand. With out a reaction wheezy turned and continued down the hall resuming and finishing his shift.
------------‐-------------------‐-------------------------------

Trigger warning. Please skip until the next note if you wish to not read

On the walk home wheezy had a cigar clenched between his teeth. He watched the way the smoke curled and faded away into the chilled air. When he got home he spent hours outside drinking and watching the smoke fade away. Normally the Booz and smoking would help with the desire to bring death to his door step however, the devils words repeating in his brain. He figured, the one thing the he was going to do was lay in bed and wait until the morning to smoke more and drink way more. This however is not what he did. He was going to call the devils bluff, and tie that inviting noose around his neck. No matter how much he drank and smoked the pain didn't go away the devils words getting louder and louder. He stood there with his knees shaking as he thought nobody would care enough to read a note if he did leave one. He kicked the chair with tears of loneliness and pain stung his eyes.

End of suicide mention, warning for violence and broken bones

All went dark- it was so quiet- cold even. The pressure in wheezy's head was agonising then it was slowly relieved when a cold cloth was pressed to it. It was his caring mother rubbing his face with a smile as his eyes fluttered open. Before she had gone sour and abandoned him on the streets to fend for himself. Before The Devil, before everything. Her sweet smile, the smell of daisies and roses filled his nostrils. Wheezy took another whiff,,, apple pie. He let a smile of genuine relief tug at his lips. It was so close, death was coming. The devils bluff getting played like a card. He felt his mother's soft hands leave his face as he closed his eyes again.

Williams heavy eyes slowly opened as he felt hair tickle his nose. He saw an unknown blurry face. Black lipstick, wavy red hair and delicate hands. The smell of Booz and cigarettes mixed with the pleasant smell of tea and tulips hit wheezy like a gust of strong wind. Williams eyes tried to focus on the very bright room as he looked around with hazy half opened eyes. The unknown face had stepped back and had appeared to have walked away, clinking of glasses and the sounds of heals on tiled floor. "Wheezy." A very familiar voice called. "Wheezy wake up. " It croaked with amusement dripping off their tongue.

Trigger warning, violence. Note will indicate when it's finished if you wish to not read

'no...'
The more his eyes came to their senses the more clicked in Wheezy's head.
Wheezy felt the sudden reality hit him like the bottom of KDs shoe. He wasn't dead. Panic and dread soon started to make itself well known in Wheezy's waking body and pounding head.

'No...'

He felt tears quickly start to build.

'NO!!'

His mind raced as he finally processed that he wasn't free, still trapped like a toy, or a gold fish in a circle tank.

He recounted his actions so fast it made his eyes squeeze shut as he tried to hold back his pain. However it was too late the tears and choked back sobs already filled the room, echoing. He grabbed his head and curled up on the bed he was on.  His throat was so dry. Every thought he had hurt so much that the pain continued to drain itself to his stomach. He grabbed his stomach as he tried to comfort himself. The guilt and heartache had set in. " Wheezy." the voice cooed with less amusment this time. More frustration was sensed. A firm hand placed its self on his shoulder, making wheezy look up at the figure with hazy and tearful eyes.

William tried to clear his eyes but the tears just kept running. "I'm sorry. Am I interrupting somthing?" King Dice's voice chimed as he looked at him with a stern sour glare "such a fucking looser." He muttered. Wheezy's eyes fluttered to a close as he let tears fall down his nose and cheeks. Dice grabbed his cheeks firmly and pulled his chin up "what are you? a child? Stop crying" he scowled, anger now beaming through his words. King Dice's words only made Williams sobs louder and more panicked. Dice squeezed his face so hard that some of Wheezy's teeth started to ache and bleed. At first Will struggled, but then realised there was no point.

He just let KD relieve his anger until he could compose himself again. He had finished with a broken rib, a shattered nose, four broken fingers and a black eye. He had just been stepped on and beaten senseless and wheezy just took it. All the pain was nothing compared to the pain his heart held.

End of violent section

He had passed out shortly after the king left the room. He just laid in the corner of the room, on the small rickety bed he was on, with small quiet sobs. His throbbing hands covered his eyes and knees. He went like this for what seemed an eternity, until the door opened with a small creak. Wheezy shook with fear until he heard a pair of heels walking towards him. He didn't dare look up.

"Hey sugar, come on. Hope up and let's get you fixed up. "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 7.8K 87
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
1.1M 37.1K 63
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
90.5M 2.9M 134
He was so close, his breath hit my lips. His eyes darted from my eyes to my lips. I stared intently, awaiting his next move. His lips fell near my ea...