The Wolf and The Medic: An Is...

By ParadoxicalLux

After a wildfire that took everything away from her, Layla Vanderveer moved into Mystery Spell in hopes of fo... More

Welcome to the Manor
Identity Denied
Incident
With Every Cut...
Misunderstood Clues
Secrets Unveiled
Truth Revealed
Past Regrets
Confrontation
Another Recuse
Is It Love?
The Medicus Blood
Unexpected Exchange
Sarah's Confession
Sebastian's Wrath
Sebastian's Secret
The Pianist's Heart
Rishima's Secrets Reveled
Father Figure
Joining MSU EMS
The Haunting

First Day of College: The Rescue

400 19 5
By ParadoxicalLux

This skirt is too short. It will not do.

I stared in the mirror. There was no way I am dressing myself up like this. The University sweater is okay, but this skirt doesn't cover all my scars. To avoid being late for my first day, I removed the skirt and switch to dress pants. It still looks good and professional. I grab my bag and my old medic coat and ran downstairs. I must eat well to start the day.

As I reached downstairs, I found all three brothers and a little girl sitting at the table. Peter was reading a book and Drogo seem to be playing with the little girl. Only Nicolae seems to acknowledge my presence.

"Good morning, Layla. How are you?"

I gave him a bright smile. "I am well. How are you?"

"Another good morning," he answered, "Now, allow me to properly introduce you to everyone. This is Peter. He is the musician behind the piano at night."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I said looking at Peter.

Peter nods shyly. "Nice to meet you."

"This is Drogo," said Nicolae, "You met him yesterday by the staircase."

I gave him a smaller smile. "Nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, little thing," Drogo said mockingly.

I ignore his mocking voice. I look at the little girl and gave her my best smile. "And this must be Lorie! I am so happy to meet you!"

The little girl stares at me for a moment, then starts to sulk a little. "Nice to meet you."

Why is everyone either cold or rude except for Nicolae?

"You must eat, Layla," said Nicolae, "I like for you to start the day with a healthy breakfast."

I smiled at Nicolae. He is so kind and caring. I wonder how he turned out different from the others. I grabbed a blueberry muffin from the table with a banana and a cup of coffee. I ate quickly so I could get to my classes early. Before leaving, I bid the family goodbye and left the manor.

I walked to the university with sadness consuming me. It's never easy to start my life over. With little money to my name, it's even harder to afford a place of my own. I remember the days when I was a real hero in my town. After graduating from high school at age 17, I enrolled myself in an EMT course. Within the year, I was a certified EMT. I was passionate about what I did. I saved more lives than any other recent graduate. I was even given the scholarship to continue my education to become a paramedic. By age 21, I was a paramedic. My entire family became well-respected because of the service I provided for my community. What seems impossible to do for others, I have proven it to be possible. I remember a mother thanking me for rescuing her baby. I recall a daughter crying to me, thanking me for saving her father.

The only people I could not save was my family and my best friend. I failed as a paramedic...

I am now 25 years old. The events from the last six months were overwhelming. Six months ago, there was a wildfire that destroyed the town and killed so many people. I remember passing out with Lydia in my arms once we reached to safety. We were taken to a hospital in a nearby city where it is discovered that I have inhaled too much smoke and ash. It took them a while to clear my lungs. Because of this, I became asthmatic. I suffer from minor burns, but it was nothing compare to Lydia and her third-degree burns that covered 90% of her body. I was told that my mother burned to death, but Lydia had a chance for survival.

She was supposed to live. How did she die?

I have arrived at the university. It is just as beautiful as the pictures. I have chosen to major in environmental science, something that allows me to work with science without touching medicine. I can find ways to help the environment and protect the earth. I don't want to look back into medicine. I can never touch medicine ever again. I failed at my job. I was supposed to make my family proud.

They can't be proud. I fail them. I completely failed them...

"Someone help! Some call the police!" I heard someone screamed.

There, in front of the campus is a girl with dark hair and light brown eyes panicking. On the floor, is another student who is unconscious. The medics arrived at the scene quickly. I watched as they desperately tried to save the student. Something is not right. They are performing CPR, but I don't think that is the case.

I look at the scene closer. Her skin is blue. Could this be? Oh no.

"Out of my way!" I screamed, scaring the rest of the medics. How can they not see it?

I place my ear to see if she did stop breathing. No, she didn't. She never needed CPR. Her breathing is so faint, anyone would have thought she stopped.

"Give me a flashlight!" I ordered one of the medics.

Confused and surprised, the medic handed me a flashlight. I force her left eyelid open and observe the changes. I did the same with the other. Her pupils are small. This is an opioid overdose!

"It's an opioid overdose," I said to the medics, "Do any of you have naloxone?"

One of the medics handed me the medication. I opened it and administered the dosage. Within two minutes, the student started to respond. Moments later, I noticed the authorities arriving. These medics are not actual medics. They are student medics in training.

The paramedics took the student away and started heading off to the nearest hospital. Everyone was intrigued by my skill.

Medic 1: "Miss, that was amazing! I was scared I may have screwed up."

Medic 2: "How did you know it was an overdose? I felt her breath, but didn't feel anything."

Me: "You have to be wary. Her breath was extremely faint, so it could have passed as something else. I noticed her skin was blue. That is usually a major sign of an overdose.

Medic 3: "We like to have you join our team!"

Medic 1: "You'll be perfect! We recently got certified, but it's obvious that you are well experienced. We can learn so much from you."

Medic 4: "Is she even certified?"

Medic 1: "She looks like it. Look at how she save the girl."

Medic 4: "Are you a certified EMT?"

I smiled. This one is obviously trying to destabilize me, probably out of jealousy. "I am a licensed paramedic."

All eyes were on me. The medics were obviously impressed.

Medic 1: "She's perfect!"

Medic 2: "More than qualify."

Medic 3: "Agree. Our school has its own internal EMS, first responder program. Would you like to join?"

Me: "I'm sorry, but I can't at the moment. I just moved to Mystery Spell. I have a lot to take care of before joining an extracurricular activity."

Medic 4: "If you change your mind, here's my card. Call us any time."

I shook hands with all of them before heading inside the building. Someone grabs my arm. I turned around to find the same girl who was screaming for help earlier.

"Thank you so much for everything. I thought I was going to lose her," she said.

"It's nothing," I said softly.

"My name is Sarah Osborne. What's your name?"

"Layla Vanderveer."

"It's nice to meet you. I hope we can become great friends!"

Friends? I never intended on making any friends.

"Um...I guess," I said.

"So what class are you heading to first," Sarah asked with a bright smile.

"Some ridiculous class call Myths and Legends," I replied, "I didn't have a choice. It was a requirement for my major."

Sarah stared at me with wide eyes. "Ridiculous? That's the university's most popular class! Why do you say ridiculous?"

"Because I don't believe in supernatural creatures or magicks," I replied, "If magick worked, my family would still be here!"

I cover my mouth. Sarah looked at me with sadness in her eyes. I didn't mean to make a bad impression. My mother practiced magick. She claims we are witches, but nothing we did ever work. Even though mother claim certain things happen in ways we didn't expect, I didn't believe in any of it. Mother always told me to believe if I want to unlock my powers. What powers? It's all rubbish.

"I'm so sorry, Layla," said Sarah, "I'm here if you want to talk about it."

"I'll be fine," I said, "I got to head to class. What about you? What class do you have?"

"The same as yours. We can go together if you like."

We both smiled at each other. Before heading off, I spotted Peter from a distance. He is staring at me with his gorgeous green eyes. I noticed he looks uncomfortable but gives me a thumbs up. What's gotten into him? Then it hit me. Was he there the whole entire time? Did he see me rescue that poor student?

Sarah looks in my direction. The moment she saw Peter, her face darkens. "Let's go."

What's up with Sarah? First, she was as radiant as the sun, now she's cold as ice.

I can see Peter's face darken after seeing Sarah's face.

Something is definitely going on between these two. It's obvious that they hate each other.

We both head to the lecture halls and sat in the very first row. Sarah seems more excited about the class than I am. I don't understand why I have to take this course. It has nothing to do with science. It just seems like a waste of time.

"Earth to Layla!" said Sarah.

"Yes?"

"What are you thinking about?" she asked.

"How I find this class useless and a waste of time," I answered dryly.

"Why do you hate this course? It hasn't even started yet."

"Because werewolves, vampires, fairies, witches, all those supernatural creatures don't exist. I don't see why to have a class dedicated to fictional characters," I said.

"You ought to keep an open mind, young lady," said a voice.

Sarah and I both jumped and turned to see who said that. There, standing in front of us, is a handsome, tall gentleman with golden amber eyes, messy black hair, and this strange presence he gives off almost seems wild.

"Why don't you give my class a chance before jumping into conclusions?" he asked.

I nodded nervously. I feel my cheeks burning up in embarrassment. So this must be our professor. Out of all the handsome men I met, he is by far the most intriguing one.

My heart starts palpitating. I can feel my legs shaking. I watched as he walks to his desk. What is this feeling? Why am I suddenly nervous?

"Good morning class. My name is Sebastian Jones, and I will be your instructor for the semester."

Maybe this class will be more interesting than I thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 744 30
There is no cure in forgetting: pain cannot simply go away. Ella Peverell knew that from the bottom of her heart. A year and a half after the Final R...
386 8 24
Layla is a college student, desperately in love with her friend Lucas. When he rejects her, she finds comfort in the company of his best friend, Alex...
8.6K 126 38
Cornelia Isabella Santos is a sixteen yeas old girl who was beaten up by everyone including her own family members. She who had been beaten up and al...
147 1 60
Layla Evans an ordinary girl with ordinary friends in a small town called mystic falls , well that's what she fought . Until two vampire brothers tur...