Deanna • Duff McKagan

By lindsnroses

Deanna Caine, nineteen years old and spending her days on the Sunset Strip. While bartending at The Troubadou... More

Chapter Two • Where Everyone Is Smashed
Chapter Three • Gigs
Chapter Four • You Gotta Want It
Chapter Five • Duff McKagan Is Not Jesus
Chapter Six • Katharina Kerekgyarto
Chapter Seven • Who's Your Daddy?
Chapter Eight • Dylan
Chapter Nine • The Birth of Deanna Caine
Chapter Ten • Free
Chapter Eleven • Legalities
Chapter Twelve • Moving Day
Chapter Thirteen • I'm With The Band
Chapter Fourteen • Like Nobody Else
Chapter Fifteen • Waking Up Is Hard To Do
Chapter Sixteen • Help
Chapter Seventeen • Hypocrisy
Chapter Eighteen • Bad Sex & An Intervention
Chapter Nineteen • Becoming A Problem
Chapter Twenty • Ruined Reputation
Chapter Twenty One • A Shot At Love With Redemption
Chapter Twenty Two • The Events of August 31st
Chapter Twenty Three • I'm Not Fucking Confrontational
Chapter Twenty Four • The Coke Is Up My Nose
Chapter Twenty Five • The Recovery
Chapter Twenty-Six: Bitch Killed My Son
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Levi & Juliette
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Lot of Things to 'Notice'
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Squatters
Chapter Thirty: Psychotic Bitch
Chapter Thirty-One: How To Get On Axl Rose's Good Side
Chapter Thirty-Two: 2 Years In Prison
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Great Fucking Birthday
Chapter Thirty-Four: Fargin Bastyges
Chapter Thirty-Five: They Want You Back
Chapter Thirty-Six: Fuckups
Chapter Thirty-Seven: 1987
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Playboy
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Hugh Hefner
Chapter Forty: Izzy Stradlin

Chapter One • A Rock N' Roll Bash

5.9K 92 22
By lindsnroses

June 6th, 1985

My white Converse sprint across the stained concrete sidewalk along the bustling streets of West Hollywood, trying my best to make it to the venue in time. Panting, I run down the back alley of the The Troubadour, flinging open the metal door the bartenders use to take out the trash. The music blares throughout the building, the sounds of shredding guitars and pounding drums vibrating the floors.

"Sorry I'm late," I grumble, squeezing past the bar patrons. "Landlord was givin' me a problem," my boss, Andrea, rolls her eyes, simply pulling a beer from the tap before handing it to the customer.

"You gotta stop being late, Brian is starting to catch on that I've been lying on your time stamps," she whispers in my ear as she pulls a couple more beers.

"I know, and I'm sorry," I drop the topic of conversation, turning to the customer in front of me. "What can I get for ya?" I ask the balding man as he glares at me.

"I've been waiting for a drink for two hours!" He screams, although I'm not sure if he's screaming to be louder than the music or to blame me for his alcohol withdrawal.

"Well," I scoff, shaking my head at the middle aged man before me. "You can wait a bit longer, because I'm not serving you." Andrea laughs from where she's serving her customers and I smirk, knowing I won't be getting any backlash from the events.

The man calls me a bitch before reluctantly moving away from the bar, heading back to his table. "Funny how they think they can order the people with the power around," Andrea chuckles, holding up a bottle of Jack Daniels.

"Who are they?" It's a five piece band, their redheaded singer having one of the best vocal ranges I've ever heard. "They're pretty good, great actually." The guitarist has curls hiding most of his face, a cigarette hanging from his mouth as his fast paced fingers move along the frets.

Andrea pulls a flyer off the cork board behind the bar, handing it to me. "Up and coming band, this is their first gig with their new line up," she exclaims, pouring another drink for a customer. "Dammit!" The glass shatters in the ice bin beneath the counter.

"You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna die!" The lead singer sings into the microphone, causing the crowd of people to go wild.

At a lightening fast pace, I pour hot water in the ice bin in order to be able to drain the ice out. A series of groans come from the bar patrons as they learn that they'll have to wait for their drinks. "Cinnamon shots!" I scream out, filling twenty shot glasses with fireball.

Selling shots left and right, Andrea is able to drain out the ice before grabbing two large bags from the ice chest and filling it again. "Back in business!" She says.

I grab the flyer again, reading it off. "Guns N' Roses, live at the Troubadour. June 6, 1985. W. Axl Rose on vocals, Slash on lead guitar, Izzy Stradlin on rhythm guitar, Duff McKagan On Bass, Steven Adler on drums. A Rock N Roll Bash Where Everyone's Smashed," I snort, finding the rhyme hilarious.

"Wait," I raise my eyebrow, confused at one section of the band's flyer. "Guns N' Roses, isn't that the band made up of members of L.A Guns and Hollywood Rose?" I ask the redhead bartender. "I thought Tracii Guns was in this band."

"He was," the alcohol rush has died down, causing Andrea to begin wiping down our glasses with a rag. "Didn't show up to practice so they kicked him out, which you would know if you came here on time to talk to the band."

The lead singer, W. Axl Rose, begins singing the next song, a slower song which I could tell has a lot of meaning.

"Talk to me softly, there's something in your eyes

Don't hang your head in sorrow

And please don't cry

I know how you feel inside I've

I've been there before

Somethings changing inside you

And don't you know

Don't you cry tonight

I still love you baby

Don't you cry tonight

There's a heaven above you baby

And don't you cry tonight

Give me a whisper

And give me a sigh

Give me a kiss before you

Tell me goodbye

Don't you take it so hard now

And please don't take it so bad

I'll be thinking of you

And the times we had... baby

And don't you cry tonight

Don't you cry tonight

There's a heaven above you baby

And don't you cry tonight

And please remember

That I never lied

And please remember

How I felt inside now honey

You gotta make it your own way

But you'll be alright now sugar

You'll feel better tomorrow

Come the morning light now baby

And don't you cry tonight

There's a heaven above you baby

And don't you cry

Don't you ever cry

Don't you cry tonight

Baby maybe someday

Don't you cry

Don't you ever cry

Don't you cry, tonight."

"Wow," I say, my jaw practically dropping to the floor. "That song was so well written."

"You still writing songs?" Andrea asks as a pour a man some bottom shelf liquor. "Maybe you could teach the lead singer a thing or two."

I shake my head, smiling at Andrea's words. "My songs are nowhere near as good as that was."

Their set ends a few hours later, Axl ending with a cover of Elvis Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel'. "Okay, we're going to Seattle in a few days, but I expect to see you fuckers when we get back!" He shouts into the microphone, sweat dripping from his long red locks.

"Here," I stare at Andrea confused as she places five glasses of various drinks onto a tray. "The band drinks free, they're regulars, you would know if you ever showed up to work."

I shrug, picking up the tray and avoiding the crowd of people dancing to Ted Nugent's 'Cat Scratch Fever' blasting through the juke box. I make my way up the few steps leading to the backstage area, pushing past the curtain.

In the center of the room is one leather couch, with a wooden chair placed next to it. There's a few vanity mirrors, but other than that, nothing too special to make this room stand out better than others.

"Drinks, anyone?" I ask, causing the band to let out some cheers. "Y'all did amazing out there, I really liked that last song."

"You new here?" A blonde man asks, jerking his chin in my direction. "I've never seen you here before, I think I would remember a face like yours."

I laugh, shaking my head at the man's efforts. "I'm not new, I just don't have a great work ethic," their faces are covered with sweat as they look up at me. Well, I think they're looking up at me, I can't exactly see where the guitarist's eyes are looking. "I'm Deanna Caine, Guns N' Roses newest fan."

"Duff McKagan," The guy smiles, setting the bass that was on his lap against the wall. The bass player, Duff, is wearing a Harley Davidson t-shirt with leather pants and combat boots, his hair teased so high it adds an extra six inches onto his height. Freshly twenty-one, Duff has a rather fondness for Vodka.

They all introduce themselves, and I make a mental note to grab the band flyer from the bar so I don't forget their names, like I have a tendency of doing.

Slash, the curly haired guitarist who's locks cover half his face, always has a cigarette hanging from his lips. The man is a rock god, despite being only nineteen years old.

Steven Adler, who has told me to refer to him as Popcorn, puts his whole life into his drum pieces. I've been around Hollywood for awhile, and I've never seen a drummer put so much energy and passion in his work.

Izzy Stradlin, with his long black hair and a bandana, a quiet rhythm guitarist with song writing talent. He barely says a word, but a man like him uses silence to get his word across.

Last but not least, we have W. Axl Rose, or Axl as he's called. He's the charismatic, energetic, redhead lead singer of Guns N' Roses, got his name from being so dedicated to his band called AXL.

"So you liked the song we played?" Axl asks, striking a match on the bottom of his boot before lighting his cigarette with it. "What made you like it so much?"

"You're quite the inquisitor," I smirk, locking my eyes with his. As they introduced themselves, I handed out their assortment of drinks and even went to get us more. "Like is an understatement, more like love. Bands these days, their lyrics have no meaning other than sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. Don't get me wrong, I love sex, drugs, and rock n' roll as much as the next girl, but meaningful songs are what put me at a point."

"Deanna!" Andrea's voice echoes through backstage. "I need your help!"

"Guess that's my que, boys," I smile, waving to the five men and heading down the stairs.

"Wait!" I turn back around to see Duff scribbling on a rectangular piece of paper. "I got a few gigs hooked up for us opening for The Fastbacks in Seattle. Call us up when we're back?"

A/N
I know 'Don't Cry' was written about Monique Lewis but I altered things a bit, and I'm going with it was written about Axl's ex Gina Sailer since Deanna is gonna have an emotional connection to the song lol

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 5.2K 97
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...
4.4M 95.5K 62
•[COMPLETED]• Book-1 of Costello series. Valentina is a free spirited bubbly girl who can sometimes be very annoyingly kind and sometimes just.. anno...
546K 6.7K 93
"Berani main-main sama gue iya? Gimana kalau gue ajak lo main bareng diranjang, hm? " ucap kilian sambil menujukan smirk nya. Sontak hal tersebut me...
3.5M 93.9K 58
Astrid has never stepped out her house. She didn't know that her parents hitting her wasn't right. She always thought that's how it works. So what ha...