What's my sin?

By itunuoluwA1

"life is better without the abuse no matter how alone you may be" A young girl tells of her experience throu... More

Chapter one: Another morning
Chapter 2: Demotion
Chapter 3: Dad
Chapter 4: A new friend
Chapter 5: Friendly Trouble
Chapter 6: Birthday
Chapter 7: Hide and seek
Chapter 8: Boomerang
Chapter 9: Happy day ruined
Chapter 11: A day of freedom
Chapter 12: Back to the hood
Chapter 13: Sisters
Chapter 14: A taste of Power
Chapter 15: Tricked Christmas
Chapter 16: Crossover
Chapter 17: Journey alone.
Chapter 18: A new breeze
Chapter 19: Scandal
Chapter 20: Freedom walk
Chapter 21: Adapting
Chapter 22: Clique bangs
Chapter 23:Boarding tales
Chapter 24: The siege
Chapter 25: Fire!!!
Chapter 26: Dreams do come true

Chapter 10: Shocker

379 56 0
By itunuoluwA1

The children's department in Church was in
different stages and I was in the intermediary class along with Dara and Kingsley because we are one year apart. We had one more stage to go before getting to the senior class. From the senior class, we have access to the main church and joking the choir. Asides from the teachings and children activities we do, the children department wasn't so much fun for so many reasons.

The five of us were always so used to our company and had no idea on how to relate with the others. We were always referred to as slowpokes and to be honest they were right. All we did was just sit down and watch others play, we hardly talked nor interacted. Not because we couldn't but they mostly spoke in the local language, Yoruba which we hardly understood. Rather than being embarrassed we chose to just sit and watch. We were used to being referred to as ajebutters(spoilt kids)  by the adults and we didn't mind since we knew not what it meant.

The boys however got over it after some time and mingled speaking the English they knew and it was fun watching some of them trying to understand them and responding in distasteful English. Dara and I however had a problem of our own which always brought us closer during church periods. We were just seven in my class with 2 boys and 5 girls including us. The girls however were saucy and kept to their own clique.

This clique was one I envied though.  It was a group of three girls with one slim and chatty one as their leader.  She gave orders at her whim in which the other two follow. She was very pretty and knew what the latest fashion was. They were always either talking about boys or fashion in a way that seemed eerie to me. They were a year older than us and saw us as children and they made us know that.

"My mum has bought my dress for children anniversary already, it has flowers all over" Kemi who was their leader began to say. Jane, the dark and short one began to say when they got distracted by something. Dunni, poked her and pointed towards the door. I followed their gaze and saw what they were looking at.

Unconsciously I comported myself brushed my hair with my hands smoothening it out. My worries forgotten for the moment, I sat up straight.  Ola walked in looking radiant as usual. He was the only boy in my class and a very handsome one at that. I couldn't quite explain it but I always felt a need to act right in front of him. He always acted like there was something wrong with us and didn't really talk with us as he did with others but I still wanted to be perfect.

"Ola how are you? " Kemi said getting up to meet him . "Come and sit wit us" she pulled him to where she and her girls were sitting.  I scowled and slumped my shoulder.  I looked at Dara, she cared less about what was going on. At least she had her own boyfriend.  She was always quiet in Church and was always the first to go into the car after service. Ola looked back at us then "Ruth, Dara, Martin how are you? ". My tongue was tied as I simply nodded at him. He looked at us queerly before turning back to discuss with the girls. I sighed. I just don't know how  to converse with him. They were laughing at a joke he said before Kemi turned to us "Is it true?  Your mummy will beat you if you talk?"

I was hot, to me she is a big competition and rival for me and wouldn't let her make me feel small. I tried to respond and defend myself, Ola looked at me and the words got stuck in my throat again.  I resigned and looked down at my feet.

"It's because you are mean that's why we won't talk to you". I looked up at Martin and he smiled at me.  I thanked him inwardly just then. I hadn't spoke to him since the morning incident and I knew he wanted that past us also. Kemi looked at him and snorted before turning back. Ola stood up and came to meet us. He stretched out his hand. "Sorry for being mean.  Truce? ". I looked up at him in shock until Martin hit me.

"yes" I murmured taking his hand in mine. I withdrew my hand just as quickly as if I was burnt. I smiled as he sat with us ignoring the glare from the girls in front. "Do you talk much? " he asked after some seconds of sitting in silence. 

"Hello Children" my class teacher came in then interrupting my childhood bliss. I resigned with the satisfaction that he was sitting with me at least. My mind was distracted severally and had to be called to attention by the teacher at intervals. My mind kept going back to the shame of this morning and also the prince sitting with me. How could I concentrate?

"Mummy don't make me do this again" I protested shaking my whole body with tears. I couldn't wait for service to finish and kept looking at the clock for 12pm when service was going to end.  Just then I saw my mum leave the service and hurried to her.  She had been shocked when I explained the situation this morning and was worried.  She drew me into her bosom and tried explaining why I had to go but I wasn't having it this time.

"I can't go back to that house". I sat on the cemented floor waiting for a response from her. A strange face peeped in at us and disappeared as quickly as it came. I ignored it and wiped my face.  I went closer to my mum who had leaned on the wall and looking at the sky in frustration. I tugged at her cloth. 

"Mummy I will be well behaved,  I won't disturb you I promise. I will clean and do anything you tell me to,  just don't make me go back ".

She looked at me and held my chin.  She was about to respond when the strange face that peeped previously appeared in full form. I glanced at her and returned my gaze to my mum, but she was looking at the woman with a pleading look in her eye.  I looked back at the woman. I recognized her as one of the members quite alright but she wasn't a frequent one. A faint memory of me playing with her flashed through my mind and I wondered who she could be.

She came closer and held my mum's hand. My mum spoke to her in her local dialect "She needs to know". I became more interested and perked my ears.  What do I need to know? 

The woman shook her head "Mummy,  it's not time.  You know I can't deal with it now"

What on earth is going on here?

My mum released my hand and faced the woman talking heatedly now.  "The older she gets, the more difficult it will be for you".

I couldn't take it anymore, curiosity got the better part of me. I came in between them and looked from my mum to the woman.  "Mummy who is she? ". My mum paused for some minutes still staring at the woman who kept shaking her head. "Your mother". She finally muttered.

My head began spinning. I must have heard wrongly. "Mummy what are you saying? ". She detached her eyes from her then and looked at me.  "Ruth, she is your mother". I looked at the woman who looked sullen now. She looked food starved and so sad to be my mother. I couldn't quite understand why my mum was playing with me when I was serious.

The woman looked at me a came closer. She brought out a parcel from her bag and stretched it to me. I just kept staring at her. "Happy birthday in advance dear". I knew my birthday is in two weeks time but now wasn't the time for it.  What was she thinking?  Bribe?.  My mum nudged me "Take it".  I reluctantly stretched my hands taking it in my hand while avoiding her like a plague.

I looked back at my mum "How is she my mum? ". She held my shoulder and looked straight into my eyes.  "I'm sorry about this Ruth but it will be best you hear it from her.   With that she went in leaving me with the queer woman she called my mother.  I clutched onto the parcel like my life depended on it and moved a step back. If this is truly my mum she should be ready to rescue me from my step mum at least.

She drew a bench closer to her and sat down before urging me closer. "come and sit here". I was nervous and shook my head instead.

"I presume you want to hear how I became your mum isn't it? ". I nodded.  She patted the bench once more "then come and have your seat.

She has me there and I reluctantly went to sit by her. "Why did you abandon me? "

She smiled as if she expected such a question from me.  "I didn't abandon you,  I have always been with you"

I raised my brow. How was that possible, I just realized she is my mother few minutes ago so what was she talking about?.  I could hear the benediction being chorused from the church signalling the end of the service. Time wasn't on my side anymore and I knew I had to do something. "Am I going home with you today? "

"I'm afraid not my dear". I got up angrily dropping the gift on the bench.

"Are you going to abandon me here again?!.   But you said you are my mother.  I don't think so,  Mummy Sade is my mother not you. You can never be my mother "

"Wait,  I never abandoned y---". I didn't wait to hear the rest of her sentence as I ran to the back of the church with tears dripping down from my eyes. I became confused and sad at the same time. I am in a false home, now I also have a false mother. I became at loss on how to escape anymore, my supposed mother doesn't want me,  what am I supposed to do now?

The Church began to disperse as people began to troop in to use the toilet. I had to act fast before my siblings started looking  for me.

"Ruth how are you?" an elderly member of the church noticed me and I hid my teary face instantly  and gave a muffled reply. "fine". She came closer. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing" I got up and began walking towards the other end of the passage before looking back. When I saw she had entered the toilet, I slid into the storage room beside it and hid under a table hiding myself behind the bags.

Few minutes passed before I began hearing my name being called out. I recognized my siblings voice and stayed still in my hideout.  The time dragged on like forever before the whole place quieted down. After I had listened and was certain there was no on around,  I sighed and relaxed. They have gone without me.

Then it dawned on me how awkward my perfect plan was. I had no place to go,  no food to eat, nor clothes to wear. I sat down gloomy under the table trying to figure out my next step when the door to the storage opened. I squished myself back into the space I hid. I was certain of not being seen when the bag shielding me was drawn out and my mum's exclamation sliced through the air.  "Jesus!!! Ruth what are you doing here? "

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.7K 642 20
If you don't like toxic shit don't read Short story with squeal coming soon not edited don't mind mistakes
471 39 55
Ruby Dominguez knew all about how her father treated her mother. If she stepped in to help, she would get the same treatment. They couldn't leave. Th...
14 0 1
This is based on true events. It is my own autobiography. Mature content due to nature of the story. Includes childhood trauma, abuse, neglect, death...
858K 40.5K 37
i have waited lifetimes to find you.