Jaded

By galynad2009

*2019 WATTY AWARD WINNER: YOUNG ADULT* Madiera-Jade has no money, no luck, and absolutely no sense. Atticus... More

[0] Author's Note
[1] A Thief With No Loot
[2] Tell Me A Story
[3] Rusty and The Spoon
[4] I'm Not Stubborn
[5] Matchmaker
[6] Atty's Dilemma
[7] Stranded
[8] Cry Me a River
[9] Liar, Liar
[11] Like Spring
[12] Devins and Monsters
[13] Alice in Attyland
[14]Toupée or Not Toupée
[15] Incoming
[16] It's Judgement Day, Coward
[17] The Flirt
[18] The Woods
[19] William Hartley
[20] Angry
[21] Bandages and the Blues
[22] Breakfast at Felix's
[23] Kiss and Tell
[24] In Jade Time
[25] The Beetles and the Bees
[26] Mischief Loves Company
[27] Agent Hayes
[28] Daredevil
[29] Homecoming
[30] The Coyote Circle
[31] Sparks Fly
[32] V for Valiant
[33] Atty and The Notebook
[34] Consequences and Cake
[35] The Brightest Minds
[36] New York, New York
[37] New Faces
[38] The Three Musketeers
[39] The Vipress
[40] Everybody Talks
[41] Survivor
[42] The Family Sherlock
[43] Matching
[44] What Matters Most
[45] Delicate
[46] The Baron and the Mistress
[47] The Roaming Boar
[48] How Hungry?
[49] Seven Hotdogs

[10] Friends and Dresses

6.5K 427 63
By galynad2009

Presley's out the high school doors, bounding towards me at top speed before the last bell even rings. I've no idea how she managed to leave a few minutes early, but I'm glad- waiting in the high school parking lot was getting lonely.

"Any longer and I would've snuck in," I tease, my voice muffled by the stiff denim of her jacket. She doesn't respond right away, instead she takes her time squeezing the life out of me.

When she finally releases, I get a good view of who's standing behind her and I understand. If I thought Nate was beautiful under the dusty light of the party, seeing him in this sunlight is mind-blowing. Presley leans close and whispers, "babe, lemme tell you. We spent the entire weekend together and oh my god he's such a good kisser!"

Great, now I'm thinking about Nate's kissing. Which I'm not sure is okay since I'm not too familiar with the girl code, so to speak. Honestly though, go Presley.

When Nate slips his hand in hers, she sighs the kind of sigh only happy people can do. Nate looks similar to the last time I saw him, thick hair pulled into a gorgeous bun and flawless bronze skin juxtaposed against bright clothing.

I glance around them, searching for Jay. Presley explains, "Jay is finishing that history test of his. We'll catch the bus once he's out." She pauses for a bit then adds, "I still can't believe that you not only convinced the eternal grouch to go to the ball, but also to take you with him. Some crazy stuff."

When I called her last night to tell her about Atty's 'change of heart' she freaked for a few minutes. My ear throbs just remembering all the excited screeching- some of it mine, since I got carried away by the hype.

Of course, Presley insisted I need a new dress so here we are, waiting outside the local high school on Monday afternoon. I'm giddy though, checking out new malls is always an adventure, especially when I have people to go with.

Since Jay hasn't shown up yet, Nate takes advantage of the time by grilling me with questions about the future. I groan, "you sound like my dad!"

He laughs, nodding. "Right, but you've got no clue where you'll be headed next year. I'm getting nervous for you!"

Yeah yeah, whatever Mr. Harvard.

As the rush of teenagers begins to settle, I spot Jay's familiar blond head among the hoards. He struggles to shuffle around the various lingering groups to finally get to us.

Once he's here, he doesn't waste a single minute. "C'mon, let's go."

We would, if I didn't get pulled into another hug. What's going on? Who is... well, not that I mind, the unknown hugger smells like lavender and holy crap, I'm a total sucker for lavender. If Atty wore lavender, he could get me to do literally anything.

Haha, he would never, but the thought of it is hilarious.

When the girl pulls back, the familiarity of her face is staggering. Those red locks, button nose, freckles... I'm thinking 'celery' but that cant be right. Hmm...

I gasp, "Celeste?" She's the girl I set up with that mountain mark dude.

She smiles wide. "Yup. I didn't think I'd see you here, are you a new student? Please say yes."

"Nah, I was just waiting for these guys," I gesture to Jay.

"Aw, boo. Oh! I saw you and I had to say thank you! Mark and I are dating and it's so great and god knows I messed it up the first time so you really came through for me."

I turn to Nate, smirking. "Maybe I should become a professional cupid."

He retorts without skipping a beat, "as long as you know which school to go to."

Damn him. I flip him the bird only to be met with thunderous laughter from all of them. This feels... oddly nice, I guess? I don't know.

Jay fidgets with the frayed ends of his backpack strap and shifts his weight from leg to leg. "C'mon, we gotta go, we gotta go."

"Man, why're you in such a rush?" Nate asks.

For a moment, Jay is silent. His cheeks pick up a pinkish tint and we all watch attentively as the wind whips his hair around. Finally, he blabbers really fast, his words flooding out all at once. "I studied all night yesterday for my test but I remember better when I'm standing so I spent hours standing and my butt hurts so I want to get a seat on the bus. So, can we please go? Now?"

Well, okay.

***/\/\***

This is the fourth store we're visiting and it's the same scenario again. Presley and Celeste arguing over their clashing styles, which style they believe fits me better, while I try on dress after dress. Meanwhile, Nate helps by using 'the fundamentals of color theory' (whatever that is) to be an ass and Jay meanders around the store messing with the mannequins and flirting with the associates, male and female alike.

I groan, settling down onto the plush white ottoman. The current dress I'm in, a stunning ocean blue piece with a plunging neckline and open back, is not ideal for sitting as I've just now learnt.

"Maybe you should wear a jade dress because, you know," Nate suggests, relaxing deeper into the one of those white papasan round chairs he's been hogging since we got here.

"Thank you, Nathan, for your crucial contribution," I drawl.

I tune back into Celeste and Pres' 'conversation', which is apparently something about the benefits of spikes in fashion.

Jay wanders back to the changing area just in time to say, "can you guys please not argue?"

Which is a sad mistake because both girls immediately shoot back, "it's not an argument!"

Nate nods understandingly. "Exactly. Pull yourself together Jay, they're clearly debating."

I clear my throat and clap twice. Instantly all four pairs of eyes are trained on me. This is exactly what kindergarten teachers do, so obviously it works on teenagers as well.

"It's been a few hours and there's nothing at this store. Let's get something to eat."

No one debates/argues with that. We're out the store and in the food court within minutes. We leave Pres to guard the table as the five of us branch out to different corners of the cuisine world.

The table is lively as everyone jokes and teases in between bites. I can't help but feel a small pang of jealousy in my chest. I wish I went to this school, I wish I lived in this town. If people like Pres or Celeste were my classmates, maybe I'd enjoy school.

No, that can't be right. There're probably great kids in my school too and I simply don't know since I spent all my time, the past four years, hanging with the cheerleaders. They're nice enough, but they don't laugh unguarded like Nate or tell mildly vulgar out-of-character jokes like Celeste, or even worry and love like Jay and Pres.

I came out here to buy a dress, not experience an existential crisis. What have I gotten myself into?

"This is all your fault," I mumble to Jay under my breath.

"You want my fries? Here," he sets his basket between us, sliding the ketchup over as well. That is not at all what I said, not even close. But somehow, I'm more upset now.

Maybe I should shove these four in a bag and take them back with me. I'll need back up to deal with the mess I've made back at home.

I'm spiraling deep in my thoughts when the table shakes as Nate desperately crawls underneath. What? Pres shuffles over to fill the spot and brings a chipped finger to her lips. "His mom is over there, act normal," she whispers.

On instinct my head begins swiveling and I'm immediately elbowed by Jay. "Don't look," he scolds under his breath. I can't help it, I want to turn around so badly. Just a peak.

A few minutes pass and I can tell she has left when I see Pres' shoulders slump as the tension is released. Nate crawls back up and begins eating as if nothing has happened.

Is Nate not allowed to come to the mall? Or maybe he's supposed to be somewhere else right now, like piano practice- he seems like the piano type, or the fiddle.

Or maybe its something else entirely.

I open my mouth to ask, but stop short when I notice the look Pres gives me. Eyebrows raised, lips pursed, as if she's promising to explain later.

And she does, but not right away. We finish eating, check one more store (a fruitless endeavor), pick up some track gear for Jay, and split up to head home. Then, she tells me.

As Jay, Pres, and I amble down the sidewalk towards our street, she sighs. "Nate's mom doesn't like me... no, it's more like, she hates me? Something like that. So yeah, he hid because it'd be a problem if she saw him and then saw me, y'know?"

"Why?" My voice comes out coarser than I expected.

"Because he's going to go to Harvard and become a fancy lawyer and eventually, chief justice. Big plans. Me? I play baseball. I swing a bat and plan to do so for the rest of my life. It's not exactly a favorable match."

"So? You like him and he likes you. Nothing else should matter." I don't understand.

"Right, I agree. But his mom matters, Jade. She matters to him and if I want a future with him, she matters to me too." The calm in Pres' voice is unsettling. She sounds resigned and I hate it.

"Okay," is all I say. But my head is already spinning with ideas. There're so many different ways to go about changing Nate's mom's biased mind.

Pres pinches my cheek, giggling. "Nate said he would handle it in time, don't meddle."

I can't be this easy to read.

Jay, who's been silent this entire time, clicks his tongue. Looking at him, I notice the clenched fists and tight jaw. "It's not right."

Pres swings an arm around each of us, pulling us in close. "I'll be fine, I've got you guys."

/\/\/\/\/\/\

So sorry for the late update guys! I had an event this week as well as an exam, but the next few days are open so the next chapter will be on time, this Friday :)

This was a build up chapter, aimed towards exploring more about her 'new' group of friends; next chap will be the ball (I'm so excited to write it, I hope you guys like reading it!)

Please let me know what you think 

Also, a very special thank you to @TaijenBlue @unicorn_107 and @defying_death for voting! Your support is honestly so encouraging and I'm very grateful <3

Chp pic: Nate ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.1M 656K 64
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
271K 9.9K 50
a very talkative girl named kahmyla came all the way from new jersey & moves to philadelphia. she has no friends but she finds interest in this one g...
48.1K 1K 54
not you're average mafia brothers and sister story.. This is the story of Natasha Clark, an assassin, mafia boss, and most of all the long lost siste...
105K 3.2K 30
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...