It All Started With a Diary

By leshae051304

I anticipated every breath, and every word. Each day, you could only take an uneducated guess at what he woul... More

my mistake
cry baby
clumsy kimberly
spatula beating
monster
dove
eggs
date
defending the enemy
eavesdropping
emma
fairy tale
aching feet
nosiness
ruining a moment
surprise
swingsets
you expect more, you get less
bumping heads
gummies
netflix junkie
fuel
the moon and the sun
steak
soggy pizza
the past|part 1
the past|part 2
beautiful girl
postponed|part 1
lies
done
maybe|part 1
maybe|part 2
fighting it|part 1
fighting it|part 2
fighting it|part 3
fighting it|part 4
fighting it|part 5
seen
answers
here
again
offer
retaliation|part 1
retaliation|part 2
retaliation|part 3
retaliation|part 4
thankful
silent punishment
broken
understand
antique
us
tough girl
light
run away
truth|part 1
truth|part 2
boyfriend-girlfriend
okay
olaf
presentation
fighters
lion
13
calm
you
dry
perfect
fine
ariel
butterflies
one
knees
anything
cupcake
burrito
holly jolly
snow
yours
wybie
craft
sleep
talk
listen
annabeth
exchange
angel
dead
stuffed
rose
to remember
rue
woe
triste
family
time
good
fight
race
earn
goodbye
mine
notes
effort
rain
skywrite
living
loving
epilogue
sequel

postponed|part 2

16K 609 170
By leshae051304

Enjoy! 🤍

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing"— Walt Disney
———————————————————

Chapter 28|Part 2
<——————————————->

"It's just his friend," I whispered to myself, clutching my chest in hand.

Luke bent down to the window at eye level, rolling his blue eyes.

"Open the door," he demanded.

I shook my head, though I knew he couldn't see me. I leaned back into my seat, remembering Kade's warning.

If anyone comes near the car, don't speak, don't look, and never associate with them.

Luke obviously knew I was in here. I sat completely still in my spot, nonetheless. I finally dared myself to look his way, Buy, once I did, I knew I was staring into the eyes of the devil. Or, something very close to it.

His lips twisted. "Just open the door," he hissed. "I'm freezing my fucking balls off out here."

I squirmed in my seat, biting down on my lip. I quickly averted my gaze forward, attempting to ignore his presence.

My peripheral vision helped me in many ways, but right now, it was the only thing keeping me from turning my head. But, once I saw him lean closer, I turned to him.

One hand was on the roof of his car, eyes squinted at me. "You either unlock the door, or I open it myself."

When I remained still, limbs stuck in place, he began to torment me.

"One."

"Two." Luke grinned, popping the bones in his back.

"Thr—"

"Fine!" I emphasized my words by quickly unlocking my door.

Luke lowered his hands, wearing a sly grin. His mouth upturned into a smirk as he scanned me over.

"Was that so hard?" he said sarcastically.

Yes. "What do you want?" I asked, attempting to hide my fear by glaring.

Luke ignored me, and instead walked to the driver side. I watched his every move, clenching my knife tightly, but his demeanor never once faltered at it.

After he was seated in the car, he reached back into his pocket. My hands grew sweaty as I thought of him pulling out a weapon. This man was huge; he could kill me by a flick of the finger.

Instead of fulfilling my fears, he pulled out a pack of cigarettes, one that was already opened. Before he pulled the stick out, he shot a glance at me.

"You just gonna stare at me?" he said, as if he were truly interested in the answer.

I shot my eyes back down to the ground, focusing on my heartbeat levels. I still felt his eyes linger for a minute or two, before returning to his task.

As he placed the cigarette between a set of pink lips, he looked at my shaky figure. "You don't talk much, do you?"

"Kade told me not to speak to anyone, not even you," I said, glaring down at my hands.

He snorted before lighting the cancer stick. "Well, you're not doing a real good job of that."

"Besides..." He puffed out air, swiping at his forehead with his free hand. "You really shouldn't be here, anyway. Kade knew better than to bring you anywhere around our shit. Especially here."

Well.

I sat quietly, thinking of what to say. I had only seen Luke a few times, though I knew he was a bit of an arrogant asshole. Never had I been with him for this long.

I placed a hand over my nose at the distasteful smell of smoke. The toxin was beginning to stink up the car, but that didn't seem to bother Luke.

He tilted the box of cigarettes my way, nodding toward it. I immediately shook my head before turning back toward the window.

"Ah," he mused. "Seems my good girl theory is proven."

I rolled my eyes before turning my head back to Luke. "What do you guys do?" I took advantage of his will to talk, though I knew not to push it too far.

Two fingers directed the cigarette away from his face. I didn't know if this was his idea of being a gentleman but he blew the smoke in another direction so that it would barely hit me before he shifted so that his back was against the foot.  "Something you really don't wanna know shit about, princess."

"Kade races cars," I blurted out. "I know that."

Luke took my outburst with a taken aback expression, tilting his head at me. Then, he erupted into fits of laughter.

I stared at him, confused. "What is it?"

"Kade told you he just races cars," he said slowly, as if trying to understand himself.

His head fell back against the seat as his laughter thundered through the car, only seeing an end when Kade appeared to the eye.

I watched as he walked out of the building, his demeanor tense, something distant his eyes. Something that he didn't look ready to share with ms anytime soon.

I should have went home.

Without raising his head, he walked to the car. Luke's laugh was long gone at the look of his friend's closed expression, instead replaced with what looked like his own version of concern.

Luke stepped out of the car, coming face to face with Kade. Neither of them spared me a second glance as they began to speak. All I managed to catch was the ending.

Kade threw a head flick my way. "Take her home for me."

Luke, whose expression reeked with agitation, said something else to Kade, sighing. They did some man handshake before Luke got back into the car.

I expected Kade to look at me, to speak to me, to do something. But, instead he did the exact opposite.

He turned from me, his rejection not bothering him like it did me. I grew angry, I grew sad, but most of all, I grew hurt.

"Don't do it," Luke voiced.

Fuck him. I reached for the handle of my door, ready to interrogate Kade in a way that he couldn't avoid.

My face grew grim as a hand yank me back. I knew it was Luke who held me by my wrist, tugging me back in with a gentle but firm grip.

His eyes narrowed in on me, rage set ablaze. "I said don't fucking do it. I don't like you but I'd rather not be here when your feelings get hurt," Luke said, his gaze marked with tension. "Don't make a fool of yourself."

My angry walls fell as his words sunk in. He was right; I was making a fool of myself here. I looked like a dumbass in the eyes of another functional being.

I helped this asshole, and this was how I was to be treated? Fuck that, and fuck him.

"Take me home," I said, my eyes stinging as I lowered them to my hands. "I don't want to be anywhere near any of this or any of you."

God, how truly stupid I was. I had asked Kade to take me here, to show me his life, but now, I was full of fear. I stayed and helped him, when I could have or should have just gotten my diary back. I was a good person, and it screwed me over. All over again. I wondered how many times this repeating pattern would take until I finally got the message.

I only made a fool of myself.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Kade stop walking. Luke's door was still open, meaning that he had heard me.

I felt a strong tug attempt to pull me along behind Kade. I quickly cut this tie and stomped right on it, attempting to tear my eyes away from his stuck figure.

His fists clenched, then undid themselves. He repeated this motion, his head beginning to turn back toward me. I tore my eyes away, closing them in order to make it out of this. He didn't deserve my reaction.

I kept them shut while Luke began to back out of the quiet area. I pushed myself to open them, but by the time I did, Kade was no in sight.

***

Luke glared after me as I grabbed my bag. "Santa Clause is gonna be halfway down my damn chimney by the time you get out."

I bit my lip in order to keep quiet. My emotions were truly never in tact, but now they seemed to be scattered all around me, still attempting to find their spots. I wasn't giving Luke or any of his bullshit any part of me.

"Fuck, I still can't believe Kade told you he just races cars," His laughter soon erupted all around me. It was deep and I could admit, very heavily attractive, but to me, it made my stomach turn.

As I placed my books, which had slipped out during the ride, back into my bag, Luke reached over to pull the door shut. I would have thanked him since my hands were full but before he closed it, his eyes roamed over me, judgement day passing right over me.

"Fuck," he chuckled. "You know, I'm actually starting to feel really fucking bad for you now."

I glowered at him, marking my lips into a scowl. "I don't want your pity."

"Don't worry," he flashed a stale smile. "It's for free. God knows you need it, freak."

I slammed the car door, my patience at it's limit.

Luke rolled the car window down, poking his head out. "But, I'm such a nice bastard, I'll let you in on something, just for your sake." He began to drive away, but not before adding one last thing, "I wouldn't be so surprised when you see a couple cars missing around here soon."

***

I wrapped my hair with a towel as I dressed in some comfortable sleepwear. As I awaited for my hair to dry, I checked over my phone.

Ten missed calls from Raven.

Twenty missed calls from Ryland.

Twelve missed calls from Dad.

I checked the time: six o'clock. Raven must still be awake then.

I sighed as I pressed the first call alert from Raven, twiddling with a loose strand on my sweats as I awaited her to pick up.

"Hello?" I spoke once the ringing stopped.

"Where in the hell are you? Where have you been?" Raven's voice scolded me through the phone. I couldn't even respond before she said, "You had me thinking you were somewhere in a damn ditch, murdered and decapitated!"

I sighed, not wanting to answer any of her questions right now. I felt tired, so entirely drained by today's events. Well, more than today, actually.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "I was sick, and couldn't get to my phone," I lied, hoping that my voice wouldn't me give away. 

It became silent on the other end, before she spoke again. "I came by your house, and no one was home." Fuck.

"That's because I was sleeping," I said rather quickly. I cringed at the pitch in my voice.

I could practically hear Raven's thoughts through the other line, though she remained silent for a moment. "Fine, but you need to start feeling better soon."

"And, why is that?" I muttered into the phone, my eyes drifting.

"Because, Maggie, Jax, and I exchanged numbers and began to talk, and we soon found out we were actually really alike," she explained.

I knew they'd all get along well. "That's good," I responded with a smile.

"And, I invited her and Jax to my house, and you have to come too," Raven finished, shuffling around on her end of the line.

I thought over this in the short span of time I had. Some days, it was still hard to imagine that I had friends. But, other days, it was hard to imagine not having Raven in my life.

Maybe this could be a good thing for us all. We could become closer as friends, and perhaps I could live the normal high school life. As untrue as it was, I could definitely hope.

"Fine," I caved in.

I removed the phone from my ear at the sound of Raven's loud scream of happiness. I chuckled slightly at her excitement, though I wished to return mine by sleeping.

I shook my head, smiling softly as she went on and on. I only heard glimpses of what she was saying, somewhere along the lines of 'I can't wait' and 'the best night' but by the time, she shut her mouth, my eyes were shutting.

***

The ringing of my phone caused my sleep to be cut short. I rubbed my eyes, raising the device to my eyes.

As the brightness of the screen glared back at me, I squinted my eyes to see the name. I frowned at the unknown caller ID. Less than eleven people even had my phone number, so no one else should be calling me.

Ignoring it, I placed my phone next to me. I urged myself into my slumber once again, until the same obnoxious tone sounded out again.

I groaned. "Just leave me alone," I grumbled angrily.

I picked up the phone, accepting the call. Pressing the device close to my ear, I waited for someone to speak on the other line.

"Hello?" The person spoke from the other end, their voice soft.

I frowned, not recognizing the voice. "Who is this?"

I heard the gasp from the other end, yet no spoken words.

"Kimberly, I...I don't know how to—or what to..." the person spoke again, their voice creaking slightly.

I froze, instantly recognizing the way they had spoken my name. I knew only one person who said my name with such fake tender.

"Who is this?" I spoke slowly, my voice shivering, and my body shaking.

I knew the answer; I knew it. But, I'd never wanted to be wrong so badly in my life.

The person on the other line blew a shaky breath into the phone. They were crying, she was crying.

"I-it's your mother," she whispered into the phone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

277 20 22
One night labels Summer a cheater. ... Summer's whole life changes after a one-night mistake shatters everything she holds important. She suddenly fi...
345K 7.9K 28
"Why do you care if I kiss other girls? We're not together, we're friends" he stated swallowing his emotions. "You're right, why should I care? Like...
10.3M 345K 33
"What the hell?! Kennedy!" I watch as Ryder turns around furiously and strides towards me. Oh oh. Maybe I took it too far... "What'...
219 1 4
*Full Available on Amazon and free in Kindle Unlimited. Also available in Audio.* FINALIST IN THE READER'S FAVOURITE BOOK AWARDS 2018. Sometimes, you...