Noctura

By joongalez

In a dark world, humans live among creatures known as Nocturas. These creatures live and thrive off of the li... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three
sixty five
sixty six
sixty seven
sixty eight
sixty nine
seventy
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five

sixty four

18 3 0
By joongalez

jinwoo

I RUN toward Minho, standing next to a girl lying on the ground, reaching out for someone in the distance.

In the exact moment I realize it's Seunghoon, I watch as Mariela slams a rock against his head.

Not even a moment later, a Noctura man grabs Seunghoon and runs off with him, Mariela close behind.

I get to Minho in time to force him not to go after Seunghoon.

"Minho!" I shout at him, trying to get his attention. "You can't go after him. You can't win that fight. Not right now."

He stares at me for a long moment before looking back down at the girl. "We have to get her somewhere safe."

Without any other words, Minho scoops the girl up and begins running with her. I follow him, keeping an eye out for anyone who might attack us as we're running.

But we make it away from the battlefield without any incidents.

Minho continues running toward the safe house.

Once we reach the safe house, I open the door for Minho and he steps through with the girl. I follow him inside and make sure the door is closed behind us, but not locked.

Minho lies the girl down on one of the couches in the front room.

"Who is she?" I ask. "What happened to her?"

"She's just unconscious," Minho answers. "But she's... she's the girl Seunghoon likes. His coworker. I needed to save her."

I don't say anything else. I don't know what else to say.

"Seunghoon didn't know I was a Noctura until just now," Minho tells me. "He saw me, he saw my eyes... I could see that it broke him. He probably hated me. In those last moments of his, he probably hated me, he—" His voice breaks.

I don't know how to respond because I know he's probably right.

"If he hadn't seen me, my eyes... if he hadn't figured out I was a Noctura... he would've been alert. He wouldn't have been attacked by Mariela. I'm the only reason she was able to get to him."

"I'm sorry, Minho," I respond quietly.

Minho's voice is shaking and cracking. "He's... he's probably gone, Jinwoo. Mariela probably... she probably... she..."

He can't even say the words.

"We don't know that," I try to encourage him. "She took him away. Maybe that was for a reason. Why would she have that guy take him away if he was dead?"

Minho doesn't respond to that, but I know he's thinking about my words.

He suddenly takes a deep breath, trying to pull himself together. "We can't think about it right now. We have to help Teagan."

Minho moves over to the girl lying on the couch. "We need to bandage her shoulder. And we need to get a splint or cast or something for her wrist."

"Where are we gonna find that stuff?" I question.

"Just search this house. I'll search down here, you search upstairs. Look for anything that could be used as a splint or bandage or something."

I do as Minho instructs and go up the stairs, heading for the bathroom first, to look for anything that could possibly help the girl, Teagan.

I find a supply closet and look through until I see a basket full of bandages and wraps and things like that.

Quickly, I make my way down the stairs and rush over to Minho, who's looking in the drawers in the kitchen.

"I got some stuff," I tell him.

He immediately comes over to where I am, next to Teagan, and rummages through the basket of first aid supplies.

"We can use these for her shoulder," he tells me, showing me some white bandages. "But we need something for her wrist. There's no splint in here or anything."

"Well, what if we wrap it up really tight? Until we find a splint or something," I offer.

Minho sighs. "We need a doctor. She needs to be in a hospital."

I give Minho a sad look. "I'm sorry. We can't really take her to a hospital right now. There's still a war going on outside and—"

I'm interrupted when the front door suddenly swings open and then quickly shuts.

Minho and I both look over to see Yoon standing there.

There's blood on his jacket, but I don't think it's his. He's breathing heavily, but he seems like he's fine.

"What happened?" Yoon asks, moving over toward us, seeing Teagan on the couch. "Wait, Teagan? Why is Teagan here?"

"You know Teagan?" Minho asks. "How?"

"She got the information about Jinwoo for me," Yoon says. He looks down at her, confused. "What happened to her? Is she okay?"

"She's unconscious," Minho answers. "I saved her. I had to save her. Seunghoon saw me and he... Mariela took him."

"Mariela? Oh, Minho..."

Minho looks up at Yoon, confusion in his eyes. "What?"

"She's leading this attack, Minho."

"She's... she's leading the attack? She's a Malum leader? I thought she was just fighting for the wrong team."

Yoon shakes his head. "The reason she wouldn't help us when we asked her was because she was going to lead this attack. She's fighting against us."

I clear my throat. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I think we should bandage Teagan's shoulder. It's still bleeding."

"Right, right." Minho quickly grabs the bandages, moves Teagan's shirt, and starts placing the bandage on the areas where there is an open wound.

"Her wrist is broken or something," I explain to Yoon. "We don't know what to do for a cast or a splint."

"We should get her to a hospital so they can cast it," Yoon says. "And she'll be safe from everything happening in this war anyway. How did she fall unconscious?"

"I don't know," Minho responds. "She just... passed out. I didn't know what else to do so I just took her here. Should we take her to a hospital?"

"Yes," Yoon responds. "We should get her to a hospital. She needs—"

The door swings open and Yoon immediately has his pistol pointed at the person slamming the door closed behind them.

It's a Noctura man with black and violet eyes. Yoon doesn't lower his pistol, so I'm guessing he doesn't know this person.

"Who are you?" Yoon asks, confirming my suspicions. "Why are you here?"

"Saw you run this way," the man answers with a grin. He puts his hands up in defense. "I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm just here for a message."

I see Yoon glance at Minho. "What message?"

"A message for Minho Song," the man says. "From Mariela Loftis, leader of the Malums."

"What's the message?" Minho steps forward, carefully blocking Teagan from the man's view.

"She has your friend." The man grins. "She's going to kill him if you don't meet her somewhere."

"Where?" Minho almost yells.

"A bus stop you guys used to meet at a lot," the man responds. "A ways away from here, I guess. Somewhere you guys won't be disturbed by all the gunfire as much."

"Fine," Minho snaps. "I'll go. I'll meet her. When?"

"In thirty minutes."

"Tell her I'll be there. Go! Get out of here!"

The man slinks away, making sure the front door is closed behind him.

Yoon turns to Minho and me, pocketing his pistol. "What do you think she wants?"

"She'll want me to do something in exchange for Seunghoon's life," Minho says. "I just have to see what she wants. I have to try to save him. He's not dead yet, but he will be soon, unless I do something about it."

Yoon nods. "Jinwoo and I will take Teagan to the hospital. I'll bring him back here and we'll see if we can do any more to help in the war. Will you be okay?"

"I should be fine," Minho responds. He turns to me and puts his hand on my shoulder. "Be careful, Jinwoo. Remember, let your instincts take over, but don't let anyone get close enough to you to hurt you. Try not to kill any of the humans, we want them to know we're on their side."

"It's okay, Minho, I know." I give him a slight smile. "You need to go save your friend."

Minho lets out a long sigh. "Okay. Yoon, Jinwoo, be careful."

He leaves first, wishing us well.

Yoon then grabs Teagan, telling me we'll go to the nearest hospital, a few blocks down.

I tell him I'll watch his back and protect him as he carries Teagan that way.

And then we're off, separate from Minho, separate from the war.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 214 37
When kyungsoo escaped the abuse of his latest pack he finds it difficult accepting that the pack he stumbled into is nothing like he'd ever known bef...
518 67 28
"They awake to the sound of their own panicked breath... They must run,hide and fight to survive... They need to finish the blood sport they are forc...
1.5K 265 73
Zero only has one goal, to be human. Escaping from the cell that once contained her, the outside world, which she longed to see for so long, is fille...
82.1K 6.2K 31
We are all connected, even though our paths have never crossed before. "Let's play a game, shall we? I will count to 20 and you can run away from me...