Element

By wienssm

Five Elements. One school. In a world unknown to man, there is a place called Dimicel. Each person who lives... More

✷ Prologue
✭ Chapter 1
✯ Chapter 2
✭ Chapter 3
✯ Chapter 4
✭ Chapter 5
✯ Chapter 6
✭ Chapter 7
✯ Chapter 8
✭ Chapter 9
✯ Chapter 10
✭ Chapter 11
✯ Chapter 12
✭ Chapter 13
✯ Chapter 14
✭ Chapter 15
✯ Chapter 16
✭ Chapter 17
✯ Chapter 18
✭ Chapter 19
✯ Chapter 20
✭ Chapter 21
✯ Chapter 22
✭ Chapter 23
✯ Chapter 24
✭ Chapter 25
✯ Chapter 26
✭ Chapter 27
✯ Chapter 28
✯ Chapter 30
✭ Chapter 31
✯ Chapter 32
✭ Chapter 33
✯ Chapter 34
✭ Chapter 35
✯ Chapter 36
✭ Chapter 37
✯ Chapter 38
✭ Chapter 39
✯ Chapter 40
A bit of news...
✭ Chapter 41
✯ Chapter 42
✭ Chapter 43
✯ Chapter 44
✭ Chapter 45
✯ Chapter 46
✭ Chapter 47
✯ Chapter 48
✭ Chapter 49
✯ Chapter 50
✭ Chapter 51
✯ Chapter 52
✭ Chapter 53
✯ Chapter 54 (and explanation)
✭ Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue Part 1
Epilogue Part Two
Epilogue Part 3

✭ Chapter 29

4.8K 210 22
By wienssm

    After that fight with Brooke, I had to fight Kaelie. I won with her by punching her in the stomach then the knees. She fell over. I felt really bad, but Kaelie said she was fine. When I try to apologize she just grins and tells me to shut up. I grin back and await the “special matches” where the instructors will assign us someone to fight as a final match. Finally, Mr. Bafte comes over and says Kaelie has been assigned to fight Atticus. I have to fight Robert. I swallow. He’s probably the toughest competitor here, at least aggression-wise. He’s also a few inches taller than me. But I must be somewhat good to be picked to fight him, so I feel alright.

    The final matches are arranged worst fighters to best. Nataly and Tess, who really struggled on the concept of actually hitting their opponent, go first, and the fights progress from there. Kaelie fights Atticus second, and Atticus is actually able to beat her. She returns to the group with a disappointed look, and I give her an encouraging hug. But I’m worried about Kaelie. She did alright on the running, but hasn’t done particularly well in anything else. I hope she makes it.

    As the second to last pair is called up, I realize I’m not in it. Which means I’m last, supposedly the best. I have a lot of expectations to reach now, it feels like. I focus only on breathing in and out while that pair battles. Nader is victorious over Dawson. Without even having to be called up, Robert and I step onto the battling mats. We dress into the battling gear, and stand on opposite sides of the mat. Mr. Bafte blows the whistle to start. But, as the best fighters, supposedly, neither of us know what to do. We just kind of stare awkwardly at each other, not sure how to start. Is it because I’m a girl and he’s a boy? Whatever the reason, we’re at a stalemate without even starting.

“Well, get on with it!” Forge calls out.

    We look to him, then back to each other. Suddenly. Robert rushes at me, knocking me to the ground. I hear snickering from the audience, and with cheeks burning, I get up. I’m able to punch him in the side only once before he grabs my wrist and twists my arm so I can’t move it. In a risky move, I kick backwards and successfully hit him in the shin. He lets go slightly and I twist out of it, kicking him more forcefully in the shin, then punching him in the stomach. I see his posture droop, which means his suit got heavier. But then, he punches me in the stomach. It’s such a strong punch that I stagger backwards, even with the padding. My suit feels a lot heavier just from that one punch. I run right back at him, but he’s expecting it, and trips me. I fall on my face, and he kicks my sides. With every kick, my suit becomes heavier and heavier. In a last-ditch attempt, I roll onto my back, but he plants his foot down on my chest. I can’t move. I can’t move.

    My arms and legs flail around, but the suit is way too heavy now. He picks his foot off of me, and I stop moving. I just stare at the ceiling, breathing hard. It’s over. There’s cheering from Dawson and Nader, but silence from everyone else. Did they all expect me to win? Mr. Bafte disables the suit and I’m able to get up. Robert is kind about it, however, and shakes my hand with a smile.

“You did very well. I’m glad I got to battle you,” he says quietly.

“Oh, well uh, thanks. You too,” I say, blushing.

Mr. Bafte blows his whistle to close the match. “Robert wins over Ramaya.” he announces, then writes it on his clipboard. Forge, Ms. Benting, and Mr. Farefax are eyeing me curiously, then Ms. Benting writes a short note on her paper. I turn back to face the group, then join them.

Brooke claps me on the shoulder. “Great job!”

“But I lost.” I say, frowning.

“Yeah, but you didn’t give up. And you had some strong moves up there!” Kaelie says, grabbing my arm. I good-naturedly shake her off, and look to the instructors for more information. General Forge just says we’re all meeting back up at the front of the room for the closing. So we all walk back, slowly joined by the other four groups. General Forge walks to the middle of the track and waves to Mr. Farefax to do something. He hurriedly presses buttons on a screen and the ground beneath Forge raises up on a platform so he is visible to all eyes.

“Hello.”

Everyone is chattering with friends.

“Hello!” General yells again. “Attention!”

His voice booms through the room, and everybody’s head snaps up to look at him.

“Today was the first day of Battle Team tryouts. Although strength is not the most critical part,” I smile. Maybe Kaelie will get in! “If you did horrible today, you most likely not get into Battle Team.”

    I close my eyes. Kaelie did quite bad, so she only has a small chance of getting into Battle Team. But a chance is a chance.

“Those of you who did great, congratulations. But don’t go off celebrating just yet. There are still two days left of tryouts, and a lot can happen in two days. Good luck.” He smiles at us. “You are dismissed. Please go to your locker rooms and change. We will see you all tomorrow morning. Have a good rest of your day!” He lowers the pad he was standing on, and the students stream out into the hallway.

    Kaelie, Gavin and I say goodbye to Brooke, and we walk to the locker room. I didn't pay attention to how well Gavin did, I think that in our group, he was always in the middle. But he and Kaelie are holding hands and talking excitedly, so he must have done somewhat well. I feel suddenly envious of the two of them. I feel like Rhodes, no matter how much he does like me, doesn't go out of his way to express anything to me. But I shove the thought aside, and try to be thankful we have any sort of relationship. I unlock my locker and change out of the training suit. I see Gavin and Kaelie hug goodbye, then he leaves for his half of the room. Kaelie stays looking at him for a moment, then comes to change next to me.

"I think we did really well today, don't you?" She chirps excitedly. Always the optimist, she is.

"Um, yeah." I say. "But you aren't worried a bit?"

She turns to face me. “Ramaya, I know I wasn’t the star of the group today. That was you! But I’m still trying to get in. And for me, being optimistic helps me with that. Lighten up!” she says teasingly.

I smile and roll my eyes slightly. “Yeah, ok. Sorry.”

“It’s ok. Why don’t you see if we can grab some food? We might be able to get some lunch leftovers,” she says.

“Ugh. Yeah. I’m starving.”

“Me too. Let’s go.” We close our lockers and they beep to inform us they’re now locked as we walk away.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

    The next morning, we all go through the same routine. Wake up early, eat together, trek to the openings, change, meet in air training room. Forge gives us the run-down of today- that it varies element to element, and that today we’ll be broken up into element groups, not age groups. He descends the platform and shouts out which teachers are taking what groups. It’s the same as the tours, except now air has Mr. Farefax. As the other groups stream through various doors into their own training rooms, Mr. Farefax turns to us.

“Alright. Now we’ve got this whole place to ourselves,” he says, spreading his arms out with a smile, “we can really get down to work. Now, having brute strength is great, but what makes Battle Team different than just wrestling is actually using your element. And doing just that is crucial. Now, as air, we have a fabulous advantage.”

Everyone leans in to hear what it is.

“We can fly.” he says simply. Cheers from the group.

“But I’m not here to be your flying teacher. You all already have that. But I am going to test your flying. In fact, let’s start with that,” he finishes with a smile.

Ok. I’m ready for this. I can do flying.

“During battles in the arenas, you will most likely have to fly around an area that has environmental dangers, like sharp glass, perhaps, or poisonous plants. And you can’t touch them. So, here we have a raised obstacle course that you have to fly through. If you touch it, it splats a red paint blob on to you. It also tallies it all up your total touches at the end of your flight, and your score is based on that. Also, how fast you get through. So go quickly but accurately, understand?”

“Yes!” we all shout out. Mr. Farefax nods with a smile and presses a button on the wall. Suddenly, a giant hole opens up in the floor, and a huge metallic structure begins to raise up. When it finishes its ascent, the hole closes beneath it. Someone gasps. It’s exactly what Mr. Farefax described. A huge obstacle course, complete with tubes, walls, and poles blocking your way. But the whole thing is on top of tall poles, so it’s all about twenty feet above the ground. A platform signifies the start.

“Line up below the platform,” he instructs. We all walk over, necks craning to get a good look at what we have to fly through.

“Who wants to go first?” Mr. Farefax says cheerfully.

“I will,” a seventh-year blurts. All eyes turn to him.

“What’s your name?”

“Kinson Vets.”

“Ok Kinson, fly up to the platform, and when you hear a beep, go.”

“Alright,” he says grinning. He rotates his palms towards the floor and rockets up past the platform, but then drops lightly to stand on it. We hear a faint beep a few seconds later, and he’s off. Remarkably agile, he spins through tunnels, dodges hanging spheres, and flies over walls and in between posts. Halfway through, his toes brush a pole, and suddenly his grey training sneakers have a red splash on them. I hear him grumble something angrily and he slows down for a second.

“Don’t stop!” Somebody from the group calls out, and the person’s met with a disapproving stare from Mr. Farefax. But Kinson hears the shout and speeds back up. He finishes the course in 31 seconds with only one touch.

“Impressive,” I hear Mr. Farefax say to himself as he writes the time and number one on his paper. “Next!” he yells, and some fifth-year steps up.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

    I made it through the course in 29 seconds, but with two touches. I was so nervous when it got to my turn my arms flailed around when I first started and I touched a pole. Later, my knee bumped a wall. But my time was better than most, so I feel alright. Kaelie got 36.5 seconds, but no touches. Gavin got 28.5 seconds with three touches. Kaelie rooted Gavin on the whole time, but I think her yelling made Gavin stop focusing on the course and he slapped a pole with his arm and foot. Oh well, his time was great. He’ll be alright.

“Speed is also the other crucial component of flying during battle. If you have to fly across an area being attacked, flying fast will decrease your chances of being hit. This test is very simple. Fly to the other side of the room and touch the touchpad. It’ll show your time. Memorise it and while the next person is flying, come back and report your time.”

Everyone looks down the room. We can’t even see the other side. Murmurs from the group.

“Ok. Why don’t we have, ah…” he looks down his list of names, “Kaelie Westborg go first.”

She looks at me, and I smile encouragingly. Slowly, she makes her way to the wall and puts her hand on it.

“Ready?”

“Uh… Yeah.” she says nervously.

“Alright. Ready, set… Go!”

    Kaelie shoots off. Slowly gaining altitude, she rockets across the room into the darker other half. Watching her fly, I realize the true enormousness of the space. The ceiling is easily four stories high and is black. Kaelie has to fly to the side of the lights, which hang in a line down the center. I watch her fly until I can’t make out her shape anymore and she goes into the darkness. A few seconds later, a beep sounds from the wall tablet, signifying she touched the touchpad.

“Ok! One down! Come on over,” he motions to a fifth-year boy who shuffles over.

“Ready, set… Go!”

He takes off. A few minutes later, after two more people have left, Kaelie returns, faintly sweating.

“This room… is way too big.” She says with a smile.

I laugh. “I know! I couldn’t even see you when you finished!”

“Yeah, the lights gradually got dimmer until it was nearly black. I could hardly see the touchpad!” We both laugh again. Soon enough, it’s my turn.

“Pace yourself, Ramaya,” Kaelie yells to me. I nod at her, and stride to the wall, placing my right hand on the cool cement wall.

“Ready, set… Go!”

    My heart leaps into hyperdrive and I rocket off the wall and into the air. I slowly gain altitude until I’m about six feet below the ceiling and flying faster than I ever have before. It’s exhilarating and scary at the same time, but soon I start to get tired. My arms and wrists start to hurt from flexing my hands to push the winds. And I notice the dimming lights, making it increasingly harder to see what’s around me. But still I push on, feeling the cool air brush my face and arms. A bit later, I see the wall speeding at me in the darkness, and I slow down a bit so I don’t crash. I reach one arm out to touch it. It makes impact with the touchpad and sends a shock through my arm.

“OW!” I shout out, wincing. Should’ve thought that through some more. But the time on the wall pleases me. A minute forty-seven seconds. Wow. That’s a huge room for how fast I was flying. My eyes adjust to the dim lighting and I move to the wall and begin the long walk back. As I’m walking back, my breathing becomes quieter and I stop sweating. Three people fly by me in a grey blur. I finally make it back to the group and tell Mr. Farefax my time. He raises his eyebrows at me.

“1:47? That’s what the screen said?”

“Uh, yeah.” I say, frowning. “Is something wrong?”

“No. No, not at all,” he says, smiling a bit.

“That’s an amazing time. For a fourth-year. Actually, for anyone. Great job,” he says, putting his hand on my shoulder briefly, then releasing me to go back with the group.

“So, Kaelie, what was your time?” I ask her.

“Well, it wasn’t that great.”

“How do you know? What can you compare it to?” I say, but immediately dread to hear what it actually is.

“Yeah I guess you’re right. Well, it was 2:19.”

2:19? She broke two minutes? I put on a tight smile. “Oh. Oh, that’s good, Kaelie.”

She scouts my face with her dark eyes. “Ramaya, please. Just don’t. I know. I’m no good for this,” she says, looking down suddenly.

“Kaelie!” I exclaim. “No! You’re doing fine! You just have to keep going!”

“Really? You think I have a chance? You honestly think that…” she says, shaking her head.

I frown. “I… I… Kaelie, I honestly don’t know. You just gotta hope for the best. And what happened to being positive, huh?” I say, smiling for her sake. I hug her, and I feel her shake with a single sob.

“Oh, Kaelie…” I don’t know what to say. She doesn’t cry but stays quiet in my arms. Finally she looks up at me.

“I’m… I’m sorry. I know. I just need to keep going. Keep trying.” She smiles bravely.

“Yes. That’s exactly what I need you to do. Me, too.” I say quietly.

“Alright!” Mr. Farefax breaks the relative silence. “Great job to everyone! It’s a pretty big room, huh?” Laughter and smiles from the group. “I know! Now, let’s test control of the winds and wind burst aim accuracy.” We follow him to  where targets are on a wall.

“Now, with proper training, wind bursts can become like undamaging bullets- very strong and tightly packed. And that’s what we’re looking for, along with deflection and “wide-area blowdown.” I’ll explain more about the latter in a bit. So, when you shoot at the target it measures the strength of the gust and exactly where it hit. Line up in front of these three targets.”

    We get into three even lines and wait behind the yellow line where the tester stands. I’m first up with Kaelie and Gavin.

“You get five shots. Make ‘em good.” Mr. Farefax says. I take a deep breath, cup my hands, pull back, and release. The target glows in the spot I hit- a large blob-shape right above the center. I groan. Not tightly-packed or aimed very well. I watch as Gavin’s able to cover the center, but not with a very small gust. I go again, the same time as Kaelie. I concentrate on compacting the air inside my hands as I shove them forward. I create a small circle-shape right below the center this time. Better, but not good enough. Kaelie does the same thing I did the first time. I go again, closing my eyes as I pull back. I can actually feel the wind inside my cupped hands swirling viciously, trying to escape. I open my eyes, push my hands forward, and let the air go. I gasp as I see where the target glows. A perfect, tiny circle right on the center. Gavin and Kaelie stop shooting and gawk at the imprint while it lasts. Then it disappears.

“Keep going. We don’t have all day,” Mr. Farefax says, glancing at his watch. But by the tone of his voice, I can tell he’s impressed. I shoot my last two times, and recieve the same pleasing result as the third. Kaelie finally managed to get her gusts to hit the center, but they’re not compact enough. Gavin only got it on his last try. The next three people step up.

    At the end of this test, only two others have been as successful as me, both making it perfectly three times. I smile, knowing I’ve got a great chance currently at making it onto the team. But Kaelie… I don’t know.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

“Deflection is exactly what it sounds like. Being able to divert a projectile coming at you away from yourself, using the winds. Here we have a room that you will step into one at a time. Different things will come shooting at you, ranging from dust to chunks of rock. However if the object comes close enough to hurt you before you deflect it, it will disappear. Good luck.”

    The first person steps into a room located off of a side of the training room. The deflection testing room has big windows looking in to the main room, so we can all watch the person. The girl in first looks extremely wary, glancing at the walls of the room like they’re about to explode. Suddenly, a rubber ball comes shooting at her. She turns and shoots a gust of wind at it so forcefully, it stops in mid air and goes flying back at the wall. People in the group cheer, and she smiles. Then, a rock the size of a fist comes hurdling from the ceiling, and she’s able to deflect it too. The test continues until another few rocks, a pinecone, various branches, some dust, a splatter of paint, and more assorted balls are shot at her. The only thing she missed was a tiny bouncy ball, shot from directly behind her. I wait my turn. Eventually, Mr. Farefax gets to me.

    I step into the room, eyeing the walls like the first girl. The door closes, and a slight humming noise begins. I immediately deflect a spray of paint particles shot from the left of me. They blow back towards the wall and color it pink briefly before it disappears. Throughout my testing, I dodge all the same things as the first girl, just in a different order. I only miss one rock. The humming stops at the end of my test, and I get a tiny bit of applause, the same as everyone who was successful. The rest go, with varying degrees of results.

“Now for our last test- something we call wide-area blowdown. Basically, we have a bunch of sensors resting on sticks. They’re arranged in two rows, both very long. You need to blow down as many as you can. You have two tries, each time they will reset if you knocked them over.” We walk to another side-room, containing exactly what Mr. Farefax described. This one’s a lot easier, since you’re trying to blow away as much as you can instead of aiming it all at one spot. Most people knock down at least 75 percent of the sensors. I get them all except for three. Finally, Mr. Farefax announces that tryouts are over for today, and that we did a very good job.

“But there’s no closing announcements besides tomorrow’s the last day, so don’t bail out now. Go to lunch, and I’ll see you tomorrow,” he says. We all change quickly and head back to the school grounds.

•••

Ok, Two days of tryouts done, one to go. Who do you think will make it based on the first two days?

I hope this chapter didn't bore you all to death. Don't worry, only one more chapter of this. But I think this is actually our longest chapter yet! Coolio.

Thanks for being loyal readers. Let's hope Ramaya and her friends make it into Battle Team! *slips General Forge $20, "please get Ramaya in."*

Megan and Wien <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74 0 9
after current Gurdian died due to an attack it's up to his children to stop the attacker from taking over the children of the Elements and guardian's...
20.5K 1.9K 58
Third installment in the Four Elements series. Andie and her friends finally reached senior year. But of course, when you're the living incarnatio...
202K 6.7K 33
(Soon to be an eBook) Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Lightning, and Ice. These are the six main elements of the world. Fire to warm you. ...
311K 19.3K 21
***This story takes place 100 years before the events of Falcon and ELEMENT WIELDER. It is a novella prequel to Element Wielder!!!!**** On planet Va'...