The Spirit Guardians Book 3:...

Da ad_meliora

Two years later, Cassie has nearly completed her training and is beginning to take the steps she needs in bui... Altro

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 16

11 0 0
Da ad_meliora

Lillian stood outside on the porch with Cherie, watching steam rise from the grill. The sun was still bright even in the evening now that summer had arrived. The temperature was at least comfortable though, and hopefully would remain so for the dinner that would commence later that night.

"So Mitsuki likes steak, huh?" Cherie asked.

Lillian nodded, beginning to string lights across the porch. She'd already completed decorating the porch in balloons. They were blue, Mitsuki's favorite color.

I know more about her than I thought, Lillian realized. She knew Mitsuki's favorite food, her favorite color, her favorite time of day (dusk, right when the stars came out). Her favorite animal was a raccoon, and she loved any dessert with chocolate in it. She disliked the taste of coffee and was adamant that she have at least an hour to herself each day to decompress. She loved Halloween and slept with her covers bundled around her head at night.

Lillian felt her cheeks grow hot and continued stringing lights. She'd barely had the chance to wish Mitsuki a happy birthday earlier in the day. Lillian had woken up late after a night of unrest and had caught Mitsuki just before she left to go to training.

"Lillian," Cherie interrupted. She had definitely asked Lillian a question but Lillian had been too wrapped up in her thoughts to hear.

Lillian looked up. "Yes? Sorry?"

"I asked if you tied all the balloons up."

"Yeah, I did. Sorry. Didn't sleep that well last night," Lillian muttered, plugging the lights in so that they reflected a burnt yellow across the porch.

Something was growing inside her with each passing day when she thought of Mitsuki. When they had made up from their fight, there was something in Lillian that wanted to hold onto her forever. She still wasn't sure why Mitsuki had broken down into tears, but all she knew was she wanted to stroke her hair and hold her hand and...

Lillian's breath caught. This was what had kept her up at night. A lot of times she fell asleep imagining Irene sleeping beside her. It was stupid to keep up the façade that Irene still cared for her deep down. They had dated when Lillian was seventeen and Irene sixteen. Their relationship had barely lasted a year. But it had struck something deep in Lillian. There was something difficult about letting go of the first person she had opened up to.

Because now when she fell asleep, she thought of Mitsuki's strands of hair tickling her nose or their hands interlaced together. Lillian was beginning to tingle just at the thought of it.

But then she remembered what Cassie had said about Irene. That was she was suffering. Did she still owe something to Irene? Did she still need to make sure Irene was cared for? She could feel Irene slipping from her grasp, but Lillian did not see that as necessarily a bad thing. The blue eyes that haunted her were now replaced by the bright illumination of Mitsuki's dark brown eyes.

"Do you think she'll like the decorations?" Cherie wondered.

Lillian giggled. "Mitsuki isn't one for attention, but I'm making sure she gets a proper party anyway. You only turn twenty-four once. Two dozen years on this earth should be celebrated."

"Good, good. You already have the present all wrapped up?"

Lillian quietly nodded. After going with Cherie to one of her meeting places, they'd stopped at a small town and browsed the shops. Knowing Mitsuki's birthday was coming up, Lillian had taken it upon herself to buy a present. She was planning to give it to Mitsuki privately later that night.

The decorations were soon finished, and the others headed outside to snack on some appetizers as Cherie finished up dinner. The porch door suddenly opened, and Lillian jolted. Mitsuki stepped out, narrowing her eyes as she gazed at the decorations. Francesco was following behind, jingling his car keys in his hand.

"Happy Birthday!" they shouted.

"Do you like it?" Lillian asked, quickly heading over to Mitsuki's side.

"You planned this?" Mitsuki wondered. She still hadn't given Lillian a smile, and the Lillian was beginning to grow nervous that she'd done something wrong.

"Lillian pretty much planned everything. I just helped," Cherie called from the grill.

Mitsuki turned and finally flashed Lillian a smile of gratitude. "I do. Thanks," she said. She gazed around. "You got me blue balloons? And you're making steak?"

"And there's a chocolate cake for dessert," Lillian quietly added.

"You know me better than myself," Mitsuki said, laughing to herself a little. "I'm famished. Is dinner almost ready?"

"Just about," Cherie announced as she plated the steaks.

Lillian felt her heart pick up pace when Mitsuki grabbed her hand. "Let's go eat, then," she said.

Lillian sat comfortably next to Mitsuki as she regaled stories about her training sessions earlier in the afternoon. Lillian wasn't used to seeing Mitsuki act so relaxed around the others as she chatted with them, but she supposed the glass of wine Mitsuki was sipping on helped.

Lillian herself was rather quiet during the celebration. She kept stealing glances of Mitsuki every now and then, admiring the sleek blackness of her hair or her long eyelashes or pale lips.

"You're awfully quiet," Mitsuki finally noticed as Cherie began preparing the cake. She nudged Lillian with her elbow.

"Am I?" Lillian asked, trying to hide her embarrassment. "I'm just a bit tired, that's all."

"Here we go," Cherie said, stepping forward with a cake lit with candles. She gently set the cake in front of Mitsuki, and the others began to sing.

Lillian watched as Mitsuki took a deep breath before blowing the candles out. Cheers echoed, and Mitsuki grasped a candle, licking the frosting from it.

"That's disgusting," Lillian commented. "You're going to burn your lips."

"It's my birthday, not yours," Mitsuki teased, setting the candle down.

She watched happily as Mitsuki ate a large piece of cake, though Lillian wasn't feeling well enough to have a piece herself. The others presented simple gifts to Mitsuki—some new athletic gear, various chocolates, straight-up cash, which Mitsuki happily accepted.

"I'll give you your gift later," Lillian muttered quietly beside her.

She watched Mitsuki tense, then slowly relax her muscles. "Okay..."

They were chatting and celebrating until the sun went down. Lillian headed upstairs to get ready for bed and messed with the small square box in her hands, wrapped in blue wrapping paper. She waited until Mitsuki exited the bathroom and headed into her room before following after her.

Lillian took a deep breath and quietly knocked on the door. Mitsuki told her to come in less than a moment later.

"What's so special about your present that you're giving it to me now?" Mitsuki asked as she ran a brush through her hair.

"See for yourself," Lillian said, handing her the present.

Mitsuki eyed her suspiciously and tore the wrapping paper away. A red jewelry box remained. She watched Mitsuki slowly open it and stare at the item inside.

"I-I know you don't normally wear jewelry, but," Lillian held up her wrist, showing the blue bracelet wrapped around it. "It's a matching set."

Mitsuki slowly removed the bracelet, staring at it. She was quiet for a few moments, studying it with intensity.

"Sorry. I can get you something else if you don't want it," Lillian said, beginning to fear that Mitsuki absolutely despised the gift.

"Can you help me put it on?" Mitsuki asked instead. "Which arm did you put it on?"

"My left," Lillian said, carefully using her fingers to clasp the bracelet around Mitsuki's wrist.

"When did you have the time to get it?" Mitsuki wondered.

"When I was out with Cherie earlier in the week. Do you like it?"

Mitsuki quietly nodded and stared down at her wrist. She had grown much quieter than when she was celebrating an hour early.

"Thank you," Mitsuki said, running her fingers over the thin bracelet.

"Did you have a good birthday?" Lillian asked.

Mitsuki nodded. "Yes. You didn't have to plan anything, really."

"Well, Cherie was going to have a celebratory meal regardless. I wanted to make sure she got the details right. Happy birthday."

Mitsuki grinned and leaned forward. Lillian was taken aback as she wrapped her arms around her, but then she slowly relaxed, wrapping her hands around Mitsuki's side and leaning down into Mitsuki's hair.

She stood like that for a few moments, feeling Mitsuki breathe gently against her. Lillian began rubbing her hands up and down Mitsuki's back, though she wasn't sure why. She felt Mitsuki let out a quiet sigh in response.

Lillian's cheeks were burning hot. She wasn't sure what this moment was, but she didn't want it to end. One hand moved away to grasp Mitsuki's. She felt Mitsuki stiffen at first, but then Mitsuki's fingers interlaced with hers. Lillian relaxed at her touch.

Slowly, Lillian pulled away, staring down at the girl in front of her. Their eyes locked, and for a moment, Lillian thought she might gravitate toward Mitsuki's lips, but she stopped herself. How did she know that was what Mitsuki wanted? Wasn't she still pining over Irene?

"I, uh, should go to bed," Mitsuki mumbled, breaking up the moment.

Lillian slowly let her hand drop. "Oh, right. I bet you're tired. You had a long day."

Mitsuki slowly nodded.

"Well, uh, g-glad you like the present. Happy birthday. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," Mitsuki said softly.

Lillian gave her one last glance before stepping out of the room and shutting the door behind her. She walked only a few steps down the hall before pausing with her back against the wall. She shut her eyes, trying to block out the emotions whirling toward her.

In all that had happened these past few weeks, she was beginning to be sure of one thing.

She loved Mitsuki.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

10K 730 48
[COMPLETED] Lily Bishop is in trouble in Book Three of the Ballad of the Seer series. She is on the run with her boyfriend and soulmate, Duncan, atte...
12K 457 38
[3/3 The Ten Keepers Series] Zerif has grown much stronger and so has the Wyrm. Both groups struggle to get to the next place where the compass leads...
3.6K 426 60
Book 1 & 2 | Sunday Updates The guardians vanished 50 years ago, but now their power shows up in six unsuspecting youths... Sheltered from birth, Li...
12.6K 1.8K 55
(Book Three in the Whispers of Nowhere Trilogy) The Spectrum has fallen. Those not trapped within its borders find themselves scattered across the re...