Beautifully Damaged

By Jisabella

Watty Awards 2012 Fantasy Undiscovered Gem Winner The world takes on a new meaning when Blaise Anthony wakes... More

Beautifully Damaged
1. Awakened
2. Stares
3. Remorseless
4. Alex
5. Choices
6. Trust
7. Panic
8. Alone
9. Insane
10. Respect
11. Nightmares
12. Dark
13. Lies
14. Caring
15. Aftermath
16. Bear
17. Forever
18. Trickery
19. Defiance
20. Strength
21. Angel
22. Answers
23. Fear
24. Lost
25. Return
26. Truth
28. Courage
29. Oblivion
30. Reawakening
31. Stolen
White Light

27. Control

4.9K 99 4
By Jisabella

Warm leather pressed against my skin as I sat in my unmoving car, on the side of a Detroit back road. I couldn’t stop thinking about what I’d just found out. That I was Lucy Tegen, Chris’s dead sister- or so my whole family thought. Veronica’s, or my mother’s, reaction to my appearance outside of her house was finally understandable, and I regretted my haste in revealing my existence to her. It had pained her, that much was painfully clear, and there was no real way to tell her what had happened. Being brought to realize my own past was hard enough, but I could deal with it because I wanted to know. I doubted that Veronica would be willing to listen, and I realized that I was prepared to let her move on.

The simple truth was that Lucy Tegen had been wiped off the map, and old graves didn’t need to be dug up. I’d been given a fresh start, and now that I was aware of my past, I needed to begin to move away from my searching. Now, the only thing standing in my way was Alex.

Without thinking, I unhooked my iPhone from the dashboard and dialed his number. My instant thought was that I was acting on impulse, in the heat of the moment- yet, I felt in control, though I could easily recognize my anger.

Yes, it was late, but I didn’t feel like I was doing something wrong. I didn’t feel apprehensive or awkward. There was nothing for me to be ashamed of, not around Alex, not anymore. It was time for him to answer to me, whether it was an inconvenience to him or not.

“Blaise?” He answered after barely a full ring, sparking a slight start in me. Alex’s voice was breathless, and I distinguished his tone as anxious of all things.

“Yeah, it’s me.” I said, surprised at how cool my voice sounded. It was breezy, as if I hadn’t just discovered that most of my existence was a well-fabricated lie, and that Alex was the cause of it.

Alex exhaled, and I could almost imagine him running his hands through his hair in relief. “Where have you been? You disappeared this afternoon-”

“I know,” I interrupted, smothering my growing irritation at his caring act. I couldn’t discern how much I could handle of his voice when I had experienced, first hand, what his personality really was like. A long silence flowed through the clean reception and I was secretly smug inside that I had managed to stun him into speechlessness. “Just took a little road trip is all.” The implication in my voice was well hidden, when I noticed that I wanted to confront him in person.

Alex hesitated a second more, his usual confidence evaporated. “Where are you?”

“Heading back home,” I dismissed evasively, restarting my car and pulling back onto the quiet road. “Just wanted to call because I bolted earlier and I saw your missed calls when I turned my phone back on.” Lying through my teeth was way easier than it should have been, and my nonchalance scared me a little. Since when had this become second nature to me?

“Okay.” He replied, and I could hear his confusion, try as he might to hide it.

After saying goodbye, I hung up and plugged my iPod back into its dock, letting Marianas Trench fill my car once more. Strangely, an endless sense of resolve and peace instilled itself in my veins, and I did not have any uncertainties about what I was going to say or do. I needed Alex to tell me the truth himself, and then I would react. Until then, my questions were satisfied and I was still and quiet inside.

Answers had changed me beyond the point where I could turn back, and I wasn’t sure if that was a good thing.

***

When I finally pulled into the parking lot in the back of the Taurus Building, it was ridiculously early in the morning, and I doubted that I would endeavor to get to school in a couple of hours. My mind was fitfully silent, and I was reluctant to get out of the car because I was unused to the silence. Music readily filled the space that my scattered thoughts normally occupied.

Reluctantly, I disengaged my iPod from its connection and climbed out of the car, wincing at the stiff soreness in my back and legs. I reached upwards, stretching out my abused muscles with a groan and sleepily headed toward my apartment building.

A car swung toward the pavement, the headlights searing my eyes. My body reacted and flinched away, closer toward the wall. It pulled up to the sidewalk, not even coming close to where I had been standing, and out jumped Alex.

My earlier confidence was not dashed, but I was tired- too tired to want to hash this out with him at four in the morning. Optimistically, I moved toward the front doors, trying to make it seem like I hadn’t seen him.

“I know that you know I’m here.” He called me out, standing by his car with his arms crossed over his chest.

I dragged myself around to face him, forcing some lucidity into my brain before I even started to talk to him. “Why are you here, Alex?”

In the weak light of a lamppost, I couldn’t distinguish his features clearly, but his delay gave away the fact that he was weighing what he should say to me. A sigh parted his lips and he leaned against his car. “What do you know?”

There it was. The full force of the blow hit me, stealing the breath from my lungs. One way or another, I had believed the demon, but the reality really only caught up when I got the confirmation from Alex.

My voice escalated from frustrated and quiet to accusatory very quickly. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I demanded. “You had all of the answers I needed, and you didn’t tell me.”

“Is that all you’re mad about?” He asked, his voice softer than I had expected.

“No!” I snapped, letting my anger run free. Gathering my thoughts, I started in on what really mattered here. “You let her die?”

Alex’s face contorted in something comparable to a cringe, but he masked it quickly, taking a few steps forward until he was in my space. “You mean I let you die.”

I refused to back up; I was tired of being overpowered. “It was your responsibility and you just decided her life didn’t matter anymore?”

“It wasn’t like that-” He began, but I couldn’t let him carry on.

“What was it like, then? Enlighten me Alex, because I honestly don’t understand.” I forced the dispute, brought the challenge out into the open, adrenaline washing away my earlier tiredness.

His jaw clenched, clearly outlined by shadows. The grey in his eyes grew colder, the first bite of a harsh winter. “There’s a lot more going on than you understand,” He replied finally.

I laughed, short and harsh. My eyes leveled with his. “And whose fault is that?”

“Don’t,” Alex warned, muscles jumping in his jaw and down his neck. “You have no idea.”

“Well then tell me!” I yelled, my voice carrying easily across the street. Alex took a step back. “If I’m so blind to what has truly happened, then give me a clue!”

“I made a mistake!” He roared, desperation pitching his voice higher than normal.

It was my turn to step back; letting those words settle between us. No words came to me then, I was powerless to do much more than watch the Alex I had created, the monster, disappear, crumbling at the foundations. My mouth hung open, grasping for the words it couldn’t find.

His grey eyes were torn, their ice thawed down revealing their real depth. “I was stupid, and wrong but I didn’t know that that would happen. How could I when I wasn’t watching?”

The stubborn part of me still adamantly believed that he was wrong and cruel and so infuriating, but my more reasonable mind was bending to his side, willing me to see what he had seen.

“I didn’t mean for her to die.” Alex whispered, his face skyward to a dark night, his eyes far away from this time.

I could see that he was reliving that time and it broke me up inside because I had witnessed it again a few hours ago. No one should have ever had to live through that, not even the one who had unknowingly caused it.

“But she did.” The bite in my tone shocked even me, my breath catching in my throat at the harshness in the words themselves. My mouth shut with an audible click as my teeth snapped together, preventing further word spillage for a second. “Lucy did die, and it hurt everyone around her, and continues to every day that she’s gone.” I couldn’t believe that I had the guts to speak my subconscious thoughts, but they flowed from my mouth as easily as any words ever had. “And it’s your fault.” The strength in my voice petered out, leaving them a strangled whisper as Alex’s wide eyes snapped down to catch my unwavering stare.

The guilt and pain in his eyes was enough to make me want to go back on my word, but what I had said was true, and I couldn’t just forgive him like that. He had ended my life. Just because he hadn’t meant to do it, it didn’t mean that it hadn’t been wrong and destructive. Alex had to see that.

“You destroyed a family and then went on and pretended it never happened.”

“I-” Alex’s voice was raw, and his face was pale with shock, “I’m sorry.”

I shook my head, ignoring the lump in my throat that was growing by the second. “How can you just be sorry?” The disbelief that had been rising in my chest revealed itself, desperate to relay to Alex just how wronged I felt.

Alex said nothing, but leaned against his car more heavily, like it was the only thing still holding him up. “That’s all I can say.”

I stared at him, my body shaking with exhaustion of the mental and physical variations. Lucy’s death- my death had caught up with me. Everything crashed into me, a wave dragging me under, into the depths of swirling emotion.

Alex watched me, as I had watched him, but instead of keeping us separate, he took me in his arms and held me to him.

“She had a little sister, you took her away from a family.” I breathed shakily into his chest, my hands clenched into fists. “You took away my mother’s peace of mind.”

I didn’t notice that my shoulders were heaving with sobs of anger and deep wretchedness. Alex was silent as I blamed him, each accusation hitting his soul with painful accuracy. I cried until I ran out of tears to cry and energy to cry them. Still, Alex was there when I was done, and though I refused to forgive him, he walked me to my apartment, despite the fact that I wouldn’t look at him or speak.

I closed the door behind me with a stiff nod as his only acknowledgment and collapsed on the couch in the living room. Curling up in a ball, with my knees tucked up to my chest, I let the last of my shaking sobs subside.

The last of my hiccups and sniffles faded away, leaving an unbearable silence in the light room. Even though sunrise was a couple of hours away, I left the lights on because the dark no longer felt safe or comforting. I slipped my earphones into my ears and pressed play, letting soothing notes fill the silence that plagued me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

954 126 22
The story revolves around a young girl who is struggling to determine her life's goal after facing a traumatic incident in her past. She has lost all...
13.3K 1.2K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist Astrid, the Princess of Eurovea, a country existing several centuries in the future, had led a happy and sheltered life in the ca...
6.8K 4.7K 12
"She's my girl." "She's my love." "She makes me smile." "She always makes my day." "She's perfect." "She's my everything." "She's my inspiration." "...
8.5K 104 28
𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐥𝐞𝐟𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤. ~ Four years ago, Evelyn was pushed...