When the Snow Melts

Por OpalRainDragon

[COMPLETE] How can love blossom in the midst of hatred? How can it catch you so suddenly and unexpectedly? Dr... Más

Prologue
Life Isn't Fair
An Unexpected Truce
Of Misguided Fools
A Cupboard?!
The Unsettling Quidditch Match
Of Pain and Tears
In Denial
Captured
Tortured
Riverwalk
Cold
Sick
The Diagnosis
Recovery
Lost and Found
Christmas or Something Like It
The Tears that Weren't Shed
For the Love of Heights
Hot and Cold
The Golden Trio Once More
It's a Hard Knock Life
Dream a Little Dream
Love Me, Hate Me
Swingers Welcome
Et tu?
Quidditch Champion
Kicking Anthills
I Drew This
The Conflicted Heart
A Good Hug Will Fix Everything
What's With All These Butterflies
Vanished
Innocence Lost
No Time for Love
What Do We Need Witnesses For?
The Hand Job
But We Have the Same Equipment!
Rubber Ducky, You're the One
We Can't Always Get What We Want
On Earth As It Is in Heaven
Like A Virgin
The Promise
Two Puzzle Pieces
Waiting on a Miracle
You're Hopeless
A Proper Education
Trouble in Paradise
Unexpected Company
Broken
Misery
I Need a Hero
A True and Loyal Friend
Forever
Author's Thoughts
Update
Beyond Hope
Unyielding
Desperate Measures
The Best Laid Plans
The End

Another Shooting Star

3.3K 170 50
Por OpalRainDragon

Draco was sinking further into murky water, his pale blond head swallowed up by the darkness. No matter how frantically Harry swam to reach him, the distance between them kept increasing. His lungs were protesting, begging him to take a breath, his vision growing dark, his movements becoming sluggish and uncoordinated. Despite how much his tired body fought against him, he knew he couldn't stop, he had to keep pushing forward, had to save Draco.

He woke with a start, chest heaving as he took in as much air as he could manage. He turned to his side, needing the reassurance of Draco's warm body in his arms, but the space next to him was cold and empty. Dread trickled down his spine. He put his glasses on and scanned the room, panic nipping at his insides when he realized he was alone.

The Marauder's Map showed that Draco sitting atop the roof of the West Tower. Harry was torn - he wanted the comfort of Draco's strong arms, but it was clear that Draco needed his space. The fallout from the night before had hit them both hard. Draco seemed terrified to even look at him. They slept, not snuggled up in each other's arms, but with an awkward amount of distance between them. It was driving Harry insane.

His face took on a determined expression as he finally made up his mind. It was time that he confronted Draco and they got everything out in the open. With broom in hand, he made his way to the West Tower.

Despite his tear-soaked face and disheveled hair, Draco looked startlingly beautiful in the moonlight. Harry felt an ache in his heart as he approached. When Draco caught sight of him, he quickly wiped the tears from his face and cleared his throat so that his voice would come out steady.

"What do you want?" he grumbled, wounding Harry to the very core of his being. They were back to this, to not even being friends.

Harry landed on the roof and took a tentative step towards the boy. "I had a bad dream...and you were gone."

Draco studied him with mistrustful eyes. "I can't do this," he whispered.

Harry felt hot tears prick his eyes, his heart bleeding out in his chest as he began to sob. "Please," he begged. "I won't let it happen again. I'll keep better control of myself."

Draco had resumed crying, shaking his head against Harry's words. "It's not that," he cried. "It's - it's - everything just got so real. The connection - the prophecy - everything. I can't deal with it right now. I need some space."

With every fiber of his being, he desperately wanted to hold and be held by Draco. Nothing in his life had hurt worse than having to resist that urge.

"Okay," he whispered in defeat.

He stepped off the roof, the rush of cold night air making him grow comfortably numb as he plummeted, straddling his broom at the last possible second before taking off across the grounds towards the Forbidden Forest. He flew in low over the treetops, screaming his agony into the howling winds, tears burning across his face.

His scar prickled and then exploded with pain which tore through him, his mind reeling and uncomprehending, his vision obscured. He crashed into a tree, the impact causing him to fall off his broom and plummet into the forest below, striking several branches on his way down. He was only vaguely aware, lost in the vision that Voldemort wished him to see.

<<<<<    >>>>>

Lucius Malfoy was writhing in pain on the floor, his shoulder very obviously dislocated.

"Your son is sleeping with the enemy," he hissed. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Narcissa cried out, "Please, stop this! He's not our son anymore."

He backhanded her, sending her sprawling across the cobblestone. "Stay out of this you wretched woman," he snarled. "I'll deal with you in a minute."

He released the spell on Lucius, waiting impatiently for the man to collect himself and provide him with an answer. Lucius pushed himself up into a sitting position, spitting blood out of his mouth with a distasteful expression on his face.

"It is as my wife has said," Lucius stated, his voice slightly breathy from the pain. "We discovered his unnatural perversion and disowned him. You may do with him as you see fit."

Narcissa gave a terrified little squeak, her eyes filling with tears.

Harry struck solid ground, reality slamming into him as his head swam, lost to the pain he felt throughout his body. He tried to assess the damage, but his thoughts were wandering and incoherent. The stars above him were disappearing into blackness as he lost consciousness.

<<<<<    >>>>>

Harry was not at breakfast the next morning. Draco wasn't too terribly surprised by his absence. It made sense that Harry would be avoiding him. He had caused the boy a great deal of pain.

When lunch time came and Harry still hadn't appeared, he started to feel a bit guilty. He didn't want Harry gone from his life, he just needed to come to terms with everything. It was hard to look at him knowing their relationship was doomed to heartache. No amount of love could make that reality any less painful.

Granger boldly sat herself down in front of him, surprising several of the Slytherins, himself included. He squirmed a bit under the intensity of her stare.

"Where are you keeping him?" she questioned darkly.

Draco was thrown off guard by that question, his heart skipping a beat in his surprise. He had been certain that the first thing Harry would have done would be to return to his friends for comfort. If he wasn't with them, then where?

"I'm not keeping him anywhere," he snarled back, but he was growing slightly fearful now, his heart fluttering a bit at the ramifications of her statement.

They glared at one another for a while before Granger stood and stormed back to the Gryffindor table to have a very animated conversation with her boyfriend.

A slow trickle of dread began to settle in the pit of his stomach as he tried to remember everything he could about last night. Harry had stepped off the roof, free-falling like some crazed adrenaline junkie before taking off in the direction of the Forbidden Forest. Draco had assumed that he needed to burn off some steam, but what if something had happened? What if he never made it back?

Draco found he wasn't very hungry anymore. He tore through the castle and its grounds, searching out all of Harry's usual haunting grounds, hoping the boy was lurking somewhere safe, but Harry was nowhere to be found. There was no use in avoiding the truth any longer; Harry had to be somewhere in the Forbidden Forest. Why was it always that damned forest?

He couldn't very well go looking for the boy on his own; he didn't even know where to start. It seemed inevitable that he would have to ask for help, he just resented the fact that it had to be his help. Professor Hagrid and his slobbering mutt were always the ones to find students who had got themselves lost in the Forbidden Forest. For Harry's sake and to quiet the wild beating of his heart, he would swallow his pride.

The giant was standing outside his hut, getting things prepared for the first lesson of the day. There wasn't any time to waste, so Draco just cut to the chase, his words running together in a great big rush. "Harry's in trouble. We had a fight last night and he flew off towards the Forbidden Forest and no one has seen him since."

The Professor just stood there dumbfounded as his words sunk in. "Harry's in trouble?" he questioned in confusion, snatching on to the one thing that made any sense.

"Yes," Draco growled in irritation, a sense of urgency making him restless with worry. "Somewhere in the Forbidden Forest."

He startled, his eyes growing wide with panic as he dropped the lesson materials he had been setting up and whistled for Fang. He grabbed the great big beast by his face, peering into his eyes. "Find Harry," he commanded before letting him go. The dog took off at a run, Professor Hagrid following close behind. Draco had never run so hard in his life, his lungs burning with the effort, his legs cramping and protesting. It was only his panic that kept him moving forward. If something happened to him... he couldn't shake the image of Harry's tear-soaked face as he stepped off the roof. He didn't want that to be his last image of the boy alive.

Fang's baleful howl echoed through the forest. Draco's heart beat a bit faster as he charged towards the sound, oblivious to the branches clawing at his clothes and face. The first thing he saw was blood, lots of it, and then Harry's pale face, eyes staring up unseeing into the clouds above. Draco stood frozen in shock, his mind and body refusing to function.

"He's still breathing," the giant assured him, lifting the boy into his arms. "But just barely. We need to hurry."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.8K 38 9
Harry Potter is an Auror. He and his boyfriend, Draco Malfoy, live together. Harry gets injured on the job, and Draco is not handling it very well. H...
1M 41.5K 34
{Their Family book 1} Harry Potter works as Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts, but while picking Teddy up from the Primary Wizar...
5.6K 217 24
•DRARRY STORY• ... -this story begins in 3rd year (The prisoner of Azkaban) 🐺🐀 ... Draco and Harry have hated one other since first year. But when...
216K 9.8K 34
The war just ended, and the world has been saved. But Draco Malfoy and his family are now facing trial, and Harry has to wonder whether he should rev...