Hades' Ballerina

By Aliciacarter2002

"You're...Hades. The King of the Underworld." Alina Knight is an upcoming ballet soloist with the American Ba... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 24

3.7K 104 13
By Aliciacarter2002

Alina stared at her reflection in the large mirror which was trimmed with white and gold detailing. The reflection looked like a painting; in the background the beautifully designed guest room looked heavenly, and with Alina standing right in the middle, she blended right in. The dress she wore was nothing short of what she expected; creamy white and angelic. And barely covering her chest. Small bits of fabric clung to her skin enough for her breasts to be covered, but the sheer material left nothing short for the imagination. Oh, she remembered how Ares had talked to her that night, and how he eyed her body in the lounge. Apollo even said that sex was something that the gods reveled in, even more than humans, because of how they magic reacts. She was surprised that the dress had any material at all, but she wouldn't be surprised either if she showed up to the party overdressed compared to the other guests.

It was a beautiful dress, she couldn't deny, but a small part of her missed the rich and vivid taste of the Underworld. She nearly scoffed at herself. She missed the Underworld. There was no denying that either.

No matter how warm the air, no matter how close Apollo came, she still felt cold. A deep part of her felt hollow in his absence—the intensity of his presence. It was something she realized while staring at the mirror for five minutes now. It was something she realized while finally being alone with herself; with her thoughts and the quietness.

A soft knock at the door drew Alina out of that deep part of herself. She walked over to it, the soft flowing fabric of her dress brushing the white wooden floor.

She opened it and peeked out. Apollo stood politely outside, his hands behind him and his shoulders back. He really did look like a Disney prince; his honey blonde curly hair combed neatly into waves, his creamy gold tunic fitted elegantly along his toned frame, and a fine golden cloak flowing from his shoulders.

"Ready?" A flash of perfect teeth eased Alina's clenching stomach slightly.

She breathed in deeply, glancing down at her dress. She shrugged. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Apollo eyed her, a soft smirk playing at the corners of his mouth. "You look divine, Alina."

Heat rose in her cheeks and she smiled nervously. She didn't feel divine. She felt like an exploding ball of nerves. Going to a party full of immortals? Immortals that she only knew existed till seven weeks ago? Great. Just great.

But here she was, going to an the Olympian party hosted by the goddess of love with Apollo at her side.

He extended his arm to her. "Shall we?"

——————————

"Why do parties here start so early?" Alina asked as they walked down the marble path. In the distance hanging off the side of a ledge stood a marvelous marble palace. Aphrodite's, Apollo had informed her.

"Because we party for as long as we can." He glanced slowly over at her, a devious grin on his mouth.

She raised her brows.

"I'm just kidding," he said, and then pointed to the horizon line. "The sunset is earlier in Olympus. Therefore, parties are earlier."

Alina hadn't noticed but the sun was setting, and it was only five o'clock. The beautiful white clouds that hung beneath the mountain turned a light pink.

"It's beautiful," she murmured, staring at the fluffy rose colored waves.

"Just wait till a little later, it gets even better."

The palace was getting closer, and with it, the sounds of an already throughly started party arose as well. The air was moist and warm, making her hair curl slightly and her cheeks flush. Each step they took nearing Aphrodite's palace the colors in the clouds seemed to become darker and richer, creating purples and blues swirled in the sky. The palace itself was made from an opalescent stone; almost as if it were the pearl that Aphrodite had risen from itself. Large balconies full of people hung off the sides.

"Wow," said Alina as they stopped in front of the open gates.

The entrance itself was lined with gardens along a marble stone walkway, which glowed in the soft hue of the sunset.

Despite the warm temperature, Alina found herself crossing her arms over her chest, self conscious about her dress. She was still holding Apollo's arm and drew closer to him as they entered the party.

There was no host waiting at the front door. In fact, there wasn't even a front door, just a beautiful archway that lead into a dazzling large room. The room itself was made of the same opal stone as the exterior. Golden light seeped in through the opposite wall from which they came from--because there was no wall. Alina tried not to shiver at the fact that the room had no wall between the party and the edge of the mountain ledge. But the way the sunset made the opalescent stone room glow from the inside... Alina could see why Aphrodite had made it that way.

The room was overwhelmingly crowded with guests. Everything looked out of a fantasy or a dream. Each of the guests moved with inhuman grace and held as much elegance as high royalty. Not surprisingly, women were just as skimpily dressed as Alina, though the males were dress in attire similar to Apollo's. Everyone was spectacularly beautiful, even if some had an odd trait like light blue skin or a lion's tail. Alina tried not to stare at them too much by averting her eyes to the floor.

Soft music played in the background of chatter and melodic laughter, the music a strange mix between an ancient and futuristic melody. The entire scene was otherworldly. Even though the party was relatively normal with people, music, and drinks, there was an element that made Alina feel utterly out of place. Bellydancers in rose and gold attire danced on small tables. Silk drapes hung from the golden ceiling, creating a sultry and alluring aesthetic.

She felt like an alien on another planet, and it didn't help that some of the guests would turn and observe Alina as she and Apollo walked through the crowd. Alina, to her relief, hadn't seen Hera or Ares in the faces of the crowd, nor did she recognize anyone.

"So why are we here, Apollo?" She leaned into Apollo to avoid any prying ears. "Just to have fun?"

He smirked. "No. I wish. I have to talk to a friend of mine. Business regarding Atropos."

He continued to lead her through the crowd towards the side with no wall. The sunset was so low that she could not see the sun anymore, but she couldn't really see the anything over the crowd.

Her stomach clenched ever so slightly. "Oh. Am I going to come with you?" Alina didn't want to think about being alone in a party like this...dressed like this.

He gave her an apologetic look. "No--I'm sorry. I don't want to leave you again but my friend is...well, you just don't want to meet him."

She wasn't sure if she should feel relieved or terrified by that news.

He continued, "But I'm not going to leave you alone, don't worry." He looked back over his shoulder at her as they continued to walk. Where are we going? She wondered. It seemed like the crowd of dancing and drinking immortals never ended. The music was getting louder, and she assumed they were nearing the band. "She's right over here."

"What do you mean? With who?"

But before he could answer, they suddenly broke through the crowd. In front of them was a dais that stood right in front of the daunting edge. The dais itself was made of rose gold and white silk cushions. The sunset, that was now a swirl of blues, purples, and pinks, hung right behind it along with the never-ending line of fluffy pink clouds.

And sitting right on top of the dais was Aphrodite.

Alina knew it from the moment she lay her eyes on the woman that lounged like a sphinx atop the white cushions. Beautiful, attractive, stunning-- those words were the weakest words Alina could describe this woman as. There were no words to explain the beauty of this woman. There was no song, no poem, no fairytale. There was nothing but seeing her with your own eyes to understand that she was beauty's incarnate. No--no, she was beauty.

All that was beautiful must have derived from her. It was just---

"Alina."

She blinked.

Alina realized she had been staring at the women on the throne while Apollo was talking. She tore her eyes off the strawberry blonde to look at Apollo. It was an effort, to say the least.

They stood a good ten feet away from the goddess perched atop her golden throne, but Alina couldn't bring herself to take another step. Alina squeezed the hand that was clutching Apollo's arm in an effort to convey the message: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I CAN'T BE BABYSITTED BY HER.

Apollo began to walk towards the throne, with a reluctant Alina in tow. Her gaze had been averted to the ground, but she hesitantly lifted it back up to meet Aphrodite's stare.

Her eyes held no one color. They were golden; but held a gleam that contained an entire rainbow. Her hair-- a strawberry blonde that looked more like rose gold-- fell elegantly in soft waves to her hipbones. The color matched perfectly to the exact aesthetic of the party and the sunset. Alina wondered if she made her appearance this way just to match this exact moment at the party. Her face was an exquisite mix of feminine and devilish, like a woman who could be a mother and your greatest sin at the same time. Her face was a mask of emotion, but not like Hades' mask of indifference. It was an expression that you could think was interest in one moment, but then look again and swear was utter boredom.

Strangely, Alina was surprised to find herself not jealous of the goddess's perfection. Instead, Alina's weariness of her was more overwhelming than anything. She had been wary of any immortal since the last time she met two of them they tried to slaughter her and succeeded in getting her tortured for a week. Alina wouldn't be fooled this time. Especially with a goddess such as one that controls love. Oh, such a wickedly perfect power to have control over. Alina bet Aphrodite uses that gift for more than just positivity.

They stopped at the foot of the dais. Apollo inclined his head slightly, a small but dashing smile on his lips.

"Aphrodite."

The goddess smiled like a cat--a breathtaking cat, that is-- and then lifted up from laying on her side. The sheer, shimmering gold dress she wore glimmered with her movement, like oil on water.

"Apollo, you cannot know how pleased I am that you came. I've missed you."

Alina barely saw that Aphrodite had gotten up from her dais and walked down to them; her movement so fluid and ethereal, the low sunset light shimmering of her dress. The dress was so sheer that it looked like her skin itself; like a slick coating of oil that somehow flared at her thighs.

She glided up to Apollo, and with it, a wave of an intoxicating sensation hit Alina in the chest. She gave a stifled gasp. Alina automatically felt a rush of warm tingling, along with a tipsy urge to go and do something very naughty. Alina breathed out and struggled to suppress the impulse.

The surge of power just by Aphrodite's movement was enough to tell Alina how powerful she was. Nowhere as powerful as Hades--no, but enough that she could be very dangerous if crossed.

Aphrodite wrapped an arm around Apollo with one smooth movement, Alina still holding his arm. Apollo looked down at Aphrodite with an amused look. Alina just stared in shock and confusion.

By the way she was draped on Apollo shoulder, Alina wondered what their past and current relationship is.

"Now is not the time for a reunion, unfortunately. I have to meet Eris soon," he spoke calmly.

"Does this have to do with that bitch Atropos again?" Aphrodite suddenly cut in.

"Unfortunate, isn't it?"

She sighed. "Can someone just cut off her head already?"

Alina stiffened at her casually thrown words, but it was nice that someone else hated Atropos as much as she did. She wondered what made Aphrodite loathe her so much.

"I was hoping you would entertain yourself with Alina here," Apollo said, changing the subject.

Alina gave him an incredulous look. 'Entertain yourself with Alina'?!

Aphrodite turned her head to Alina with a slow, devilish smile. Alina stiffened under her chrome colored gaze.

"Too bad you can stay and join the fun," she replied to Apollo, though she just eyed Alina like a cat with a mouse. She shrugged. "But I guess she'll do."

She suddenly undraped herself off Apollo and swiftly wrapped her arm around Alina's waist. Alina tried not to yank away, but as soon as Aphrodite touched her skin, she automatically relaxed.

Stupid immortal magic. You're going to be the end of me.

"Oh, we're going to have a lot of fun," Aphrodite mused.

Without notice, he began leading Alina towards the dais and up the small steps, away from Apollo. Alina shuffled her feet reluctantly, but Aphrodite was far too strong and her grip didn't budge. Alina looked back to Apollo with a pleading look. He just mouthed "sorry" with an infuriating wink and grin, then turned and vanished into the crowd. Alina scowled.

Aphrodite lead her to the cushions and lounge chair which she now noticed turned dark purple and glittering black. In fact, Alina suddenly noticed that the sun had set, and that millions of lights filled the dark blue night sky. Aphrodite sat her down and then released her grip.

"So, Alina." Aphrodite sat next to her. "Welcome to Olympus."

Alina scoffed, then looked back to Aphrodite. She nearly shrieked. It wasn't Aphrodite--no, it was her but... different. Her face structure and slender body were still the same, but her hair had turned jet black and slick straight. Her skin was now tanned and her eyes now a galaxy of blues. Her dress, still the silky oil-like material, but now a blue-black, glittering with flecks of silver.

"Don't fret, it's still me," Aphrodite laughed. "I change depending on the seasons, the time of day, or even where I am in the world. I'm nearly a new person every day."

"Why?" Alina said in confusion, still a little in shock by the dramatic change.

Aphrodite sighed and leaned back on the dais. "I am the representation of beauty." Her tone held a hint of smugness. "Beauty is an aspect derived from nature. Mother Gaia created all of us, and therefore, I am a branch of her. A branch of nature. I change because nature changes."

"Oh." Alina nodded. It actually made perfect sense. Aphrodite did indeed match perfectly to the night sky. "Wow."

Aphrodite smirked. "Now, onto more exciting matters." Her smirk turning into a full-on grin, teeth bearing and all. Alina hated how beautiful and terrifying she was at once. One flash of that smile and she could win over a country. "You and Apollo?"

Alina's breath caught. "O-oh. Um, yea I guess so--"

"Wrong answer, honey."

Alina blinked. "What?"

Aphrodite rolled her eyes. "I am the goddess of love. You can't lie to me about your love life."

She shook her head, though her heart started to beat frantically. Why did she feel guilty? This must be some sort of trick by Aphrodite. "Apollo and I came here together."

"Yes." A fruit platter suddenly appeared on a small table before them and Aphrodite popped a grape into her mouth. "But that doesn't meant that you want to be with him."

"I don't understand."

"Yes, you do," Aphrodite stated. The words rung deep within Alina. She shifted uncomfortably on her seat.

She continued. "You don't want Apollo. You want him."

Alina's mouth dropped. "I d-don't know what you're talking about," she studdered, causing Aphrodite's cat-like grin to return.

She sighed. "Stop lying, Alina."

Her heart beat against her rib cage, but she regained herself, her face a mask of ignorance. "So who is Eris?"

Aphrodite stared at her for a moment with an amused but equally unreadable expression. "She is the goddess of chaos. Delightful, truly."

Alina raised her brows. "And why is Apollo meeting with her?"

"Oh, probably to get information about Atropos and her idiotic plan to take over the Underworld by force. I mean, come on, how can one be so stupid to believe that one can go to war with Hades? Her army of shadows with never defeat Hades' legions." She rolled her eyes and popped another grape into her mouth.

"Wait...what?" Aphrodite's words struck Alina like a blow to the head. Her eyes drew wide, panicked. "A-are you saying that they are in war? Right now?"

Aphrodite frowned. "Well, that's what I heard. And news always travelled fast here, so I doubt it was false."

Alina's breathing became short and quick. Hades and Atropos were in war. Right now. Possibly in the Underworld. She suddenly remembered seeing Captian Dorian in fighting armor. And Hades... oh gods. He sent her away. She was meant to defeat Atropos; destined to defeat her.

Alina stood straight up, looking frantically around the crowd below for Apollo. She hadn't seen him since he disappeared, though that was only ten minutes ago.

"I-I have to go," Alina said shakily. Hades was fighting Atropos himself. Legions or not, Atropos was ruthless. "Where's Apollo?"

Aphrodite looked unfazed as she rolled onto her back on the cushions. "Alina, why are you worrying?" Her voice held mockery, however, like she knew exactly why Alina was worrying.

Alina clenched her fist and turned back to Aphrodite. "Hades is fighting the goddess of death, who I am destined to defeat," she said, her tone clipped. "I need to go back. Back to the Underworld."

She clicked her tongue. "And how do you plan to do that? Hades won't let you in. My little birds tell me you've been kicked out," Aphrodite drawled.

"I don't know! Apollo wou--" Alina ground her teeth together. "Apollo knew this whole time, didn't he? That Hades had gone to war with Atropos."

Aphrodite gave a heavy sigh and shrugged. "It would seem you beloved Apollo isn't the honest one is he? Well, I guess neither is your Hades." She grinned. "But how romantic? Two immortals at your beckon call? A mortal's beckon call! That's a story I haven't heard for a long, long time." She laughed like Alina's life was a comedy show and ate another grape.

Gods, why did she ever leave the Underworld? She would have fought Hades when he asked her to leave. She should have seen or noticed that maybe... maybe he was sending her away to protect her. Alina wished that was the true reason. But maybe he truly did not want her there anymore.

That didn't matter. Rage swelled in Alina's chest. Apollo had lied to her, had swept her away to party and laugh atop Mount Olympus while a war was raging down below. Hades had lied to her. And Alina had just followed along, not questioning any of it. She was mad at herself even more than she was towards the both of them.

Alina narrowed her eyes at Aphrodite and her smug grin before turning on her heel to stalk down into the crowd, but stopped short by the figure in front of her. A young man, a boy around sixteen, with curling brownish red hair stood in front of her. Alina stared up at him for a moment, taking him in. His soft, playful features complimented his warm doe eyes, which observed Alina with keen interest. The feature that struck Alina the hardest was the soft magic that wafted off him. A god, she knew right away. But which?

"Oh you haven't met Alina yet!" Aphrodite chimed behind them. She swiftly rounded into view beside them. "Alina meet Hermes."

Alina blinked and cleared her throat. "Oh, um, hello," she held out her hand, "its nice to meet you."

Hermes half smiled, the boyish dimples showing. He looked so young. Like he had just hit puberty, although he was unmistakably adorable and handsome. "You too!" He took Alina's hand, but instead turned it downwards, bent down, and gave a quick peck. The small peck gave a shot of jumpy, energetic energy, making Alina feel although she could sprint for miles.

Alina almost stiffened in surprise, but instead plastered a smile on her face.

Aphrodite tossed her slick black hair over her shoulder and crossed her arms, looking at Hermes with an expectant look. "So?"

Alina didn't understand what she meant, but Hermes spoke, "He wants to see her." Aphrodite gave an irritated sigh. "You knew that he would be curious sooner or later."

Aline realized that he was, of course, delivering a message; one god to the other. But from whom? She wondered. A small fear arose when she realized that Hermes meant her, as in, a god wants to see her.

"Who?" She barked before she could stop herself.

Hermes looked at her and then back at the annoyed looking Aphrodite.

"Zeus."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119 37 37
One choice. One fall. One life changed forever. After the Goddess Athena gets cast down from Mount Olympus, she is left with no memory of being a God...
297K 9.8K 42
"V&L" read our initials. So delicately carved into a now surely dead Henry's plum-colored flesh. His glazed eyes continue to stare in my direction-Th...
31 0 27
Every century, the gods and goddesses' firstborns enter the Final Round, vying for a coveted spot among the Reigning Five. Evangelina, daughter of Ha...
38.7K 1.1K 39
Completed: (1/3/19) "Any questions you would like to ask me?" As soon as Mr.Conrad said that mostly all the girls' hands shot up and a few boys. "Ye...