Escaping Duty

By Sayonara_A

After encountering something of myths one day after work, Valentina begins questioning her once mundane world... More

Chapter 1 Pt. 1
Chapter 1 Pt. 2
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Authors Note

Chapter 34

14 2 2
By Sayonara_A

"Omega squad has gone in and has managed to bring down a few wolves while sustaining minimal damage. Yes, thank you; you're fine to pull back now and reload. The real plan begins now," Lara said into a Bluetooth on her ear.

Valentina watched as her mother and father both nodded to the group of 10 hunters spread out behind them. When they had arrived at the forest she had seen no end to the number of hunters gathered in front of the trees. They were positioned at intervals along the perimeter of the forest, and all of them very much armed.

Valentina had felt sick to her stomach hearing the sounds of wolves howling in pain. She wanted revenge herself on some wolves, but this was not the way it should be handled.

"Why am I here?" She hissed through clenched teeth, attempting to pull her arms from the two hunters holding her. They didn't need to hold her since her arms were tied, and she couldn't get very far with her limp either way.

Her mother turned towards her, face impassive but dark eyes glaring. She put the phone they had been using to communicate within her father's hand without another word. Ever since the club, Valentina's father had refused to look at her.

"You're here to learn about what we as hunters really do in action. You will also finally see the real danger these wolves pose," she said monotone.

"This is a trap and a distraction. I thought hunters fought with honor?"

"You want to see honor hija? Then you will once you see how many people thank us for riding this world of them." Her mother explained then looked to her right as Markos approached.

She saw her mother glare at Markos but nodded when he said he had news to give.

"Team Delta has set up the bombs every 5 miles, and they're ready when you are to set off the gas," he told Lara who nodded.

Valentina had been held there when they first set up their secret weapon and explained it. Cole had been right about the hunters using a biological weapon. The hunters planned to lower the wolves numbers by first fighting them and killing any that attempting to escape. Once their numbers dwindled the hunters would place pressurized bombs in the ground at the edge of the trees.

They would then release a toxic gas meant to attack the werewolves vital system, disintegrating them from the inside out. Even if they ran touching one of the sensors would only set off the toxic element earlier. It was sickening to hear the damage it'd do and Valentina could only hope that wolves like Mason and the female from earlier weren't in there now fighting.

"Team Foxtrot is asking for confirmation on the route," David said. Lara nodded, walking a little way with him and leaving Valentina with Markos.

Markos looked at the two hunters on her arms and they let go joining the other hunters at their position. Valentina took one look at Markos and turned to run, but only made it a few feet before she heard a bullet hit the dirt next to her. She knew it was dumb but she had at least wanted to try. The corner of Markos' lip turned up the slightest as he approached her, fingering a curl that had escaped her braid.

"You might've fooled your parents but you never once fooled me. That wolf from when I first encountered you, the one that almost ripped off my arm; is in there. I saw it when I went inside. I hope it dies even more painfully than all the others, for protecting you," Markos said.

Valentina did the only thing she could think off which was to spit in the mans face at that comment. She wouldn't believe his lies.

"I don't know why you hate me so much, but I hope my parents see you for who you really are. Some sociopath hell-bent on killing," she spat.

Markos studied her face only looking entertained by their interaction, "Do you want to know why I hate you so much?"

"Not really."

The hard set of his jaw was the only thing that told Valentina she was getting under his skin. Good, she thought.

"You remind me of my daughter, she used to think the wolves could be reasoned with. A pathetic sympathizer although she was 17 so younger than you. Do you know what her care for the wolves got her? The wolf she cared so much to protect tortured her blinded with its bloodlust. It tore her limb from limb, eating her alive while she screamed. Then it ate heart and organs and left the rest of her body on my doorstep for me to discover. "

"That is why I kill the very wolves you protect. that wolf was an Alpha I learned later on as a hunter, so I gave the hunters the idea to attack alphas or destroy their pack. The Alpha would lose its family the same way I lost my only child," Markos explained leaning close.

While she wanted to back away from him she felt frozen and her limbs wouldn't answer her pleas to move. She didn't know if he was telling the truth but if it wasn't then that was no way to discover your child's body. She wanted to defend the wolves.

She wanted to say they all shouldn't be blamed but the look in his eye challenged her to defend them. So he could take out whatever feeling he had for his daughter on her. Valentina knew Mason wouldn't do that but she didn't know about the others. Finally, she took a step back and avoided looking at Markos' face. He wanted a reaction out of her.

"Lara and David want to step down as leaders and had hoped hey could groom the next leader. But I don't think you're qualified for that role. I'd much rather have that for myself so the extermination happening here today could happen everywhere." Markos explained taking a few steps back from Valentina.

"You don't mean-," Valentina started to ask her heart jumping.

She tugged against the ropes on her wrist although she knew they'd hold and wouldn't let up. Markos wouldn't dare do that to his friend's daughter she thought.

"Markos what are you doing? You're leading the Theta squad inside and we only have a few more minute before the Sumners set up the machine. And you two did I tell you to let her go?" Lara asked walking back over to them meaning business.

Valentina's father wasn't with them but she could believe that he was somewhere else leading a group. Her parents were the ones who had organized this after all. It wasn't all bad, the wolves who attacked her, Phoebe and Mateo could be getting what they deserve. That's what she wanted to convinces herself of but even that didn't seem true.

The two hunters returned to her side, while her mother only spared her one more glance before returning to giving orders. Markos looked at Valentina with that half grin again then winked, disappearing into the trees.

Markos had no reason to lie than to scare her but she doubted that was his motive. If Mason really was in there then she needed to let him know what was going to happen.

"Do you hear that?" Valentina heard one of her guards whisper to the other.

"Shut up before you make us both look bad, its bad enough we're stuck guarding some girl," the other snapped.

Gee, it wasn't like she wanted to be held captive. She looked behind her to see both guards had drawn their weapons. Listening Valentina didn't hear anything at first but the other hunters had fallen quiet drawing their guns. Even Valentina's mother withdrew her own nodding to Valentina's captors.

"Move her to another post," Lara said. They nodded, pulling Valentina along but stopped when a low growl came from within the trees.

"Impossible, it shouldn't have been able to get so close. Everyone get ready to fire." Lara said and guns rose, pointing into the forest as the growling got closer.

Valentina's guards continued trying to drag her along, but she planted her feet and tried the best she could to wiggle out of their grasps. If she wanted to get away, now would be the time while they were distracted. She threw her weight into one guard and kicked out with her opposite foot hitting the other in the jewels.

"Son of a -," he cursed letting her go and leaving her with only one guard holding her.

"What's going on back there?" Lara asked as the hunters tried pinpointing the location of the growl. Sickening pops and cracks filled the air, the only sound in the tense silence.

Valentina struggled to break free of her restraints and the guard. She noticed the guard go rigid eyes straight towards the trees and she followed. They saw the bright eyes of a wolf appear peeking through the trees, and the hunters began shooting wildly. Using the hunter's distraction Valentina used her height to jump up and hit the hunters chin with her head. The pain made her hiss but he released her and she stumbled backward away from him.

Out the corner of her eyes, she saw another figure dressed in dark clothing approach her. She sidestepped them, thinking they were another hunter but they walked past her running at her previous guard and punching him in the jaw. As she tried her best to job away she last saw the new figure send a roundhouse kick to the hunters making him hit the ground.

Once they were done the hunter they turned in her direction and she was surprised to see a familiar face. He held a finger to his lips and gestured for her to keep moving. nodding she did as he said cursing how her limp sent shooting pains through her leg, but she needed to get away from the hunters.

"Keep going a few more miles. We cleared a few hunters from that area, and if we stand inside the trees they won't be able to see us." Valentina heard the man say right on her heels.

She followed him until they stood a good distance away from the hunters unseen. From their positions, the hunters wouldn't be able to see them unless they knew where to look. Even from this distance Valentina still heard the gunshots and growls that made her heart race.

"Sorry if she surprised you. We figured you'd need a distraction and she took it upon herself," he explained grabbing her tied up hands and bringing out a pocket knife, with which he began to cut her ropes.

"Why did you guys come back, after you escaped I thought you'd be gone," she asked him, flexing her fingers once he got the ropes off. He only shrugged the gesturing mirroring his nephew.

"Yasmin said she didn't feel right leaving you to fight against the hunters. Since you're weak and useless, her words by the way. But I came back because I needed to not only thank you but return the favor for you saving me."

"Roland it's risky and dumb that you both came back here. I don't want to be the reason you could die again, you've just recovered."

"Enough worrying about me, I know how to handle myself. Besides, that werewolf blood is one hell of a drug. Not only do I feel perfect, but I also feel a lot stronger and faster." Roland explained returning the knife to his pocket and withdrawing his own gun.

"Let's get out of here while Yasmin has them distracted," he added reaching for Valentina.

She avoided his grasp, "I'm not leaving, not yet anyway. My parents are the ones leading this mission and I need to stop it."

Roland looked at her confused then behind her and Valentina followed his gaze. She backed away when she saw a large tawny wolf behind them with bright grey eyes almost burning silver. Valentina wished she at least had some weapon to protect herself and noticed Roland only watching the animal unmoving.

"What are you doing standing there?" she asked him in a hushed voice.

"Relax, I was more than surprised myself but its just Yasmin. She doesn't want to leave, she wants to stop the hunters," Roland said looking at the wolf.

Valentina tried connecting the large wolf to the woman she saw before. She thought she could see it in the eyes and fur color. The wolf looked at her squinting its eyes and growling.

"I can't speak wolf but I'm sure that's her saying that is a dumb idea," Roland said crossing his arms.

"They plan to release a bioweapon that's designed to attack werewolves. Even if this is about revenge, I'm not leaving. You can smell it can't you? If Mason's in there?" Valentina asked looking at wolf Yasmin.

The wolf tilted its head then rose its face in the air. When Yasmin looked back down at her she nodded her head, and Valentina clenched her hands into a fist. Behind her, Roland walked up looking at Yasmin.

"He's in there with that weapon?" he asked looking between them both.

Valentina nodded knowing now that she couldn't leave, not when he didn't know what he was up against. Roland frowned and looked into the forest, clearly he didn't like that thought either.

"Mason can handle himself but..." he said not finishing his sentence.

Valentina looked from his worried expression back to Yasmin who watched her.

"I saw the way you looked at Mason that day, you care about him. I'm not trying to fight wolves as some kind of martyr. I know I'm human and have my limits but at least let me warn him; you could find him and take me there if needed, can't you?" she asked Yasmin who nodded.

"Valentina... if you go in there you need to be careful," Roland warned her.

He was only trying to make sure she was alright. She nodded as she turned to Yasmin who crouched low so that Valentina could try climbing on her back. When Yasmin stood Valentina looked at Roland one more time before they left.

"Thank you for coming back."

"No, thank you for being dumb enough to risk your life for him. When you get back let's do something about that machine," he said and she nodded.

On that note Valentina felt Yasmin bend, her muscles bunching under her fur. She poured on a burst of speed so fast Valentina had to lean forward and grip her coat tightly to avoid falling off.

Hopefully, she'd make it to Mason in time, they just needed enough time before the hunters set off the machine. She knew any minute now the hunters would be following them in for their final attack.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

415K 13.5K 35
"You threw me to the rogues, but you never expected me to lead them. You thought they'd eat me, but instead they bow before me." She backs up, seemin...
Hidden By Soph

Werewolf

894 57 12
[DISCONTINUED] **MATURE LANGUAGE AND CONTENT** **POSSIBLE TRIGGERS** WATTYS2018 I walk down the staircase, entranced with his sharp, angular feature...
630K 21.5K 51
I jumped to my feet and punched him in the side. There was hardly an effect. "You're weak" he spat, walking a step closer towards me. I growled as...
2M 83.8K 55
Scars... Some are worn on the outside and read like a book, others are hidden on the inside, unseen but shape every fabric of our being. Alpha Chris...