HIDDEN VOWS

By xorlaliopel

[Formerly titled Billion's Bride] [STATUS - EDITING] "I want a church wedding." "You want a church wedding?"... More

•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•
Preface
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
Bonus Chapter
•ɴᴏᴛᴇ•

Chapter 17

48.7K 2K 95
By xorlaliopel

Emery's thumping heart came to a standstill when Miles pulled up into an empty space in the hospital's parking lot. Although she had been checking up on her brother through Natalia's updates, it felt like ages since she last visited him.

In all honesty, she felt like the worst sister ever for not sitting by his bedside and tend to him. However, Clifford hospital held bad memories for her and staying there every day did not help her sanity.

“Hey.” Emery looked away from the doors to the emergency ward when a light tap sounded on the passenger side window.

With her mind caked with how to deliver the news to her brother, she had not noticed when Miles got out of the car.

“Thanks.” Emery mumbled when he opened her door for her.

She stepped out of the car and quickly braced herself against the cold evening breeze as it slapped against her face as if to tell her something unpleasant.

Pulling her denim jacket tighter around her body, she glanced up at the man beside her. He offered her a smile that was assuring.

They made their way into the health facility. The place was dominated by the usual chatter of health professionals and patrons. It was the strong scent of antiseptic and drugs that did not help Emery's nerves.

Miles might have caught onto her anxiousness because he slipped his fingers through hers and held onto her hand. Emery looked up at him with a soft smile and clutched onto his hand. She sighed.

“Do you want me to come in with you?” He asked when they turned the corridor leading to her brother's room.

Christopher had been taken into a private room for close monitoring, all thanks to the man beside her.

Yes was at the tip of Emery's tongue. She wanted him there with her—she needed the comfort and warmth his presence brought her.

Still, this was not the time to introduce her impromptu fiancé to her overly protective brother. Heck, she didn't even know if her brother was in any position to hold a conversation.

He was fine. Emery consoled herself.

She turned to Miles and said, “Thanks… I'd like to talk to him first though.”

Miles nodded. “I will be right here.” He pointed to the bench just a foot away from the door.

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, his warm smile not wavering for once. When his fingers slipped through hers to let go, Emery had to stop herself from holding onto them for a little longer.

But the knowledge that he was right there, in the same space with her, calmed her pounding heart.

Emery sighed heavily and dragged herself to the door. She stared hard at the waxed wood for a second as if it would tell her what was going on behind its hinges. Not even in her wildest dreams did such things happen so she did not hold her breath.

Emery grabbed the doorknob, her hold tightening on the cold metal before it could slip out of her sweaty palm. You've got this. She reminded herself before she turned the doorknob and stepped into the quiet room.

Natalia was the first to spot her. She pulled herself off her seat and met her halfway.

“I've been calling you,” Natalia whispered to Emery's ears alone.

“I'm sorry, my phone was on charge. How's he?” Emery muttered back at the same time trying to catch a glimpse of her brother over the doctor's shoulder.

“He kept asking but I didn't know how to tell him... Doctor Hanna wanted to wait for you but he was getting upset so she told him.” Natalia rambled.

Emery nodded as she rubbed her friend on the arm gently. Her brother already knew. She didn't have to be the bearer of such bad news but the relief that washed over her made her feel even guilty for not being there for him at a time like that.

“Is he…” The words seemed to be stuck in her throat. Emery swallowed hard. “I thought he was awake.” Her question was directed at the doctor who stood by her brother's bed.

Doctor Hanna gave her what looked like a sympathetic smile. “He was a while ago. But he tried to leave after we told him so we had to sedate him so that he wouldn't reopen his stitches.”

Emery nodded. She bypassed the doctor and perched on the chair by her brother's bed. She grabbed his IV free hand and gave it a light squeeze.

“I'll give you two a minute.” The doctor excused herself.

Emery heard the faint shut of the door twice and knew Natalia had also stepped out to give them some privacy.

“Hey you.” She rubbed the back of his hand gently. He looked so pained even in sleep that her heart ached. “I miss you so much.” Emery brushed a stray tear away.

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

Miles could hear her from where he stood in the hallway. It took everything in him not to barge into the room and pulled her into a hug. He stood behind the glass window helplessly as she sobbed beside her unconscious brother.

Now more than ever, the urge to protect her grew stronger. He had to keep her safe. He already felt like a failure for not safeguarding her enough. Now her name was even out in the media because of his misgivings. He had seen the comments— the threats and the hate.

He brought Anabel into their lives, thinking she was their ticket out of this mess. And she was to some extent— she got Chanel Preston off their backs. But Chanel did not go down without a fight. He broke his promise by involving her sister in their affairs and she broke hers by leaking his fiancée's name to the media.

This had gone too far. She deserves better.

Miles turned away from the window, unable to take it anymore. He sat back in his seat, his gaze hunted as the thought of it all began to dredge up memories. This felt all too familiar.

“How is she holding up?” Miles looked up when he heard Natalia's voice. “Emery said you don't take coffee so…” she held up one of the cups in the coffee cup holders she was carrying.

“Thank you.” Miles took the warm cup from her.

“I know you guys have a lot going on but… at least make sure she gets some rest. She could use that.”

Miles regarded her for a second. The bags under her eyes were even much worse than Emery's. She was concerned about her friend, he got that. So was he. Miles nodded and thanked her again for the hot chocolate. She knocked gently on Christopher's room and went inside.

Minutes later, the door opened. He stood up when he saw her. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying but she still managed a smile when she saw him. Without hesitation, Miles pulled her into his arms. She hugged him back instantly.

At that point, he would have moved heaven and earth to take her sorrows away.

“I spoke to Dr. Hanna earlier. She assures me he will be fine.” Miles whispered as he rubbed her back gently. “Just hang in there alright?” She nodded.

Emery stepped out of his arms when they heard footsteps approaching. She turned away briefly to dry her face with the back of her hand just as Dr. Hanna and another doctor joined them.

“Hi.” Dr. Hanna said to both of them. “This is Dr Omar Hasanza Christopher's appointed physiotherapist.” She pointed to the young man beside her. “He would like to go over a few details with you if you have the time.” She said to Emery.

Emery nodded. “Sure.” She glanced back at Miles and said, “I'll be right back?”

Miles nodded, his gaze fixed on the Abercrombie looking physiotherapist as he led Emery down the hall. Before they turned the corner, Miles could have sworn he put his hand on her back. Maybe to comfort her but that looked anything but professional to him.

“Don't worry Mr. Dekker. Dr. Hasanza is one of our best Physiotherapists. Christopher is in good hands.” Dr. Hanna said to him before going back into Christopher's room.

Of course, he was. If that was the only place Dr. Abercrombie's good hands were. Miles shook those thoughts off immediately. No way was he letting himself go there. This was not the place or time for him to act territorial. Protective not possessive. Miles reminded himself as he sat back down on his seat.

A few minutes after he relaxed back in his seat, he heard the faint slap of vans approaching. He knew it was her before he even looked up from his phone. That soothing scent of vanilla was always a dead giveaway.

She smiled his way. It was that same tired smile but he smiled back nonetheless.

“Hey.” Emery took her seat beside him.

“Hey.” Miles put his phone away and turned to her. “You OK?” She nodded. “So, what did the doctor want?” He asked out of pure curiosity. Mostly.

“Some family health details.” She held up what looked like a business card.

Miles caught the name Omar before she held it away from view. An unintended gesture on her part for sure.

“He wants to go over some details before Chris starts physio.” Emery added.

Miles nodded. See? Nothing to worry about. Miles told himself.

The door to Christopher's room opened and Natalia stepped out. Emery patted the empty chair beside her and Natalia reclined into the seat. Miles went back to his phone, giving the two space to talk. Not that he couldn't hear what they were talking about.

“You need to go home and get some sleep, Talia.” Emery said.

“I know.” She sighed heavily. “Doctor Hanna said he will be out till tomorrow but he might wake up so I will stay the night-”

Emery cut in. “No. I will stay the night. You go home and get some sleep Nat-”

“No, Em-” Emery shook her head. “Please? I just… just for tonight.” Natalia pleaded.

Emery was quiet for a while before she said, “Alright.” Natalia let out a relief sigh. “But promise me you'll go home in the morning to rest, Nat. Cause I'll be here in the morning to make sure you do.”

They spoke for a few more minutes before Emery went to say her goodbyes to her still-sleeping brother. When she came out, she took Natalia's keys to bring her a couple of things in the morning.

Emery and Miles left the hospital that night exhausted both physically and mentally.

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

It’s been a long week for Emery but the week came to an end sooner than she hoped. Emery sighed as she shut the door to the suite behind her, shutting out the bustling music from the club. Thank goodness for soundproof walls.

As she anticipated, the suite was empty. These days, she was mostly alone except when she visited her brother at the hospital like today as Miles worked at the foundation during the day and at the club at nights.

He was probably back at his office at the club but she was too tired to go and make conversation so she made her way to the bedroom to wash off the hospital scent. That overwhelming antiseptic smell made her feel sick to the stomach every time.

It won't be long before her brother comes home though. They had already made it through his first physiotherapy despite him being a big grump. Thank God for his physiotherapist who was the sweetest and patient human ever.

Emery yawned as she threw her bag onto the couch. She kicked off her shoes and took off her coat. She grabbed the hem of her shirt and was about to lift it over her head when she heard a thud in the walk-in closet. Quickly she lowered her shirt just as Miles stepped out.

“Hi.” Emery’s face warmed at the thought that she almost stripped in front of him.

“Hey.” Her stomach did that funny clench again when he met her gaze. “You just got back?” He asked.

“Yeah.” Emery cleared her throat. “I didn't know you were in.”

“Yeah. I just came up to grab a few things.” He sidestepped her to stuff some clothes in his gym bag.

Emery needed the peace and space but it felt weird taking his space while he slept at his grandmother's. There were two bedrooms in his penthouse but he had converted one into a home office. She had insisted on taking the couch or even rotate sleeping on the bed but that had only made him laugh. In the end, he chose to stay at his grandmother's.

“How was physio?” Miles asked.

“Good.” She perched on the hand of the couch as she watched him pack.

“Good.” Miles zipped the bag and turned her way. “So how's Chris?”

“He's good.” Emery replied with a smile.

That was basically the dynamic of their conversation for the last couple of days. Checking in on each other. It was nice. To some extent. But Emery couldn't help but notice the change in Miles's demeanor ever since the last time he came to the hospital with her. It almost felt as if he was avoiding her.

He looked around as if he was forgetting something. “So… you like this physiotherapist?” He asked as he walked back into the closet to find whatever he was looking for.

“What?” Emery asked, perplexed by the question.

“Christopher's therapist. Is he any good?” He asked as he came out of the closet with a pair of shoes.

“Omar? He is amazing.” Emery said with a soft smile.

“You're on a first-name basis with the doctor now?” He asked, his back to her.

Emery raised a brow at the comment. “What do you mean?” Her phone rang. She strolled over to the couch to grab her purse.

“Nothing. Just weird hearing you call him by his first name.” He shoved the shoes inside the gym bag.

“I would call him by his last name if I could pronounce it correctly.” Emery said lightly as she dug through her purse for her phone.

He said something under his breath that Emery couldn't catch as she was busy reading another rejected job application email. She sighed dejectedly. She caught him staring when she turned.

“You okay?” He asked.

“Yeah.” Emery forced a smile. “How's Elle and your grandma?” She changed the topic.

She had only said a word or two to his grandmother during one of his video calls when she had accidentally walked by. But the woman seemed genuinely welcoming.

She was yet to meet his niece though just as he was yet to meet her brother. But that was a mutually beneficial decision both had made for the time being.

“They're good.” Miles replied. He slugged the gym bag over his shoulder and glanced her way again. “See you tomorrow?”

Emery wanted to ask him to stay but she couldn't bring herself to say those words. Instead, she mumbled, “See you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight, Em.” He made for the door.

“Goodnight.” With her gaze trailing after him as he walked out, Emery almost tripped on the shoes she had kicked off earlier when she turned away from the door.

“Dammit.” She cursed as she stormed into the bathroom to shower.

The day wasn't all somber though. By the time Emery settled in bed that evening, she had received a job acceptance letter from one of the companies she applied for a job. She smiled—which was her first heartfelt smile since her day began.

Come tomorrow, she had her first job interview. And If everything fell into place, she would be financially secure—even before this was way over.

Her heart turned a little lighter at the thought as she went to sleep that night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 114 9
I sat beside the window of my room, a blank expression plastered on my face. My mind was blocked with several thoughts, emotions, etc. Anger, range...
42.9K 4.9K 85
"What else do you want me to say, Mia?" "Did you mean it?" There is a pause and I just-I feel exhausted, the kind that 12 hours of sleep hasn't been...
527K 8.3K 18
[18+] "I-I thought of a way to s-spice up our marriage." "That's great, tell me." I don't know why he was so nervous to say that. "Is it sex in the j...