Reviving Sage

By LazyExceptWhenEating

- Single Mom Sage Collins isn't really one for romance, and after being asked to be her bestfriends maid of h... More

Reviving Sage
[Chapter 1:]
[Chapter 2:]
[Chapter 3:]
[Chapter 4:]
[Chapter 5:]
[Chapter 6:]
[Chapter 8]
[Chapter 9:]
[Chapter 10:]
-Important-
[Chapter 11:]
[Chapter 12:]
[Chapter 13:]
-Please read-
[Chapter 14:]
[Chapter 15:]
[Chapter 16:]
[Chapter 17:]
[Chapter 18:]
[Chapter 19:]
[Chapter 20:]
[Chapter 21:]
[Chapter: 22]
[Chapter 23:]
[Chapter: 24]
Surprise?
[Chapter 25:]
[Chapter 26:]
Its Been A long Ass Time *PLEASE READ

[Chapter 7:]

73.8K 3.2K 2.1K
By LazyExceptWhenEating

“Six to eight weeks is the normal recovery time for any break.” Dr. Pressley explained flipping through her chart. Ella tried to peek over into the chart as if she could really tell what all the markings meant. She had insisted on sitting with Ansel as soon they wrapped his cast up the first time, before the initial casting. I wouldn’t dare let her be in the room when they re-broke his hand to set it, but I was there. I’d held his other hand like a supportive friend through the process.

  Why you ask?

    I had no freaking clue.

    I guess it seemed like the right thing to do since my mini me broke his hand…but that’s neither here nor there.

   It was amazing to see a man of his size screaming and cursing in pain, but as soon as it had started it was over. I had let go of his hand, trying to ignore the tingling sensation touching him caused.

    “You should be lucky Mr. Callahan.” She paused and looked at him with a wry smile “It could have been a lot worse, Your wrist could have shattered and you’d have to have reconstruction surgery.” I winced and shot a look at Ella, and I could see her little frown deepen. I didn’t have the type of money to pay for something as expensive as that. My insurance wouldn’t even cover it. Oh Ella.  She knew as soon as I gave her the look, we had went over this time and time before not to slam doors on people walking behind you. She had closed my hand up in doors a time or two and it had hurt like a bitch, but thankfully had never broken anything. I looked up at Ansel, and he seemed fine now though his hand was heavily bandaged.

    “Your metacarpal, proximal phalanx, inter-phalangal joint, and some more of your carpals are all unfortunately broken, but since the hand is one of the fastest places where bones heal, it should be all healed up in about four or five weeks.” He nodded and gave her his insurance information before she asked him what color he wanted his cast to be. He paused for a moment in thought before turning to Ella who was sulking in her chair next to me.

   “Ella..” he called softly, and she raised her eyes to meet his. He cracked a megawatt smile “What color should I get my cast? Can you pick one out for me?” Now it was my turn to look at him. He raised his brow in question, and my eyes narrowed to slits. What is he doing? Did he know he’d be trapped to a pink cast for a month or two?

    Ella’s mood perked up and her little eyes widened as she looked at me with unspoken uncertainty. It was that look. The one that made all parents say yes, and before I knew what I was doing I gave her my stiff nod of approval. Her eyes light up and she smiled before bouncing over to Dr. Pressley. The kind older doctor smiled as she led her out.

   “We’ll be right back with your cast Mr.Callahan.”

   And then there were two…

   “I am so sorry.” Were the first words spoken into the thick silence.

     “It’s fine Sage. Accidents happen all the time.”

   He smiled and gracefully slid off the hospital bed, wary of his hand. I quickly stood and went to help him, compelled to help by some unknown force. I took tentative step toward him, but ended up tripping on one of the hospital wires in the process. One minute I was walking upright, the next minute I was flailing toward the ground and mentally and physically preparing myself for the fall.

     But there was nothing. I didn’t fall.

     I didn’t fall.

      Instead I was acutely aware of two strong arms catching me. I didn’t think as he pulled me up and into his arms, letting his arms lower and encircle my waist. Oh my god. My body was pulled flush against his, and I was truly aware of how much larger he was than my own petite frame. I was aware of very muscle that rippled against my skin, aware of the distinct smell of Armani cologne and aftershave he wore, and I was aware of the way he held me up effortlessly showing no sign of pain in his clear blue eyes which were darkening by the second.

     Fuck me, and my clumsy feet…

   His hands were still at my waist as he asked “Are you alright?”

     “Are you?” I countered back. Why are you still letting him touch you? Why? Move away!

     “I’ve broken way worse than a hand Sage, I’ll be fine.”

     “But—“

      “Don’t beat yourself up over it.” His blue eyes narrowed “Or Ella, she didn’t mean it. She’s a good kid.” He whispered.

   I wanted to lean into him, into his warmth. He felt and smelt amazing, and just when I felt most comfortable he let me go. There was an awful sinking feeling in my stomach, and a lump choked my airways.  It was an instant disconnect that left me feeling cold, and distant. It was odd and I didn’t like it.

Really odd...

“What can I do to make it up to you?” I asked trying to keep my throat from closing up. Fuck, what is wrong with me? He leaned against the bed and rubbed his chin with his good hand.

“I can think of a few things.” He murmured suggestively with a glint of mischief in his eye. “One includes you, me, and my California King.” He finished huskily. Shit. I shivered at the mere thought even being alone with him. Now with thoughts of both of us near a bed, doing less than Christian activities, I blushed beet red.

    I placed my hand on my hip glaring at him from a few feet away. “I don’t do sexual favors.” But, if you decided to fuck me anyway I wouldn’t object.

     He took a step closer to me as that dark look crossed his face. “Who said anything about sex?”

  What?”

 I looked sideways at him “You just said—“

    “No.” he interrupted with a deep chuckle as he looked me over again, “You just insinuated I meant sex.”

Well, you’ve embarrassed yourself for the third time today Sage, congratulations!

   “What did you mean then?” I asked in a shaky voice.

    “I need you to help me move into the new house.” He held up his bandaged hand “Since unfortunately I’ll be out of commission for a little while.”’

     Of course thats what he meant you idiot! He doesn’t want you.

      “Okay.” I agreed quietly.  I am the biggest dumbass on the planet.

     He laughed again to himself. “Okay? Hmm, submissive today are we? You wouldn’t agree to lunch with me, but you’ll help me move…”

  He hasn’t gotten over that? God. “One, lunch wasn’t professional, Two, isn’t that what moving companies are for?”

    “But I want you.” He responded without even a moment to think, and I think my heart stopped at that exact moment. I want you? What? His stare was intense before he cleared his throat “I want you to help me move. You kinda owe me.”

   Damn.

      A pout made it’s way onto my face. Manual labor wasn’t my thing. I was so lazy. “Or there’s option two..” he said trailing off.

     “What’s option two?”

     His eyes twinkled “You let me take you out to lunch twice.” He said holding up two fingers “Once today with Ella, and once Tuesday when it can just be the two of us. Me and you” he smiled showing off his dimple. “Alone.”

      Alone. Oh how inviting that sounded…. The absolute last thing I need was to be anywhere alone with him.

     I glared at him and gave him my answer just as the doctor was walking in.

           “No.”

      Ansel laughed softly as Dr. Pressley came in with a hot pink cast concealed in a clear tube. Where was Ellie? Doctor Pressley must have sensed my wary because she smiled and nodded toward the door. “You have to be fourteen or older to sit in the room during the casting process.” I breathed a sigh of relief and stopped to look toward the small window in the rooms’ door to see Ella sitting with Lamar and Kim in the outpatient waiting room. I relaxed.

    “Dr. Kelsey should be in here any second to put on your cast.”  She explained and almost as soon as the words left her lips another doctor no older than thirty strolled in with an industrial looking object and goggles around his neck. I actually had to do a double take.

     He was cute.

     Really stinkin’ cute…

His skin was a smooth Mahogany color over firm muscles, which you could see through his stark white lab coat. His face was clean shaven with a sharp nose that turned up a little at the end, and the brightest pair of chocolate brown eyes set behind long lashes that I’d ever seen.

   Ansel’s eyes are brighter.

  I scowled internally and pushed all crush-like thoughts about him to the back of my head. Dr. Kelsey gave me a warm smile and I almost squealed.

   “Hello.” he spoke kindly in a warm deep timbre with just a touch of an accent. Islander, maybe? Whatever it was it was yummy. He gave me a once over and there was a look of obvious approval in his eyes. “The patient?” he asked and I giggled. Why am I giggling?

    “Uh-No.” I responded just as Ansel cleared his throat from across the room. I had almost forgotten he and Dr. Pressley were still here.

    “That would be me.” He nearly growled. Dr. Kelsey looked over at him and then back to Ansel before giving me another smile and moving over to his bedside.

   “Ah,” Dr, Kelsey sighed and turned to give me a wink over his shoulder “We hardly ever get cute patients in anymore.”

   Oh my god.

     Swoon.

    He turned back to Ansel. “I’m Dr. Kelsey, but you can called me Derrick if you’d like. I’ll be casting you today.” He reached out to grab Ansel’s hand and shake it, but seeing as the hand he was about to shake was broke he pulled back and bit back a smile.

    I was literally doing a happy dance internally. He called me cute!

     But Ansel called you sexy…

   I frowned and I moved over just close enough to see the deep scowl etched into Ansel’s face. “That’s good to know.” he responded, voice void of any emotion. The Doctor gave him a curt nod before going over to Dr. Pressley and retrieving the cast. They spoke in hushed voices for a moment or two before she nodded and left the room leaving the three of us alone.

    There was a comfortable very flirty atmosphere between Dr. Kelsey and I as he continued to wrap Ansel up. He was obviously a catch, smart, funny, good looking, and obviously was getting paid for his efforts at the hospital. And maybe if I played my cards right he’d ask me out. I think he was working up to it because he’d already asked what my favorite place to eat was. “So Ansel, any particular reason for the hot pink cast?” Dr. Kelsey asked with a chuckle as he carefully wrapped Ansels hand in a white plastic.

      “Yeah, my wife picked it out for me.” He responded in a chilly tone then he turned to me with a brilliant smile. “Isn’t that right honey?”

   I coughed sporadically clutching my chest.  Honey?!

    HONEY?!

   “What?” Both Derrick and I seemed to ask in sync. Since when in hell did I become his honey? Let alone his wife!

   Ansel looked at me with a playful little smile on his face, as Derrick looked a little green.

       “My babies just love the color pink. So I let her and my daughter pick this one out for me.” He continued on as Dr. Kelsey put a clear cast over the white tape with a small frown on his face.

     You’re not married to him! Speak up and assert yourself dammit!

    And I hate pink!

  “Well that’s just so sweet.”Dr. Kelsey replied neutrally, frown still firmly planted on his lips “How long have you two been married?”

   “We aren’t—“

    “Five years next month.” He replied smoothly as I glared a hole into the side of his head. He grabbed my hand and I blushed a beet red as he stroked the backside of it in a tender gesture. “She was just out of her first year at college, and I was already out of gradschool and I saw her walking down the street.” He whispered with a glazed over look in his stare, and I shivered. “I knew I had to have her..”

    Oh God, if I wasn’t so flipping mad I would have kissed him right there.

   Ansel’s eyes dragged away from mine as he yelped slightly, shooting a look toward Dr. Kelsey. He gave him a wry smile “Sorry, I was just straightening out your cast.” He said dully. And I looked down to see the shiny hot pink hue on his hand, a major contrast to his tan skin.

     “Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary.” He looked dead at me “I wish you both happiness.” He said with a sharp nod before leaving the room and slamming the door behind him.

    Whelp, there goes any chances of dating a cute doctor.

       Sigh.

     And it’s all one person’s fault. I ripped my hand away from Ansel’s and glared at him. “What is your problem?” I asked furiously trying to keep my voice low.

       He pouted innocently “Whatever do you mean wife?”

   “You know exactly what the hell I mean ‘husband.’” I threw my hands up “He was actually pretty cute, and he was digging me for a second. If you wouldn’t have came in with this wife bullshit I probably would have gotten his number or something!”

    He pfted and crossed his large forearms over his broad chest. “You can’t be serious..” he waved a hand over toward the door. “He was such a phony. ‘Oh we never get cute patients anymore’” he mimicked. “That dick probably says that to everybody, it was obvious he wanted into your pants.” He said rolling his eyes.

    At this point I was livid. He was obviously some self-absorbed prick who was used to being the center of attention all the time. Newsflash, it’s not all about you. “What are you jealous or something? Why is that any of your concern? I’m a grown woman.” Yes. My inner psyche applauded me and did a Beyonce hair flip as I went on.  “You aren’t my man, I don’t know you. So next time don’t pull that childish shit.” I finished feeling like one of the baddest bitches in the game.

      “Oh and you can forget about me helping you move, and our little lunch agreement, because its not gonna happen. Find someone else to deal with your messy attitude.”

      You tell him girl!

    His stare was blank and unwavering for a long while before he stood and strolled toward me with a weird glint in his eyes. I backed up a bit untill he had be backed against the door with his hands grasping at my wrists. Oh shit. “You listen here kotik.” He growled out. Kotik? What?Is that even a word?  “There is no way I was gonna let that man feel like he had a chance with you when you’re obviously out of his fucking league.” His eyes were a blazing navy blue as he continued, “It might have been wrong for me to say you were my wife and for that I am truly sorry.” He said with sincerity.

    “But if you think for one minute I’m apologizing for keeping some sleazy VERY  married doctors hands off you, you are sadly mistaken.” Married?! I hadn’t even noticed a ring. Shit, shit. My anger melted just a tiny bit.

   “I didn’t even—“

   “I know. Which makes it worse that he was about to take advantage of you like that. I almost lost my shit when he asked you what your favorite restaurant was.” He responded softly. He was close again and I wanted to shrink away but I couldn’t find the strength to do It. So I stood chest to chest with him.

     “I’m sorry.”

     Another apology?

  “Okay.” I responded dumbly. I had no clue what to say at this point. He was invading my comfort zone again, something he was very good at doing.

  He inched closer and I shook my head and tried to look away, try to ignore the fact that I was getting turned on by this whole ordeal, by how in a way he was possessive over me.

    There’s obviously something wrong I don’t even know him, and he’s got me reacting like this.

   His grip loosened on my wrists and that hardened look in his eyes seemed to dissipate He brought up his undamaged hand and ran his thumb over my bottom lip. All I could do was keep my eyes on his as he watched me with fascination and something else.

   “You know what you really need Sage?” he asked softy under hooded eyes. I shook my head and he nuzzled his nose into mine until our lips were almost touching.

    “No.”

   “You need something unprecedented, and unpredictable. Something so out of your comfort zone it’ll make you reevaluate your whole life, and make you look at how you really see the world. ”

    His cool breath fanned across my faced and I had to stop the soft purr threatening to escape my throat, and I knew that right then I was in for trouble.

   “You know what that something is?”

       The thumb on my lip stopped moving and his eyes sparked.

     “It’s me.” He murmured “You need me.”

---------

Hello, hello loves! Jeez louise it seems like forever since I’ve updated! But with school starting back in less than two weeks my time has been spent doing neglected summer work…

  But did you all like this chapter? It’s sort of a filler for the next but Let me know! And once again I would like to thank all the people who comment and vote on this story it means the world to me! And especially all the people that read this story and who have added it to their BWWM library.

     And just on a side note one of my favorite BWWM book writers voted on my story and I just want to say thank you to them! Thank you SourLulu author of Silent Guard!

Please comment and vote it keeps me motivated especially the comments!

   Next update up soon! Ta-ta!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267K 9.5K 33
Noalani is trying to become a successful lawyer and she's determined to let nothing get in the way. She meets Dillon at her new job working at a reno...
103K 3K 82
He's recovering, is lead vocalist and guitar(and good with many other instruments) in a band with his friends, has tattoos, a lip piercing, blue eyes...
22.4K 911 50
**EMOTIONALLY CHARGED STORY** Bucky meets a woman who will change his world views and make him see that how he was raised was wrong. Now he's a chang...
3.4M 128K 61
*****PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS FORCED TO MARRY A BILLIONAIRE MANWHORE***** Getting married is a day most girls daydream about from childhood to adulthood...