Skeletons in the Closet (Sue...

By JSMarlo

Framed for murder, Jack uncovers a different murder while hiding with Sue. More

Intro
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Six

322 1 0
By JSMarlo

It was a very foggy morning, and it took Jack and Sue longer than usual to get to town. They needed grocery, and Sue was anxious to get the articles Rosie promised her. Disappointment was written all over her when they faced the CLOSED sign.

A few days after Sue met Rosie at the grocery store, they went to the library. Rosie apologised, she hadn't had time to retrieve the articles. Sue could tell the woman was preoccupied so she assured her they would be back a few days later. Only today the library was closed when according to the sign it should have been open.

"Would you know where Rosie is?" Sue inquired at the cash register as she paid for the food.

"No idea, darling. Are you still waiting to read about the ghost?" asked the friendly cashier.

"Yes," Sue admitted. "Do you think I should stop by Rosie's house?"

"It wouldn't do you any good, darling. She left with Richmond," the cashier confided. "For a three-day getaway, or at least that was what Rosie told her neighbour, four days ago. With that girl, who knows."

Jack was waiting for her by the car. He was holding a brand new disposable cell he just bought since they had no phone in the house. And his first call was to Greg, their realtor. Jack could see Sue's smile widening as she listened to one part of the conversation.

"We love the house, Greg. Yes. My wife and I might be interesting in buying," Jack said, figuring a little lie wouldn't hurt. "No, no ghost," he laughed. "Could you get us the history of the house? How it came to be built. You know. My wife wants to read about it." He winked at Sue. "Thank you. We'll see you."

They were both finding the tunnels as intriguing as the ghost. It seemed like nature carved them over centuries, except for the last ten feet directly under the house. After their romantic interlude in the cave the previous day, they finished mapping the tunnels adding one last cave, a smaller one near the opening.

They drove back from town carefully, the fog just as thick as it was when they left. Any hope of venturing underground died when they lifted the trap. A fine mist invaded the tunnels.

The fire was roaring in the bedroom. Sue was resting in his arms, her breathing lowly returning to normal. He caressed her damp skin, the flames giving it a golden glow. She was still intimately pressed against him, and he wondered if she could feel the furious beating of his heart. Her lips were brushing his neck, sending small electric discharge through his body. He cupped her head, lifting her head towards him. Passion filled eyes were gazing back at him.

"I love you," he whispered just for her.

"I love you too." Her fingers traced down his spine to the curvier part of his body.

"Time to sleep, sweetheart," he chuckled, pulling the blankets over them.

In his wildest dreams, he never imagined spending so many sleepless nights making passionate love to her. And as much as he wished he wasn't wanted for murder, he didn't mind staying in hiding and extending his honeymoon a little while longer.

At some unconscious level, Jack felt her leave the warmth of his arms. He woke up instantly, remembering too well the night she locked herself in the closet. Embers glowed weakly in the fireplace. He searched the room for her. She was standing by the window, staring at the sea. She wore the shirt he discarded earlier on the floor. After throwing another log in the fire, he approached her. She sensed his presence and leaned in his embrace.

"There is another cave we missed," she murmured, her voice eerie

He ran his fingers in her hair, his other hand seeking the texture of her skin under the silky fabric. She moaned softly and he took her back to bed. He kissed her deeply, tenderly. She responded, the dream slowly replaced by sensations only Jack could awaken.

She stirred, her stomach growling an indication of how late they slept. When Jack asked her at breakfast what she meant by they missed a cave, she stared at him in confusion.

"Last night, you were standing by the window, dressed only in my shirt." A huge grin appeared on Jack's face as her image filled his mind.

"I was cold," she remembered, her eyes losing their focus. "It's very hazy. I was dreaming, Jack."

Her voice was as eerie as last night. He took her hand into his, willing her to continue.

"I... I was in cave, but not like the ones we explored."

"Were you in the tunnels?"

When she remained silent, he signed the question. She corrected the sign for tunnel, her attention back on him. He tried again, happy to see her smile.

"I don't know," she sighed. "It wasn't scary... really..." How does someone explain a dream? "I was simply standing there." She frowned. "The walls? There was something on the walls." She shook her head, the fleeting images fading out of reach. "Could we go back?"

"Underground?"

She nodded. "Yes. Now."

"Should I pack a picnic and a blanket?" He wiggled his brow at her and she blushed at the allusion. "You know, just on the odd chance we get hungry and tired?"

"Jack! You're... you're..."

"Madly in love with you."

Taking her hand, he kissed it, the delicate ring he placed on her finger shining in the late morning light coming through the kitchen window.

"Not what I was going to say, but I guess I can live with that," she teased.

They spent the following two days searching for the elusive cave, except it remained exactly that. Elusive.

They got up early for Sunday service. As they were in town, they learned Rosie still wasn't back from her trip with Richmond, and people were starting to complain about the closure of the library.

Greg, their realtor, was waiting for them at the house.

"If I had known you were in town, I would have met you there," Greg said when they invited him in.

"Coffee?" Sue offered.

"No, thanks. I have to get back." He gave a pile of documents to Jack. "This house has a long history. Have fun digging through it. I mentioned to the owner you might be interested in buying."

"I need to get that book deal first," Jack specified. "It may take months."

"No worry, Matt. It's not like the house is going anywhere. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call me. Have a good afternoon."

They watched him go, his car disappearing on the dirt road. Jack wasn't certain why he noticed it, maybe it was his FBI training, but approaching the house undetected would be very difficult, and aside from the dirt road, he couldn't see any obvious trails coming through the woods.

"It's a beautiful autumn day, sweetheart."

It was true. The sun was shining. The sky was blue with fluffy white clouds. Only a light breeze was coming from the sea to remind them November was just around the corner.

"The first we've seen since we moved here," she agreed. "Feel like going for a walk?"

***

Jack held her hand, enjoying her presence. It was so peaceful in the woods.

They stumbled on a very old trail and trekked along it. Dead leaves were covering the ground. A few were still clinging to the branches, no thanks to the strong winds they endured all week.

He heard a squirrel and pointed it to Sue. The small furry rodent was carrying a nut in his mouth while climbing the side of a birch tree.

"Levi would be chasing him all over," she chuckled, a tinge of sadness piercing through her voice.

Jack slipped his arm around her waist and held her tight. He knew she missed her dog though she hid it well.

"I will be all right," she whispered, touched by his concern.

"I know you will." He lifted her head and kissing her eyelid, sealing the moisture, wishing he could make Levi appear.

They returned to the house as the sun was setting over the ocean. They sat on the rock and watched the shades of pink and purple reflecting over the calm water until the last ray sank below the horizon.

'H-O-M-E', he spelled in her hand.

"Yes, let's go home," she whispered, her lips brushing his neck.

When he entered the bedroom after his shower, she was already in bed. He smiled, his heartbeat accelerating. She was wearing his shirt, her long legs spread on top of the comforter. He sat on the mattress and caught her ankle. She lifted her head from the papers lying all around her. Her eyes were twinkling with love. He massaged his way up her leg, feeling her shiver under his caress. She reached out, her fingers trailing along his chest down to where he tied the towel on his hip. He pushed the paper off the bed before attacking each button, slowly, his fingers brushing the newly exposed skin, one button at a time, his lips following the same path before skipping to the next button. He chuckled when she pulled on the towel. Patience wasn't a virtue his adorable wife possessed tonight.

"Two can play that game, honey," she murmured mischievously.

The fire burning in the fireplace was pale in comparison to the one her touch ignited inside him. He was very tempted to rip the last few buttons off.

"This is your favourite shirt," she reminded him teasingly, the shirt he wore on their first and only date.

Not that he would ever be able to wear it again within imagining her perfect body. He captured her lips, devouring her, the last barrier between them finally removed. The shadow of the flames danced on their skin, as love and desire consumed them.

Jack felt her stir in his arms, and woke up. The fire was dying. He pulled an extra blanket over them.

"Cold," her sleepy voice quivering.

He covered her body with his, warming her up. She moaned softly, his lips travelling along her collarbone partially responsible.

"Climb... Cave..." she voiced eerily as images of the past filled her mind.

Puzzled, he propped himself up on his elbows, and gazed at her. Her eyes were half open and she was staring through him at something only her could see.

"Sue?" He brushed her cheek, knowing it was too dark for her to read his lips, but hoping the light caress would bring her back to reality. Worries escalated when she remained unresponsive.

Suddenly she blinked, and her sight focused on him.

"Jack?"

A small smile appeared on her lips as her hands wrapped behind his neck. He lowered himself and offered comfort.

"I was there again," she whispered to his ear, her voice still eerie. "In that cave," she said, trying to recapture the fleeting memories.

He ran his fingers into her hair, and felt her relax.

"Love you." Her voice was barely audible. Her breathing slowed down and peaceful sleep reclaimed her.

Dawn caught him staring at the ceiling. Sue's dreams disturbed him. They sounded more like visions, and he wasn't certain where he stood on the subject. The previous day, they didn't venture in the tunnels. Was it some sort of reminder to keep looking for that elusive cave? And if it was, what was the purpose of it?

Exhaustion finally won and he drifted into an agitated slumber.

***

The daytime temperature dropped steadily as the week progressed, and frost on the ground became a daily occurrence. Jack and Sue were still not closer of finding that cave than they were a week ago. But reading about the house proved entertaining, especially in front of the fireplace.

In the late eighteenth hundred, a one-storey house was built by a merchant of questionable reputation who was suspected of smuggling goods. He was later killed in a bar brawl, and the house was handed down to his son who didn't quite possess his father's business skills. When a boat sank in the inlet, its crew and stolen merchandise washed on shore for days afterwards. The son fled to Nova Scotia to avoid prosecution.

Nowhere did they find any mentions of the tunnels, but Jack imagined they played an important role in the smuggling. They went back to the cave opening onto the sea. The path Jack thought led to the beach at low tide, abruptly ended halfway down on a ledge. He doubted the boats ever landed, instead Jack submitted they docked at high tide along the ledge, and the merchandise was smuggled inside the tunnels, rending the operation almost undetectable.

Sue found the notion both creative and daring, and according to her, it would explain why anyone who knew about the tunnels would indeed keep them secret.

The house was abandoned, and people forgot about it. A quarter of a century later, a grandson returned and claimed it as his inheritance. The house was rebuilt and a storey was added, but his wife hated the seclusion. A new owner bought it as a summer cottage, and kept it for a few years until he sold it again. Over the decades, the new owners made very few modifications to the house. In the early eighties, a man named Patrick Carson bought it and modernised it. After he was sent to jail, the house was auctioned. The new owner resold it immediately arguing the house was haunted. The rumour of an unwanted guest scared potential buyers away. Only the bravest investors still showed interest. But after the actual owner completely remodelled the house to no avail, even renters were not interested of staying in the house for free.

"I think we should ask for a discount," Sue joked.

"I think we should go stay in the mountains for a while," he retorted semi-seriously.

"I happen to love that house, Jack." When she cuddled against him in front of the fireplace, he dropped the last paper on the floor and wrapped her in his arms. "I haven't encountered the ghost yet, you know."

"How about those dreams you are having almost every night?" he reminded her.

They were sporadic at best, but Jack could sense when they got a hold of her. She would become restless, and he would wake up. She would be cold, and enter some strange trance.

"Jack, I'm not leaving until we figure out why I keep seeing that cave." Her tone of voice left no room for discussion.

He had always known about her stubborn streak, and it drove him insane at times, but tonight it only made her more desirable. He considered arguing with her just so they could make up afterwards.

"Jack, don't think about it," she warned as a grin appeared on his face.

"What?" Shrugging innocently, he wondered if she read his mind.

"It's not funny," she sighed. "It's darned frustrating."

He caressed her hair to soothe her. "Talk to me, sweetheart."

"I just wish I could remember," she murmured, her voice almost pleading. "I see images in my dreams. They are so vivid, Jack." She remembered that much. "Like I'm there, except they fade away so quickly, and I can only grasp meaningless fragments once I'm awake." A groan escaped her lips. "I don't know why this is happening to me, but I feel it means something important and I keep missing it."

"Want to go in town tomorrow morning?"

Being away for a few hours might prove beneficial. Maybe they could even have lunch in town.

"Sounds good." She smiled at him. "Jack, would you mind if we finish this conversation upstairs?"

***

Sue was delighted to see the sign saying OPEN in the window.

"The library is open," she yelled excitedly, their lunch forgotten.

Rosie was inside, sitting despondently at her desk, while a pile of books was waiting to be shelved.

Sue placed her hand on the librarian's arm. "Rosie? Are you all right?"

"No. Richmond is a jerk." She lifted puffy red eyes towards Sue. "Why do I always end up with losers?"

"Want to talk about it?" Sue offered.

"He promised me a romantic weekend in the mountains," she said, needing to share her misfortune. "You should have seen the place, a shack with no running water." Her head shook in disgust. "The first few days, Richmond made it worthwhile, he was amazing if you get my drift. Then the third morning I woke up and he was gone. He left me stranded with his mutt in the middle of nowhere."

"Mutt?" Sue repeated glancing at Jack, wondering how many definitions she could give that word under the circumstances.

"That," Rosie groaned, pointing at the ball of fur sleeping by her chair

Sue leaned over the counter and gasped as Jack peeked over her shoulder. A golden retriever lifted sad brown eyes towards them.

"I couldn't leave it behind, it would have been cruel. Now what am I supposed to do with it? It's a walking catastrophe. It spills everything. Coffee, soup... my carpet is a mess," she lamented. "I cannot believe he named it Grace."

"We could take it," proposed Jack.

Sue shook her head, her eyes widening in alarm.

'Trust me', he signed. "You know how I've always wanted a dog and a couple kids," he added for Rosie's benefit.

"That's a great idea," said Rosie, jumping on the opportunity to get rid of the dog. "It would warn you if the ghost is near. By the way, I have a reading bundle ready for you." She retrieved a stack of documents from under the counter. "I made copies of what you couldn't take out."

"That's very nice of you, Rosie," Jack said, displaying the Hudson charm.

"I will just need one of you to fill your name and address on a card." She took a pen out of a flowerpot and presented it to him.

"You do that, Becky, sweetheart." He kissed his wife on the cheek. "I will take Grace, and go read the latest news before we go home."

"You're lucky, Becky." Rosie handed her the card. "He's a keeper."

Sue couldn't agree more.

***

Clumsy was an understatement. Grace knocked off everything within a five feet radius. Sue made the mistake of petting her, and started crying. Why did Jack bring her home? Except for the clumsiness, she was a perfect female replicate of Levi.

Jack pulled her in his arms and took her to the couch. He expected a reaction, but not such an emotional outburst.

"I'm sorry," she babbled, wetting his shirt.

He lifted her tear-stricken face and with the cuff of his sleeve wiped her tears.

"Much better." He smiled tenderly at her. "I'm the one who should be sorry, sweetheart. I know how much you miss Levi. I didn't bring Grace to replace Levi... Actually, I did."

She frowned. "You did?"

"Hear me out, would you, please?"

***

Jack spotted the surveillance car immediately. It had been three weeks. Did Osborne really expect them to return, or was he simply following procedure? Not that it mattered to Jack.

He came back to DC with only one purpose in mind, and once he accomplished it, they would drive back home by the ocean.

Jack parked on the next street, near the wooded area of the park. The night was clear, and the moon was almost full. Not the best conditions to remain undetected. On the other hand, it made it easier to converse with Sue. She followed him among the tall trees and the bushes. He held Grace on a short leash, the dog obediently tagging along, while squeezing Sue's hand.

Sue nodded, ready to set his crazy plan in action. Why did she agree to let him risk their safety for her? Because he proved very convincing, she recalled only too well.

It was art class night, something Lucy started taking back in September. It ended at ten o'clock, which brought her home half an hour later. Levi would need a fairly decent walk after spending the entire evening home alone, assuming Lucy kept him. For all they knew, Tara or Bobby could have him or Sue's parents. They had no way of verifying Levi's whereabouts without exposing themselves. They simply gambled on Lucy keeping him, and taking him to his usual park for his night walk.

The next fifteen minutes would prove them either right or wrong.

A silhouette walking a dog appeared at the other end of the park. Sue immediately recognised Lucy. The timing was crucial. Sue silently willed Lucy to unleash Levi as soon as they set foot in the park. Sue held her breath. Lucy crouched down beside Levi. Her dog circled her best friend.

"Now Jack," she whispered.

Jack blew the dog whistle they bought on their way here. Levi paused a second, his ears rising, before sprinting across the park into the bushes with Lucy in pursuit.

Jack quickly switched Grace's and Levi's collars. He could hear Lucy calling Levi. He removed Grace's muzzle and placed it over Levi's jaw. Only one dog could safely be heard in the night. He then trapped Grace's leash in a branch, before retreating with Sue and Levi into the night.

***

Bobby and Myles found Tara already sitting at her computer when they entered the bullpen early morning.

"What is it, luv?" Bobby asked, noticing her frowning.

Tara scanned her screen as she typed furiously.

"You're spending too much time with her, Bobby, she's starting to ignore you," observed Myles. "Sounds a lot like marriage."

"Very funny, mate," Bobby groaned, both comments not escaping Tara, as he returned his attention on her. "Something to discuss over supper, luv?"

"That was close," she sighed in relief, before facing the guys with what she hoped was a neutral expression. "Make sure one of you brings the pizza."

"Your turn, mate."

Myles was fed up with pizza. "If I bring something, it won't be pizza. I'm--"

"Levi! What's got into you?" Lucy's frustration was obvious in her voice as she came in pulling a reluctant dog.

"He's missing his donut," Bobby said, reaching for the box he placed on the corner of his desk. "Come get it, boy." Bobby watched the dog sniff around Sue's desk. "Is he sick?"

"I think he's missing Sue," said Lucy, slumping in her chair. "And he really gets depressed when I leave him alone at night."

Myles arched his brow. "You left him alone last night?"

"I had art class, Myles. What was I supposed to do? Taking him with me so we could use him as a mod--"

Myles' sudden burst of laughter startled everyone, the deep sound drawing attention even from the other units sharing the floor.

"Sorry, sorry," he apologized all around, not quite able to remove the smirk from his face. "Conference room, please. Including doggy," he said, leading the way.

"Doggy? Name is Levi, mate," Bobby corrected, petting the animal who shied away from him. "See. You added insult to injury."

"If by injury you mean having his male hood snipped," Myles amusingly retorted after closing the door of the conference room. "Then I apologize."

"Mate, Levi doesn't have his--Lucy! What did you do?" Bobby stared in disbelief at the poor animal.

"I... I didn't..." She was too stunned to emit any coherent words.

"Oh my God," exclaimed Tara, placing her hands over her mouth.

"SHE is endearing," noted Myles who approached her slowly. "Easy," he said, bending down to pet her. "Good girl." He noticed Levi's tag hanging on Levi's collar, and a tiny scrap of paper not bigger than his thumb caught in it. "Someone recognises that?"

"THANKS," Lucy read. "What kind of sick joke is this?"

"It's Jack's writing," observed Tara, a smile appearing on her lips. "He got Levi back to Sue."

"Sounds like a logical explanation," Myles agreed.

"Which means Sparky and Sue are fine," Bobby concluded, grinning like a child on Christmas morning. "Okay, Luce, try to remember when Levi stopped acting like Levi."

Bobby was curious to know how his best mate was able to pull that off under Osborne's nose.

"I... I..."

"Easy, Lucy." Myles caught her as her knees buckled underneath her. "You should sit."

"Thank you, Myles." She took a deep breath. Her friends and colleagues were staring at her. "Levi was fine when I left last night. I took him for his walk in the park. I let him run with just his short leash. He caught it..." She paused, the evening replaying in her mind. "He ran in the bushes. When I found him, his leash was caught in a branch. He was trapped and barking loudly. I thought he was scared." Her voice dimmed as she realised she brought back the wrong dog. "When we got home, he... she acted strange. Everything within range, she knocked off. And she sniffed everywhere."

"That was a very clever switch," Tara said, the men agreeing with her. "You know, Luce, you may want to leave her home. We don't want Osborne to learn Jack came back to DC to retrieve Levi."

"You're right. Come to think of it, I will take the day off."

"Good idea, you look pale. I'll talk to D," said Bobby.

"Thank you, Bobby. Come on Le... whoever you are." She reached for the door as it opened and D walked in. "Sorry D, I--"

"You look awful, Lucy. Maybe you should take the day off," the new supervisor suggested.

"I... I will see you tomorrow."

D closed the door behind Lucy, staring hard at the three agents.

"Were you completely out of your minds?" D roared.

The three exchanged quick glances but remained silent, unsure as to what D was referring.

D sighed loudly. "Do you realise you played right into Osborne's hand?" he said, confusing the agents even more. "A love triangle?" D exclaimed in dismay. "Couldn't you three come up with something a bit more believable?"

"There was a slight misunderstanding."

"Misunderstanding, Myles? How about your trip to Hartford? Or did you think Osborne wouldn't notice the itinerary?"

"I honestly thought he was as stupid as he looked," Myles replied, innocuously.

"This isn't funny." D stared at his team who couldn't maintain straight faces. "Osborne knows you're investigating behind his back."

"I would rather use the term suspect," corrected Bobby. "I doubt the drongo can prove anything."

"He doesn't need to prove anything, you hanged yourselves," D told them. "You were ordered to drop the investigation and turn it to Osborne. If you said you didn't, he gets you for ignoring orders, and if you say you did, he gets you for engaging in illicit relationships."

"You cannot be serious," retorted Myles in disbelief.

"Do I look like I'm having fun?" he shouted.

"We won't admit to investigating," Tara said. "I'll take the blame for illicit relationships."

"But luv?"

"Tara?" Myles objected as well.

She glared at both men, effectively silencing them. D observed his team.

"Wise choice," D agreed in a milder tone, making eye contact with each of them. "You're avoiding disciplinary action, and are not bound to reveal anything you uncovered."

"Right," said Tara. "So? What are the consequences?"

"You have been reassigned to the cybercrime unit."

Tara shrugged. It could have been worse. She would only be one floor up. And she was giving the freedom to associate with Bobby and Myles as often as she wished outside hours.

"And Bobby, also effective immediately, you'll be on loan to DEA."

"DEA?" That was the last drop, his temper exploding. "We're a team, mate. How could you split--" but Tara gagged him with her hand, her eyes imploring him to calm down.

She had the most beautiful eyes. He took a breath, his tongue inadvertently brushing the palm of her hand. He felt a small tremor in her hand, and noticed a flicker in her captivating eyes.

"We did underestimate the little vermin," sneered Myles, diverting the attention from Tara and Bobby. "Where are they sending me?"

"Nowhere. You--"

"How come he got to stay?" Bobby growled, catching Tara's hand before she replaced it on his mouth. "I'm fine, luv."

"I will be getting three or four new recruits," D explained. "You will act as their training agent."

"Wonderful," mumbled Myles.

"I had no choice," D justified, holding their gaze. "Now, you listen carefully because I won't repeat it. I only trust THREE people to solve this mess. I hope I don't need to mention names. Dismissed."

***

DEA wanted him as much as Bobby wanted to be assigned to them. Not assigned, he reminded himself, loaned. Bobby liked the underlying meaning suggesting it was only a temporary transfer.

He knocked on her door, noticing Osborne's men farther down the road. Osborne gave up tailing him, but what else was he expecting to accomplish by watching Tara day and night? Jack and Sue were long gone with Levi, a smile curling up his lips.

"Gutsy, gutsy, Sparky," he whispered in admiration.

Tara opened the door, and for a second watched him grin at empty space.

"Bobby?" she sighed. So much for him thinking about her.

"Hello, luv." He leaned down to kiss her cheek like he had been doing every time he came to see her this past week.

She let him come in and closed the door behind them.

"You don't have to pretend anymore, you know. Osborne effectively dismantled our team."

He caught her arm as she walked away. He searched her eyes, but they were cloudy, unreadable. Her comments hurt him, the first more than the second, he realised. He'd kissed her twice, and both times still haunted his memory.

"I'm not pretending," he said huskily, lessening his grip, his hand trailing up her arm.

She held her breath. Bobby couldn't mean...

"You are an amazing woman, Tara Williams," he whispered, stopping her musing. "Are you still seeing Stanley?"

She raised her brow, the question taking her by surprise. "Stanley?"

"Yes, Stanley. You know, your boyfriend."

His dimples mesmerized her. How could she think when his fingers brushed her skin as he pushed a lock of blond hair behind her ear?

He wrapped an arm around her waist. "I hope it means no."

"No." she murmured.

He swallowed her answer. Her lips were soft, opening under his gentle exploration. He wasn't certain who deepened the kiss, not that it mattered. They were both equal participants. He felt her hands reaching behind his neck, and her fingers stroking his skin. He pulled her closer to him, her small frame embracing his body perfectly.

Myles knocked. No one answered.

He could see Bobby's car parked in the street, and he imagined Osborne's men grinning like idiots in their surveillance van. He assumed Bobby and Tara were in the computer room and took the key she'd given him. He grew suspicious when no click was heard after he turned it in the keyhole. The door was unlocked. With one hand inside his jacket ready to draw his gun, he vigorously pushed the door.

Rumbles, tumbles and squeals resonated in the apartment as the door came in contact with the couple behind it.

"I'm sorry," Myles apologized staring at Bobby and Tara's bodies sprawled in the hallway. "Are you all right? I knocked. Didn't you hear? What were you doing hiding behind--" Tara blushing a crimson shade of red answered his question. "For my sanity, don't answer that."

Walking past them, Myles rolled his eyes when he heard them chuckle. At least they were a bit faster on the ball than Jack and Sue were, he reflected.

"We'll finish that conversation later," Bobby whispered at the same time he helped Tara to her feet. "I believe Myles is waiting for us in the computer room."

"Glad you're finally joining me," Myles uttered as he watched pictures speeding by on her screen. "I'm guessing no luck yet with the DMV records since the program is still running?"

He swivelled with the chair so he would face them.

"No." She sat with Bobby on the daybed.

"Just tell me what you found out this morning. I cannot stay very long, I need to stop by Lucy's. She deserves to know what happened before she shows up to work tomorrow and realizes those new recruits don't even know how to spell report, let alone how to fill one." Myles sighed in disbelief. "When this is over, I will wring Osborne's neck."

"I will hold him for you, mate. I still don't get how a guy like Osborne was able to get Tara and I reassigned so quickly."

"Easy," she said. "Remember when I said I would install a program on my work computer to spy on intruders?"

The men nodded.

"Well, I had to come up with a search, so I chose Osborne. I figure the more we know about him, the better."

"I thought we knew too much about the drongo already," Bobby complained.

"I dug out an interesting file this morning. His dad was a CIA agent." The expression on their faces told her it came as a revelation. "He was killed nineteen years ago during the Makovich terrorist attack."

"That's the same attack during which Assistant Director Connors saved the President's life," recalled Myles. "Connors was on loan to the CIA at the time. Did he know Osborne Senior?"

"They were partners," revealed Tara. "Connors is the one who lessened the charges against Osborne junior after the botched undercover operation Jack managed to salvage."

"So the drongo has the Assistant Director in his pocket. No wonder he was able to get the case assigned to his team."

"Or that you two were transferred, considering how Connors feels about bureau relationships," added Myles.

"What else, luv? It sounded way more serious this morning."

"Yah, it was," she confirmed. "The software picked up a trace."

"Could you track him?"

"No, Bobby, but that's not the interesting part," she said. "Someone else was trying to track him down too."

"Someone else? The more the merrier," Myles said, the sarcasm obvious in his voice. "Friend or foe? Or do we even care to speculate anymore?"

"One is bound to be friendly, mate."

"Not sure, Bobby, but cyber space is getting crowded," she quipped. "I stumbled onto the second this morning. Evading him proved challenging. He may have caught a glimpse of me."

"No point worrying about it, luv. You did great."

"This day is only getting better. Now not only do we watch our back, but our front and side as well. Okay, I'm leaving." Myles bid his farewell. "Have a great evening."

***

When Ted parked his car in the driveway it almost felt like driving home. Almost.

He'd stopped by the cemetery on his way back from the hospital. It had been almost nine months, and he still missed his wife like the first day. He should have retired sooner, but thought they had all the time in the world.

"Welcome back, sir. How is Agent Davis?"

There were times he wondered if Syto slept in front of her computer.

"Still in a coma." He sat in front of her. "But his vital signs are improving."

"That's good, isn't it?"

He supposed it was. "I guess so."

"Sir?" Her voice trailed slightly, a sure indication he wouldn't like what she was about to say.

"What else, Syto?" he asked, resigned to more bad news.

"Agent Williams is digging into Agent Osborne's record."

"Did she uncover something we missed?"

"No, sir, but I caught HIM watching her, and I trailed the signal back to the Hoover building."

Garrett whistling was not quite the reaction she'd expected.

"HE is either getting careless, or you were trailing the wrong person." he said, searching her expression for any doubts.

"No, sir. It was HIM. After all those months, I would recognise his signature in my sleep. HE accessed the network from the inside."

"Very good, Syto," he praised. "Any chance you can narrow it down?"

She bit her lips.

"Syto? Did he spy you?"

"No, sir, but I caught a glimpse of another intruder, and that intruder evaded me very skilfully."

Garrett raised his brow at the statement. "Interesting." At the moment, he could think of only one other person involved with this case smart enough to elude Syto. "Be very careful of HER."

"HER, sir? Are you thinking about the soprano?"

They still had not figured out if soprano was a name, a code or simply a mistaken word from Thomas.

"No, Syto, I'm not," he said, choosing to remaining evasive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 181 15
The Secret Seven have a fantastic new hiding place but someone else is using it at night and it's Jack's little sister Susie who helps them catch the...
3 1 1
A P.I NAMED JACK HUNTS DOWN A KILLER THAT STARTED WHEN HE WAS IN COLLAGE While on this case the past comes to haunt him as this killer is smart and c...
73 0 8
daryl goes into a new town and learns about the mysteries there
6.3K 45 12
When the bodies of young women begin to surface, Jack and Sue go undercover as a married couple.