The Devil's Mask

By paigempowell123

WORK IN PROGRESS!! ♡♡♡ medevil, love, adventure, danger, Sneak peek coming soon! WARNING: Mild language, v... More

PLEASE READ!
chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
chapter 5
chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
chapter 9

chapter 4

27 3 0
By paigempowell123

   Aunt Thea surpsingly said yes. It really didnt take much convincing, wich really surprising. When i asked her when she said yes she  laughed.

    "You never have asked to go before. I never let you go when you were younger because i didnt want to escourt you and let you make a fool of yourself. But now you are smart enough to handle yourself, deary."
   The explanation was so simple to me. A bit too simple.

I was a good kid, but i would always act rashly when i was angry. It was one of my faults. So for her to avoid it altogether was smart on her part.

  Marys mom who was standing with her picking different fabrics smiled at me.  Marys mom never truly got out much she was always hard at work making the most wonderful dresses.

    I swear if she was a bit skinnier, her daughter and her could be twins. It was un canny that they looked so much alike. It was like looking into Mary's future. 

    "Ill make sure she end up home safely, Thea, there wont be nothing to worry about." Marys mom reassured my aunt.

   My aunt nodded and smiled at us.
  It didnt take much time to pass before she left.

We passed the time by going to the bakery and talking with marys father as they baked together.

Now Mary's father, the only thing Mary got of his was his wisdom and the love of baking. They were somewhat magical at it. 

He was tall, it was said he was from a line of small giants, and thats why he was tall. But he barely stood over any normal sized man. He always wore his poofy white long sleeved shirt and his brown apron wich was always covered in flour.  He had black hair just like his wife and child but not as dark. He had brown eyes and a strong jaw line. He was always so focused in his work he made every single piece of bread or dessert perfectly.

They had me sit in the kitchen with them.  Last time i tried to bake i burnt 5 loafs of bread, after that Marys father wouldnt let me cook again.

But in the middle of joking around someone came in. We were laughing when two kings gaurds pushed the curtain aside making me jump and look over my shoulder in surprise.

Both was in armor with red cloaks over their shoulders.

One was more lanky then the other, had shaggy brown hair with brown eyes he was handsome but didnt capture my attention as much as the other gaurd did.

   He was handsome, and was tall and muscular. He had blonde hair that had braids in it and it was halfway pulled back out of his face. He had the most stunning blueish grey eyes ive ever seen. Its like they were glowing. But his face even though handsome it was scarred and covered in dirt.
He was absolutely terrifying, and intimidating.

The way he stared at me scared me to my core. It was a intese stare that felt as if he was angered by my very presence.

My body started trembling before i relized it. I couldnt help but stare back for a moment before i snapped out of it.
   I quickly turned away from them.

Since i was higher ranked atleast as far as i knew i wasnt allowed to fully acknowledge someone until they addressed me.  Mary moved to stand behind me to block me from their veiw.

   "How can i help you sir?" Marys father asked.

  It felt like a eternity before the brown hair man answered back.

   "I have a small group of men that has to be fed. Ill pay for 50 loaves of bread." His voice was deep yet smooth.
  I wanted the other man to speak.. to say something anything.

   I closed my eyes and took a deep breath trying to make the butterflies in my stomache to calm down.

    Marys father agreed to sell them half of the ones he already had on display in the front room now and then make fresh ones as well in the next hour. 

I glanced over my shoulder to see the handsome stranger looking at me still. The shorter one looked at the other before he nodded and held out a small coin bag full of coins.
      Mary stepped forward and took it from him. She was trying to touch him to read his thoughts. But he just dropped the bag in her hands before they bowed his head and turned and left.

    Marys father went to work and called in mary to help make the dough. After they were hard at work my body finally calmed down but left me woundering who those man was.

    It wasnt long before all the dough they made was ready to be put in the oven.
Mary's father let out a deep breath.

  "Kings gaurds? This far from the palace? Must not be good news. Lets hope whatever is happening it has nothing to do with this village." Her father was basically talking to himself at this point.  He had picked up the coin bag and dumped it on the counter.
   "This is more then what everything cost." He said confused.

  Mary looked over at him and the coins on the table. "Well when we deliver the bread or when they pick it up lets give what was left to them."

   They were good people never taking more then what was needed.

    Her father nodded and shooed us out of the bakery now that the har work was done.
   We went out and notice we had been in there for the last 3 hours.  The festival should be getting started at any moment.

  I looked over at Mary and laughed. She was covered in flour.
   "Lets go get you ready, " i announced.

"What about you?" She asked.

   "Im fine. It will take too long if we both get ready.. plus im not dirty since you two wont let me touch anything." I scoffed.

   She laughed and shook her head un ashamed.

    By the time we were able to get her washed up and ready we could already hear music playing from the square.

   Her mother smiled in approval for her daughter. The dress mary was wearing was green and really brought out her green eyes and long raven black  hair that was braided down her back.

Marys mother allowed me not to change because the pink dress i had on was made by her and it was one of her favorites.

   We were sent off with strict orders not to stay out too late and to stay together no matter what. Not a hard rules to follow.

   We walked down the street to see alot of people. More then usual. There was more men then i would have thought, drink ale and laughing and some even was dancing with girls. Alot of unfamiliar faces.

   "The group of men that was mentioned from the two soldiers." Mary  comfirmed my thoughts.

We looked at each other and laughed before going to mingle. We stayed away from people we didn't know.  We danced with whoever ask and laughed at the jokes told. I swear i was smiling so much my cheeks hurt.

Even Wallace, ask me to dance. He had hazel brownish eyes, with dark brown hair he was somewhat muscular in a slim way. He didnt seem as handsome now that i saw those soldiers . Wich was a pity because i could tell he was actually trying to get my attention.

    After we were done dancing and i begun to walk away he grabbed my wrist and led me away to the side of the crowd.

    "And here i was thinking you had two left feet. I thought these parties weren't your thing." He teased me making me laugh.

    "Well they arent. And im graceful with my two left feet, thank you." I teased right back.
  He chuckled and looked down at me.

   "I wanted to show you something.. something i made.. if your willing to come back to the shop with me." He seemed nervous to ask me.

    I looked away from him and bit my lip.

   I didnt know how to reject him. I wasn't going to run off with him.

Luckily i didnt have too. Someone came up behind me and grabbed my upper arm turning me around.

It was the man from the bakery earlier. The brown haired one.

  "There you are Miss. I was sent by your friend to find you. Seems you got seprated. " He was no longer in his armor just regular clothing now. Dark leather jacket over his dark colored shirt and pants along with riding boots.

I smiled at him gratefully. I nodded once and turned back around at Wallace frowning.

"Im sorry, i have to return to Mary." I curtseyed to him becore turning back to  the man.  "Please take me to her."

  He smirked and lead me out of Wallaces veiw.
     "My name is Aro, and your name?"

I smiled at him accusingly." She never asked for me did she?"

His smiled brightened."No, but i will take you back to her. "

   "Thank you for getting me out of that, Aro. But if you could just point me in the direction of where my friend is, im sure i can find her." I told him. It didnt seem right having him come to my rescue.

    He looked me over deciding wether to let me go off on my own or not. He probably knew how stubborn i would be so after a moment he sighed.

"She is by the tables on the east end."

I curtseyed to him and smiled gratefully up at him.
    "Thank you. Again."

I hurried and made my way threw the crowd to where mary was.

After that i was ready to go home. It was already a 2 hours after the sun went down. But i knew it would be hard to convince Mary to go home.

   She say me coming relieved to see me safe and sound she rushed to my side.

   "Are you okay?" She asked.

I nodded sheepishly.

    She sighed and already knew what i was going to say.  "Lets go home then.. but next party you and i will stay till midnight."

I laughed. "Deal."

"Not a problem miss."

The one who is staring at her.

And the one who was with the first guy. His name is Aro.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 6 56
"Touch my mate again and you're dead! Got it?!" "Y-yes sir!" Started: April 4,2023 Completed: June 14, 2023 *Language, Trigger Warnings, Mature Theme...
7.5K 160 22
I haven't seen many stories for this man so now I'm writing one 😌😌 Soo basically you're a little PSYCHOPATH but Danny here is still trying to figur...
830 36 27
My cousin broke her heart. I'm going to be the one to fix it. I'll do everything I can to. *mature themes, language, trigger warnings* Started: May...
21.5K 824 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...