What's my sin?

By itunuoluwA1

"life is better without the abuse no matter how alone you may be" A young girl tells of her experience throu... More

Chapter one: Another morning
Chapter 2: Demotion
Chapter 3: Dad
Chapter 4: A new friend
Chapter 5: Friendly Trouble
Chapter 7: Hide and seek
Chapter 8: Boomerang
Chapter 9: Happy day ruined
Chapter 10: Shocker
Chapter 11: A day of freedom
Chapter 12: Back to the hood
Chapter 13: Sisters
Chapter 14: A taste of Power
Chapter 15: Tricked Christmas
Chapter 16: Crossover
Chapter 17: Journey alone.
Chapter 18: A new breeze
Chapter 19: Scandal
Chapter 20: Freedom walk
Chapter 21: Adapting
Chapter 22: Clique bangs
Chapter 23:Boarding tales
Chapter 24: The siege
Chapter 25: Fire!!!
Chapter 26: Dreams do come true

Chapter 6: Birthday

435 47 1
By itunuoluwA1

"Mummy please I want to go with you ". Tears streaked down my cheek as I looked up at my mum's astonished face. She squatted to my level ignoring the angry sighs of my step mum behind us.

"You can't come with me just yet. You have to stay with your dad"

I clutched at her shoulders. "But... Mum." I pulled up my dress revealing the marks on my body as she gasped. "Mummy see my body. I want to come home"

She looked at my step mum "Bisi!  Kilode? (what happened? "). What could she have done to deserve this?" she got up and move closer to her. "Do you want to kill her? "

"Did you ask her what she did ehn?  Or should I let a child under me become spoilt. See I have nothing to say to you. If you want her go and speak to her dad.  But for now, she is keeping us waiting, we have to go home "

My mum became quiet and mute.  She shook her head "Bisi! My God will repay you for this. " she came back to meet me and hugged me tight "Ruth,  I'm sorry you can't come with me." I began to cry "Why mummy why?  Make me understand ". She began to sob also.  "When it's time you will understand. Remember what I told you. Always pray. God will fight for you"

My step mum dragged me out of her bosom "get into the car with your belongings. "

"Mummy no please" I held onto her thigh till my step mum pried my hands away from her. "if you don't get into the car now I'll slap you ". I picked up my bag and walked slowly to the car.  I looked back at my mum but she could only wipe her eyes helplessly.

I glued my eyes to the window and watched her as the car drove away oblivious of the several threats my step mum kept making at the front.

"Ruth come here" my guardian's voice from the window was the first thing I heard as I came down from the car. I clutched my bag to my chest as I walked over to her place.

"Sit down" . I sat down on the settee opposite her.

"Why did you do that? "

I touched my fingers and looked down at my laps. "I know you want to be with your mum but that isn't possible right now okay?" . I was surprised but I nodded anyways.  "Now you will go back and drop your bag and tell your mum that i have dealt with you".

I jerked my head up in surprise. I couldn't believe my ears or eyes that I was talking with the same woman. "Yes ma". I muttered and quietly got up and out of the house.

I went to the tap and put water on my face before going inside.  "Mama has beat me" was the first thing I said when I bumped into her indoors.  She fumed for a while.

"The next time you pull such a stunt with me will be your last in this house. Do you understand? ". I nodded rapidly. She waved her hand dismissing me and I went into the room.

Sundays were days of visitation from our mothers, all except me though. My mum stopped coming to visit me since the previous year giving me no reason for it.  Martin's mum was the first to come and he ran over to her. 30 minutes later, Kingsley's mum arrived. The house became busy after that and I felt so lonely.

I went to the backyard and sat down alone.  I needed to get busy with something. I picked up a broom and started killing flies. I was so engrossed in it that I didn't Notice my guardian walk towards me. "Come inside" . I was startled and dropped my broom hurriedly before going with her.

We got in to her living room and she told me to sit down. She went to the TV stand and turned it to a children channel for me. I was happy and forgot my sorrows for some minutes. I waited for her to leave but she sat on the closest settee instead. I decided to glue my eyes to the TV. 

I was there for two hours before Charles came in with the others to join me.  "Has your mummy gone? " I whispered to Martins ?"

He nodded "she bought new cloth for me"

"You will show me later" . He nodded.

"Come and eat" mama said coming out of the kitchen. It was one of those rare times she cooks for us. We love her delicacies because most of them are always English meals but we dreaded her local meals.

We got up and went to sit at the dining accordingly. We all knew our positions. I sat at the rear end close to martin while Dara and Charles sat at the single seat at the end of the table. Kingsley sat beside Dara. Mama came in with serving dishes on a tray ehich she placed on the table.

"You couldn't come and clean my place yesterday because i was not around. This Saturday must not be exempted okay?"

"Yes ma." we chorused and she continued. "Ruth will scrub the dining room and bathroom upstairs this time, Dara will take the guest room upstairs, Martins my prayer room, Kingsley the toilet and living room downstairs and Charles..." she smiled at him. "You will take care of my room with me" . Charles smiled back and she looked back at us. "Am I understood? ".

"Yes ma" we nodded. She began to serve the meal.  We are having semolina and a strange soup which we aren't familiar with. We looked at the plates with relish as she served it, it smelt so nice and had big chicken on it.  She served us one after the other and we picked up a fork each from the cutlery case on the table.  We were forbidden to use our hands for any meal at her place.

She served us water round and sat down with us.  We knew what was next and we held our hands together as she said a short prayer for us. "Enjoy your meal". She got up and went to resume watching television.  I looked at the morsel in front of me and then the soup which was brownish and drawing.  It couldn't be so bad. I dipped my fork into the morsel cutting a small chunk out and dipping it into the stew.

I put it into my mouth.  Well,  slimy...yes, tasty, I began to chew.  My teeth began to hit several lumps. I began to spit it out, I stopped and looked at the others.  They had the same reaction on their face. We looked at mama and she was checking on us and smiling. I began to force myself to chew like others were doing.  I took another morsel,  this was worse.  I couldn't take it anymore, I grabbed the water in front of me and pushed it down my throat.  I felt relieved instantly and gasped. Others saw me and made a grab for their cups too. 

We wanted to laugh but couldn't.  We started refilling our cups and began pushing large chunks down our throat with water down to the last morsel.  I wiped away the sweat trickling down my face and relaxed.  My tummy was full. I looked at the chicken on my plate and smiled. Now I don't need water for this. I began to gobble it up, so were others. It felt like a reward for our sacrifice. When we were done we went to wash our plates one after the other still gnawing on the bones in our hands.

Thereafter we went back to our apartment  for our night prayers.  I went to my room and picked up my Bible. I had one more thing to do.  I opened it and read psalm 23, I closed it and prayed fervently once more for an escape and reunion with my mum.

@@@@@@@@@@@

The next day was a Monday. My step mum came into my room and woke me up to come out for prayers. I got up and looked at the time, it was just four o clock.  I wondered why I had to get up early but I stood up anyway as I had no choice.  She had gone to the boys room to call my brothers.

I got to the living room and saw everyone gathered together,  I still couldn't understand what was going on and I began to get scared again. I didn't bed-wet, neither did I do anything wrong.

"Sit down" I sat down on the stool my step mum gestured and waited for what was about to befall me.  She coughed and began "I woke you all up early today because today is Dara's birthday". Then I remembered but I still couldn't fathom why my sleep had to be interrupted. She was still speaking so I held my thought.

"I want us to hold a prayer for her today.  We have to celebrate with her. " I rolled my eyes and wished I could just walk back to bed. "Let's get up and pray" she pointed to Dara "come to the center". The prayer lasted for about 15 minutes before we did our morning prayer.  We then sang a birthday song for her to which she beamed. When we were done she pointed to a carton by the dining area. "We are all going to pack her birthday gifts before you all go and bath ".

The box was opened revealing several goodies ranging from goody goody to Caprisone.  We were all thrilled and began to ooh and aah at the different junks.

"Everyone grab a nylon each. Ruth, take charge of the sweets, Kingsley, the biscuits and Martins the drinks, Dara the stationeries. Put them into a nylon each and drop them into the box.". We set to work gibbering and chattering keeping quiet when she snaps at us only to resume seconds later".

"You can all go and have your bath now,  you have 1 hour to get prepared for school."
We all went to have our bathes and dress up for school.  I was about putting on my dress when my step mum came in and told me to go back to the bathroom.  She told me to wash the bathroom before dressing up. I frowned and reluctantly picked up the brush. The next thing I felt was her slap which added speed to my steps.  When I was done I went in to Dre's into my school uniform. I had been given new set of books for my new class which I kept in my bag.

I carried my bag and went to the dining and saw that my food had been eaten. I drank water,picked up my lunch box and went to join the others in the school bus already. Dara was in a purple Cinderella dress which was given to me by my mum.  It looked so beautiful on her and I felt jealous so I didn't say anything to her. 

My step mum waved at us as the bus zoomed out.  "Your gifts and cake will be brought to school." Dara beamed.

"Today is my birthday " she told the driver just to make sure he knows.

"oh Happy birthday dear.  Where is my cake?" He teased

"My mummy is bringing it" she said cheerfully. 

"How old are you today? "

She stretched out her palm showing her fingers to specify the number "I'm 6 years old. My mummy said I'm a big girl and the woman of the house".

I looked at her in awe and the others chuckled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

423 87 19
Shutting the world and everything that has to do with men out,Charlotte went against all odds for the only person who owns her heart, her daughter. A...
686K 41.6K 53
"𝗣𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝗱𝗶𝘀𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻.. 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝗵𝘂𝗿𝘁𝘀, 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝗵𝘂𝗿𝘁𝘀" © -𝙼𝙾𝙽𝙴𝚈𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚂𝙴𝚁 �...
14 0 1
This is based on true events. It is my own autobiography. Mature content due to nature of the story. Includes childhood trauma, abuse, neglect, death...
4.6K 68 18
Their father was an abusive man who went out each night to get drunk, and their mother was an angel sent directly from Heaven to protect them. It all...