Aries

By firedance_icesong

[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her bes... More

Author's Note and Glossary
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 12.1
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 16.1
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 20.1
Chapter 21
Chapter 21.1
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 25.1
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27.1
Chapter 27.2
Chapter 27.3
Chapter 27.4
Chapter 28
Chapter 28.1
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 31.1
Chapter 32
Chapter 32.1
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34.1
Chapter 35
Epilogue
Stolen page - 1
Aries' POV: before meeting her
Aries POV: Lyra
Aries POV: the flame that does not die
Aries POV: an act of cowardice
Aries POV: first kiss
Aries POV: ripped apart
Character Review
Next in series

Chapter 2

82.2K 3.6K 807
By firedance_icesong

After saying the dreaded words, Cain left me to greet his friend like everything was normal. If anything, he left with an ear-splitting smile, without even pausing to see whether I followed him.

I sighed and gazed up. The moon which was smiling until now unfurled a shine of mockery. Did it know something I did not? Who knew? Perhaps, it knew everything. The moon was there even before life began and has seen the stories and tales no one would have thought possible. To it, my story might be just another wildflower amidst the rose garden.

My phone pinged and I fished it from my pocket. Alpha Ethan and his mate have returned. Please assemble at the Dew Clearing at 10 PM for the Mating Moon ceremony.

After reading the message, I sighed. Mating Moon was a ceremony that was unique to this pack, North pack and Autumn Pack. When the Alpha chose his/her bride, they would organise a night hunt. Other major packs had a barbeque night or an all-night dance ceremony.

The one who sent was Gamma Lyanne. There was a group on the phone where she could communicate with the young members and humans of the pack. To others, the pack link worked just fine.

Slowly getting up, I looked at my clothes and groaned at the sight of paint that was still there, bright and bold. Tying the lace of my sneakers, I glanced the lab. Soft lights murmured a song for the night. Seeing that, I called Cheryl.

She picked the phone on the third ring. "Lyra! I am just wrapping up. Aurelia had already left. You come and see if there are any changes."

"Okay." I cut the call and changed my direction towards the lab.

Just as I entered the main entrance, pressing my thumb to the biometrics, Cheryl came out.

"Security is high," Cheryl said. "It requires either your iris scan or mine."

"Perfect," I said. "I will go and log out for the day."

Nodding, she said, "Cat is calling me. I have to run. Bye!"

Shaking my head, I pressed the elevator, but the damned thing was still on the seventeenth floor. Grumbling, I took the stairs and walked where the computers were. 

Seeing Livvia's computer still awake, I sat in her seat and went to the website. From there, logged out. But the tab that was opened was far too interesting for me to resist.

The tab contained information about Warriors of Moon. They were a group of twelve people who protected the Royal family. It was said that there was not a single soul who could beat them. Sadly, no one knew what happened to them after what happened two years ago. It was like they disappeared the face of the earth. But then again, no one apart from the Royal family knew who they were.

As expected, the article did not contain any more information than I already knew. But it did say that more than half the population thought they were nothing but a myth. Who would believe the whispered rumours of the palace? After all, last time the common people sighted them, it was more than a hundred years ago.

It just said how four out twelve Warriors represented Amaris, other four Kamaria and last four Chandra. This did perk my interest, but the lack of information made me gave up on it. Why was Livvia searching about them, anyway?

Shrugged, I checked the security Cheryl had done and went to my lab and checked it all the samples were perfectly placed. Once I was satisfied with the way, I switched off the main for all the computers and left the building.

Usually, my walk from the lab to my house or the packhouse was tranquil, but today, it was noisy. Wincing, I saw my watch showing the time at 9 PM. Cursing, I nearly ran to the packhouse.

Cars were parked out the garage and the lights were up. I smiled at the sight. The lights on the newly painted building did cast a glow, that tried to rival the stars above.

I placed my thumbprint and the door to the packhouse opened. Thankfully no one was there. Racing down the well-lit corridor, I nudged the door to Livvia's room. It was locked. I groaned. Livvia had never locked her door and tonight was the night she was sensible enough to do it?

Kicking the door, I nudged the next room's door. Aurelia's door gave way beneath my hand. Raising my eyebrows, I peeked in to see Reece dabbing some powder on her cheeks.

She was gorgeous in her full-length red dress. Her black hair was styled into a Hungarian braid and her brown eyes were rimmed with red mascara.

When our eyes met in the mirror, she stopped her actions and gasped. "What are you doing, Lyra? And in that dress? I thought I was late and they sent you to fetch me when I scented you."

I reached for the jug and gulped some water. "You have no idea."

Shaking her head, she pulled me in. Placing her compact on the dressing table and she opened her sister-in-law's wardrobe and snuck her hand in. Pulling out, she held an olive green full-length gown trimmed with silver leaves. It had a spaghetti laced neck and the left hand was full, and would no doubt reach till the wrist. It had whorls and patterns of silver. All in all, it was a dress I would prefer for a formal occasion.

"Here." She held it out for me. "Aurelia and I planned this for your birthday as a present. Seeing you need a dress badly, have it. Think it of a gift given earlier. Your birthday is just four days away, anyway."

I stared at her. "I could hug you."

"I prefer you not," Reece said, placing the dress on the bed. "Wipe yourself with a towel and come out soon. We have less than fifteen minutes."

Removing my sneakers, I went into the washroom.

Discarding my ruined tank top and jeans, I placed a towel under the water and let it soak. As much as I wanted to bath, I would need my inner wears and they were in a drawer in my room, located on the first floor in my house, where I could not go. If I have to go in, it would require my thumbprint and it would notify my mother. If she knows it, I will never hear the end of it.

Wiping my skin of the traces of paint, I released my brown hair from my bun and washed my hair in the sink. Before the water could drip from my hair, I took another towel and wrapped it around the rebellious locks. Finally, I scrubbed my face and opened the door to see a seething Reece.

"You took twenty minutes, Lyra!" she shrieked. "We have only like five minutes left."

I snorted and picked up the dress. "It's not like I am important, Reece. If you want, you go."

She cleared her throat and folded her arms across her chest. "Not important? How so? Please enlighten me."

I rolled my eyes. "I am a human, Reece. I have no wolf or beast. And this is the ceremony for the new Alpha. The naming of the Alpha. How can I be important here?"

Reece strode towards me with fire in her eyes. Her onyx hair did nothing but to enhance the anger on her face. She held me by my shoulders and shook me.

"You are the beta's daughter!" she said quietly. "Delta's sister. You are a part of the pack, just as everyone is. If anyone has anything to say against it, they have to go through me, my mate, Aurelia, Livvia, the twins, your siblings, your parents and not to mention the alpha pair. And many others will stand by you. You are needed for the ceremony tonight. I don't know why my wolf says it's necessary for you to be present."

I gulped.

"So wear it and I will style your hair." She took a few steps back for me and motioned me to wear the dress.

Taking a deep breath in, I stepped into the dress. The dress that fit me snugly like a second skin till my waist beyond which it allowed even the slightest breeze to tease it. Pulling the zipper up, I heaved a sigh and looked at Reece.

"Had I not met Mike, Lyra," Reece whistled. "I would have marked you as mine."

I swept my gaze over her and shrugged. "And I would not have minded it."

Then she locked gazes and burst into laughter. We knew where the boundaries were drawn.

She pulled a chair and said, "Come here."

Taking my seat, I said, "Just free hair, Reece."

She gave me a face but proceeded to just remove my tangles. Having silky straight hair had advantages sometimes.

Getting up, I applied light lip gloss and Reece handed me a gold eyeliner, something I became obsessed with ever since I read Hunger Games.

Grinning at her, I wore it and nodded at her.

"How late are we?" I asked Reece, who was going through Aurelia's shoe stack to find me something.

Going through Aurelia's collection of shoes was a nightmare of its own. That girl loved shoes and owned it.

"Leave it, Reece," I said. "Sneaker that I am wearing it just fine."

"Sneakers for that dress?" she turned around and gave me a bewildered look.

"The dress covers up," I said, wearing the sneakers again.  "We are late, aren't we?"

Reece's gaze left my sneakers that were now safety hidden beneath the folds of my dress to the clock that was hanging in the wall, showing time to the shadows that danced.

She gasped and shot up. "We are late by twenty minutes!" Grabbing my hand she began pulled me out of the room and shut the door behind us. "Everyone is going to kill us."

Without mercy, the girl ran the corridors with her six-inch heels, dragging me with her. At times I paused to wonder how she ran with her stilettos.

Walking out of the packhouse, we reached the clearing where the ceremony would take place. A dais was there in the centre, on which, Alpha Charles and Alpha Violet stood. They were dressed for impeccably for the ceremony. Alpha female Violet was dressed in a silver gossamer gown that made her radiant as the moon above. Her hair was pulled in a bun and her face had a bright smile, or so one who did not know her would assume. Alpha Charles was in a navy blue tux, his silver hair swept to one side. He, much like his mate had a smile on his face. But a second later, he took Violet's hand in his and squeezed.

The crowd before us gave way, acknowledging me as the beta's daughter and Reece as the head trainer of females. As I walked to the front where my family stood, Reece found her mate who raised his eyebrows suspiciously at us.

"This girl!" Aurelia swore lowly behind me. "Why is she in that dress? Reece better not have given it to her!"

Cheryl muttered something about her present being safe.

Finally reaching where my family stood, I tapped Rhaze's shoulder, "Where are they?"

The delta of the pack almost turned, but then, she focused on the pathway, the crowd made towards her right. "What are you wearing? Where is the one mom selected for us tonight?

I grimaced. "I know. I came in late and Reece gave me this."

"Just stay behind me," she hissed. "Ethan and Harper will be here anytime."

"Are they late?" I asked.

"Yes," Rhaze whispered back. "Harper wanted a few minutes' of rest."

Nodding, I hid behind my sister and craned my head in the direction where everyone was seeing.

Mom realised that I stood behind Rhaze, almost yelped. "Lyra!"

"I am sorry," I whispered, pushing my brown locks behind my ears. "I got lost in time."

She bit back a growl. As the female beta, perfection was expected from her.

"Where is pa?" I asked.

Rhaze jerked her towards the pathway. "There. He will bring the new Alpha and his mate."

"Cain?"

"Coming with Ethan."

I nodded. "Gamma Lyanne?"

"Had you been here two hours ago, you would have known what everyone is supposed to do," mom said curtly. "You got 'lost in time' and now you are not even wearing the one I said you should. You are out of the pattern."

Only then I noticed Livvia, Gamma Lyanne's daughter wearing a black dress. Rhaze was in grey and I was supposed to be in white. We were to represent the three Daughters of the Moon.

Livvia craned her neck back and whispered. "Don't worry, girl. You're rocking in that dress."

When her mother tapped her hand sharply, Livvia fell in line. So there was Gamma Lyanne.

The noise of cheering and hooting withered away. An eerie silence filled the clearing which was supported by the nightlife.

Then the torches flared to life at once. The fire cast an ethereal glow and the embers chartered among themselves.

It was wisps of orange, yellow and red, hissing something in a language that said I know. Something in my blood called out to the fire.

Then the drums began. Slowly and rhythmic. It set a pace, which my heart copied. Winds stirred and the flames wrangled back.

As much as I wanted to listen to their banter, my father came through the pathway in a black tux.

He met my mother's eyes and a sliver of hardness dimmed. Then his gaze shifted to Rhaze, who held his gaze with equal hardness. Whatever he saw there, he was proud of it.

Then his eyes met mine. His face softened further.

Without pausing at us, he climbed the dais and allowed his friend to greet him.

Behind him, a female came. She was like liquid silver. She was towheaded and her eyes were the palest blue I have ever seen in my life. Even those were rimmed with silver. Her cheekbones were high and her thin lips were pressed in a smile that did not settle well with me.

But the dress she chose to wear was carefully thought. The dress covered only her breasts and her groin. The material over other region was transparent. It was a perfect dress for the ceremony. Tonight, the alpha would mate with his female under the stars.

Her steps were measured. She did not see anyone or anything apart from the fire that was lit on the dais.

She walked with a confidence that I knew I would never possess. An aura of dominance washed over me. And something rebelled within me.

I forced myself to see her. Harper.

That was the exact second she turned and saw us. When those icy blue eyes met mine, it widened. What did she see?

She was the first to break the stare. Her gaze shifted over the crowd and settled on me again. Masking her surprise, she turned to meet Alpha Violet.

I tore my gaze from her and peered over others. They had bowed their head. Even Rhaze and my mother were bowing. Some of the omegas were on their knees. Was her dominance that profused? And how was I able to resist that power?

Then it began slowly. Something began stirring within me. It started as a tingling sensation from my heart and it slowly but steadily crept to the rest of my body through my blood.

Rubastosis settled in and my heart rate rose. Beads of sweat rolled down my spine. If I concentrated well, I could literally feel the blood rushing. They seemed to be in a hurry. For what, I did not know.

My toes curled and I fisted my hands.

Then my senses became defined by a thousand times. My eyes were the first to become clear.

The air became crystal clear with dust suspended in them like tiny stars. The flames did nothing but to bounce off them, making them look like fairy dust right from children's stories.

The flames became more pronounced. Outlined with a fine layer of teal blue and emerald green, it gave way to golden yellow, sunset orange, crimson orange and then finally sable black.

I blinked. Since when I was able to see this?

Then my ears caught the heartbeats of every shifter in that clearing. Along with it was the cacophony of insects. Even the slightest rustle of breeze was amplified.

While I was relishing these feelings, a scent that grappled my soul wafted through my nose. It was citrus and mint. The scent froze my existence and my eyes searched for the source of it.

Ethan walked out, tracing Harper's footsteps. He was wearing only a black pant. His muscles rippled off with every step. His skin had adopted a tan, and with the sweat that clung to him, it literally shone dimly under the burning torches.

Black hair, like his mother, had grown long during the time he was away that reached his shoulders. He had tied a small knot with it and left a few strands free.

And his eyes, a copy of his father's was something I could stare at all day. They were not just blue. His eyes had dark hue towards the rim of black and converged to a lighter shade towards his iris. They were like the ocean, starting slowly and then becoming deep, holding secrets that went beyond the measure of time.

He walked toward the dais and before how could climb a step, he paused and he turned.

Harper who was conversing lightly with Violet stopped and glared at her mate. Even the shards of ice would have been less sharp.

His beautiful eyes stopped scanning the crowd when it fell on me. It was only then, I realised the entire clearing had gone silent.

Another realisation hit me. The scent of citrus and mint that I had become addicted to in the span of a few minutes of smelling it, happened to come from Ethan.

When I locked my eyes with him, I lost my other reasons to live. He was the only tether who was grounding me. Time withheld itself from racing with its friends of old. My ears specifically picked his heartbeat alone and my heart mimicked it.

All my senses revolved only around him. An insignificant voice kept repeating a word that I could not listen to.

Ethan's breath hitched and he took a step forward. Seeing Rhaze standing in his way, he growled. A sound that I felt it to my core. That one growl had set me on fire. A pleasurable shiver ran through me.

Rhaze moved away, cowering at his unsaid alpha command.

He closed in the few steps and stood just mere inches away from me.

"Ethan?" Cain called. Though he was close, he sounded far away.

Not allowing his friend to break the spell, closed the gap between us and buried his face in the crook of my neck.

His hands went around my waist and gripped it tight, as though I might disappear.

"Ethan!" Harper hollered from the dais, but we ignored her.

His canines grazed my supple skin and it was only then I jerked off the haze I was in.

It was only then I was able to hear the voice that was resonating in my head. It said one word. One word that jolted me back to reality. One word that might change everything. One word that made me realise that the female I had been pitying all morning was me.

Again and again, it said, "Mate."

This is an update for Diwali. So... Happy Diwali to all.

Dedicated to @_over-rated_   I love your theories :) They sometimes make me want to sway... ;)

Until the next update,
~Quill

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 4.3K 21
Lyla is an outgoing, friendly girl that gets along with just about everyone she meets. So why is it when her life is in shambles and she needs someon...
3.1M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
962K 32.8K 41
[Book 1] Series of Gods~ Lightning is the last of her kind, a Shifter, but she's something more. She has powers that are unbelievable, her mom and he...
2.1M 59.8K 36
MATE TRILOGY #1 | Being an orphan at the mere age of sixteen, Lyra Dane, with no place in the pack is faced with an ultimatum; to go Rogue or marry A...