In Too Deep Slippery Waters;

By StephanieEgberike

Anikka George is heartbroken because of the death of her father who had died in a plane crash leaving her h... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter 11
Chapter Twelve
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
Chapter 15
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
CHAPTER TWENTY
Twenty-One

Chapter Ten

390 17 5
By StephanieEgberike

CHAPTER TEN

*

It was the slicing pain to her head that woke her up. It numbs her for a fraction of second as she tried to  make sense of the pain and where it was coming from.

It was her head, the pain was coming from her head.

No, her body! Her entire body felt like she was hit by a truck.

She grimaces in more pain as she tried to open her eyes and get up at thesame time.

She felt hands and a voice stopping her,

''No please, stay Ma'am, you need to rest''

She didn't know that voice, she jolts up causing the pain to sear through her again

Strong arms pull her down ''Relax Ms. Aviella, you are fine, you are okay''

There were two people in the room, voices she didn't know and hadn't heard before, she opens her eyes.

''Who are you?'' she whispers in fear as the pain cuts through her again, she held her head, then another pain tears at her limp, she groans

''Get her some pain killers'' The man who is hovering over her says

''Who are you, what happened to me?'' she asks them, realizing that the person he spoke to wore a nurses's uniform and the man who spoke had on a suit, his looks were warm as he stared down at her.

''My name is Dr. Lester Kirk, and as to what happened to you, what last did you remember?'' he stands up turning on a pocket touch and then shining it into her eyes ''Relax Ms. Aviella-''

''Anikka''

''Ms. Anikka, what do you remember?''

She frowns trying to remember as she looks around, if he were a doctor and she was apparently a nurse, what the hell happened to her? she looks across him to see a mirror facing her, in shock she realized that what she felt hugging her head was a bandage and then her left shoulder felt heavy as well as...

''What happened to my cloths?'' she shrieked

Lester stares at her , realizing also that what she had on now wasn't what she had on when Lucas brought her to the hospital in the ambulance. He also knew that Lucas lived alone and that even if he had a maid, she wouldn't have been around when he got home at the dead of the night last night, which also meant that Lucas must have...with no choice whatsoever, had to undress her, because she obviously could not have remained in those soiled blooded ripped cloths. But then again, it wasn't his place to inform her.

''Ms. Aviella, please i need to know what you remember'' he asks her again

She pauses and looks up at him ''What happened to me? I..'' she turns away from him as it came back to her ''I was in a car with my bodyguard heading home when- '' her eyes grows big as she remembered ''A car was falling us and then he got out to investigate and the..another car came and then this man,he attacked me and then dragged me away into his car and i was screaming'' she shook in fear as the night replayed in her head ''I think they ran him off the road or something, my bodyguard and- oh  my God, he wasn't dead, he wasn't dead, because i think he came chasing afterwards and..'' she swallowed as her eyes pooled, ''I tried to fight the man and..''she held her head''That's it'' the pain shoots through her again.

He takes the aspirin brought by the nurse who came and stood beside him and hands it to her, he then seats opposite her and nods for the nurse to leave ''Please wait for me in the car, i would be done here soon'' he tells her staring back at Anikka

She nods, smiles at Anikka and then leaves

''Take that, it would help with the pain, Lucas would be here soon''

''Where is he?''

''He stepped out for a bit. so now back to you...'' he points to her head ''Your head was head to the window of the car, reports given by Lucas because he said he saw you being slapped and hit. Then secondly, the bruises and what not, he kinda had to take matters into his hands by running his car into the one carrying you away...so the accident causes those other bruises..the one to your shoulder and to your neck, which has been stitched and would heal in a few days or weeks.  For your head, you have a concussion, a slight swelling and thankfully no internal bleeding so, painkillers and a fell injections would do. You feel dizzy or any sort of discomfort, let Lucas know and he would get to me, but, i wrote down some prescriptions which he would get and-'' he was saying.

''Why aren't i in the hospital? And..if you said Lucas was the one that caused my accident, did he inform the police atleast of what happened? I mean we need to catch the guys who tried to kidnap me and...''she looks around for her phone ''My bag, my phone...where is it ..i mean i need to call the police and-''

''You were in the hospital but he took you out before the police came''

She pauses and then stares at him ''Why will he do that? When a crime happens the police should be contacted.''

''Yes, but..'' he rubs his jaw leaning forward ''Can i speak freely with you? I wouldn't know if Lucas would be pleased about it but..sometimes one has to think rationally''

She frowns ''Go ahead''

''The police did come looking for you''

''Okay, that means they were informed and needed to investigate the situation''

He is shaking his head ''That's the thing, it was the way they came. At the time of the accident and when the kidnapping happened, obviously no one knew who and who was involved, when Lucas arrived at the hospital, he didn't check you in, nor was the media or any other person on the scene at the time, so no one knew who you were. He left the scene before the police arrived and none of the paramedics had information of any of your identities..including the deceased and the other with a fractured skull, we eve asked for  them to be identified by families.''

''Oh my God, deceased?'' she covers her mouth

He nods ''Yes, apparently one of your attackers was killed during the chase and catch with Lucas. But go with me Ms. Anikka. No one knew who the identities of the people involved in the accident was. So when Lucas asked me to keep you off the records and told me who you were, i figured he was just being overly anxious over nothing until i almost got shoved to the wall when they came asking for you specifically.''

''And you said that Lucas told you to keep me off records?'' she clarified with a frown

''Yes, exactly!'' he nods

''Then how did they know i was involved in that incident?'' 

''My question to.'' he leans away and then rubs his jaw 

''You do not think the police has-'' her eyes shoots open

''I do not think anything Ms. Anikka, i am only stating my observation. And if what you are thinking is what i am thinking then that means Lucas is also thinking about it or have that is why he asked you to be off record. It could also just be plain coincidence or they got footage from the street cameras and stuff and possibly they care for your safety.''

''But we don't know that'' she points out

He shakes his head ''Nope. That is why my advice to you is to...'' he frowns ''find another bodygaurd''

''What?'' she is taken aback

''I mean no offence but...Lucas has been through alot. With who you are and who your father was and all this unclear circumstances, he shouldn't be dragged into anything that would be dangerous for him''

''He works in a freaking investigating agency, it's a dangerous business same as the force and what not'' her anger was visible, who the hell was he to tell her what to do?

''Yes, but he doesn't know where to draw the line between when he should consider a case as a lost case or give up on one, he would follow it to the end, that is why he was a good cop, and one of the best bodyguard and that virtue is a dangerous one''

''So what you think my case is a lost case?''

''No, i feel that there are a lot of things going on here which doesn't concern me''

''Damn right it doesn't' she flairs

''But Lucas is the closet thing i got as a family, i need him to be safe''

''My father was killed for all i care, and i was almost kidnapped, you think i want to put another man in danger? I only asked for his services and if he can deliver i do not think it's any choice of yours'' she frowns

He sighs ''I know, my apologies, just looking out for a brother and if i am to give you an advise, if your father was really killed, i think you should put yourself at a safe distance between this place and yourself,. You are the sole heir to all that he owned, so it makes sense that people would come after you..if going by the fact that he was really killed, so you need to protect yourself, your father's assets and move on, that means going back home and control affairs from there''

''How can i control affairs from afar when they do not even want me as the CEO?''

He smiles ''You find away around it, sack them all and stuff''

''Can't sack them off, they are board members and they hold shares, i can only buy them off if they are willing to sign and ofcourse none would. '' she grimaces in pain as she tried to seat up comfortably, he quickly gets up and adjusts the pillow for her. She frowns staring down at the shirt she had on.

She was naked underneath. She pulls at the duvet to cover her revealed thighs, Leister smiles reading her thought knowing that she might bite Lucas's head off.

''Look, i think you both got your heads way too deep into this that is all''

''You care far much more for a man you say is your friend''

He smiles , getting up ''Take your meds Ms. Anikka, Lucas should be home soon and he said to let you know that he informed your lawyer about this incident''

''That means he should be on his way here?''

He shakes his head ''Lucas doesn't give information to people of where he lives, its for security reasons. I hear there was a situation at your father's company, he would brief you. Call me if you have any sort of discomfort'' he hands her his card and grabs his bag, zips it and then turns away

''What situation?''

He pauses, stares at the tv, which she didn't notice was on but was muted, he reaches for the remote and the turns on the volumn.

''Oh my God!'' she shrieks

''Lucas briefed me on the internal audit you wanted carried out, and it appears that while your kidnap was supposedly taking place, your company was being robbed supposedly but the media can't tell if anything was stolen. One of the audit survivors stated that they burnt up all the audit papers gathered from the various branches headed by the board of directors and their wallets and phones was taken before they left. Killing about one or two persons. Now, is this mere coincidence or planned? You decide. Maybe you would understand my reason for either picking a different bodyguard or dropping all this altogether and save yourself..this right here doesn't happen to random people. Lucas won't listen to me, maybe you can.'' he walks away leaving her staring agape at the screen showing a section of her father's company and a dried out black smoke .

She searches for her bag, she needed her phone to call Teneka, to call anyone, to find out the situation of things.

''Oh my God, oh my God!'' she kept repeating as she struggled up, finding her way out of the bed, the room and finds herself in a spacious living room. Looking everywhere for any sign of her bag hoping that he brought it out of the car.

She found her way to the door and realized that it was looked, she goes back to the room, worry creasing her forehead at loss of what to do. 

*

Teneka is backing the board of directors present, he is staring at the mad house below them.

''We do not need this bad publicity, we do not'' someone is saying

''This is bad luck, before she came we have never had this kind of situation, not even when her father was alive''

''We have to sort out the families of the deceased'' someone else is saying ''There are threatening to sue us, this is bad, really bad!'' he finishes

''Why are we complaining? When i had asked that we all vote her out what did i get? The lot of you chickening out'' Gapon Gilles stares at them

A man laughs ''We? You were the one to quickly sit down when she asked who is ready for a buy out!'' he laughs ''Never saw you put your ass to your seat faster than a jack on jin all because of a little girl threatening you''

Gapon closes his fist ''You wouldn't like to continue running your mouth Mark''

''Why? Does it offend you Gapon?'' Mark sneers at him

Gapon smiles ''Only time would tell of how offended i am''

''Is that a threat?'' Mark leans forward

''I don't make threats Mark , i just speak''

Teneka sighs turning to them ''I really do not understand you all i don't. A while ago you all supposedly worshiped George and would sleep on the ground he walked on. Yes you all must have had your differences with him but still, most of you sang his high praises''

''Because he is and was a  good man'' Gapon nods

''So why are you all in a haste to cast away his daughter?'' he needed to understand

''Because the apple sometimes falls far from the three'' He replies

''That is a fact you don't know!'' Teneka points out leaving the window, ''For all we know she might outlive her father's legacies and do much more than he did..you all just have to give her a chance to show that she can pick up from where her father stopped and do things even better''

Gapon laughs ''How well do you know her Mr. Teneka, for all we know you are just George's lawyer, was his lawyer and infact, you have no reason to be here and i am wondering why you called for meeting when someone else is supposedly running the show''

Teneka smiles ''I know you don't like me Gapon''

''Wrong, Gapon doesn't like anyone aside himself and his shit'' Mark blurts out, everyone laughs, Gapon doesn't, he may not like Mark,but atleast he was right 

''Don't take it personal'' Gapon stares at Teneka ''I find it hard to trust people i haven't seen their true colours and you are..someone i can't quite understand what coin's side you are on''

''I am for the right side, justice and what not. I am a lawyer afterall and i go by the rules of the book'' he seats down, staring at all of them, reading their expressions, making sure to catch their expressions on what he is about to say, it would help in identifying the culprit, if he/she is in the room. The women of the board was mostly passive members, the two of them, it's the men he is mostly concerned about,.

''And what does this rules say?'' Another of the board members asks

''That Miss Anikka Aviella Thomas George runs things, here on out, no matter how much you likes it or not and that it doesn't matter that the incident with the robbers happened, she would still carry out an audit and fish out any lapses in branches which you run and that despite she was nearly kidnapped and killed, she is alright and this is her message to you 'you can't take me down easily, i am coming for you, so watch your backs'' he finishes and then stares at them as they all begin to murmur, the women gasps, Gapon Gilles and Mark remained in cool control giving out no readable expression.

He frowns

''What do you mean, she was kidnapped?''

''How, when, is she okay? Was the police involved?''

''How come we didn't hear about this from the news?''

''What did she mean by that, why are you telling us this, does she suspect that someone from this room carried out a foul play?''

''What is going on?''

''Is she okay? Where is she?''

''How come the news didn't carry this? Is George's daughter okay? Who tried to kidnap her, how is this connected with the robbery incident of the office last night?''

The questions came flying, Gapon and Mark hadn't spoken a word

''As of this moment, it is not public knowledge because Ms. Anikka doesn't want the spotlight'' he noted to them, watching each and every one of them. ''Are you not worried Mr. Gapon, Mr. Mark, you both seemed unconcerned about your new CEO's delima'' he points out as everyone looks at them

Gapon smiles ''I am waiting for the moment when you tell us this is a joke. Because i don't believe you. Did she put you up to this? Is that why she asked you to call up a meeting and tell us this fictitious lies?''

''It is not a lie Mr. Gapon. Ms. Anikka was attacked on her way home last night''

''How come the media didn't carry it being that she is top priority?'' he asked

Teneka shrugs ''For security reasons''

Mark frowns ''Then where is she? If what you say is true, how did she escape, who tried to kidnap her? has the police being informed?''

Teneka shakes his head ''Right now, for her safety i won;t disclose her whereabouts, but she wanted you all to know that she would be back on her feet in no time and continue with her duties as the CEO. Regards of the files burnt, she would need access to your accounts managers and the procurement units and all other information that would enable a team of which she intends to put together to carrying out information from scratch from all your branches. Like i said, she isn't about to let this little issue deter her. '' he smiles, Gapon frowns, others seemed uncomfortable

''She needs to inform the police, if she is scared of her safety, '' Gapon tells him ''Ask her to call the police, she can't possibly believe that someone from the board of directors is after her life? I mean that is a huge accusation Mr. Teneka, she thinks like a child i tell you. Want if it was a random attacker, i mean she came here flaunting herself,  the entire city knows who she is and stuff and her stake in the company, ofcourse people are looking to getting rich quick and kidnapping a high profiled daughter might have been a good luck charm to them.'' he states staring at everyone for approval as they nod ''It is only advisable that she contacts the police to handle the case. And concerning her safety and that she feels her life is being threatened, then she should stay away, we can manage things on her behalf, right?''

''Right!''

Teneka laughs ''No, Ms. Anikka would manage just fine. Now please gentleman, allow me brief you on the various things she requires to be done in her absence'' he began to talk, Gapon looks away, fiddling with his phone

''The bodyguard with her, wasn't he supposed o protect her? I am assuming that is what he was there for right? I mean the man who was with her the last time?What was his name again?'' he cuts him without staring at him immediately, he only raised up his head when Teneka scoffs slightly before he spoke.

Teneka drops the file he held and then leans away ''I do not believe i gave out his name even that time because i felt then it was irrelevant and that hasn't changed. So can we go back to this please?'' he points at the documents ''And to your question as to what i am still doing here, i am her lawyer because she retained me so right now which means i would be in all your faces whether you like it or not. Think of me as her ''hand'', if you love series like the game of thrones, you would understand what the hand does in her absence.. '' he laughs, no one joined in, he clears his throat with a smile and then continued. By the time he was done with the meeting, everyone left angry.

He goes down to speak to the reporters about the incident of fire and robbers, left out the ''all-most-kidnap'' of Ms. Aviella and told them that the company would reach out to the families of the deceased and would ensure to tighten security around the premises so that it doesn't happen again.

When he was asked abut Anikka, he told them that she was busy and unable to attend to them because she had other dire matters to attend to. 

Done, he reaches for his phone as he made his way upstairs trying to dial Lucas when someone blocks hos vision, it was Gapon.

''What game are you playing Teneka, you and i know that George wasn't your best man''

Teneka smiles ''I told you already, i am playing nothing, why do you bother me so?''

Gapon stares at him ''Tell her to step down''

''Unless what?''

''You do not understand, she would ruin her father's company because she doesn't have the foresight to run things and-''

''It is her father's company, let her ruin it!!''

Gapon folds his fist ''I have worked so hard to have a little girl come here and take it off under my feet, i have a family and-''

''Is that why you had her kidnapped?'' he tested the waters, Gapon takes steps towards him, Teneka moves back

''Are you accusing me of something Teneka?''

''No Gapon, it's a yes or no answer, but all i see is you breathing fire, why is that!?''

''If didn't have anything to do with that, i was a surprised as everyone when you said she had an incident last night''

''Surprised or displeased that it didn't work out as you wanted?''

He takes more steps closer to Teneka, tempted to smash his head to the wall ''Be careful, the waters you are walking in are slippery Teneka''

''I only want what's best for her and fulfill her father's wishes and it would be nice that everyone is on board. So forgive me if i don't exactly trust you all with her..simply put.''

''Right, when you do speak to her, give her my regards and to prove how loyal i am to her father i would contact the police to investigate her case thoroughly, whoever did this must be caught!!''

''Indeed!'' Teneka nods ''Indeed, they must and they will!''

Gapon stares at him one more time, ''The bodyguard would keep her safe i presume, what agency does he work for?  Surely he would need the best hands to help him''

''You seem overly interested in this bodyguard Gapon'' he squints his eyes

''George was my friend, Anikka is like a daughter..she is the same age as my daughter, surely i would want to make sure she is safe''

''She is, very, now if you would excuse me.'' he sidesteps him and then turns at the foot of the stairs ''Please, the reports as discussed in the meeting, i would like to have it, Ms. Anikka would take out time to look through them once she is back to work'' then he disappears.

Gapon curses under his breath, exits the building and makes his way home, he dials Geti Richards ''Tell me you have found her or the asshole of the bodyguard at least?''

*

Geti Richard stares at Lucas who was backing him and hadn't answered his question, he has his phone to his ear and wondering what to tell Gapon ''I am on it, ..'' he began

He was quiet, Gapon was wailing angrily, he steps away, further away from everyone and apologizes profusely in low voice, trying to calm Gapon down ''I will get them, i promise Sir, we combed the entire city, still on it, no she can't have left the city, no evidence of an exit Sir, please..yes..i would..''he lets Gapon scream some more, then he apologized some more. 

The line dies, he cleans the sweat that had broken on his forehead. He turns back to stare at the two of them and then at the one backing him, something seemed off about him.

''I asked you a question, how did you get that injury?''

Lucas turns and then faces him ''Ball''

''Ball?''

''Yes, a ball and then  a bat, i got a soft head, but doctor says i would live. Is there a problem officer?''

''It is Chief Geti Richards'' he corrected.

Oh, Geti Richards, the one who came by the hospital looking for her?

Lucas frowns slightly, ''Right, is there a particular reason you are here..chief? You got a team of men with you so i assume there is a problem'' He eyes the men who patiently stare at him

Geti nods ''Yes, have you seen her?'' he shows him Anikka's picture

''We already told you, he is working an infidelity case and-'' David began, Geti cuts him

''I am speaking to him'' he points to Lucas, ''Not you''

Lucas takes steps forward, doesn't touch it but bend to scan, then he straightens up ''It depends, why are you looking for her?''

David and Kelvin exchange looks, so did the other officers

''You know where she is? She is top priority and there was an incident in which she was involved in, we want to make sure she is out of harm's way. So again, where is she?''

''She came here alright, to ask for a bodyguard-''

''Did she now?'' Geti smiles

''Yep''

''And?''

Lucas returns the smile''Have you ever been to the hospital and needed to confide in the doctor?''

''What does that have to do with anything?'' Geti frowns

''Have you heard of the confidentiality agreement between the doctor and a patient?''

''What does that have to do with anything?'' Geti repeats angrily

''Let me explain what it means in clear terms- i really don't have to tell you shit!'' Lucas folds hims arms

''Luc!'' it was Kelvin, he shook his head, Lucas ignores him

''You do realize that i am the Chief of Police and -''

Lucas laughs ''Yeah, so? i mean you walk into my SI agency looking for a random chick , no clear information on why you are looking for her and you expect me to give out information to you? I didn't see your ID nor a warrant to ask me questions. ''

Geti takes a step closer to him ''You seem to want to sleep in  a cell Mr.''

''Nope, exercising my rights as a licensed SI. I have jurisdiction rights over my affairs and offer every walk in customer including you..chief, that means that i can't just tell anyone who walks in here even about you right now, do you understand?'' he smiles ''But, just so you know i am a good citizen and i hate to be an obstruction of justice, -'' he reaches for the picture and then stares at it again, chuckling ''Damn, my bad, she isn't the one. My mistake'' he smiles at him ''Sorry!'' he steps away, 

''Excuse me?'' Geti was confused

''She isn't the woman who came looking for a bodyguard'' Lucas repeats it slowly as though he was ta

''Wait..you just said--'' Getil=

Geti raises an eyebrow ''What is your name?''

''Lucas Hemsworth'' he straightens up ''Nice to meet you'' he stretches his hands to Geti who ignores it. 

''We would be back, if and when we do find anything  wrong''

''You do that Chief..'' Lucas waves as Geti throws him one final look, then exits the building with the officers

David and Kelvin come to him as he watches them enter their car and leave.

''The fxxk mehn, you got a death wish?'' David exclaims

''You do realize that we were trying to save your ass before you walked in and now you just showed up and implied that you not only know her but she came here and that means-''

''Relax guys'' Lucas cuts kelvin ''I threw a bait..and he catch it.'' he turns away as he goes to the desk

''Okay, what is going on?'' Kelvin seemed worried.

Lucas is going through files and documents, he put a files in his bag as he turns, perching on the desk and folding his arms 

''What incident is he referring to?''

Lucas rubs his jaw

''You look like shit Luc, what the hell happened to you and don't give me that cock and bull story of Ball and bat''

Lucas smiles folding his arms ''Ms. Anikka was nearly kidnapped last night, good thing i acted fast. Got her to the hospital but didn't go through the process''

''Leister?''

''Yes. ''

''Okay, what does this have to do with the police searching for her as though it's case''

He shrugs ''That's what i want to find out, no one aside me and Leister which i told knew the identity of those involved last night. There were two guys in the chase, i don't think one made it alife and i have no idea the state of the other. But..but..how did they know she was involved, that's the issue''

''Street cams maybe?''

''It was dead in the night Kelvin, plus we were off routes and the Palm areas..there were no cameras and even if there were, she wasn't using a registered car in her name, plus she wasn't standing visibly in the open to be identified and most importantly if there were cameras, it would take them an hour or two to get to the tech units by the dead of the night and then view..but the window of them showing up at the clinic and looking for her means that there is something fishy''

''You think the cops are dirty?''

''I don't know, and i am not saying they are. I am testing the waters and i threw a bone. So if the cops are dirty..i know they would come for me. ''

''That's why you answered them without exactly answering them but pissing them off?'' David screws up his face

''Yep''

''But what if they do Luc, cases that informs the police, not just the police but Chief..dude you need to take step back.''

He smiles pushing himself up ''I got a job to do, wasn't it both of you that kept blabbing about how famous and good hearted her father was?'' he points to them

''Well..yes but...'' Kelvin stutters

''But what? She thinks her father was killed, and with this almost kidnap, plus if you watched the news you would see what happened with her company yesterday. This isn't random coincidence, i am starting to believe her and you know i hate to leave cases unsolved'' he smiles wrly

''Sadly we do. You know we gat your back right?'' David says remembering something ''Now somethings are becoming vaguely connected, Kelvin you remember that drunk that walked in claiming she was in danger?''

Lucas turns ''What drunk?''

Kelvin nods ''Yeah yeah i remember him. He was a  drunk, he spoke plenty things that didn't make sense about keeping her safe and putting to the TV which had her picture showing at the time, he kept saying no one wanted to help him nor listen to him to protect her and that she is in danger bla bla bla''

''What did he look like?''

David and Kelvin tried to describe him, suddenly the picture they painted of the drunk became familiar to Lucas

''Whoa, that means he would be thesame dude who came to the office one time and kept on spewing about a dude on the poster and how good people died and was ripped off and all that?'' Lucas tries to recollect what the drunk had said paraphrasing it word for word  ....''Good people don't last. They die, like dogs. What do you do when you see good people in pain?. How do you help them? No one can be trusted. Sometimes you are too late. But you help protect those who mean alot to them. Good people don't last. Just like him..they get ripped away.. Tossed at sea.. Carried away to their death. And those who matter to them, are left with pains to bear... You cannot safe them but you can help their beloved.. Is that not so? But no-one is to be trusted.. No one. Apples don't just grow in the gardens, you plant them. Thorns don't just prick you, you have to touch them. You sow and you rip, you rip and yet you did not sow, yet everyone wants to harvest''

David and Kelvin screw up their faces even more ''Is it just me or it sounded as though he was speaking in parables?''

David chuckles ''I told i was the only one who wasn't understanding'' they laugh, Lucas doesn't

''Find him''

''What, the drunk?''

''Yes, he must obviously know something and now come to think of it, i think he was thesame drunk Anikka was talking about, he was the first person who made her believe something was wrong''

''Ohhhh Anikka now huh?'' Kelvin hooted, David roars in laughter

''You both are dickheads'' Lucas didn't resist a silent laugh ''Ms. Anikka Aveilla''

''No, Anikka, even the way you called the name made my heart flutter like a lady ''Oh Lucas, oh my Anikka'' he teased mocking him ''I hear she is pretty in person, is she?'' he winks at him

''Didn't notice, look i don't mix business with pleasure Kelvin, that's my motto and i always stuck to it..''

''Right! Change is the only constant thing but don't get us wrong bro, you need a woman in your life, don't you get tired of that cold bed and no warmth to slip into every once in a while''

''I get enough of warmth if i wanted David, just not interested for now and whoooaaaa what the hell? How did we get from talking about her case to talking about my love life?''

The two guys smile at each other ''Have no idea, talk just flowed, maybe the spirit is speaking, you should listen''

''Assholes!'' he points to them heading towards the door as they roar in laughter ''Find that dude'' he pauses at the door ''If they do come again, you know the drill?''

''Always''' they chorused 

''Be careful.!''

''I will and oh...do me one more, run a background check on Geti Richards, the chief. Also on a certain Gapon Gillies. Infact, i was doing some digging -'he comes back to them ''I think if i want to properly investigate, i need to start from the beginning so that means everything -anything. I can use it to crosscheck on all i have gathered.''

''We are going to split the pay 50 on all sides?'' David winks

''Are we sharing the injurious and bullets?'' Lucas inquired

''Naaaaa...!''

Lucas laughed ''Just random checks okay, and ..if you get any red alert abort''

''Aye capt!'' David and Kelvin salutes

''I swear you guys are the stupidest fellows i have ever had to work it''

''We love you too'' they laughed as he existed.

*

His phone rings a she makes his way to the car , ''Yes Teneka''

*

''So, i did as you requested.'' Teneka is staring at the files on his desk

*

Lucas puts the car on drive, he should get back, he wondered if Leister was able to check in on her and if she had eaten what he left in the microwave, he dropped a note, hoped she saw it.

''And?'' He makes a turn and then began driving into town, looking at his mirrors and seeing if he was being followed. Not yet.

*

''Well, as you suspected, Gapon didn't seem surprised and there was another, Mark Kit, he and Gapon seemed awfully quiet with the news, the others made a lousy outcry of surprise but i wasn't fooled, no one scares squat about Ms. Anikka. ''

''I see, well, i am already looking into Gapon, possibly would had the other guy to the mix. Also for the other thing?''

Teneka nods ''Yes, they didn't seem happy about Ms. Anikka wanting to do more checks..so lets see who is first to go an arrange their ''House'' literally, any cleaning up we would be alerted, plus i had them send documents, it's all here but it looks too clean'' he chuckles

''You don't expect that a thief sends you his evidence would he?''

''Ofcourse not''

Lucas sighs ''Any how, the ball is already rolling, let's see who makes the first move''

''So how is she, where is she?''

*

Lucas smiles making another turn ''Safe and no if you think i would give my address, i won't. Just know she is safe and i would do my job or protecting her. And for her safety..i would be the only one who would be aware of her ''Movements''. You just give me her schedules for the office and all that, i would ensure she attends only what is necessary. Also, has the police come to you yet?''

''No!''

''They will.''

''Oh!''

''The situation with the company, how is that coming?''

*

Teneka stands up, his hand in his pocket ''Its been handled. Tell her not to worry.''

*

Lucas drives into his compound, turns off the car and then alights. He walks into his house and then walks into his room to find her staring at the TV. He frowns ''I will'' then cuts the call.

''You okay?''

She turns to him, her eyes teary ''I wonder what their families is going through i mean'' she sniffs ''I ..it's my fault, if i hadn't asked them to come audit, and made them stay and work the night, those robbers wouldn't have attacked and now...and now ..they are dead, and those survivors would be devastated and-'' she bursts into tears ''My phone..i need to call Teneka, i need to speak- to..i..oh my God!'' she covers her face and then wept.

Lucas stood staring down at her, he rubs his jaw, wondering what he should do. Sighing he goes to her and then bends, he gathers her into his arms as she shook in tears on his shoulders.

''Teneka is taking care of it, you need to relax''

She doesn't, he lets her cry. Soon she fell asleep, he lifts her back to the bed, covers her and goes back to work.

*

Tickkle is staring at the muted Tv, watching from the side of his eyes as his mother and brothers are having a discussion. Drawing slightly closer to eavesdrop.

''We have scanned the area..haven't seen her yet'' Greg frowns at the map he held and then drops on the table , Abetta stares hard at it

''What if we go by the company?''

''Mamma, that would be dangerous if we are caught snooping around'' Greg tells her

''I go Mama''

They turn, Tickkle get ups, staggers to them, a fresh bottle of gin  under his arm ''I go''

''No!'' Abetta turns away ''Don't ever butt in when we are talking again'' she warns him pointedly

Brandon raises an eyebrow ''But Mamma, he is useful, if we go lurking around a place like that we would get arrested and questioned but if he goes, he would just be a random drunk and no one would pay attention to him. ''

She stares at her sons, they nod, sighing ''You ruin this Tickkle, you would regret never been born''

''Yes Mamma, i find her, i find her'' he says scurrying out of the house ''I find her and keep her away from you '' he murmurs to himself as he disappears through the gate.

''Keep an eye on him Brandon''

''Yes Mama'' He follows after him

''If he tries to be smart, do not bring him back alive, you hear me son? I don't care if he is your brother and my son..no son of mine would come between me and my green pastures...no son!"'

He doesn't say anything, he throws a look at Greg before leaving.

''Mama'' Greg comes to her , ''It is not his fault..''

''Every-time i look upon him, i desire to run a knife through his heart...it is his fault, it is his fault and i did not regret killing his father, i wont bat an eyelid if he died'' she turns away ''We are running out of time, if we don't get Anikka soon, get what we deserve, we would lose out and i won't lose out, i refuse..is everything else in place for our escape when we get the transfer of documents and assets?''

He nods

''Good.'' she leaves him staring after her ''Good''

*

Tickkle arrives at the company, he finds a place to perch opposite the gate, away from the scrutinizing eyes of passer-bys. He sat on the floor close to the branched garden and waited. It was cold, he wraps his worn out jacket about himself as he watched people going in a

It was getting dark; he was hungry. He grabs the gin, downed a good amount, soon he is asleep.

He had no intention of leaving until he found her, even if he has to wait here for days unending. He has to protect her, he has to, from all of them..especially her.

*

Brandon watches him from his car, it's been 7 hours. The last batch of staff just left, Anikka wasn't part of them.

He heard from passer-bys of what had happened about the robbers and the fire, he heard a few people died, he watched the news. She wasn't there. No one had seen her or has any idea of her whereabouts.

The lawyer said she was attending to business, that was what he told the news team who interviewed him. Maybe he would know where to find her.

Maybe he should tell his mother that they should corner him to produce her, yes maybe. 

He takes one more look at Tickkle, lying down on the cold floor, he starts the engine of his truck and then pulls away. He would be back in the morning.

*

Lucas is staring over her hours later, carrying a tray of food. He is frowning. The room was dimly lit.

He was a bodyguard not a nanny. She hadn't eaten all day and she had meds to take.

Really, what had he gotten himself into, to watch over an over-sized grown woman who was apparently not prepared for what the world intended for her.

He sits on the bed while dropping the tray. He taps her awake ''Ms. Anikka?''

She stirs up, murmuring inaudible words as she opened her eyes ''Wake up'' he repeats

He waits till her eyes were cleared, he helped her up. ''You need to eat  to take your meds, Doc says the drugs would knock you up some so you need to eat. Plus and i need to change your bandages'' he points at her injuries.  Once he was sure she understood him, He gets up and leaves her speaking over his shoulders ''I took the liberty of getting some essentials i know you ladies need, the bathroom is on your left. I left a clean shirt and towel for you in the bathroom incase you need to change. Try to not get your wound wet. I would help you with clean bandages when you are done'' he disappears.

Thirty minutes later he comes back with a bag. Leister had left some supplies in it. She was back to the bed, her head turned towards the window, the tray of food almost empty. He sinks to the bed as she turns, she pulls herself up to sit as she watched him open the bag and emptying the contents on the bed; bandages; cotton wool, spirits, drugs..possibly all that might be needed to clean her wound. She sighs.

He stares at her ''Can you turn?'' he inquired, nodding she turns to back him, pushing her head to the other side of her shoulders to reveal her injured shoulder and neck. He cleans her mouth and then changes the bandaged. She grimaced the entire time in slight pain. 

Done he tosses the soiled bandages into the bin. Anikka lays back on the bed.

''Thank you'' she murmurs, he nods and turns to leave , he stops as he heard her speak to him

''Where you the one- i mean...'' her chicks turn bright red, she clears her throat ''i mean..my cloths and-'' she bites her lips ''I would appreciate that you don't undress me ever again, i am sure someone else would have helped''

He raises an eyebrow turning ''You tell me thank you and then you scold me?''

She doesn't look at him. She was naked under his shirt, so he literally saw her in her baby-suit. what she  meant was that --, it wasn't as if she wasn't grateful to him for saving her and all albeit she getting injured, she was. God knows what those people wanted and what would have happened to her but still...he could have..argh! just not done it himself. He was her bodyguard who might probably not have any respect for her anymore now having  seein her naked, she..she felt awfully embarrassed to have had him see her..it was mortifying.

He shakes his head ''I should have left you in that bloodied cloth?''

''Just have someone else do it that is all...''

''Right. Are you done? Or do you have any more complains like, why are you in my house and not yours and ecetera?'' his voice was edgy.

She shoots her head to him ''Don't be arrogant!'' she snapped ''You are a paid service''

''Don't be ungrateful! I may be  a paid service doesn't mean i am a perv okay. So get that stupid thought out of your head, and if it makes you feel better, the room was dark..so i probably didn't see your old lady's body'' he snapped angrily

''My what?'' she gasps in disbelieve

''You heard me!'' she was annoying, a simple thank you was enough and what, okay ...he was a man who undressed her because she had blood stains all over and it was ripped, what kind of man did she think he was? 

''Don't insult me Lucas Hemsworth'' she points at him

''Look here rich daddy's girl, you should learn a few things about communication...just because you open your mouth to speak doesn't mean you should say everything that comes to your head. '' he tells her pointedly

''You don't know me to speak to me that way'' she pushes herself off the bed and glares at him once she came to stand face to face.

''I don't need to, so if you are done nagging and ranting like an old lady, i have paid work to do..you remember, like investigating the death of your father and why you were almost kidnapped?..Not about stripping you.'' he shakes his head and storms out of the room.

''Asshole!'' she mutters.

*

''Imagine that!'' he blurts out going back to the sitting room and murmured inaudible things to himself. ''She must think he was some pervert. Annoying. What am i supposed to do? Leave her like that, ofcourse not. She should have left it at a thank you instead trying to sound offended like i did something wrong. I don't hear her say thank you for almost getting myself killed to make sure she wasn't kidnapped. It's about undressing her? Like i have a standby maid or something'' he sighs talking to himself ''Silly rich girls and their messed up mentality'' he curses.

He opens his computer and went back to work. Kelvin and David sent him documents on the board members, he compares them to what he had gathered and made notes. As he continued to work, he began listing possible suspects, both from her father's murder and her almost kidnap from the list of board members of her father's company. He ended up having a few names on his list.

''Gapon Gilles, Mark Kit, Grethin Sloan, Debbi Andersan, Victor Andreas, Peter Macpete'' he repeats the name and puts a question mark to them.

''Geti Richards- police chief'' he continues to write. There was something off about him.

''Two john does'' he writes down. The men who had tried to kidnap her . He had asked Leister to send him their identification once he is able to identify them through a secured line.

He stares back at his lists, thinking.

''The Drunk'' he puts down. His list was increasing again. He tired thinking about anyone else. Remembering Anikka's recount of the lady who had drugged and waking up to find that she had two sons , he pens them down, after trying hard to remember her name ''Albeta and her sons'' he jots down instead.

''Teneka Lorde- father's lawyer'' he says putting down. As a man who had been in the force, the first thing he is taught is to always consider every one guilty. He laughs, he could bet that if he shows her this list of possible suspects, she wouldn't agree with him.

''14 names- that's alot of suspects'' he puts down his pen and then flexes his knuckles. He stares at the clock on the wall. It was late. Yawning he got up shutting down his computer and heads to his room, pausing at the door. 

He raised his hand to knock.

Wait, it was his damn house he didn't need to knock. But with their argument earlier, he wouldn't want her to go off like a mad woman as to why he walked in unannounced.

But still, anything to avoid an argument. Sighing he knocked, there was no answer, he knocks again, there was a faint ''Come in''. He did, 

''I need to take a shower so..'' he trails off, heading to pick out his pajamas from his wardrobe, clean underwear and towel. He disappears into the bathroom removing his shirt and was immediately absorbed in hot mist.

''The hell!!'' he bellows

Anikka who had been curled up on his bed jumps up and rushes into the bathroom.

*

TO BE CONTINUED

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

380 45 12
When Kate lost her father in a fire, she couldn't get her self to be in his shoes. She turned down her dad's job even though she was the best to be c...
250 1 42
As a journalist in Chicago's beautiful city, life is already a dream for Devorah Dobrev. She has her dream job with a reasonably good paycheck, a rea...
337 68 24
Nothing left my mouth as I stared at him in shock. He truly believed that I was part of this. The man, who I had lived with and served for months. Th...
82.4K 4.9K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...