Tides of Turmoil (NEWTINA)

By camellia_eagle

After the battle in New York, our dear heroes depart towards different paths. Yet, when a source of dark magi... More

Disclaimer
Chapter 1 - The Goodbyes
Chapter 2 - The Memories
Chapter 3 - The Meeting
Chapter 4 - The Encounter
Chapter 5 - The Pieces
Chapter 6 - The Professor
Chapter 7 - The Idea
Chapter 8 - The Visit
Chapter 9 - The Answer
Chapter 10 - The Scene
Chapter 11 - The Interrogation
Chapter 12 - The Mission
Chapter 13 - The Deal
Chapter 14 - The Story
Chapter 15 - The Breakthrough
Chapter 16 - The Glimpse
Chapter 17 - Ally or Foe
Chapter 18 - The Plan
Chapter 19 - The Net
Chapter 20 - The Brothers
Chapter 21 - The Reveal
Chapter 23 - The Monster
Chapter 24 - The Call
Chapter 25 - The Touch
Chapter 26: The Fourth
Chapter 27 - The Look
Chapter 28 - The Secrets
Chapter 29 - The Heart
Chapter 30 - The Team
Chapter 31 - The Tears

Chapter 22 - The Reasons

421 16 7
By camellia_eagle

I raised my hand and lowered Leta's straightened arm. I felt her eyes on me, and I could see her mouth go agape from the corners of my eyes. Yet, they were not enough to keep me from looking at the face of the woman in front of us.

Once close enough, the creatures started to fade away slowly. Their teeth were not showing anymore, their back was not in tension anymore as they stared at us. They sat down on the floor, feline-like, and disappeared into thin air. The woman's expression was calm, her face smooth and her hair white. 

Yet, after the creatures went away, her skin began to bubble, and her hair became shorter and turned from white to a silky black. From her pocket, she took out a wand and pointed it at her clothes, which began to transfigure into a dark, blue coat.

Before I could process what was happening, I had walked a few steps till we were both a foot away from each other. I smiled awkwardly, yet brightly, at her, not knowing what to say. But, as she answered me back with a radiant smile, I could think of nothing else. Our eyes never left each other's, the world around me suddenly fading away as I let myself be drowned by her warm eyes. After all this time, I had almost forgotten how beautiful she really was – a picture of her can never match the feeling I got to see her, right there, in front of me, after all this time.

'Hello Newt,' said Tina, her voice waltzing its way into my very core and warming it up.

'It's great to see you, Tina,' I replied, now fully smiling at her. She looked surprised for a bit, and yet, her smile grew even sunny. I don't know who went for it, but by the time I noticed what had happened, we were hugging with fervour.

Never in my life would've I had thought that I would be hugging Tina. The only time we were close to each other was at the death chamber in MACUSA – not a typical place to be so. And yet, even though I felt something awaken back then when I felt our arms around each other, or the warmth caused by the proximity of our bodies as they collided, I had never felt such a powerful emotion shake inside of me as at this moment. I felt her body relax, and I could feel mine do the same.

I ignore how long we stayed like that – it felt rather short – but a great number of rushing footsteps took us from each other's grasp. Still feeling a bit hot, I looked around to see silhouettes of Aurors running towards us. Why not just Apparate? I asked myself.

'This place is enchanted in such a way that it's impossible for anyone to Apparate or Disapparate from it,' said Leta as she guessed my thoughts. I glanced at Tina and noticed that her cheeks had turned a scarlet pink. Gulping, I looked away from her and faced Leta.

'Leta, what now?'

'We need to find a way out of here,' said Leta with urgency.

'Come on,' hissed Tina as she tugged on my arm; her face had turned cold and hard, and I felt an ache inside of me I couldn't place. Deciding to dwell about it later, I followed Tina into another corridor with Leta at my side. We ran as we heard many shouts from behind us, some spells being shot at us and nearly missing us by a hair. Finally, we reached a room and got inside it. We locked it and heard the footsteps of the Aurors pass us by. We all sighed in relief and turned towards each other. I looked at Tina, who was looking at Leta with bright eyes, and Leta was staring back for a while before looking away. She cleared her throat and began to pace, her back turned on us.

'We cannot stay here. There has to be a way out,' she said.

'There is one,' said Tina, her voice a bit icy, 'but I'm afraid it's far. We cannot go unnoticed, especially now that the Ministry is in full alert.'

'Who informed you that Newt was here?' asked Leta suddenly, turning fast to face Tina with crossed arms.

Tina's face was set like a statue. 'That does not concern you.'

'Leta, why are you asking this?'

'Newt, it's necessary. You might've chosen to believe that she isn't what the papers say, but we were given enough information to believe otherwise. She could be deceiving us; better safe than sorry.'

'I cannot prove wrong the papers,' replied Tina, her voice a whisper laced in warning, 'but, I can assure you that you can trust me.'

'Newt,' said Leta, looking at me, 'you cannot be this naïve. Not right now. We cannot –'

'I can,' I said firmly, maybe more than I should've, but it was true. And yet, Leta had managed to shade my heart with a small cloud of doubt. I glanced at Tina, whose face was softer than before and wore a thankful smile.

Leta was not ready to give up. 'Who sent you?'

'I cannot tell you. All I can tell though is that I came to save my friends from being French bait.' Tina walks a few steps towards Leta, each step taken with slow menace. 'If anyone in this room is to be doubted, it is you. What are you, a descendant from one of the great wizarding families in England, doing with the French Ministry? Why are you here? If it was a mere concern, I would've expected you to rely on your own Ministry. And yet, here you are. I'm very curious about the why.'

Leta held her composure with pride. 'It does not concern you, but I had my reasons. You wouldn't understand. It's of no concern to you what my choices are.'

'I think they are.'

'How so?'

'I know as much that this situation could've been avoided if you hadn't been informing the Ministry of Mister Scamander's whereabouts.'

'You are wrong!'

'Really? Convince me then.'

'It could've been avoided if Newt had never set foot in America.'

A silent pause followed, which ended with a sudden, distant shout from the other side of the door.

'We have to go,' I said, trying not to get snapped at by one of them.

They both seemed to agree that this conversation wouldn't help, given that it doesn't change the outcome. We all needed to get out of there. But then, I thought of something that made me back up a bit.

'Wait, Leta, you could help us get out of here. Listen, they are after me and Jacob – which I wish is safe by now – but you... you have their respect. They'll not suspect you.'

'So, you want me to do something that will give them reasons to do so?' she demanded, suddenly looking outraged. Seems like some things never change.

'I'm asking for a favour – that's all. Please...for old times' sake.'

I knew I was in no place to ask her something, but I needed to get my friends out of there. She looked momentarily puzzled, but her face shifted to one of understanding. Letting out a breath I was holding, I turned to Tina. Seeing the dark look in her face, I hesitated for a bit, debating whether or not to address her sudden mood.

'Tina,' I said as softly as I could master. She looked up to me, her eyes widen for a bit before turning to normal.

'I cannot stay here for long,' she simply says. Although her words were so simple, I felt this uneasiness on the chance of another meaning hidden behind them.

Yet, I decided to put it aside, knowing somewhat I'd regret it later. 'I know. We need to get Jacob and then we are out of here. We have to find a way to get to the house.'

She nodded tensely, her jaw clenched and her lips on a thin line. However, as I put my hand on the doorknob, a familiar and unexcepted voice was heard from inside a hidden room as it creaked open.

'You know, being wizards, you really should check the place thoroughly before you start talking.'

We all turned in alarm, the silhouette of the man blurry under the darkness. Leta had her wand raised before us, her knuckles visibly white as she laced her wand with a firm grip. But Tina and I knew not to attack, given that the man there didn't need a wand.

'Who are you?' demanded Leta, her voice more curiously puzzled than scared.

As the man stepped onto the light, a smile grew on his face as he saw our faces and opened mouths. And to our astonishment, Tina walked up to him, her eyes never leaving him, and put her body in the middle of his opened arms as they embraced her; she responding it suite.

A/N: Oh yes. 
I have work to do so that's why my uploads are slower. Don't worry though; I have it under control ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.1K 3K 55
๐”น๐•†๐•†๐•‚ ๐Ÿ™ | When an unforeseen attack from Grindelwald leaves Newt fighting for life, his five companions struggle to cope with the fact that the...
6.8K 116 32
Hogwarts was tough to get through, but it was made easier from having a best friend by your side through everything. Having been friends from the age...
90.8K 4.3K 46
Tina wakes up in a hospital in 1925 after a difficult mission. Her head aches terribly and is wrapped tightly with a clean, white bandage. At first...
92.1K 3.9K 76
Newt's back in New York for one reason & one reason only. Tina. There are ups, downs & love triangles galore. I mean, what's not to love about a good...