Warriors: The Lurking Darknes...

By Labeester

Jaykit, although blind, can see better than anyone else. Icekit struggles with her friendships and her destin... More

Allegiances
Prologue: The Beginning
Chapter One: Heroes
Chapter Two: An Old Enemy
Chapter Three: Loyalty
Chapter Five: I Belong
Chapter Six: Gossip
Chapter Seven: Liars
Chapter Eight: My Destiny
Chapter Nine: Unknown Cats
Chapter Ten: Rats
Updated Allegiances
Chapter Eleven: The Dark Forest
Chapter Twelve: I Am ThunderClan
Chapter Thirteen: Alone
Chapter Fourteen: They Can't Hear Me
Chapter Fifteen: Has It Really Come To This?
Chapter Sixteen: A New Threat

Chapter Four: Preparing

5 1 0
By Labeester

CHAPTER 4

The sun was disappearing from the sky as WindClan's camp came into view. I felt like everyone in our patrol was rushing to get home now. All our paws hurt but being back on the moorland was a relief.

We entered the camp quietly, where Firelily sat making the last patrol of the day. She stood up and when she caught sight of us shelet out an excited yell, "Littlecloud is back!"

Gorsekit and Cherryheart were instantly out of the nursery and bounding towards us, Russetstar had exited the medicine cats den with Mothflower, Dawnpool was purring at Mousefang, Flowerwhisker was talking with Buddy, Whitefang was now in front of me, and Shrewclaw was rubbing her muzzle against Littlecloud's.

"You had a good trip?" Whitefang asked me with concern.

My tail flicked at my mentor immediately. "Of course I did! It was so exciting! I fought off the rogues, hunted a lot, I even met a lot of new cats!" I told him excitedly, but honestly I was so tired.

Whitefang smiled down at me warmly. "Good, good..." he purred. "Tomorrow we'll start training again, but for now you need go get some sleep. You look exhausted!"

I dipped my head at him respectfully. "Thanks, Whitefang!" I bounced to the apprentice's den and entered, lying in my nest comfortable. I curled up and watched Icepaw and Soulpaw enter after me.

My eyes soon got heavy and I drifted into a peaceful sleep.

***

My eyes followed Whitefang, Firelily, and Shadeclaw was we walked along the RiverClan border. I had slept well last night and I was ready to get back to my training. We were already behind since we went to help DarkClan.

Shadeclaw was going on and on about how he'd always sneak off when he was a warrior to this border because it was very beautiful and peaceful and the sounds of the water relaxed him.

Firelily's eyes were focused on the other side of the border though, completely tuning out the warrior. It seemed like she thought the RiverClan warriors were a threat to us.

A loud yowl from the other side of the border caused me to flinch and Voleclaw, Willowstream, a brown-and-white tom, and a gray tabby she-cat came to the border, their eyes flashing at us in warning.

"Hello, Voleclaw," Firelily purred calmly, her eyes dark.

The brown-and-white tom stepped forward, pushing past Voleclaw. I could tell he was older due to the white fleck on his muzzle and he was far more hostile. "Why are you so close to the border, Firelily? Are you planning an attack?" His tail lashed.

I felt Whitefang stiffen beside me and he leaned down to my ear. "The one talking to Firelily is Owlfur, he was my mentor when I was in RiverClan. The she-cat is Featherstorm," he whispered, making sure the RiverClan cats didn't hear him.

As he spoke, another she-cat stepped forward. She looked strong and her pelt was glossy. I wasn't sure who she was but she seemed important. "What's going on here?" she demanded.

"The other she-cat is Softwing, she's my sister, and the new she-cat is RiverClan's deputy, Ottersplash." He was practically frozen in his spot with fear, whispering things into my ear.

Firelily's eyes narrowed. "You're the one crowding my warriors, Ottersplash. Perhaps you're the ones looking for a fight?"

Ottersplash smiled at Firelilly. "Gladly." She turned back to the larger patrol. "Are we all ready to rip these foolish WindClan cats apart?"

Softwing's eyes glittered in excitement, pointing mostly at Whitefang.

"Wait!" Whitefang called, stepping forward he looked at Firelily. "How about I fight Softwing?" he suggested quickly and I could see his pelt quiver in fear.

Our deputy looked at Ottersplash who nodded. "Very well, Whitefang."

Softwing grinned happily and jumped over the border, facing Whitefang with ferocity. She didn't hesitate as she lunged for his throat, but my mentor jumped up and kicked her in the face.

The RiverClan she-cat fell the ground and Whitefang pinned her easily. She was smart though and used her back legs to hit his stomach repeatedly until he jumped off and then they wrestled around, blood splattering the ground. I felt myself look away. It was a horrific sight.

A loud yowl made everyone break apart and Russetstar was padding up to us with an angry glare.

"What do you think you're doing?" His eyes were narrowed in anger at Whitefang and Firelily.

Ottersplash growled, "A border fight, Russetstar." Her eyes narrowed back at him.

"I apologize, Russetstar. RiverClan asked for a fight and Whitefang volunteered to fight Softwing," Firelily explained quickly, shifting her paws in awkwardness.

Russetstar shook his head in disappointment. "No, Firelily. Do not apologize for your foolishness, because that'll only make this worse." He looked at the RiverClan cats. "Get out of my sight or I'll rip your pelts off and make a nest out of it." As he spoke Littlecloud and Icepaw showed up behind him, their eyes wide.

The RiverClan cats bolted away with Softwing limping after them, leaving a trail of blood behind her.

Firelily's head fell and she looked up at Russetstar ashamedly. "Right... So I'll lead my patrol home..." She went around the leader and raced forward with the rest of us following close behind.

When we arrived back at camp, Jaypaw and Soulpaw sat beside the apprentice's den sharing a rabbit. Whitefang instantly slipped into Mothflower's den, so I padded over to my denmates.

"Hey, Wildpaw," Jaypaw mumbled while Soulpaw just nodded at me.

"What did you do today, Soulpaw?" I asked, my eyes shining as I settled down, taking a large bite out of the rabbit hungrily.

Soulpaw sat up a little. "I caught that rabbit you're eating! What about you?"

"Patrolled the RiverClan border and it ended in a fight." I quickly explained what happened and then turned to Jaypaw. "What did you do today?"

The blind cat looked at the sky. "Let's see... I hunted and fought RiverClan!" he replied sarcastically and then glared at me. "What do you think I did?"

My eyes widened at him in surprise. I'd forgotten how grumpy he was all the time. "I'm sorry... I forgot you're stuck in camp all the time," I apologized.

Whitefang padded up to me. "Tomorrow we'll be clearing the apprentices den out, alright?" He turned to Soulpaw. "Same with you." Then my mentor padded away to Mothflower who yelled something at Jaypaw.

"See you guys later," Jaypaw mewed and then padded over to Mothflower as Icepaw padded over to us.

She sat down and ate the rest of the rabbit before turning to us. "What a day!" she purred happily and Mousefang walked over to us, sitting down on the other side of Icepaw.

"Hi guys!" he purred, his eyes shining. "So, I spoke with Larkstar today..."

Soulpaw sighed heavily, eyeing Mousefang. "Exciting..." He suddenly reminded me of Jaypaw.

RiverClan scent washed over me and I turned my head to see Crookedstar enter the camp, Softwing, Owlfur, Voleclaw, and Featherstorm following after.

Russetstar greeted him in the middle of the clearing, standing tall and proud. Russetstar was older than Littlecloud and Cherryheart, but he definitely didn't look or act like it. "May I help you, Crookedstar?"

He nodded slowly, glancing around the clearing. "It seems a border fight broke out earlier, hm?" His eyes flashed at Whitefang.

The WindClan leader's eyes flashed back in warning. "Yes, however, I stopped it before it got too bad," he told Crookedstar honestly.

"I smell fear in this camp," Crookedstar purred, his eyes shining as he looked over us carefully, as if trying to spot the cat.

But Russetstar only shook his head. "Then it must be your own warriors. WindClan cats know we have gotten much stronger. This is a fight you cannot and will not win, Crookedstar."

Crookedstar growled at Russetstar in frustration. "I've had enough of WindClan thinking they're better than everyone else, Russetstar. After the Gathering we will fight at Fourtrees." He whipped around and exited, his warriors following.

Our leader simply nodded and turned to the Clan. "Firelily, I will be making the border patrol and you put our best hunters out there." Russetstar's eyes were blazing. "The Gathering is in three days, we must look fit and healthy. Morningtail take the medicine cats and teach them self-defensive moves and Cherryheart take Gorsekit to the side of camp and teach him where he should hide if they should attack the camp," he ordered with ease. Russetstar was a very confident leader.

Everyone was now hurrying around camp and Firelily called me over to where Icepaw, Cinderleaf, and Dawnpool sat.

"What?" I asked, looking at them curiously.

Firelily nodded at them and announced, "You will be a part of the back-up patrol. Dawnpool will be leading it with Mudpelt, Cinderleaf, Icepaw, and now you. I am leading another patrol as is Russetstar."

I didn't argue and held my tongue, dipping my head at our deputy. I didn't want to be on any attack patrols. "Of course, Firelily."

Flowerwhisker padded up to me and purred happily, "I'm so proud of you, Wildpaw!"

I growled lowly, "Mom, I'm busy doing apprentice duties!" My eyes narrowed at her and she quickly padded away, a smile still plastered on her face.

Cinderleaf gave me a look as she padded by, as did the other cats. Whitefang padded up to me though.

"Yes?" I muttered up to him as he looked down at me.

Whitefang sighed and his eyes closed for a brief moment. "Be safe, kit. Don't try anything mouse-brained, alright?"

My tail flickered in annoyance. "I'll be fine, Whitefang!" I snapped at him, my whiskered twitching. "Can we go practice some battle moves though?" My paws itched to tell him I wasn't ready, but I couldn't disobey my Clan.

He nodded calmly. "We'll go outside of camp and practice, just to sharpen your skills up," Whitefang purred as he led the way out of camp just to the side of the entrance where small rocks made a square around the training spot.

"I'll teach you a defensive move," Whitefang mewed. "Attack me with the Front Paw Blow; you haven't used that one in a while..." My mentor stepped back, getting low into a crouch, ready.

Sighing, I quickly brought my front paw down hard on Whitefang's head, my claws sheathed, of course.

Without hesitation, Whitefang batted my paw away and leapt over me, turning on his back legs. I felt his jaws clamp over my left back leg, not tight enough to draw blood though.

"Woah," I mewed, shocked. "That was awesome! You have to teach me how to do that!" Excitement bubbled in my gaze as I looked at him.

My mentor slipped back in front of me and when I'd finished talking his ears pricked and he kinked his tail over his back, meaning to follow him.

Silently, he led the way along the camp until we spotted the noise: Four ThunderClan cats, watching the WindClan camp in our territory.

Whitefang's tail tip quickly faced the other way, meaning 'attack'! And I did, landing on a gray-and-black she-cat who squirmed, but didn't make a noise as Whitefang tackled two of the other bird-brains.

"Get off me, you gross rabbit!" squealed Honeystorm and I felt claws enter my side, pushing me off. I looked up to see Whitestorm, the large white feline growled lowly as he darted forward, but I wouldn't let him win and I jumped into the air, landing on his back. I pushed off, landing on Honeystorm again.

This was exhilarating, fighting the ThunderClan cats and I sunk my teeth right into Honeystorm's back just as a loud battle yowl echoed around me. It was Russetstar's battle cry and Icepaw, Redstorm, and Dawnstripe's scents hit my nose.

Now Honeystorm yowled as Icepaw lashed out at her muzzle and I jumped off, raking my claw along her back. I caught sight of Russetstar pinning Whitestorm down, Redstorm helping Whitefang rip Sparrowpelt apart, and Dawnstripe bite down on Fuzzypelt's tail.

"Retreat!" Whitestorm yowled and the other three ThunderClan cats shoved their way past us and bolted to their territory while tripping over each over.

Russetstar stood up, his pelt covered in blood. "Everyone head back to camp to get your wounds checked," he ordered and led the way.

I bounced after him, Icepaw beside me as they entered the camp.

"What happened?" Mothflower gasped and looked over at Jaypaw. "Cobwebs and Goldenrod immediately!" she ordered and my brother raced into the medicine den to fetch it.

I began to lick myself clean of the blood, noting that I didn't have a scratch, I grinned. That'll teach those foolish ThunderClan cats! I thought and then stood up, padding over to Icepaw.

"You okay?" I asked, looking at her pelt curiously.

Icepaw sighed as she continued licking the blood of her pelt, spitting it onto the ground. "I'm just lovely..." she muttered as her white pelt slowly came back.

Redstorm padded up to us, his dark ginger pelt instantly reminding me of Cinderleaf. "Icepaw, I'm leading the night patrol and Firelily wants you to come with us," he explained, nodding a hello to me.

My sister sighed again. "Let me finish," she told him and then licked quicker as he walked away.

I walked away too, knowing that it was time for me to hit the nest, but first, I glanced over at the Tallrock where Buddy and Whitefoot sat, talking quietly.

Shaking my head, I slipped into the small apprentices den where Soulpaw already slept soundly.

I stood in my nest, circling around a few times before lying down, my back facing Soulpaw and my tail covering my nose. I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

***

My eyes flickered open and I looked around silently, seeing the den was empty. I yawned and began to groom myself quickly before standing and exiting into the camp.

Soulpaw was carrying large bundles of moss to the front of the nursery and dropped them, Whitefang was eating a mouse with Dawnpool, Russetstar was sitting beside Firelily talking quietly, Buddy and Whitefoot entered camp with prey in their jaws, Jaypaw was sorting herbs while Mothflower continued to bring them out of the den, Icepaw was throwing a moss ball for Gorsekit while Cherryheart watched from outside the nursery, and Blackfoot entered the camp with Scratchtail and Grayclaw padding in after.

I bounced over to Soulpaw who was counting out an even number of moss to put in each nest. "Sorry that I woke up late. But I'm here to help now!" I purred happily.

My denmate glanced up at me. "Well you can start putting these in nests, okay?"

"Of course!" I agreed and grabbed the first bundle, slipping into the empty nursery. I started with Gorsekit and Cherryheart's nest, filling it quickly. I went out for more and filled the next one, and the next one, and the nest one, and the next one until they were all full.

Firelily, Shadeclaw, and Mudpelt stood at the entrance of camp, looking for someone to take with them on their hunting patrol.

"I'll come?" I offered quickly, standing in front of Firelily, smiling widely. I needed to get out of camp.

The deputy looked down at me and sighed. "Alright, Wildpaw. C'mon guys!" she mewed and turned around, leading the way into the Greenleaf air.

Surely is beautiful out here. The rabbits should be hoping, I thought and scented the air as Firelily whisked away to catch a rabbit.

"Mice!" I squeaked to Mudpelt, pointing my tail at the mice sniffing the ground for food.

Mudpelt nodded and got down low, sneaking off behind them. I got in position and then the other tom roared, scaring the group of mice right into my claws where I managed to kill two of them.

"Great job!" Mudpelt purred and nodded at Firelily's rabbit and then he padded away to get his own catch.

Firelily set down her rabbit, admiring my mice. "We will feast tonight!" she purred and then blinked. "Good thing too, we're about to have a fight..."

Oh no, I've forgotten about the fight... My eyes widened a bit and I picked up my prey. My heart sunk in my chest. "I'll meet you all at camp," I told Firelily and then raced away towards camp.

***

My mice were on the pile now and I padded up to Russetstar and looked up at him. "What will the backup patrol do, Russetstar?"

The leader looked up at me from his meal and blinked. "Well, if my or Firelily's patrol are being beat up too badly you will travel to that spot and fight with us," he explained calmly.

"Is it possible for anyone to die in this battle?" My eyes flickered to Flowerwhisker who was scolding Gorsekit for some reason.

Russetstar shrugged. "There's always a chance in every battle, but if someone dies in battle, they die a warrior, you should know this."

Do you even care if someone dies? I thought, now panicked. What if Icepaw or Flowerwhisker die in this battle?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 130 27
It's been many moons since the final battle against the Dark Forest. The Clans returned to their regular routines and soon enough, everything was jus...
71 8 8
In this series based off of the Warriors books, we follow three young cats as they grow up in a world all new and all different from the original War...
52 1 5
The decedents of the ancient clans from many moons ago, Mountainclan, Heathclan, Marshclan, and Swampclan have lived in peace. With new knowledge of...
772 42 24
[Completed] Two sisters, once so close, find themselves on a path that may lead to the destruction of one of them. They are thrown into a whirlpool o...