What's my sin?

By itunuoluwA1

"life is better without the abuse no matter how alone you may be" A young girl tells of her experience throu... More

Chapter one: Another morning
Chapter 3: Dad
Chapter 4: A new friend
Chapter 5: Friendly Trouble
Chapter 6: Birthday
Chapter 7: Hide and seek
Chapter 8: Boomerang
Chapter 9: Happy day ruined
Chapter 10: Shocker
Chapter 11: A day of freedom
Chapter 12: Back to the hood
Chapter 13: Sisters
Chapter 14: A taste of Power
Chapter 15: Tricked Christmas
Chapter 16: Crossover
Chapter 17: Journey alone.
Chapter 18: A new breeze
Chapter 19: Scandal
Chapter 20: Freedom walk
Chapter 21: Adapting
Chapter 22: Clique bangs
Chapter 23:Boarding tales
Chapter 24: The siege
Chapter 25: Fire!!!
Chapter 26: Dreams do come true

Chapter 2: Demotion

648 75 3
By itunuoluwA1

School is my favourite place. I call it the only place i could excel. Unlike me, my step sister and brothers were dullards. I always felt like if i could bring home perfect results, maybe someday my dad will like me. Yes, about my dad. The thought of going back home still irks me. My dad is a very and i say that with the whole of my mouth, very stern and difficult man. He is one person i fear to death.

You might not believe me but i'll tell you an event that left its mark in my life. I was so scared of my dad that i ran away crying each time i see him coming. One day he got so angry that he took me up and threatened to kill me that day. My mum pleaded so much with him and cried. He wanted to hit my head on a culvert that morning. Interventions from passerby and neighbours saved my wailing life. The thought of meeting him at home today gave me chills.

He is a busy man and travels from time to time to his other wives also. Today was the senior wife's turn and he intended coming over. It only meant one thing, we all have to behave. I wasn't the only one scared of him though, Martins and i shared a mutual feeling. His favourite were Dara, Kingsley and Charles, a reason best known to him though.

My teacher gave me my assignment and i flipped it open. I grinned satisfactorily, i had 10 over 10 again. Ill show my dad this and maybe he'll give me meat this time.

"What did you get ? " Ese asked me as she got to my table. I wiped my smile away, she was another Dara in the making. She had sauciness written over her. "I dont know" i boldly responded.

"Yes you do you liar" she shouted right back snatching the note out of my hand.

"Oh, you cheated right ? " she lifted my boom showing it to the class.

"No i did not ! " i defended myself standing up and hitting the table. My hands were shaking but i held my stance. I had painstakingly did my assignment myself and didn't like my hard work put into mere fun.

She became shocked as if surprised i could talk at all. She instantly dropped my book and crossed her arms "Hmph ! " she snorted

"Ese go back to your sit" My aunty finally said after watching our banter speechlessly. Sometimes i think she's just a devil making me going through pain from Ese every time.

"And Ruth..." she called me making me turn to look at her with disgust written on my face. "That was very good". My expression became blank instantly,i sat down quietly and looked at the rack of bags hanging on the wall. I smiled effortlessly. Why she said that i had no idea but it sure felt good.

Hours later into our school period the proprietress who is also my guardian came into my class. I immediately sat still and stop talking to my friend Esther. We all stood up and welcomed her in a chorus. She waved absently to us "Thank you,have your sit." she faced my teacher and began speaking quietly to her. I focused hard and tried to read their lips but it was so difficult. Esther eventually poked me distracting me, she had been talking to me and i obviously wasn't listening.

"What ? " i responded harshly when she gained my attention.

"What did you do again ? "

I became sober, did she come to tell my teacher that i bed wetted ? I shook my head, she wouldn't say that even if my step mum told her. "What ? " Esther asked again when i shook my head. "I don't know" i muttered.

"Why were you beaten this morning then ? " she pointed to the cane mark on my had like i didn't know it was there before. I couldn't bring myself to tell her about it, it is embarrassing for even me. I'm sure she doesn't bed wet also. She might be my friend but she wouldn't understand my plight.

"I..i..." i began to stutter trying to gather my lies.

"Ruth go and carry your bag and lunch box" I was relieved by that order from my teacher and got up instantly. I went to the bag rack and unhooked my tattered bag, i had saved the zip from giving way so many times by decorating it with pins. I cant even begin to count the number of beatings i had gotten from it. I carried my lunch basket when it began to dawn on me. Why was i going home early ? We just finished lunch ? Did i do something wrong again ?

"Follow me" my guardian said walking out of the class. I looked at my teacher and she waved goodbye at me. Immediately a sick feeling erupted from the pit of my stomach. It felt like the final goodbye. She wasn't even smiling. I looked at Esther and told her goodbye before leaving the class under the stares of my classmates.

I followed her down the steps and through the rolls of classes until she stopped at Dara's class. I stood out the door waiting for her to call Dara out also. Several things began to run through my mind. Was my dad back already and expecting us home ? Were we having a church programme now ?

"Come inside" she signalled to me when she noticed i wasn't following her anymore. I followed meekly behind and saw Dara look at me with that same confused look i have on. I shrugged in response to her silent question. My guardian also spoke to her teacher in whispers and i could see Dara also try to read their lips closely. I giggled at that same familiar gesture drawing both of their attention.

The next thing i felt was an hammering thunderous pain from my head before i realized my guardian had knocked me with her devilish ring. I was unsure whether to cover my mouth from crying out from the lingering pain or hold onto my head to suppress it. I later chose the latter causing me to cry out in pain which angered her more.

"Oh, so you want to cry now abi ? " i shook my head frantically as tears poured down my eyes which i tried cleaning instantly with the back of my hand.

"Give me your cane" She ordered the teacher who gladly obliged her. I began shaking from my toes. "I...im....n..n..ot cry....in..g" I pleaded tearfully.

Weeeeew ! weeeeew !

Two lashes landed on my back and shoulders. I cant explain how my legs gained speed out of the class wailing. I hid behind the door to avoid being followed. I thought i have gotten away with it till i heard her voice threaten from the class "I'll count till three for you to come inside if not.."

I dragged myself reluctantly into the class and stood at the doorway. I bowed myself shamefully avoiding the faces of the students. I had heard them laughing as i ran out, i cant bear to see them right now.

My guardian must have decided to ignore me as she began to speak, probably to the class. "Ruth will be joining your class starting from today". My head sprang up. What ?. Why will she bring me from primary two to join nursery 2. I became confused and perplexed. I had passed through this class and this is Dara's class not mine. She had repeated the class twice now.

I forced my lips to speak but they were determined to stay shut probably out of fear of beating or that i wasn't meant to question others decision. "come and sit here" a soft voice beckoned me and i looked at the girl who said it. She had a smile on her face and patted the chair beside her. I clutched my bag to my chest as i slid onto the chair she patted.

"My name is Marie. What is your name ? "

I looked at her but couldn't respond as i was still in shock. I miss my class. I miss Esther. What did i do wrong this time ? . I know i didn't fail because my mummy commended me when i showed her my result in church. I got all my questions right in class. Silent tears welled up and i placed my head on the table unaware of when my guardian left.

I heard a loud tap on the table and raised my head. I had cried myself to sleep. I looked up and saw my new teacher in front of me. I realized it wasn't a dream. "You cant sleep in my class okay ? ". I nodded.

I was absent minded through the classes and had to be beaten at intervals to make me concentrate. Marie tried talking to me severally but i ignored her. I rather prefer to sulk than talk.

The final bell rang and i didn't know whether to be happy or sad. I was going home, my dad is around and school also sounded like hell to me right now. I went straight to my now former class and met Esther at the doorway coming out.

"Where did you go ? "she asked innocently.

"I'm not in your class again ? " I replied sadly

"Im now in Dara's class"

"Nursery 2? Why ? " Esther is such a sharp minded girl and i loved her for it. She also had a way of consoling me in an elderly way. She got into school late making her the oldest by 3 years in the class. I saw her as my elder sister.

"I don't know. mama told me to stay there" i responded. Mama is the general name we call her at home but i use It also when talking to Esther.

She pointed at a fresh open wound on my neck "Who beat you ? "

I hadn't notice it myself though it was small. I touched it myself and felt it. It was a small cut. I removed my hand and she exclaimed. "Ah ! Blood". She quickly dropped her basket and opened her school bag. She drew out her hanky and quickly helped me wipe it showing me the dark red stain on the hanky when she was done. She hugged me and consoled me."sorry". I nodded.

Kingsley came running towards us "Ruth let's go. The school bus is leaving" . I hurriedly bid her goodbye as i ran after him to the school bus. The bus was almost filled when i got there and i looked around for Nifemi who was already struggling to come and meet me. I sat down and carried him before beginning my motherly ritual of going through his flask. I saw that he didn't finish his food and started feeding him as the bus moved.

"Why did mama bring you to my class ? " Dara eventually asked when every other occupant had gotten down and the bus was not crowded anymore.

"I dont know. " i blankly said.

"I dont want you in my class o"

"i want to go back to my class" i said also to no one in particular.

"Tell your mummy to tell mama to take her back" Martin suggested relieving us for a bit. We both sat in silence anticipating the result we will get at home.

"Daddy is at home" Kingsley began bouncing joyfully infecting both Dara and Charles with his joy and soon they were chattering about several things they are going to do with him as Martins and i looked on in silence.

We got home soon enough and the three of them jumped out and ran towards mama's residence to greet my dad since that Is where is room is. Martins and I slowly walked into the living room and saw them already seated on his lap. We went forward and i knelt down while Martins prostrated.

"Do you like your new class ? " He asked me. I looked at him in rage. So he knows about it ?. Just then my step mum also came in. She gave me a look that said if i talked i will be dead. That confused me more. Doesn't he know ?

"I heard you have been promoted. Do you like that ? ". I looked at my step mum again and her eyes flashed warning. I swallowed and began to play with the hem of my wear.

Note: it is a cold night today. I hope this made ur day. Reading a novel under the duvet is a cool feeling. Ive been there. Thanks for reading. Await the next chapter.

Vote and comment please.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Lovely By CAZ365

Non-Fiction

52 0 13
This is a story about love, relationships, toxicity, recovery, and hope. In this story we will delve into the reality of abusive relationships at the...
180 12 4
She is a devil-may-care kind of girl. Very optimistic. But they gave her nothing but agony, grieve and pain, they destroyed her. while for him,it was...
471 39 55
Ruby Dominguez knew all about how her father treated her mother. If she stepped in to help, she would get the same treatment. They couldn't leave. Th...
16.8K 3.7K 41
What's a family without drama? Jasmine's family is full of it only that her family's drama is a nightmare. How can she cope with a father who hates...