The Past Lies Ahead (A Throne...

By NTrude

Set after ToD and EoS [COMPLETE] A ToG fanfiction Rowan found a way to go back in time. Now he only needed to... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chaper 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Ten Years Later - Part 1
Ten Years Later - Part 2
Author's Note

Chapter 30

995 40 4
By NTrude

Rowan, Aedion and the witches made out of the tunnel a few seconds before the hellfire ignited. Aedion and the witches jumped out to the side away from the entrance, Rowan didn't bother. Aelin was wounded, but he had no idea of the severity of the injury. He had to get to the castle, now.

The deafening boom covered all other sounds, and the earth shook beneath his feet. A wind raced past him, and he could feel his magic bloom inside him once more.

In the blink of an eye he shifted into his hawk form, and bent the winds to push him towards the castle and the fiery Princess within it.

_______________________________________

Dorians heart almost stopped as he saw his fathers blade slash across Aelins face, and her blood began pouring from the gaping wound as she staggered back. Dorian roared at his father as he focused his magic on grabbing the King, and tossed him hard straight up in the air while at the same time he sprinted over to Aelin. He heard a thud as his father hit the floor, and he glanced at him and found him motionless on the floor. He turned back to Aelin. «Are you alright, how bad is it?»

She held a hand to the wound, blood leaking between her fingers, she looked at him wide eyed. That had been way too close. «I... I'm fine, he only got my cheek.» she said, a bit shaken. He was about to reply when the entire castle rattled and deafening sound filled the world, followed by a wind thar kissed his skin.

A light flashed from where Aelin stood, she gad gotten her magic back. The King stumbled to his feet, surprisingly still able to stand after that fall, but of course he was not like other men.

Now that they both had their magic they could move on to phase two of their plan. Dorian began to draw up his magic, willing it to become light, bright burning light.

«You are both dead!» the king roared and blackness came flying at them in a big tidal wave.

«Now!» Aelin shouted, and they both launched their magic at him simultaneously.

Aelin wrapped her fire around the king holding him in place, while Dorian speared the light he had made into his fathers head. The King screamed as Dorian filtered through him, only targeting the darkness of the Valg.

Last time his father had died, but maybe, just maybe he could save him from the demon and finally get to know his real father. He singed away any traces of the Valg demon until he heard the black ring clatter to the floor.

Aelin let the fire disperse, and Dorian pulled back his magic as his father dropped to his knees, then crumbled to the floor.

——————————————————

The blast had caused momentary confusion among the Kings soldiers, and the rebels and witches had taken full advantage of that. Especially the witches, Sam noted as the amount of bodies on the end of the street was a lot bigger than the ones where he stood.

The adrenalin from the fighting still pumped through him as he surveyed the street around him. They had lost quite a few rebels in the fight, but far less than they would have if Manon hadn't showed up with the Crochans.

There were still fighting going on elsewhere in the city, the clanging of weapons and shouting men reached him where he stood among the bodies. He made to go help the other fighters, but groaned as searing pain lanced down his thigh.

Looking down he found a huge, gaping wound that was bleeding quite heavily. Cursing under his breath, Sam unsheathed a dagger and cut of a piece of his cloak. He tied the piece of cloth tightly around the wound, wincing as he did, to stop the bleeding.

——————————————————

The Kings breath came in raspy heaves, and Aelin knew instantly that he would not survive this time either. She glanced over at Dorian who stared down at his father, no emotion showed on his face. Their original plan had been to just go straight for the kill, but Dorian had asked her in private if they could try to save him from the demon.

They kept their distance from the King, in case the demon was just pretending and would pounce on them the first chance he got.

«Where are the keys you found?» she asked the heaving King. He looked up into her face.

«He... has them... in Morath.» he gasped out.

«Morath is a big place, be a bit more specific.» Dorian said through tight lips. His father groaned, probably now feeling all the broken bones from being thrown earlier.

«The tomb, in the chamber... of his tomb.» he coughed, and spat blood unto the floor. «Only one way in, it's... always under heavy... guard.»

She shared a look with Dorian. Going in there would be a death trap, even if they somehow made it in there, getting out would be nigh on impossible.

«My boy... please, forgive me... I never meant to hurt you... kill me, please.» the Kings voice got weaker and weaker as his body began to fail him without the presence of the Valg.

Aelin stepped back, this was something Dorian wanted to do alone. To have this last moment with his real father before he passed away. She walked over to stand by the window at the other end of the room, and that's when she spotted the white tailed hawk soaring straight towards her. She opened the window and waved up at him.

As soon as he was inside he shifted back into his Fae form, worry lined every part of his face. «Are you alright, what happened?» he asked and instantly began examining the still bleeding wound across her face. She had forgotten to heal it.

«I'm fine, it's just a graze.» she tried to sound like it was truly nothing but... her face. Why do they always go for her face? She really hoped it wouldn't scar, but from Rowan's frown she could tell that that hope was futile.

«I can heal it for the most part, but Aelin, it will leave a scar.» he said quietly and searched her face for a reaction. She swallowed.

«Well, I still have my head at least. A scar will be a good reminder not to get too hotheaded when I fight next time.» she said, trying to shrug away the uneasy feeling. It would be long scar, and there was no hiding it...

«You were being reckless?» he frowned down at her, and he pressed his mouth into a thin line.

«Aren't I always?» she said sweetly, giving him the most innocent smile she could muster. She felt the wound slowly knit together as he began healing it.

«Just don't take unnecessary risks, Fireheart, I can't...» he said, then he stopped himself, clamped his mouth shut and focused on the healing. Aelin closed her eyes, and lifted her arms and brought them around his waist, hugging him closely. She felt him stiffen under her touch, felt him fight the urge to hold her too. So she leaned the right side of her face against his broad, muscular chest. She breathed him in, the scent of pine and snow, the scent of home.

«Just hug me back, buzzard, I don't bite.» she said jokingly. She felt the rumbling laughter in his chest as he slowly, gently held her. A tingly sensation spread through her as Rowan rested his head on hers, as he scented her too.

«That is a lie, Fireheart, and you know it.» he muttered into her hair, and despite all the fighting just a moment ago she giggled into his chest. Yes, she knew, and she also knew that he bites as well. She bit down on her lip.

She heard soft footsteps approach from behind her as Dorian came towards them. «He's dead.»

Aelin let go of Rowan and went over to Dorian and embraced him. «You did your best, don't blame yourself.» she whispered into his ear. «Come on, we must tell the soldiers to stop fighting now.»

Dorian just nodded and turned away, walking out of the throne room. Despite all the things his father had done, he had hoped that there was a chance of saving him. She hated seeing the grief weigh down his shoulders.

——————————————————

Word spread like wildfire, and the fighting slowly ended as more and more people heard the news. The King was dead. The rebels had won.

Dorian had delivered the news himself, and this time told the people the truth. He had killed his father, he told them. He told he was with the rebels, and from this day onward there would be no more slavery, no more conquering. His kingdom would not be built on blood, murder and hatred.

And soon the entire city knew that their own Prince had stood against the tyrant and fought for the freedom of the conquered kingdoms and their peoples.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Only You By Chloe

Fanfiction

13.1K 283 33
A Rowaelin fanfiction. There was no war with Erawan, Rowan and Aelin were able to meet under normal circumstances and explore their relationship with...
28.6K 555 19
A story where Sam never died and now he is going to see Aelin, the new queen of Terrasen, and tell her he's alive. Along the way he meets the witty a...
1.9K 104 13
Aelin Ashryver Galathynius has survived Endovier. She has survived heartbreak and loss. She has survived the king's reign. However, she now needs to...
123K 1.3K 70
Second book to the first TOG book. Disclaimer: I do not own Throne of Glass or its characters REQUESTS ARE CLOSED AND WILL BE IGNORED. DMS ASKING FO...