Hell's Bane (COMPLETED)

By Yelverton_TheGeek_

Years ago, the Brimstone Faction was set into chaos. Once loyal to their cause, they protected an artifact kn... More

Author's Note and Disclaimer
Chapter One: The Path to Strange Places
Chapter Two: A Stranger in the Dark
Chapter Three: Power of a God
Chapter Five: The Transition Age
Chapter Six: Food for Five
Chapter Seven: The Flight to Issenhal
Chapter Eight: The Scavenger Draws Near
Chapter Nine: Those Who Seek The Power
Chapter Ten: To Ready the Sword and Shield
Chapter Eleven: Many Sacrifices
Chapter Twelve: Those Who Seek the Blade
Chapter Thirteen: Waxing Moon
Chapter Fourteen: The Road Goes Downward
Chapter Fifteen: Heavy Words
Chapter Sixteen: Ara'anskt
Chapter Seventeen: The House With the Blue Sparrow
Chapter Eighteen: King Gather and Storm Come
Chapter Nineteen: New Friend in Shadow
Chapter Twenty: A Candle and a Fire
Chapter Twenty-One: To The Past
Chapter Twenty-Two: A Setback
Chapter Twenty-Three: The Beginning of the End
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Road Demands Sacrifice
Chapter Twenty-Five: Into the Endgame
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Storm Beckons
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Blood Moon
Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Failure of Victory
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Devil's Call
Chapter Thirty: Weaving of the Fates
Chapter Thirty-One: The Last Stand
Chapter Thirty-Two: Dawn Once More

Chapter Four: Secrets

258 27 37
By Yelverton_TheGeek_

The figure no longer felt that aura of safety and control the moment she was thrust into the limelight, subdued by Davis and Emmanual and taken back to the campsite.

She struggled for several moments before finally giving up. The figure was outnumbered, and, though she had her ace up her sleeve, everyone else was also armed, and prepared to strike at any sign of resistance or danger from her. Sighing, she allowed herself to be brutally dragged all the way up the hill and finally tied above the doused campfire.

Just like some savage jungle tribe, the figure thought, wincing as Davis lighted the campfire back up. The flames were licking her skin – burning, searing pain – but it wouldn't kill the figure. Davis needed it for information, and she was valuable alive.

The explorers noticed the strange weapon strapped to her shoulder, and unslung it, confused at what it was. Narrowing her eyes, the figure remembered where they put the weapon – knowing that she would take it back later.

"Are you done?" the figure finally asked, as they finished tying her above the campfire. If she fell...

Davis shook his head. "Not quite. Drea, what did this person tell you?"

Drea recounted every detail of what the figure had said, making constant pauses in between, and the figure noticed that Davis was not the only one listening intently. Hugo was all ears, clearly fascinated by her tales of ancient powers. Was that greed she saw in the explorer's eyes? The figure raised an eyebrow. Was Hugo one to crave power? Outward, merry Hugo?

As Drea finished explaining what she'd heard, Davis laughed as if it was something funny, though the figure caught a tinge of fear in that voice.

"The thing is," Davis explained, "our friend over here left out all the important parts. I suppose there's no use trying to hide it from you now – I tried to protect all of you before, knowing too well that the rogues would only kill those who knew."

"Friendly for a rogue," Drea grumbled. "Go on."

"...After all, they have a conscious, but I need to go back a bit. What the figure told you is true – two brothers stumbled upon an ancient power like no other, and, realizing that nobody could handle what the power offered, took it with them, with the knowing someone else could easily have stumbled upon it if they only left it there.'

"Secretly, they hid the power and guarded it with two artifacts – Kazim's Blade and Oswin's Chest. Those were the only two things that stopped anyone from simply taking the power once they knew of its whereabouts – the person who sought the power had to take both artifacts, otherwise they would not know how to enter the hiding place."

"Why?" Hugo asked. "Why did people have to find those two artifacts first?"

Davis drew a sharp breath and sat down in front of the campfire, with the explorers quickly doing the same. Like campfire tales, the figure thought. But darker.

"...Kazim's Blade, as you already know, is able to break through magical barriers. Without it, even if the person knew where the power was hidden, he wouldn't be able to enter without dying instantly. As for Oswin's Chest, it tells the location of where the power lies. Without the Chest, no one knows where it is."

Hugo seemed lost in thought. "But how? How did the brothers manage to guard the power with magic, and veil the power so that nobody would be able to find it without the Chest?"

Davis seemed troubled by the question. "No one really knows completely, but there was a time when magic was as common as day, which I believe also explains the creation of every magical artifact we've ever found. I believe the two brothers, enhanced by what the power gave them before they hid it away, managed to create all the barriers that stopped people from simply stopping by and taking the power. It's what all Brimstone Faction people know, and what all of them believe."

"Brimstone Faction?" Drea asked, and then turned to look at the figure. Her eyes said it all – you were leaving out a lot of information.

Davis clicked his tongue. "Now we're getting closer to our current time. Your newfound friend has already educated you on some of the history, but she forgot to mention that the Brimstone Faction was the name of the business that the people who knew about the secret hid behind."

"All this is confusing," Hugo muttered, though excitement still flickered in his eyes. "Some things don't stack up."

Davis nodded. "I can understand your confusion. As a direct descendant of the bloodline of the brothers who discovered the power, I was also surprised the first time I realized that I would be one of the two leaders who looked over the Brimstone Faction."

"You're their leader?!" Hugo sputtered out. "You?!"

Davis shrugged. "One of the two. I apologize for being so discreet this entire time. As I said before, it was for your own protection.'

"Anyway, as I had said before, part of the Brimstone Faction did not simply choose to go rogue and try to find the power. No, they started it off quite diplomatically – this struggle to protect the power began quite recently, in my generation of the Brimstone Faction. The other leader came up to me and suggested that it would be better if we had control of the power, and then started to try to convince me that it was the right choice. I still believe that the leader meant what he said – a mark that his lust for power is driven by some strange madness that lurks behind everything he does. Perhaps that's why some of this sounds so unbelievable."

Hugo nodded in approval. Davis continued.

"On the fateful day when the other leader managed to gain enough followers, a debate was held in the Brimstone Faction court. We argued for hours – the other leader's followers against mine. We tried to remind them that it was not the original brother's intention to expose the power to human hands, but they relented. We thought all was over when a final jury decision rejected the other leader's idea, but-" Davis gave a faint sigh. "-It appears that was truly the start of our struggles.'

"The moment the other leader realized that he'd lost, an array of soldiers planning to ambush us were revealed to be lurking all around the court. It was a bloodbath after that – it was clear that the other leader wouldn't give up, and, with everyone else expecting the debate to be a peaceful meeting, no one was prepared for the battle the ensued.'

"Most of my men barely made it out, and I'm the only survivor that remains true to the Brimstone Faction cause. All the other ones are either tainted by the other leader, or dead. I'd like to believe that some are in hiding, but it's been years now, and not even one has appeared."

Davis swallowed, reminiscing the horrors that he'd seen with his own eyes. Hugo looked at the ground, his expression saying it all in one word – Pity.

"So you started over," Hugo said, guessing at what happened next. "You formed the Claimant, and slowly, you made an exploring company, but it wasn't until now when you decided that you should go find Kazim's Blade?"

Davis nodded.

"Why?" Drea asked. "Why now?"

"Because the Brimstone Faction – or what remains of it, is also on the prowl now. They don't go by that name anymore. From now on, they're another exploring business, or at least they pretend to be. Have any of you heard of the Scavenger?"

A look of recognition flashed through Hugo. "You've mentioned it once or twice. A rival business or something, right?"

Davis nodded. "A rival business both in exploring, and the battle for the power. They live in a place called Gladwyn Castle, in Gladwyn's Field, though it's hardly a nice place. The Scavenger's always on the prowl, believe me. You haven't heard much from them, but they're ruthless and relentless. They lie, they swindle, they cheat..."

"What was the power?" Hugo suddenly asked, with no hint of greed in his voice, only curiosity.

Davis seemed to debate whether to tell them or not and finally gave in. "There's this artifact called the Devil's Crown, hidden thousands of miles away in a place no one knows. Not even the leaders know where it lies, although they're the only ones who know where the artifacts guarding the Crown are hidden.'

"I think the name should explain it all. If the Scavenger does get control over the Devil's Crown, the world will be doomed.'

Davis took a deep breath. "They will control hell... and death."

The ominous silence that followed was only broken when the leader clapped his hands together and said, suddenly jovially: "Well, that concludes the history of what we're up against and how we cannot, will not allow the Scavenger to take control of the Devil's Crown. If anyone wants to back off now, tell me, because I already pity how this burden has fallen upon you." Davis sighed and shook his head. "When I formed a business, I knew there would be a time when I had to reveal the truth to the world. But this was certainly not the time. I understand that it sounds like I was manipulating you, but I had no other choice. Had I told you..." Davis swallowed. "...You would be at the mercy of the Scavenger, a worse fate than ignorance. Now let me ask again – do any of you wish to back out, now? This may be your only chance, as the moment my brother realizes that you know, he will be coming after you."

Davis waited. No one said a word.

The leader nodded, clearly relieved. "Then I'm glad you're all on board. As for you, friend of Drea..."

Davis' voice trailed off as he caught the figure loosening the last of her ropes, and then making a mad dive in the middle of the air, just skimming the campfire as she began rolling down the hill.

"We should've watched her more closely," Drea grumbled, but no one heard over Davis' shouts of: "Don't let her escape! Get her!"

Running down the hill with their weapons, Hugo, Drea, and Emmanual, who was still stunned over all that he heard, began chasing the figure, who finally hit the base of the slope before getting back onto her feet and dashing into the foliage.

"We're losing her!" Davis yelled, and sped up his pace.

The chase was short lived. Though the figure had her head start and the cover of darkness, she'd not eaten in days, save grubs and berries that she found. Giving one last breath, the figure collapsed onto the jungle floor, waiting dumbly as the others finally caught up to her and dragged her back.

Dammit, she thought as Drea pinned her down, the others with their swords a hair's breadth away from her throat.

"Valiant attempt," Davis remarked as he caught up to the others in a slow, almost smug pace. "I appreciate the effort, but we really need to get down to the questions. I'm sure the Scavenger will be on their way any moment now."

The figure grunted. "They already are."

Davis remained as calm as ever. "All the more reason to make haste. Tell me – what's your name?"

"As if you need to know."

Hugo and Emmanual's sword drew closer. The figure winced, almost feeling the faintest edge of the blade in contact with the hairs, barely noticeable, on her neck.

"What is your name?" Davis asked again. The figure finally giving in, seeing no harm.

"Susan. Susan Theolise."

Davis nodded, content. "I've noticed that we've been losing interesting amounts of food over the past few days, Susan. King Mortimer packed enough food for four people, yet we've been losing enough to feed five. And a bit more."

Davis waited, and then, when Susan didn't respond, asked: "You know what I mean, don't you?"

"I never did such a thing," Susan spat. "That wasn't why I was there."

"You come from the Scavenger – you have the signs written all over you, which tells me that you aren't necessarily the best one to take his word on. But let me ask... do you truly believe their cause?"

"I believe what's right," Susan spat. "And I know enough things to make decisions for myself."

Davis shrugged as if he was simply giving advice to a stubborn child. "Suit yourself. You need to learn that not all things are true, just because it was what you were taught first. Does your master treat you well, Susan Theolise?"

Susan grumbled. "The Scavenger doesn't bank on comfort and luxury, knowing what's at stake."

"You sound like you're reciting from a textbook," Davis said, and then turned to the others. "Let her get up, but keep a close eye on her. Don't let her do anything fancier than breathing, don't let her come in contact with anything but the ground, and whatever you do, don't let her out of your eyesight."

"What about when we can't watch her?" Hugo asked. "What if we're sleeping and she runs away?"

Davis mused over the question. "We'll take turns on patrol, armed with weapons. As for the knives that Susan has right now, someone please take them away."

The figure cursed as she felt her knives – her knives, slip away from their little homes and fall into the filthy hands of Drea, who put them in her pack, likely never to be seen again.

Not on my watch, Susan thought to herself. She would escape, and she would tell her master everything she heard. How dare Davis think that she could be held as a tool – a hostage to use in times of need. Her master would spare no thought to saving her, as she was only a pawn in the game. She was a pawn, and she knew it. A pawn, but nevertheless a dangerous one.

"I suppose we might as well make our way back to the campfire," Davis suggested, looking at the sky, which still gave no sign of light other than the moon and the stars.

For the rest of the night, nobody slept, especially Susan. As the others conferred about the history of the Brimstone Faction and discussed their fears and ideas, Susan thought about what Davis said – about her being fed lies that she believed merely because that was what she was taught at birth.

No, Davis was a liar himself. Susan might've been a pawn, but at the same time, she was a queen. The most powerful piece on the board... easily causing destruction, but also easily reckless. She had to make decisions now – ones that she never thought she would face just several days ago.

She would become a weapon and a threat... but to whom?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 26 7
Yurr is water. Fifteen islands form a ring around its perimeter, each with its own people and customs. Ever, traveling by ship with his family, has...
11 3 4
"In a kingdom veiled in shadows, where truths are obscured and lies are woven into the fabric of power, can I rise from the darkness and claim my rig...
230K 8.2K 47
Brook Slay is a 14 years old girl. She may be shy and a bit nerdy but she is well known not to be messed with. We are in the year 5017 and nowadays m...
1.5K 8 58
Once upon a time, there was a vampire. A mystical water brings fictional books to life on a faraway land called planet Verdamnt. Vampires emerge fro...