Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 29

1.4K 73 21
By _haileyyk

As soon as we pulled up to my house, Molly ran inside due to her need to go to the bathroom. For the last ten minutes, she complained about peeing her pants, which made Savannah and I crack up. Molly didn't think it was funny though. We kept purposely saying things that would make her laugh, and every time she would cross her legs, whine, and yell at us to stop because she had to go so bad.

It's not our fault that she chose to converse with Parker and Owen instead of using the bathroom before we left.

As our laughter died down as the screen slammed behind our friend, I looked to Savannah. It was the perfect time to talk to her. I wasn't sure if she said anything to Molly about her secret, so I didn't want to mention it until we were alone.

"Sav..." I trailed off, trying to think of the right way to bring it up. I didn't want to scare her.

"Uh oh. You only call me that when you want to talk to me about somethin'," she pointed out.

She knew me so well.

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear nervously. "I do want to talk to you about somethin'," I replied with an awkward shrug and sighed. "Tonight I discovered a secret, one I don't think I was supposed to know. I was kind of mad about it at first, but now I understand."

She furrowed her perfectly-shapes brows. "Oh," she simply replied. "What is it?" Concern crosses her features.

"It's your secret."

Confusion and shock appeared on her face as she registered my words. I could tell she was thinking of all the secrets I could be possibly thinking about. I know that because I would be doing the same thing. Fear was slowing showing through her dark eyes.

When she still doesn't say anything, I decide to just come out with it. "About you likin' my brother."

Her brown eyes widened even more in surprise as her mouth was shaped in an 'o'. She looked like she was trying to say something, but words weren't coming out. She was nervous and probably scared about what I was thinking. To comfort her, I rested my hand on hers that was on her leg.

"It's okay. I'm okay with it."

She looked visibly relieved with my words and let out the breath she was holding. "Rae..."

"I just don't understand why you wouldn't tell me. Were you scared I wouldn't approve?" I asked with a slight bit of hurt in my voice.

She looked down before meeting my gaze. "Kind of. I don't know, Rae. I wanted to tell you, but I knew if I said somethin', then it would be more real. I wasn't scared of tellin' you; I was scared of my feelings."

I nodded. "Did you tell Molly? How long?" I inquired.

"No. Um... Like 7th grade?" She answered in a small voice.

Six years.

Should I be angry? My heart wants me to feel betrayed, but my mind is telling me to understand. I've basically been in love with Wesley since we were kids, so I can't possibly be angry with my best friend, especially since she still doesn't know my secret.

"Wow," is all I managed to say.

"Are you angry?" Her voice showed guilt.

"No," I answered quickly and shook my head. "I can't be mad at you for havin' a secret. Everyone is entitled to them. I think you deserve to be happy, Vannah. If you like my brother, then I ship you guys." I gave her a small smile. "I seen the way you looked at him while he talked to you. I also seen how he looked at you. I think he likes you too."

She blushed. "You think so? Thank you, Rae. You're an amazin' best friend."

I hugged her and gave her a small squeeze. "I do. Don't thank me yet. I'm gonna see to it that my best friend finally gets a boyfriend."

Savannah gave me a pointed look that says, "Don't be crazy".

A knock on the passenger side window interrupted our moment, causing us to jump. Molly's voice was muffled, "Are you two gonna sit in there all night, or are you gonna come inside? You know I can't sleep alone!"

We giggled at her last statement. Molly absolutely won't sleep alone, even at home. She makes her little sister sleep with her.

"Were comin'," I shouted back at her.

***

The sound of knocking and someone calling my name woke me from my sound slumber. I opened one eye to look at my clock on my end table.

8:04 AM

Who is here at 8 in the morning on a Saturday?

I groaned right before a pillow hit my face, forcing me to open my eyes completely. I shot up in bed at looked towards where the pillow came from. Molly, sporting a rat's next on her head, was looking at me with crazy, tired eyes.

"Hurry up and go see who that is. We are tryin' to sleep here," Molly said bluntly. She has never been a morning person.

I roll my eyes and roll out of bed. I don't even attempt to look in the mirror or fix my hair before going to the front door. When I reach the kitchen, I wish I had though. Wesley was sitting at the kitchen table while my grandma was serving him breakfast like she does with everyone.

I sucked in some air and quickly crossed my arms on my chest to hide the fact that I wasn't wearing a bra. My wide eyes just stared at the boy in front of me.

"Oh, there you are! I told you that she was hard to get up. She's definitely not a mornin' person. Come on, Rae. Stop gawkin' and take a seat," Gigi rambled on.

I looked between her and Wesley before sitting down, still holding my arms across my chest.

"Wesley," I stated, acknowledging his presence in a confused tone.

"Hey, Rae," He chirped. "Sorry for just showin' up here. I wanted to hang out like old times and to see if you happened to have seen my bracelet. You know the one my mom bought me when I was a baby? The leather one with those blue beads on it? I lost it at school yesterday around the time I was fighting with Blake. I wasn't sure if maybe I dropped it in the parking lot. It's gotten so worn down and must have finally broke."

How can I forget that bracelet? He's worn it for as long as I could remember. It means so much to him.

I shook my head. "Sorry, Wes. I haven't seen it. If I come across it, I will definitely let you know. I know how much you love it."

He gave me a sad smile. "Thanks, Rae. I appreciate that. So, how about hangin' out? We can go to the creek. I haven't seen you there for a couple of weeks. I think today is the last weekend that everyone is goin' since winter is almost here."

I was about to answer, but a deep, familiar voice answered for me. "Sorry, she can't."

I spun around to see a shirtless Rhett with wet hair. I couldn't peel my eyes away as I watched the water drops drip from his hair down to his abs. Rhett must have noticed because he smirked. Still, I stared at him shock.

Sawyer suddenly appeared from behind Rhett and sat at the table, which knocked me out of my trance. "What are you doin' here?" I questioned, trying not to sound rude.

Wesley's brows furrowed as he looked between me and the boys. Sawyer greeted his old friend before shoving some food in his mouth. Gigi was eating at the counter with a satisfied smile on her face. She was enjoying this.

"I spent the night," Rhett shrugged.

"Since when do you ever stay here?" I asked, intrigued by this sudden change.

He just shrugged again, which furthered my confusion.

Wesley began to talk again, "I'm sorry, but why can't Rae hang out at the creek tonight?"

"Because she's hangin' out with us."

"I am?" I gave him a confused look, lifting my eyebrows. I wasn't aware I had plans with them today—not that I'm complaining. I've just never seen Rhett so possessive. I guess his wolf side is showing.

Maybe he understood what I said last night.

"Yeah," Sawyer cut in. "I thought that maybe we could go to our spot today. You can invite Molly and Savannah."

Right on cue, my friends enter the kitchen and take a seat. "Invite us where? Oh, hi, Wesley!" Molly inquired, then turned her attention to my secret crush. Gigi set down a plate in front of each of them while they thanked her.

"To the lake we go to," Rhett answered Molly before taking a bite of pancake.

I turned my head to Gigi, who thought this whole ordeal was funny.

What game was she playin' at?

Molly frowned. "Oh. I don't think I can, guys. I already made plans with Austin to go to the creek."

"That's a shame. Savannah?" My brother then turned to my other best friend. She gave him a flirty smile in return and nodded.

As much as I liked the lake, I feel like I owe it to Wesley to go to the creek with him. I've been waiting for a chance like this. On the other hand, Rhett's gaze is making me rethink going with Wes. It's like his green orbs spark something inside of me.

I like Rhett. But, I like Wesley too.

When I look back and forth between the two boys sitting at the table, I realize that my heart is in big trouble. I have feelings for both, and I can't just choose one over the other. Wesley is comfort—home, while Rhett is new and alluring.

Maybe I could find a medium.

"Why don't all ya'll come to the creek today instead?"

What's the worse thing that could happen when a pack of werewolves show up at a high school party?

•••

A/N

It's been so long, I know! Sorry! I was on vacation and then got stuck due to a wildfire.

What do you think? Rhett or Wesley? Would you be mad at your best friend for keeping that secret from you?

Thanks for reading! Comment and vote! (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.3K 2.1K 35
Seventeen year old Kayla Simmons has always been normal, completely ordinary. So when the new guy in town comes and completely changes everything she...
217 34 30
They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all. Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had othe...
447K 12.7K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
1.3K 25 18
Emery learns that Werewolves do exist in Wolverine Lake, Michigan when she finds a diary that was left behind in her new home. If you enjoy paranorma...