Trust & Regret (Asuna and Kaz...

By InanimateTears

I want to do things my way. I want to prevent things from happening to me. Who is he? Who is she? He must be... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
*Update and a Tag*
Chapter 11

Chapter 10

907 16 1
By InanimateTears

Asuna

     After school I got home and started up the stairs to my room, but was stopped by my mom. "How was school?" She asked.

     "It was ok," I replied.

     "How are your classes going?"

     "Their doing ok too." Where was this going? She usually doesn't keep things short and simple. But since, she doesn't seem to be in an awful mood, I suppose this would be the perfect time to ask. "Would it be alright if I stay out later tomorrow? I have a partner project that I need to get started on."

     She cocked an eyebrow. "A partner project? What is your partners name?"

     "Uh."

     Should I tell her? But if I told her that my partner is a boy, she will probably not let me go alone, and she'll insist on meeting him to see if anything is going on between us. Since she knows that I have despised every guy that they had me meet. Though, of course, I have no intentions of being in a relationship with anyone, including Kazuto. But I don't want to risk telling her about him.

     "Her name is Rika. She's in my first period. She has lend me her notes so I could know what they have been learning so far," I heard myself say.

     Did I seriously just lie to my mom over a boy? What am I thinking?

      "I'd like to meet her soon, she sounds nice."

     Yes, that's why I lied. I really don't want them to meet him. There would be too many problems if that were to happen. Especially if they question why I befriended a boy all of a sudden.

     "I'll see what I can do," I smiled. "I have a few homework assignments that I have to do, so I'm going to head to my room."

     "Alright. Remember, dinner is at five."

     As I finished with what homework I had, I took out Kazuto's number and looked at it. Is this really a good idea? Once he has my number, he can have it as long as he wants, even when we are finished with the project. Do I really want to risk it? To risk him talking and spreading things?

     But he promised he wouldn't.

     But when has that ever stopped someone before?

     No, I can change my number if something happens. So everything will be ok.

     I took out my phone and registered his number.

     Asuna: Hi, this is Asuna. I hit send and waited. I hope this isn't a prank number. That would be embarrassing.

     As I waited, I talked a bit with Kaori and Aiko in our group chat. I didn't mention my current situation because I'm scared that Aiko would tease me, and I don't want to be more anxious around Kazuto.

     I'd rather not put myself through that, and not have to think about relationships. I'll most likely wait until college or afterwards. By then, maybe someone will truly care about me, and I will do the same.

     My phone vibrated against my hand, thinking it was the group chat, and once I checked to see, it was Kazuto instead.

     Kazuto: Yo

     I replied of course, telling him things were set for tomorrow, and asked if he wanted me to bring anything. All he said was the usual materials for projects. Luckily I always have stacks of binder paper, ready at any given moment.

     I took out a spare bag and put everything inside that I thought we might need. I then went by my desk and looked out of the window. I could clearly see dozens of other houses and skyscrapers in the far distance.

     This spot is perfect at night. You can see the city lights perfectly, just like if we were in the actual city. Too bad the city is the worse place to witness meteor showers. I have yet to see one, since most of them show up on school nights. But one night, I will find the perfect spot and time to see one.

     I turn away from the window to look at the clock. Dinner is just about ready. I should start my way down before my mom gets irritated.

      Everyone ate in silence. My parents faces seemed to speak frustration as I glanced at them. Either something was up, or they are having a bad day. I know we usually don't talk while we eat, but I couldn't help but speak up.

     "Is everything ok?" I asked.

     "Asuna, we are eating," My mom said dully not glancing up at me.

     "I know, but you look like something is bothering you."

     "It's none of your concern."

     I continued anyway. "I'm part of the family too."

     My mom finally looked at me with her cold expression. "You are just a child. There is nothing you should be worried about. Now eat."

      Why won't anyone tell me the truth? Why can't I know what is going on? Am I really just a child? I felt insulted and embarrassed. I trust my parents. So, why can't they trust me?

     Not hungry anymore, I stood up from the table. "I'm done eating." I walked to the closed dining room doors and opened them.

      "Asuna," I stopped moving.

     "Why am I just a child?" I asked shakely. "I just want to know if everything is ok. Ever since you two started talking in secret, I just feel so oblivious to everything. Like, you told me we were moving last minute. That had to be months of planning. Why am I always left out on important information? I'm going to be in college soon. An official adult. So, why am I just a child? Why do you guys have to keep secrets from me? I bet my brother knows more than me, and he hasn't even been here!"

     Feeling light headed from speaking my mind, and no longer wanting to stick around, I went into my room as fast as I could.

     I shut the door behind me and went to go lay on my bed. Why, I asked myself. Why can't I know about anything? I don't want to be left in the dark. I feel hopeless.

      Maybe I am hopeless. Maybe I am just a child.

     I buried my face in my pillow, wanting to cry, but there was a knock on my door, and my dad's voice followed. I didn't answer and continued to lay there. Please leave me alone.

     The last thing I wanted was to upset my parents and have them angry at me. But I do want to know why they are acting this way.

     "Asuna," My dad says again, opening the door. "Your mother wasn't trying to come off like that. She's just having a hard time right now with the adjustment." He paused and sat at the edge of my bed. "But, I know you are too. I'm sorry we didn't tell you about the move. We know how hard it is to move away from the place you grew up, and that's why we waited. Though, we had to move quicker than we had hoped."

     That's when I turned to face him. "What do you mean?" I asked.

     He noticed my curiosity and changed the subject.

    "Dad."

     "It's nothing to worry about," He replied.

     I rolled over again. "You're just like mom."

     "Asuna, it's not that we don't care about not telling you. We just don't want to worry you with our troubles. We know you have a lot on your plate with school, and we don't want to add more stress. It's our fault that we had to do this, not yours. We never want to burden you with our mistakes. Please understand that we love you and want the best for you." He patted my shoulder and got up. "Now off to calm your mother."

     I continued to lay there, thinking about what he had said. I know that they want the best for me. They tell me every time I question something. And I understand that they don't want me worrying about their problems, but their problems reflect onto me since I live in the same house. I see how they look and act and it makes me upset when they aren't their usual selves. I just don't want them carrying all the problems themselves and make them stress.

      But they are right. I shouldn't butt in. They can handle this. However, I still can't help but wonder why my dad said we had to move sooner than expected.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.3K 1K 20
After Kirito and Asuna finally escape Sword Art Online things begin to go back to normal. Well, only for Kirito. Asuna's anxiety is now nearly killin...
181K 2.6K 28
After Kirito's Aunt dies in a car accident Kirito and his cousin have to move into their close friend's house, which is hours away from their old hou...
10K 202 48
I found a medow of flowers near a river and decided to lay down watching the clouds, they look so real, they are real. At least to me, this all feels...
155K 3.8K 21
** Completed ** You were Y/N. You were 16, in highschool. You had a best friend named B/F, and a boyfriend named Kazuto Kirigaya. You both were toget...