City in the Clouds

By BloodRedAxe

Amy lives a normal life. She has a loving family, great friends and is good at almost every sport. Suddenly a... More

City in the Clouds
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 17

55 3 0
By BloodRedAxe

(*Drew's POV*)

It was morning and Flame was still lying on a log, unconscious. Pea was kneeling on the ground, sorting through our supplies.

"You didn't wake her up like you promised!" I glared.

Crystal shrugged. "She needed the sleep, trust me"

"She's going to be mad." I warned.

"At you, not me!" She scoffed.

"Why me?"

"She knew I wouldn't wake her up so she was counting on you to do that instead."

"That's not fair! I didn't know!

"Well that's too bad!" Flame sat up, rubbing her eyes. Despite having slept so long she still had dark circles under her eyes.

"Here's your breakfast!" Crystal said, handing it to her cheerily.

"What are you so happy about?" Flame grumbled. "Did you and Drew start going out behind my back?"

"That's right!" Crystal laughed, wrapping her arm around me in a head lock. "We're so in love! We've already decided to get married when we return home!"

"Why wait? I'm sure someone could do that in town." Flame remarked bitterly as she pushed her food around with her fork.

"Wait... Flame... it's..." I struggled.

Flame smiled weakly, "I know. We were only joking Drew. Stop taking everything so seriously." Crystal let go of me and walked away laughing.

I smiled, glad that she was almost all the way back to normal. I sat down next to her and hugged her tightly. "I only take it seriously because I wory about you."

----------------------------------------------

(Flame's POV)

Of course I was upset that they didn't wake me up, but that was all in the past.

They didn't and that's that.

"There's a town nearby, someone there might know where Amy is!" Crystal called as we ran through the forest.

"How close is it?" Drew gasped.

"A mile, maybe two. We should be able to make it in ten to twenty minutes- earth time."

"Earth time?" I asked, "Is time here different?"

"Yeah, the entire day is a few hours longer. A couple hours of day time and a couple hours of night time."

"That gives us a longer time to search." Drew remarked.

"Yes, and we need all of the time we can get."

"Well what are we waiting for?" I grinned. "Lets pick up the pace!"

I sprinted ahead of the other two.

"Hey, wait up guys!" Drew called, falling behind.

"Hurry up slow poke!" Crystal shouted back to him as she picked up her pace as well.

I laughed as I ran. This was the most happy, the most free I'd felt in such a long time. Lately I felt as if there was something dark weighing me down.

'Things will get better as soon as we find Amy.' I reassured myself.

Finally we broke through the dense forest right along the edge of a village.

"How long did that take?" I panted.

"About 5 minutes their time." Crystal said casually, as if we had just been walking in the park.

"Not bad." I grinned.

"That's fifteen minutes our time."

"Still, not so bad." My smile faltered. "Where's Drew?"

"I'm here!" Drew gasped, clutching his side. "How are you guys able to run so fast?"

"It's our magic," Crystal smiled. "it helps us run faster and farther."

"How come my magic isn't helping me?" Drew complained.

"You're magic is different than ours." Crystal said as if that explained everything, which it didn't.

"Come on, let's go find Amy!" I cheered running through the gate, completely ignoring the guards in the way.

"Hey, Flame! Wait up!" Crystal called chasing after me and quickly paying the guards the crossing fee.

------------------------------------------------

I collapsed in the center of town, exhausted. "We've been looking all day and we didn't find anything about her!"

"You didn't expect to find her right away did you?" Crystal laughed.

"No, I guess you're right." I sighed, disappointed.

Drew put his arm around me comfortingly and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Don't worry, we'll find her. No matter what it takes we will."

"Drew, why don't you go grab us some lunch." Crystal said handing him some coins.

"But I..."

"You'll figure it out. Just get anything edible."

"Alright." He said uncertainly before walking away.

Crystal and I sat in silence on the edge of a large fountain staring at the shimmering coins of copper, silver and gold at the bottom of the fountain's marble basin.

"Crystal, did you get those coins from the fountain?" I asked nervously.

"It's not like they were for anything." She shrugged.

I looked between my legs at a bronze plaque, drilled into the white marble. "It says it was for orphans."

Crystal shrugged. "That's ok, we're pretty much orphan's ourselves." I laughed before we lapsed into another period of silence.

"Excuse me? Mrs. Potsbalam? Have you seen anyone asking around for a girl?" A loud voice asked and I lifted my head in surprise.

"Yes, I believe those two over there by the fountain were searching for a girl." She said in hushed tones, pointing towards us.

"Crystal?" I whispered.

"Mmmhmmm?"

"You heard all of that, right?"

"Right."

"Should we attack?" I asked, fidgeting; ready to fight.

"No lets see what blondie wants." She said, not even bothering to look up from a book she had bought earlier.

"Excuse me?" I looked up to see a faerie woman standing before us with long blonde hair.

"What do you want?" I scoffed.

"I hear you've been causing a fuss asking around about someone."

"What do you care?"

"I thought I may be able to help."

I stood angrily. "We don't need you're-!"

Crystal put a hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down.

"What do you want in return?" She asked standing to glare at her in the eyes.

The faerie smiled smugly. "Tell me who you're looking for and why."

I shot up again determined to get a say in the conversation. "We're looking for..." This time Crystal slapped her hand over my mouth.

"I'm sorry, my friend here just loves to blurt things out." She apologized, much to my distaste. "How do we know we can trust you?"

The woman grinned as if that had been the question she'd hoped we'd ask. "You just don't."

Crystal sighed in defeat. "Fine, we're looking for a girl named Amy, she has Orange hair... Brown eyes."

I bit Crystal's fingers and she released her hand from my mouth immediately. "Please! You have to help me find my sister!" I begged, reaching out to grab her shoulders.

Crystal stopped me again, this time pushing me into the fountain.

"I apologize... again." She said through gritted teeth.

The faerie stared at us in awe. "Amy's.... sister?"

"Yes." I said calmly.

"That can't be true!" She exclaimed her face stricken with terror. "But that means..." Her voice trailed off.

"Means what?" Crystal asked.

"It means we have made a terrible mistake."

Continue Reading