Element

By wienssm

Five Elements. One school. In a world unknown to man, there is a place called Dimicel. Each person who lives... More

✷ Prologue
✭ Chapter 1
✯ Chapter 2
✭ Chapter 3
✯ Chapter 4
✭ Chapter 5
✯ Chapter 6
✭ Chapter 7
✯ Chapter 8
✭ Chapter 9
✯ Chapter 10
✭ Chapter 11
✯ Chapter 12
✭ Chapter 13
✯ Chapter 14
✭ Chapter 15
✯ Chapter 16
✭ Chapter 17
✯ Chapter 18
✭ Chapter 19
✯ Chapter 20
✭ Chapter 21
✯ Chapter 22
✯ Chapter 24
✭ Chapter 25
✯ Chapter 26
✭ Chapter 27
✯ Chapter 28
✭ Chapter 29
✯ Chapter 30
✭ Chapter 31
✯ Chapter 32
✭ Chapter 33
✯ Chapter 34
✭ Chapter 35
✯ Chapter 36
✭ Chapter 37
✯ Chapter 38
✭ Chapter 39
✯ Chapter 40
A bit of news...
✭ Chapter 41
✯ Chapter 42
✭ Chapter 43
✯ Chapter 44
✭ Chapter 45
✯ Chapter 46
✭ Chapter 47
✯ Chapter 48
✭ Chapter 49
✯ Chapter 50
✭ Chapter 51
✯ Chapter 52
✭ Chapter 53
✯ Chapter 54 (and explanation)
✭ Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Epilogue Part 1
Epilogue Part Two
Epilogue Part 3

✭ Chapter 23

4.3K 211 33
By wienssm

I'm walking through the halls slowly. Tears are streaming down my face. I need a break. I have to get away. The willow.

Outside it's cold. So bitterly cold and dark. Shivers wrack my body, as well as sobs. I sprint to the willow, pulling up the hem of my dress. My lungs are burning, but the pain feels good. I run into the clearing, and look around frantically. There is no escape. There is no shelter from the pain. My eyes squeeze shut as hot tears stream out. Shrinking down, I place my hands onto the ground. The snow bites at my fingers. I let my knees fall to the floor, and then my elbows. Moisture seeps into the beautiful dress that I will never wear again. I hear footsteps crunching through the pine needles.

"So this is where you ran to." The voice, and footsteps belong to Payson.

I look up at him. He's wearing a dark blue shirt, and black pants His white leather jacket is draped over his shoulder. "They're worried about you."

I sink back down. "Please," I whisper hoarsely, "Go away. I need..." Tears run down my face quietly. "I need to be... alone," I finally spit out.

"Nobody wants to be alone. Brooke and the others are looking for you. I wanted to know if you were okay, but I guess this answers everything." he says, motioning to my curled up form.

I glare up at him from where I am on my knees. "You don't say!"

But I'm also relieved he's not trying to comfort me. I would just cry more.

"You're going to catch a cold." he says, backing away. His white leather jacket flies through the air and lands on my shoulders. Our eyes meet, and his blue eyes almost seem to glow in the dark. He turns away and starts walking.

"Payson?"

He stops walking, but doesn't turn. "Yeah?"

"Happy Solstice," I manage to get out. He smiles, and I smile weakly back. Then he goes.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

The cold snow finally drives me to leave, but if it weren't for that, I don't think I ever would have gone. As I walk back, I take deep breaths. In, out. In, out. The cold air freezes my throat and lungs, so I walk as quickly as I can all the way to my dorm. I collapse on my bed, one last sob escaping my mouth. Somehow I change into pajamas and get in bed. And then I sleep. I sleep for what seems like a million hours, just trying to recover from the winter solstice night.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

The next day, I sleep till noon. Wintry sunlight softly makes its way through my blinds, waking me. I yawn. Last night seems like a dream, with the extreme emotions I went through. I shake my head, clearing it and focusing on the new day. I see two slips of folded paper right in front of my door. Slowly, I make my way over and pick one up.

Zaiden Tirasty

First gift is a treat or candy, Deliver to newsroom by December 24

Second gift is a clothing item, Deliver by December 30

Final gift is a New Year's card, Deliver by December 31.

The secret giver! I forgot all about that. So, Zaiden's my buddy. What a small world. And I have to get him candy in the next two days. Simple enough. I'll go shopping in Central City tomorrow morning. I open the next slip.

Ramaya Naciat,

It has come to my attention that you have applied for Battle Team, Air. The tryouts will begin on January 3rd at 2:00 sharp, and will continue until the 5th. It will be a pleasure to see you there.

-General Forge

Tryouts begin on the 3rd. Okay. I've got to start practicing. Normally, I'd want to with Brooke, Alanna, and Kaelie, but after last night, I'm really not in the mood for questions. Plus, I want someone experienced. Payson. I need to return his jacket anyways, so it's the perfect excuse. I grab his jacket, which is sitting on the desk chair, and run to breakfast.

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

I don't grab a seat at our normal table, and gobble down my eggs fast. I see Kaelie and Alanna come into the hall. Ducking down as they walk by, I feel bad. But I am really in no mood to have a meaningful conversation. I stay low until I see Payson walking out of the room by himself. Then, I dash out of the room to catch up to him.

"Payson!" He whirls around, and I shove his jacket into his hands. "Here. This is yours." I say.

"Oh, um... Thanks." He replies.

"What are you doing today?"

"Nothing, wh-"

"Can you help me?"

"With your manners? Yup." He says chuckling, as we walk down the path.

"No!" I say smacking his arm lightly. "I'm trying out for Battle Team, and I need someone to train with! You were already on Battle Team so I thought you could help me."

"Fine. But you could of asked my sister and your other friends. Train with them."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Really? Do you really think I want to be questioned? Plus, I need someone with experience."

"I'll do it. Meet me in the thicket at 11."

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

At 10:55, I'm making my way to the willow. The sun has come out for longer today than it has in a while, and I soak it all up. But there's still snow. A lot of snow. I would have to trudge through it all, but instead I just fly above it all the way to the thicket. Moments later, as I'm climbing into the tree, Payson shows up, pants covered in snow. I smile for the first time today, realizing flying has some great advantages to it.

"So, um, hi. What do you want to start with?" he asks.

Woah. I just had deja vu, but instead I'm the one being taught. I shake my head to clear it and say "I don't know. What do you find most important in combat?"

"Well, a lot of people might say strength or power, but I say strategy. However since we don't currently have another team to battle, I guess we will have to work on strength."

I nod. "Alright. Seems simple."

"Uh-huh..." he trails off with a smile.

"What?"

"Well, strength also includes physical strength, not just your elemental strength. So, go run a lap around the flying field."

"Wha-? In the snow?"

"Yup. Ready, set, go!"

I gawk for a moment, but then turn to run. The snow makes it a million times harder, but somehow I push through. I finally return to the willow, breathing really hard. I sink down to the ground, exhausted.

"Well, your powers might be alright, but this," he spreads his arms towards me, "is what we need to work on."

"So, you're going to be my fitness trainer the next few days?"

"Yup. That's what it seems to be."

"Ugh!"

"You know, I don't have to help you..."

"No! Please! I'll do it. I just want to make it."

He chuckles. "Ok, ok. But get up."

I stand up clumsily, brushing snow off of my pants.

"Ten push ups."

I look at him. "But I just got up-"

"Ten push ups."

I groan and get back on the ground and do ten push ups, the last five rather shakily.

"Good. You're doing good. Now, 20 curl ups. This will be our warm-up. The lap, then the push ups, then the curl ups."

I look at him wide-eyed. "Just a warm-up?"

"Hey, I'm warning you now, Battle Team will be mighty hard if you're not in shape fast."

"Alright, fine." I manage the curl ups a bit better than the push ups.

"What... What now?" I say, breathing deeply.

He smiles. "Now the real training begins."

•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

We spent the next two and a half hours working on everything strength related. More conditioning, then working on strong and focused wind gusts. Payson explained to me that it sometimes comes down to hand-to-hand combat, so he taught me two simple punches. Now, as I'm walking to the dining room to catch the last few minutes of lunchtime, I'm exhausted, my muscles ache, and I'm sweaty. I avoid talking to people, and quietly get some food. I eat alone, then walk to my dorm. The shower feels nice, and soon I'm in better spirits because I realize by training now, I'll have a better chance of getting in, and once I do, I won't struggle right off the bat.

I walk out of my room to be met by Brooke, Kaelie, and Alanna. "Woah! Hey guys!" I say, nearly bumping into them.

"Hey Ramaya," Kaelie says. "Are you alright?"

"Well, I wasn't last night, but I'm much better now. I'm really sorry I didn't come find you, I wasn't in any mood to talk." I frown.

"That's alright. We understand," Alanna says kindly. "But I heard you... got in a fight with your sister?"

I look down. "Yeah," I say softly. "I did."

"About what?" Brooke asks quietly.

"Parisa... she... went to Yvette's party."

They all gasp.

"And not only that, but she helped them plan it."

Kaelie hugs me suddenly. "I'm sorry."

"About what? My sister? She's changed, guys." I pull away from her hug. "She's changed, and I don't think she'll ever come around again."

Brooke looks forlorn. "She was... always so cute and innocent... But now... That's all gone."

All of a sudden Ellis and Aately come racing down the hall, then stop at us. "You're Ramaya, right?" Aately asks in a panicked voice.

"Um... Yes. Why?" I ask, my voice trailing off nervously.

"We need your help! Parisa... We can't find her anywhere and it's been like this all day!" Ellis says.

My eyes widen. Even though my sister isn't the same, I still love her! "Holy crap! Guys, let's go!" And we go racing down the hall.

Dun dun dunnnnn!
Not sure what to say in this author's note, so.....
Thanks for reading! More coming soon!
Megan and Wien

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 28 14
One girl. Extreme power. Victoria Addison 'Tori' Morale lives in Florencia, a huge city where at the age of 17 your given your Element. An Element th...
7.4K 284 9
Earth, water, air and fire are the four known elements that gives balance and harmony to nature. There is also another element but not quite as know...
2.6K 211 25
On a war decimated earth, there are few safe places, and even fewer safe cities. All that's left are ruins, woods, and cities where humans are trying...
202K 6.7K 33
(Soon to be an eBook) Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Lightning, and Ice. These are the six main elements of the world. Fire to warm you. ...