under my skin || n.h. au

By cupsoffics

Brooklyn thinks Niall is the most annoying person she's ever met. He doesn't take things seriously, he likes... More

one: the playful conversation starts
two: it starts with a picture
three: clumsy with words
four: killing souls together
five: screaming on the inside
six: here's to the awkwardness
seven: pull me backwards
eight: carry me home tonight
nine: my thoughts echo your name
ten: speak now or forever hold your peace
eleven: we could be gigantic
twelve: you got into my head
thirteen: one mile at a time
fourteen: would you like me still
fifteen: i won't let you down and run
sixteen: i wanna shout about it
seventeen: you can hear it in the silence
eighteen: found my missing piece
epilogue: we can make this work
spinoff

prologue: and the bet begins

9.2K 175 104
By cupsoffics

Brooklyn's in the middle of pouring sugar into her black coffee when Niall walks into the break room with a shit-eating grin smeared across his face. She's known him long enough to know what that grin means: he's just won another bet with another person who's stupid enough to make a bet with him.

"Thaaank you, David," he says as he shoves the money that was put onto his palm into his pocket. There's a hint of smugness in his voice that makes Brooklyn roll her eyes. "I told you I could throw raisins into Fred's mouth while he's sleeping and not choke him."

David simply groans, clearly unhappy that he's just lost the bet. No one has ever been happy to lose a bet to Niall, no one except Harry. Niall's best friend or biggest fan – Brooklyn still hasn't figured that out yet.

"Another bet, Niall? Really?" Brooklyn doesn't bother to look up and look at Niall's face as she says that. She continues stirring her coffee, making sure that the sugar will dissolve completely before she takes a sip.

"Another coffee, Brooklyn? Really?" Niall nags as he moves towards her. When he doesn't get a rise out of that, he tries again. "You're just jealous because I've won the most bets around here."

"Please, it's not a competition."

"Again, I stand by my words: you're just jealous."

Brooklyn looks up, her eyes meeting his, and soon they find themselves staring at each other without blinking. She feels her eyes sting from the intensity of this but she doesn't want to give up just yet. She doesn't want to lose in this staring competition.

Eventually, she blinks and Niall starts laughing. She hates that sound so much.

"Jealous," he whispers.

"Not at all," she drawls out, grinning when he kinks an eyebrow at her. "I pity you, that's all."

"I pity you." He replies, his voice slightly high-pitched. Although it's a weak attempt to make her annoyed, it works.

"Shut up," Brooklyn shakes her head as she brings the cup up to her lips. Before she can take a sip of the coffee, Niall takes the cup from her hand and drinks it. As soon as he gives back the cup, Brooklyn takes a tissue and wipes the brim. "Ew, you're disgusting."

"What?" He looks confused. "It's just a drink."

"Ugh," she groans. She honestly can't deal with Niall. Especially when he's being this annoying. "Just shut up, please?"

He does shut up – for thirty seconds. He leans closer, then, invading Brooklyn's personal space. "You know, you're the only person who hasn't done a bet with me," he points out. Corners of his mouth tugs upwards, he adds, "Yet."

"That's because I'm not childish."

"Or it's because you're afraid you're going to lose," he argues, wriggling his eyebrows at her.

She narrows her eyes and grits her teeth. "I never lose."

"Then prove it," he challenges, knowing full well that she doesn't like being challenged – one of the many things that he's learned about her. As expected, her eyes widen and Niall's pretty sure he sees fire in her eyes. So, he prods, "Make a bet with me."

Brooklyn stares at his face whilst her brain makes a short analysis on whether or not she should agree with him. She's not afraid of losing to him because she knows there's no way she's going to let him win if they were to make a bet. But on the other hand, she doesn't want him to have anything to hold against her.

"Nope," she shakes her head and makes her way to the exit, "Not gonna fall for that."

"C'mon Cooper!" He throws his hands up as he follows her. Before she gets to leave the break room, he blocks her way and says, "You're so boring. Do something fun with me."

"I'm not boring," she frowns, to which he shakes his head, disagreeing. Now she's offended.

"Uh, yes you are," he counters, "Ask Harry."

As though he can sense he's needed in the conversation – or maybe he has a really good hearing – Harry appears from behind Brooklyn, startling her and says, "I have to agree with Niall, you are – no offence – boring."

Whereas Niall grins as though to say 'I told you so', Brooklyn lets out a gasp. "You two obviously don't know the definition of boring."

"Boring: someone who doesn't want to make a bet with Niall Horan." He says confidently. Harry agrees with a nod.

"You're so annoying," Brooklyn mutters under her breath. If she gets a pound each time she says that, she's pretty sure she can afford her dream car or she can just quit and stay at home so she doesn't have to face Niall.

"Make a bet with me?" He asks again, his lips pulled into a huge smile. Brooklyn mulls over his question or rather, request. Niall gets on his knee, then, and Brooklyn almost drops her coffee as she immediately takes a few steps away from him. Niall remains on his knee, chuckling. "Brooklyn Cooper, will you make a bet with me?"

And then everyone in the break room seems to pay attention to them. Brooklyn glares at Niall, muttering words that no one but her can hear and understand. "I hate you," she says to him. She knows Niall and she knows that he's not going to stand up until she agrees. "But fine."

"She said yes!" He exclaims as he jumps up and moves towards Brooklyn. He takes her hand and pretends to put on a ring on her finger.

"You're the worst."

"I'm the best, I know," he grins. "So, what should the bet be, huh?"

"Who gets their article published in the special issue by the end of the year wins." Harry suggests. "There's about six or seven months left, anyway, that'll give you both time to prepare."

At the mention of the words special issue, Brooklyn's perks up and her eyes widen. Everyone wants to get their articles published in that issue because it offers a huge step up in their career. Being a woman who loves her job so much, Brooklyn would do anything to get that. She didn't get her article published last year and the year before, so she's going to make sure it's going to happen this year. She has a feeling that this year is her year.

"Very good idea, Harry, thank you," Niall nods.

Harry grins, happy with himself. He loves getting compliments from Niall – it's weird. "You're welcome, Niall."

"So," Niall claps his hands together before saying, "We all know how much of a big deal the special issue is to everyone. Especially you, Cooper."

"Which means I'll easily win," Brooklyn muses, starting to like the idea of being able to beat Niall. "I've started working on my exceptional article six months ago."

"Yeah? I started seven months ago."

"Really?"

"No?" He admits. She rolls her eyes – she can't believe she fell for that. Niall always prefers to do something in the last minute and she wouldn't be surprised if he'd work on his special article the night before they're supposed to submit it. "Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, when I win I'll get to take you out on a date."

"What?" Brooklyn shrieks. "I thought you wanted money?"

"That wouldn't be fun, would it?" He winks. Oh God, maybe it's a bad idea to agree to this. "And what do you want if you win?"

Brooklyn taps her fingertips against her chin whilst she racks her brain for a punishment. "You'll have to buy me coffee every morning, for a year," she grins, noticing the slight change in his feature. "Don't you dare bring me coffee from this break room, I would know."

"Nooo," he cries – rather dramatically if you ask Brooklyn – whilst shaking his head. Next to him, Harry simply chuckles and mutters 'nice one', to which Niall scowls at him. Harry presses his lips together. "Coffee for a year? But you like expensive coffee!"

"Your call, Niall," she says. The ball is in her court now and she's never felt more powerful as she watches Niall throws his head back and groans. "Deal?"

"Deal."

Instead of shaking her hand, he grabs it and leads her out of the break room and to middle of the office. "Attention everyone!" He shouts, to which Brooklyn winces as he's standing right next to her, his mouth so close to her ear. He grins as though he knows just exactly what she thinks. Everyone turns to look at them, including those from upstairs. "Brooklyn and I have agreed to make a bet," he pauses as some people gasp. Brooklyn rolls her eyes; everyone's being dramatic. "Shocking, I know. But it's gonna be a fun bet. I get to take her out on a date if, when I win-"

"Which he won't," Brooklyn decides to interject.

"Ignoring that," he says to her, ignoring her groan altogether, before he continues, "And if I lose, which I doubt, I'll have to buy her expensive coffee every morning for a year. So let the bet begins!"

Everyone claps their hands – some even go so far as to cheer – even though they don't really know what Brooklyn and Niall have to do in order to win.

"Get ready to lose," Niall whispers in Brooklyn's ear before he begins making his way to his desk, walking backwards so he can continue on annoying her with his stupid grin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70.5K 719 31
Brooklyn Jones? Doesn't ring a bell, well not yet it doesn't. She's a fashion designer, 22 years old. She graduated from FIT and is about to start a...
116K 2.2K 42
When Shannon think she's just texting her friend she will get the shock of life when she realises she's texting one of the members of the biggest bo...
1.9K 76 3
Nina is taught to believe that everything happens for a reason and whilst she does believe it, that doesn't stop her from complaining about how much...
492K 15.8K 46
Kaya and Niall hate each other. He's her annoying next door neighbor who's made her life miserable ever since she was born. Kaya thinks Niall does it...