prologue: and the bet begins

Brooklyn's in the middle of pouring sugar into her black coffee when Niall walks into the break room with a shit-eating grin smeared across his face. She's known him long enough to know what that grin means: he's just won another bet with another person who's stupid enough to make a bet with him.

"Thaaank you, David," he says as he shoves the money that was put onto his palm into his pocket. There's a hint of smugness in his voice that makes Brooklyn roll her eyes. "I told you I could throw raisins into Fred's mouth while he's sleeping and not choke him."

David simply groans, clearly unhappy that he's just lost the bet. No one has ever been happy to lose a bet to Niall, no one except Harry. Niall's best friend or biggest fan – Brooklyn still hasn't figured that out yet.

"Another bet, Niall? Really?" Brooklyn doesn't bother to look up and look at Niall's face as she says that. She continues stirring her coffee, making sure that the sugar will dissolve completely before she takes a sip.

"Another coffee, Brooklyn? Really?" Niall nags as he moves towards her. When he doesn't get a rise out of that, he tries again. "You're just jealous because I've won the most bets around here."

"Please, it's not a competition."

"Again, I stand by my words: you're just jealous."

Brooklyn looks up, her eyes meeting his, and soon they find themselves staring at each other without blinking. She feels her eyes sting from the intensity of this but she doesn't want to give up just yet. She doesn't want to lose in this staring competition.

Eventually, she blinks and Niall starts laughing. She hates that sound so much.

"Jealous," he whispers.

"Not at all," she drawls out, grinning when he kinks an eyebrow at her. "I pity you, that's all."

"I pity you." He replies, his voice slightly high-pitched. Although it's a weak attempt to make her annoyed, it works.

"Shut up," Brooklyn shakes her head as she brings the cup up to her lips. Before she can take a sip of the coffee, Niall takes the cup from her hand and drinks it. As soon as he gives back the cup, Brooklyn takes a tissue and wipes the brim. "Ew, you're disgusting."

"What?" He looks confused. "It's just a drink."

"Ugh," she groans. She honestly can't deal with Niall. Especially when he's being this annoying. "Just shut up, please?"

He does shut up – for thirty seconds. He leans closer, then, invading Brooklyn's personal space. "You know, you're the only person who hasn't done a bet with me," he points out. Corners of his mouth tugs upwards, he adds, "Yet."

"That's because I'm not childish."

"Or it's because you're afraid you're going to lose," he argues, wriggling his eyebrows at her.

She narrows her eyes and grits her teeth. "I never lose."

"Then prove it," he challenges, knowing full well that she doesn't like being challenged – one of the many things that he's learned about her. As expected, her eyes widen and Niall's pretty sure he sees fire in her eyes. So, he prods, "Make a bet with me."

Brooklyn stares at his face whilst her brain makes a short analysis on whether or not she should agree with him. She's not afraid of losing to him because she knows there's no way she's going to let him win if they were to make a bet. But on the other hand, she doesn't want him to have anything to hold against her.