fourteen: would you like me still

"Do you want me to do it for you?"

"What? No, of course not. I don't... I wouldn't want to let Mr Storm down."

Niall chuckles. The sound doesn't sound as good when it's through a phone call. She didn't see him at all this weekend and she's ashamed to admit that she misses him.

"He won't mind," he says. "Besides, it's his fault for informing you 'bout it in the last minute. What time did he email you?"

"2 am."

"That's a bit unprofessional, don't you think?"

Brooklyn lets out a sigh. She desperately wants to agree with Niall, but Mr Storm is her superior and unprofessional or not, she can't bring herself to say no to him. Even when he sent her an email at two in the morning to tell her that she needs to show the guy he recently hired around the office – he also included an attachment, which is the new guy's CV. Apparently his previous work place is the company Mr Storm used to work at ten years ago and Brooklyn has a feeling that's why he hired him; they share something in common.

"Or do you want Harry to take over?" Niall suggests. She hears him shutting the door so she has to ask if he's locked it. When he told her that sometimes he forgot to lock it, she's so alarmed that she makes sure to remind him of it every morning. "I've locked it, don't worry. On a second thought, please do. It's cute that you're worried about me."

Brooklyn feels her cheeks warming up. She's already at work so she bows her head, afraid someone could see her flushed cheeks. "Shut up."

Niall laughs. "So, do you want me to ask Harry a favour? He's good at showing new people around."

"He is good," she agrees – only because the said person isn't around. Brooklyn experienced first hand how good he is because Harry's the one who showed her around on her first day of work. She remembers how not for one second did he make her feel awkward and unwelcomed, the two things everyone fears on the first day.

"I'll ring him then."

"No," Brooklyn splutters. "I mean, Mr Storm asked me to do it so I'll do it."

She has never been asked to show anyone around yet so she takes this very seriously. Maybe the drinks they had the other day brought them closer – bless that awkward Friday evening.

"I can join you," Niall suggests. "I think we'd make a great pair. You show the boring parts of the office and I'll show the fun parts."

"You're not even here yet," Brooklyn replies. It would make her feel less nervous if Niall's with her but seeing that the new guy has just stepped out of the lift, she's left with no choice but to show him around all by herself. "Hey I think the new guy's here. I gotta go."

"Alright, I'll see you in ten."

Brooklyn ends the call, takes one last look at the picture in his CV and gets up from her seat once she's sure that he's the same guy. She approaches her new colleague, an easy smile on her lips. She doesn't want to frighten him, though he looks like he doesn't get scared easily. In fact, he has an air of confidence around him, but not in a bad way. Like he's been here a few times and he already knows his way around. That would make her job easier.

"Hi, I'm Brooklyn Cooper," Brooklyn introduces herself, sticking her hand out. "Mr Storm asked me to show you around."

"Dominic Temple," he replies as he shakes her hand. He has a firm handshake, she notices. "Please call me Dom."

"Okay," Brooklyn nods. If Niall's here, she bets he'd snort. Good thing, he's not. "So, do you want to look around first or would you like me to show you to your desk?"