Leave A Note

By 1998izzy

Melissa Hughes is a typical teenage girl except for one thing... she HATES boys, expecially one player named... More

Description
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
BC: Melissa's Mother's Day
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Author's Note
Chapter Eleven
Author's Note
Chapter Twelve: Life Or Death
Chapter Thirteen: The Three
Author's Note
Chapter Fifteen: Home
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Author's Note
Chapter Eighteen
Bonus Chapter- Merry Christmas
Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Fourteen: The Past

123 8 1
By 1998izzy

"Ash!" I squealed, looking up in to the boy who was currently dangling upside down on the tree , "Get down from there!"

He shook his head in protest and crossed his arms over his chest. "Make me," He challenged.

And I thought the boy knew better than that...

With one quick tug on his arm, he did a half front flip and landed on his knees on the grass. Luckily for me, he was close to the ground.

"Ouch!" He whined.

"Serves you right."

He rolled his eyes and stood up, cracking his back in the process. "You'll be the death of me woman."

"I'm only eight, the proper term is girl."

He shook his head but shut up and so I smirked in victory.

I turned my head towards the house to look for the others, they should be here soon. I feel something cold on my back and turn around just in time to be hit head on with a rush of water, drenching me from head to toe.

When it stops and my vision clears, I look to see an innocent looking Ashton holding a hose.

That meanie poo pants.

As if the gods hadn't punished me enough, I hear the screen door open followed by light footsteps.

"Water fight!" Sophia screams, running out the door and behind her I spot Nina, Annie, Chelsea and even Luke

Chelsea being Chelsea, manages to trip over the hose and ends the fight before it even began.

"Are you ok?" I ask, kneeling beside her.

"Sucker," She mutters and next thing I know, I get a hose to the face again.

I shook my head, "It is so on."

"I want to stay like this forever." Ash tells me, as we stand back to back.

"Me too."

I awoke with a start to find the whole class staring at me. Well this is awesome.

"Miss Hughes. Is my class that boring that you find the need to fall asleep?" Mrs Reed, our English teacher, asked as she slammed a ruler down on the desk in front of me.

I felt like I was going to faint. Ash's voice was echoing through my head as if I had only heard it yesterday. If that wasn't bad enough, the whole class was staring at me, barely containing their amused smiles.

I shook my head even though I wasn't paying much attention to what she had said. The only thing going through my mind was the word forever.

Ash said it and so did my mother. I feel like i'm missing something.

"Miss Hughes, are you listening to me?" She asking, slamming the ruler again.

My eyes shot up to meet hers as I nodded, trying to focus on what she was going to say.

"I said that if you ever fall asleep in my class again, you'll find your way to the principals office."

I once again nodded, but I felt no real promise in the action though it seemed good enough for her as she went back to her lesson.

"You look pale as a ghost," Annie commented turning my head to face her.

She and Luke had always been in this class and now that Sophia had enrolled, we shared English, Maths and Music together.

"Are you alright?" Luke asked, actually looking concerned for once.

I only had to mutter the word and they all understood, "Ash."

Sophia shook her head, "You know it isn't healthy to have dreams about him. When did this start."

"Mother, death." I felt like a caveman who couldn't even form a sentence, only small words that didn't fit together.

"Shit," Luke cursed, "When the hell did your mum die?"

I forgot that we hadn't told him.

"You didn't know?" Sophia asked.

He shook his head in confirmation, "Did you have a funeral I would have wanted to go."

"There wasn't a funeral, her father didn't want that. They just buried her." I told him. I could feel the dark thoughts starting to take me over to the point that their voices became incoherent mumbles.

"MELISSA!" I heard someone scream.

"MELISSA! Watch out!" I heard a scream from beside me, but my eyes were focused solely on the car approaching me at tremendous speeds.

I couldn't move, I was frozen.

"MELISSA!" I could only just hear the desperate pleas of my friends as the car was getting closer.

I knew this was it. The day I die.

I closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable, but it never came.

The last thing I remember is the body; the bodies of the ones who made me live.

"MELISSA!"

My vision slowly came back and I was now slightly aware of my surroundings.

I was laying on the ground, the whole class had surrounded me, trying to get a look.

"Oh thank god!" Sophia sobbed as she scooped me up into her arms.

I looked to the teacher who was frozen. She must feel guilty for yelling at me earlier. If she had of thought for a second it was serious she would have helped. She's not as mean as she first appears.

"It's ok miss," I comforted her, "You didn't know."

I saw tears welling in her eyes as she demanded the students to return to there seats and left the classroom saying she'd be back soon.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You tell us," Annie suggested.

I shook my head, "I'm not sure. All I remember is lights, like on a car."

"Do you remember what happened that night?" Luke asked, "The night it happened?"

I looked down, closing my eyes to search my memory for any scraps of evidence that I was even there.

"All I remember is paramedics and blood, lots of blood a-and-" I cut myself off before I said it.

I couldn't let them know, it would ruin them, especially Luke.

"And what?" Sophia coxed, after having calmed down a bit.

"Nothing, I can't remember,"

Is it possible for a person to feel so defeated, so dead inside. I've had dark memories implanted in my brain, making me sour to the world yet I can't even remember them.

"The lights, what was it about them?" Luke asked.

I stumbled a bit before speaking, "They were bright, and approaching me but they went back, as if I had closed my eyes. I remember people screaming my name but that's all."

I hate that it is so hard to remember my panic attacks.

All three of them nodded just as the teacher burst in with the school nurse.

"We should get you checked out," The nurse stated trying to get me to stand up.

Luke stood in between us and shook his head.

"I know what will help her. Do you mind if I take her out of school for the day?" He asked both the teacher and the nurse.

They looked hesitant but eventually agreed.

"Where are you going?" Annie asked Luke. He whispered something to her and she nodded with a smile.

I looked at Luke curiously but he didn't give away any hints, all he said was, "You'll see."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where are we?" I asked, looking out the window to the brick house.

It was nice. A small yet modern two0story house with ivy growing down the walls. It looked homey and sweet. The flowers in the garden bloomed and reflected vibrant colours to any onlookers.

It took a while to get here. I feel like we were driving for two hours, we were well out of town.

"I was having a bad day about a week ago and so I went to look up someone. I found out that they had moved here and came to visit. They cheered me up no end and I think they could help you too."

Ok, now I was beyond curious about this place.

We walked up the steps and he pressed the doorbell.

It had been five minutes without an answer and I was beginning to think that there was no one there until the door opened, revealing a familiar face.

I let out a gasp and quickly brought my hand to my mouth in unison to the familiar lady.

Tears steadily flowed down my cheeks as the lady pulled me into a hug, squeezing me tight.

"Melissa!" She greeted, hugging me even tighter.

"Sheryl?" I asked, looking to Luke for confirmation.

"I haven't seen you in forever sweetheart. I was starting to forget what you looked like." She commented, playfully hitting me on the shoulder.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, "You're not mad at me?" I asked

"Whatever for?"

I bowed my head in shame as the words left my mouth. "I killed your son."

She shook her head denying the truth. "You make it sound like you stabbed him or something. It wasn't your fault dear, you shouldn't blame yourself."

"Really?" I asked, building up hope. This woman was like a mother to me. I had avoided her for years thinking she hated me.

The Black's moved after Ashton had died. He had been Sheryl's son and they felt the need to get away from the town where the accident occured. I had never known where they'd gone to. I just figured they'd spend the rest of their lives blaming me for their son's death.

"Of course honey. Don't you ever feel like you're not welcome near us."

A genuine smile came to my face when she said this.

"Come in, I don't want you to catch a cold." She shooed us indoors and pushed us into what looked like their lounge room. "I'll go get us some coffee, I remember how you like it." With that she left the room.

I looked over to Luke and grinned, "Why didn't you tell me we were coming here?"

He simply shrugged, "I knew you'd say no."

"I would not!" I protested. After being sent a look I gave in, "Fine, I would have."

"Marsh Mellow?"

I turned around and saw a little girls head popping out the side wall, not literally, I guess she was hiding behing it.

"Poppy seed!" My face lit up with excitement as the little girl came running over to me, tackiling me in a hug.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"Well Poppy, Puke over there made me come, but I'm glad he did."

Poppy was Ashton's little sister, she was only four the last time I saw her and so she must be eight by now. We always came over to Ashton to play when we were younger and so Poppy grew quite fond of us, blessing us with nicknames.

Annie was 'Ann Bans'

Chelsea was 'Sea Salt'

Luke was 'Puke'

Sophia was 'Princess Mia'

Nina was 'Nenar Nina' (A/N: they're pronounced the same, it's a sound people make when they're make fun of people sometimes)

And I was 'Marsh Mellow'

"Pukey!" She cheered, transferring from my lap to his. "You're not fat anymore?" She wondered, poking his stomach.

He chuckled, "No It's just hidden."

"Where?" She asked lifting his t-shirt to reveal his six-pack. "Oh there." She said poking each one of his abs while both Luke and I laughed.

This girl has so much to learn.

"Where's your brother?" I asked, standing up from the couch.

"Who, Charlie? He's upstairs." She told me, now sitting on Luke's lap and cuddling up to him. "CHARLIE!"

"What?!" The annoyed boy shouted back.

"SOMEONE WANTS TO SEE YOU. I don't get why." She said the second part in a whisper so he couldn't hear her.

I heard a grumble from upstairs. "I'm coming!"

I watched as the boy descended the staircase and my breath caught in my throught bringing tears to my eyes.

"Mel!" He grinned looking at me once he had reached the bottom, "What's wrong."

"Y-you look like him." I stuttered.

His smile dropped off his face, "Oh"

It was true. They had the same facial structure, both had black hair and bright green eyes, the only minor difference was their noses, otherwise I would have sworn it was him.

It didn't help that Charlie was probably the same age as Ash had been when he died. Thirteen.

"It's ok Mel," He said trying to comfort me.

Even their freaking voices sounded similar.

I rushed up to him and gave him a huge hug. "I'm sorry but I need this."

He nodded and I heard him quietly whisper, "I do too."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!

Yay me! I said I'd update today and I did!

It was a very emotional chapter, for me anyway. I've given you a glimpse into her dark past so I hope you enjoyed it.

I know it's been a while since she has talked to note boy but I wanted to get this out of the way first as it is an important aspect of it but I promise they'll talk in the next chapter.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it and keep reading.

Thanks and ignore my bad grammar!

-Bella

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184K 7.2K 60
Hayden Adrian Costello, aka Adrian Costello, the billionaire bad boy who has always gotten everything he wants with ease. With a silver spoon in his...
819K 27.4K 49
Skyla's a shy, straight-A student who ends up falling for a tall, handsome stranger. He's everything she could dream of: nice, caring, and selfless...
2.8K 77 35
People say when you love something, it's hard to stay away no matter what; it could be a deadly disease and you still won't be able to stay away. Fro...
Stay By kait(:

Fanfiction

2.5K 23 28
Ali's just a 16 year old girl with ALOT of problems in her life. She's got parents who don't care about her at all,a 17 year old brother who bullies...