Surviving His Royal Highnass...

By dividiv

**COMPLETED AND UNDERGOING EDITING** Note: The title's not a typo. His fingers traced up my arms as I steadil... More

Disclaimer
Chapter One: Depression
Chapter Two: Wedding Preparations
Chapter Three: Confrontation
Chapter Four: Retreat
Chapter Five: Acquaintances
Chapter Six: The Big Day
Chapter Seven: Honeymoon
Chapter Eight: Second Thoughts
Chapter Nine: Making Amends
Chapter Ten: Call Me Stubborn
Chapter Eleven: Preparations
Chapter Twelve: The New Beginning
Chapter Thirteen: Adele
Chapter Fourteen: The Coronation Ball
Chapter Fifteen: And Cue the Confusion
Chapter Sixteen: Teaching a King about his Kingdom
Chapter Seventeen: Appreciation
Chapter Eighteen: Enlightenment
Chapter Nineteen: Maybe This is Love
Chapter Twenty: Bliss
Chapter Twenty-One: Mensiversary
Chapter Twenty-Two: A Proper Thank-You
Chapter Twenty-Three: Calamity
Chapter Twenty-Four: Relief
Chapter Twenty-Five: The Second Honeymoon
Chapter Twenty-Six: Recovery
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Old Hag
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Hyenas
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Third Time's a Charm
Chapter Thirty: Elena
Chapter Thirty-One: "As long as it's with you"
Chapter Thirty-Two: Clyde
Chapter Thirty-Three: Charmeuse Silk
Chapter Thirty-Four: By the Fireside
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Council
Chapter Thirty-Six: The Internal Audit Team
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Calm
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Resistance
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Postmortem
Chapter Forty: Young Love
Chapter Forty-One: Haste
Chapter Forty-Two: Crimson
Chapter Forty-Three: Decisions
Chapter Forty-Four: A Distraction
The First Night (MATURE)
Chapter Forty-Five: Detainment
Chapter Forty-Six: Matriarchs
Chapter Forty-Seven: Public Projects
Chapter Forty-Eight: Pairs
Chapter Forty-Nine: Reflectance
Chapter Fifty: Dresses
Chapter Fifty-One: Bruises
Chapter Fifty-Two: Setting the Foundation
Chapter Fifty-Three: Mischief
Chapter Fifty-Five: Repercussions
Chapter Fifty-Six: Traitor
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Trial
Chapter Fifty-Eight: The Verdict
Chapter Fifty-Nine: Nightshade
Chapter Sixty: Comfort
Chapter Sixty-One: The Play
Author's Note
Epilogue

Chapter Fifty-Four: Exposed

13.7K 615 62
By dividiv

It is recommended that you re-read "Chapter Thirty-Eight: Resistance" as a refresher prior to starting this chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------

The lively notes of the orchestra gallivanted through the air almost as enthusiastically as the people crowding the town center. The festivities were progressing forward at full speed and nothing was going to stop this beautiful scene of communal celebration. Even grouchy old Lady Arabella had come out of her secluded tent to witness the dancing.

"Ouch!" Ash muttered as I promptly removed my foot from the top of his.

"Sorry! The surroundings are a bit distracting." I gave him a sheepish smile.

He feigned a pout, "Pity that I only seem to gain your sole attention when we're completely alone."

"There's far too much happening right now, I wonder how the guards are keeping track—"

"Shh," he placed his pointer finger over my lips, "You're missing the rhythm, miss dance class topper."

I gave into the music, my feet matching the movements of his in perfect synchrony. His hold around my waist tightened as he pulled me in closer.

"The number of men who are eyeing you for the next dance almost make me want to never let go." He whispered into my ear.

I giggled as his breath tickled my senses, in more ways than one.

"Then don't." I answered simply.

"You might regret this decision."

I shrugged, "I think my decisions have led me down the right path thus far."

His vibrant smile lit up his entire face. Those deep blue eyes sparkled with nothing but pure admiration and I hoped mine reflected the same. The moon shined down brighter than the torches and lanterns that were lit around the perimeter. I looked around and saw familiar faces as Ash gently twirled me around. My family and friends, we were all together and happy. I breathed in the sweet and savory aromas of the food being served all around. Village children ran about with glee, some perhaps tasting the rich delicacies of life for the first time – the most impactful of these flavors on the palate being that of potential.

Everything was just... perfect.

Well, almost. I nudged Ash and I nodded towards Adele sitting in the corner, gazing longingly at Stephen Arden, who was in conversation with a few other gentlemen. He understood and pulled me away from the dance circle. As I approached the group of men, Stephen stepped forward with a warm smile.

"Your Highness," he bowed.

I offered him my hand, "Oh please, no titles between friends. Excellent job with the audit team, Stephen."

"It wouldn't have been possible had you nor Ash not taken the initiative."

I nodded with a smile as we entered the next dance.

"Speaking of taking initiative..." my gaze shifted towards Adele and Ash, who were dancing not too far away.

His eyes followed mine, the sight tingeing his cheeks a bright red.

He cleared his throat, "About that—"

"I don't mean to impose, but it's only polite to at least answer."

He looked away, "I fear I may not be the right match for her."

"How so? You are a Lord after all."

He shook his head, "Not with titles, but in other ways. I don't have it in me to live up to her expectations, but she deserves nothing but the best."

I scoffed, "And what exactly are these expectations?"

He was at a loss for an answer, meaning he didn't quite know himself.

"I think that it's about time you two stop this absurd game and confront each other like adults." I stated, stopping in front of Ash and Adele.

Ash took this as his cue and spun his sister into Stephen's arms.

The look of alarm that registered across their faces was absolutely precious.

"Stephen, we might be good friends, but make the wrong move and I will have to pull a few strings from my position as supreme ruler to play big brother."

I tugged on Ash's sleeve and gave him a look of warning before addressing the couple, "Have a lovely evening, you two. Take as long as you need to sort everything out."

I dragged Ash away from the scene before he intimidated the poor boy any more. I caught him continuing to glare at them.

"Leave them to it." I hissed, reaching for a tray of appetizers as it passed by.

"I know but I just can't control this... this brotherly instinct in me!"

I placed my hand on the small of his back and guided him towards the makeshift thrones set up towards the entrance on a raised stage.

"You won't miss a single thing from here." I grinned.

Just a few minutes later, their chemistry seemed to grow. Their dancing was more fluid and in sync. They seemed to be comfortable in each other's arms.

"I don't know what it is with you men."

"Hm?" He looked at me.

"Your kind always jumps to conclusions, even in the absence of any events that could even bring about such results. So irrational."

"Well, what about women? Always so mysterious, sending us all sorts of wrong messages to lead us off the trail."

My face contorted in confusion, "How so? Your sister sent him a love letter, hoping for a response and none came because he assumed a self-imposed sense of inferiority."

"Perhaps, but it's rare for women to actually express what they mean, is it—"

His sentence was cut off by a shrill shriek. We immediately looked towards the source and found Lady Arabella constrained by a man, whose face was shrouded by the shadow of a cloak. A dagger was held against her throat. I watched as a group of guards immediately circled the suspect, weapons drawn.

Sir William made his way through the crowd and spoke with a defiant tone; "Unhand Lady Arabella at once or my sword will accomplish the feat for you."

Ash immediately shot up from the throne, his hand on the hilt of his own sword, ready to draw it in an instance. Before I could stop him, he descended the stairs and into the crowd. I rushed behind him as the throngs parted and respectfully cleared a path at his descent. We stopped next to Sir William.

A gust of wind pushed the hood of the cloak back, revealing a faintly familiar face. Yet, this time, his face lacked the iconic yard of white beard and his thinning hair was darkened with what appeared to be tar. Had I not had his identity in mind already, I might not have recognized this vile man.

"Marcellus." I breathed his name with utter disgust.

Lady Arabella turned to take in his appearance and immediately turned so pale that her complexion nearly matched the white fabrics of the tents behind us.

An inhumane noise emerged from her throat before she found her voice, "A-Annesley?"

"Charmed that you recognize me, dear Aunt. Surprised that I'm back from the dead?" His sinister smile sent chills down my spine.

I held onto Ash's arm.

Lady Arabella's eyes rolled to the back of her head and she fainted, her body fell limp against his grimy hold, which he released soon after. Her tumble to the ground prompted the Royal Guard to approach him with swords drawn.

He let out a hysterical laugh, "Oh come on Ashton! Your father stole my kingdom after an attempted assassination by this hag, and now you're ready to kill me again? That's hardly fair oh faithful King."

His mocking tone enraged me. His statement sent the crowd into a heated frenzy as confused conversations replaced the deadly silence.

I watched Ash's expression transform from one of anger into horror.

The sins of his forefathers couldn't be washed away by his actions alone, as he had feared.

Much worse was that this particular sin had been lingering right under his nose from the moment he was born, yet a cruel twist of fate left that undiscovered until it came time for his reign.

The past had come back to haunt him in a form he never expected before. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 5.9K 43
It was all supposed to be a normal day for Camilla. But the shocking news of wedding the Prince of Jade Kingdom wasn't something she had in mind. Thr...
2.3M 99K 56
👑1 in Queen Series👑 (Warning: Dark themes & sexual assault) I will have you...all of you, Esmerleda," he said as his eyes raked over my body. I tr...
116 3 7
Continueing where the original story left off, I have set out on the journey to create a second part to this lovely adventure and create a whole new...
17K 459 18
EDITING THE NOVEL, MAY 2023 - Everything will be back up soon! ------------- He stops touching me and quietly watches my stern face before speaking...