The Lion and the Leopard

By MissFirefly227

Leo Lung and Tai Lung were best brothers growing up. They trained together, competing for who could be the be... More

The Prologue
Betrayal
Gone
Sneaking Out
Chor Ghom Prison
Holding Grudges
War in the Making
Meditation
Bao Gu Orphanage
Prodigal's Son
Midnight Training
A Special Birthday
Field of Fiery Death
Training Methods
The Blizzard
The Furious Five
Dreamers
Mission Possible
The Battle of Weeping River
Oogway's Vision
The Dragon Warrior
Behold, Tai Lung
Level Zero
Dorm Rooms
Jailbreak
Painful Lessons
Memories
Ascension
The Pool of Sacred Tears
The Coalition
Dumplings
The Lung Brothers
The Spirit Realm
Forgiveness
Epilogue

Making of a Warrior

3K 66 5
By MissFirefly227

So this will be the final training scene between Po and Shifu and Leo! It will be a little different than the canon movie, but I hope you guys are satisfied with this chapter!

.

.

The day was just beginning. The sun climbed slowly over the mountains, steadily blanketing the land in warm, golden light. The land was beginning to wake up, but there were three animals who have been awake for some time already.

Master Shifu, Master Leo, and Po were still up in the mountains. Po's training was continuing at a good pace, and he was definitely improving. He would become a great opponent when he was fully trained.

Currently, Leo stood in a treetop breathing in the fresh air. His mane blew gently in the wind and his whiskers twitched occasionally. Shifu was standing only a branch lower than him.

And on that same branch as Shifu was Po the panda. His short, stubby legs were hooked on the branch so that he was hanging up-side down. He was doing a sort of sit up, where if he sat up completely, he could reach Shifu, who was perched on the branch with some dumplings.

But, even though Po was trying his hardest, he could barely pull himself up. Leo frowned as the branch creaked and broke. Shifu, quickly realizing the danger, leapt out of the way, quickly abandoning the bowl of dumplings in his paw. Leo, though not directly affected, dug his claws into the bark of the tree, just to be safe. Po grabbed onto the base of the branch to try and hold on, but even still the branch broke. He made a desperate grab for the bowl of dumplings, but he fell a short distance to a grassy platform below. He did not get any food. But Shifu, thinking fast, reached out with his cane and grabbed the bowl carefully, catching all of the dumplings.

Leo gazed carefully down at Po. It would be a long day.

.

That evening, Shifu had filled another bowl with some vegetables and gave Leo a large Bo Staff,

"Do not let Po eat this. Do not target him, but target the bowl. Try to break it. He will be forced to defend the food he wants to eat, and will try to defend himself. I will be watching, and I will see how far he has come." Shifu said, holding the large rod out to Leo. He nodded and took the staff, twirling it slowly, while Shifu called for Po to begin his next lesson. Leo moved behind some rocks so Po would not grow suspicious.

Po eagerly dashed over- as fast as a panda could dash- and he eyed the bowl of food hungrily. Shifu smiled warmly and handed him the bowl, as well as some chopsticks to eat them with. But Po, being the panda that he was, tossed the chopsticks aside. Leo then leapt out from behind the rock. He pushed the rod forward and hit Po in the biceps. Leo continued to hit and swipe at Po with the staff. The panda yelped and moved the bowl of food into the crick of his elbow, trying to protect it from the assaulting lion. Po tried to back up, but Leo twirled the rod under his arm and smashed the bowl. The contents, and porcelain shards, spilled onto the ground below.

"Well done, Po." Shifu said, "While you were not able to completely shelter yourself or the bowl from Leo's onslaught, you are undoubtedly growing in the ways of Kung Fu."

"Thank you so much, Master Shifu! And you, too, Master Leo Lung!" Po bowed fervently to the two of them. While the panda, most of the time, had the stamina of a rock, he was certainly passionate enough to learn. Leo smiled. Shifu ordered Po to clean up the bowl and the food, and when was finished they would begin the next lesson.

As Shifu and Leo began prepping for the next class, Shifu beckoned Leo over. When the lion approached, Shifu talking to Leo, "I would like to test Po's balance. You can not stand unless you balance."

"You are correct, Master. I would like to see what you have planned." Shifu smiled and filled up several bowls. Shifu would not tell Leo any more, but Leo was eager to see what the older animal had in mind.

.

The three animals began to hike up to a mountain top. Po got a little winded around halfway to the top, but he was still enthusiastic to begin. As the three animals reached the peak of the mountain, Shifu spoke to Po, "You have three bowls this time. You a-"

"Aww that is awesome. I could go for something to eat right now!" Po said, relief in his voice as he huffed.

"Not quite yet, Po." Leo reassured the panda. Po looked confused to a moment. Shifu then spoke, "You must learn to balance before you can stand."

So, for the rest of the evening, Po balanced one bowl of hot soup on his head, and two in each of his large paws. He held his arms out to his sides and stood on one leg. Leo stood in a rigid sparring stance, punching the air in front of him. Leo kept his head steady, for Master Shifu was on top of his mane, delivering roundhouse kicks while watching Po's balancing.

That lesson was successful. Although Po had spilled the bowl on his head, he had managed to keep his arms steady. Both Leo and Shifu had praised the panda. That night, before Shifu and Leo went to sleep, Shifu had allowed Po to go to sleep early. The panda was ecstatic. This was one of the first lessons where he did not completely fail. Po had went to sleep early that night, before the sun had even set, while Leo trained several hours or so while Shifu meditated and prepared for tomorrow's lesson. When Leo had gone to sleep somewhere around midnight, only then did Shifu realize the magnitude of the situation he was in.

Tai Lung was returning. He would most likely be filled with rage, and, if nothing had changed while he was incarcerated, would take his anger out on anything that was in his sight. If Tai Lung attacked Leo, or Tigress, or even Po, what would he do? What could he do?

Shifu felt his heart wrench at the thought of losing one of his students to a crazed snow leopard. {A crazed snow leopard that I created..} Shifu thought, staring at the ground in despair. But then the red panda took in a deep breath, held it for a second, and exhaled. He would have to be calm to train Po. The panda would know if he was angry or upset. And so would Leo.

So Shifu tried to distract himself. He tried meditating, but every time he closed his eyes he felt fear enter his mind in the form of Tai Lung. Shifu tried something different. He began to count how many trees he could spot in the moonlight, but he gave up after only counting four. Shifu looked around, trying to find anything to take his mind off of Tai Lung, and he spotted the bowls he used for Po's training. He only had three surviving bowls, after three of them broke during training. He would have to ask Leo to get some more.

Shifu sighed and walked over to the Pool of Sacred Tears, which was not too far from where Leo and Po slept. Shifu knelt in front of the pool, putting his cane next to his body. He did the only thing he thought to do: Pray. He prayed to Oogway, wherever he was, begging him for some peace, or knowledge, or sleep, or answers to questions that dwelled in his mind. Whichever came first. Shifu knew that Oogway would not give him something if he simply asked for it. Oogway would give it to him when the time was right, when he needed it most.

So the red panda stood up and looked towards the moon. It was just a sliver of light, like a cat's claw or rhino horn, in the night. Shifu sighed shakily and began to make his way back to bed. He prayed nightmares would not come for him tonight.

.

.

The next morning, Leo was shaken awake by Shifu. The lion moaned as the red panda shook him out of his slumber, "Leo. I need you to do me a favor." Shifu said. Leo blinked his golden eyes open and raised his head. Shifu glanced at him as Leo stood on his hindlegs and stretched.

"What is it, Master?" Leo asked, shaking his head to get rid of the last remnants of sleep.

"I am running short on bowls. I have enough to last the next lesson, but I need you to return to the Palace and retrieve a few more. Please return before noon." Shifu said, gazing over at the four bowls and the cauldron. The cauldron was half-full of soup that Shifu had cooked earlier this morning. It would be used for today's lesson.

Leo nodded and bowed wordlessly. The Palace was not too far, just two mountains over. If he ran, he would be back in only about thirty minutes. Leo did not want to miss any of Po's training, even though Po was still sleeping, so the lion fell onto all fours and galloped away.

The morning air rushed through his mane. The sunlight began to warm his golden fur. Leo beamed as he ran down the mountain. A small green plain welcomed him at the bottom of the mountain, and Leo slowed to a quick trot as he felt the tall blades of grass brush against his shoulders. Leo wondered what it would be like to simply live in a plain like this. No Kung Fu, no sparring or training, just living. He imagined it would be peaceful. Leo gazed at the first mountain he would have to climb.

Leo bunched his muscles and leapt onto a nearby boulder, then to another. He used the method to scale the mountain, as opposed to meticulously clambering over every last pebble. Leo reached the top of the mountain and grazed around him. Behind him, Po and Master Shifu were mere specks behind him. In front of him, another mountain loomed, but he could see the glint of the Jade Palace in the morning light. He was almost there.

As he ran down the mountain and towards the Valley, Leo wondered what Tigress was doing. Did she know that Shifu and Leo had taken Po to train? Maybe she could assist in Po's training. Although she had not been the kindest animal to Po when he first arrived, Leo could convince her to have a change of heart. Leo began to climb down the mountain.

The large lion began to slow as he entered a small pathway on the side of the mountain. If he made one wrong move, it was likely that Leo would tumble down the mountainside. While Leo was not afraid of heights, he did not want to get bruised and beaten from the long fall that awaited him if he was clumsy. So he continued down the pathway at a trot until he reached the bottom.

The ground began to even out under Leo's paws, and he reached the valley of the second mountain. He had entered the Valley of Peace. All he had to do was cross through the small city and enter the Palace. Leo began to speed up to a gallop. The rush of air felt good on his fur, which was a light golden in the dawn light. Some of the citizens waved at Leo as he hared past.

.

.

Several more minutes had passed before Leo Lung had finally arrived at the Jade Palace. Leo breathed in the familiar scent of the Palace. He had not been here in several days. Leo smiled.

But when Leo pushed open the doors to the Palace, he was met with silence. At first he did not think much of it. The Furious Five did not usually make that much noise. Leo shrugged. He was simply here to grab some training supplies, he did not have time to socialize.

Leo shook his mane and stood onto his legs, stretching his front arms and making his way to the kitchen. What concerned Leo was how quiet the Palace was. The servants were trained to be silent so as not to disturb the masters, but Leo could not find Tigress or any of the Five anywhere. Leo narrowed his eyes and entered the kitchen. Nobody was in here. Not even Monkey, who loved to eat cookies in his spare time. Leo shook his head and moved to the cabinets. Shifu had not specified how many bowls he needed, so Leo just guessed. He grabbed three more bowls and held them in one large paw.

Now finished with his simple task, Leo began to return the training grounds. As he walked back out to the courtyard, Leo got the sense that something was terribly wrong. Even on off days, the Five were usual up and around by now. They never slept in too late. Monkey, sometimes, but Tigress? Never! Leo steered off course and went to the dorm rooms.

He opened the door and peeked inside. The dorms were silent. No snoring animals or idle chatter. Leo's heart began to pound. Leo began to jog towards the Training Hall. Maybe they were building up their stealth in the Hall?

Leo used his free hand and heaved the large doors open. The Hall was still. No animals were inside. Leo felt his mane prickle. Something was not right. {Tell Shifu.} A voice in his head said. Leo sighed shakily and ran outside, having to run on his hind legs to avoid getting the dishes dirty.

Leo began to climb the first mountain and looked behind him to the palace. It was frighteningly empty. Leo shook his head and made his way back to Shifu and Po. Hopefully Shifu would know what to do.

.

.

"They are what?!"

Shifu's normally calm face was now sporting a look of complete disbelief and confusion. When Leo had returned around midday to find Shifu doing more food-based exercises and lessons with Po, Leo had decided not to tell Shifu that moment that the Five were missing. It would be best not to worry Po, especially with all of the weight of training on his wide shoulders.

But, that evening, once Po was fast asleep, Leo did not hesitate to tell Shifu what he found at the Palace- or more specifically, what he did not find in the Palace. Shifu was dumbstruck,

"Was Tigress there when we left? Or any of the Five, for that matter?" Leo whispered, for he did not want to wake up Po.

"I can not remember. However, I do know that they were at the Palace the night before we left. But I did not see her, or any of them for that matter, that morning." Shifu narrowed his eyes and stared up at the night sky, hoping the answers would come to him.

"Would they have any reason to leave?" Leo pondered. His tail swished along the ground, causing several grass blades to rustle.

Shifu felt terror creep into his veins. They did have a reason to leave. That reason was the very thing- the very snow leopard- Shifu was training Po for. Shifu spoke so quietly Leo did not hear him, "Tai Lung."

"What was that, Master?" Leo pricked his ears up, straining to hear the red panda's words. But, instead of answering Leo Lung's question, the older master remained quiet. Shifu's eyes were wide and he silently walked over to the Pool of Sacred Tears,

"I am going to pray. Join me if you want, or sleep."
.

.

The next day was Po's final day of training. Shifu had accelerated it, with breathing exercises, situps, hikes, balance tests, push-ups, and more. Po had not eaten in a long time. but Po seemed to have no problem with it. He was doing excellent anyways. Every time he made progress, Leo praised him, and Po lived for it. He strove to impress his master, and he worked as hard as physically possible. And it paid off! Po was more than twice as agile as he was three weeks ago, and his large belly was had started to shrink.

Master Shifu had cooked some dumplings and put them in a singular bowl. He had a plan to test Po. Leo was in on it as well, and he thought it would be pretty genius. So Leo called for Po, who was drinking some water from a stream. The large panda hurried over, and eagerly sat down in front of Leo and Shifu, who were sitting side by side.

Leo smiled at Po and gently pushed the bowl towards him. Shifu spoke,

"After you, panda." Shifu smiled.

Po stopped short, quickly suspicious, "Just like that? No sit-ups? No-No-No ten mile hike?" He asked, looked at both of the masters in front of him.

"Leo and I have vowed to train you. You have been trained! You are free to eat." Shifu said, pointing his own chopsticks at the bowl of dumplings.

Po sat down heavily, and quickly grabbed a pair of chopsticks. He gazed suspiciously at the red panda, then at the asian lion. Po quickly grabbed a dumpling and stared wide-eyed at Shifu.

"Enjoy, Po." Leo rumbled, flicking his tail. Po smiled and began to raise the dumpling to his mouth. Leo flicked Shifu with his tail tuft, and the red panda leapt into action.

Whoosh!

"Hey!?" Po exclaimed, startled and confused. His chopsticks were empty.

Shifu licked his lips and swallowed. He looked at Po, like nothing was wrong, "I said you are free to eat. Have a dumpling!" He insisted. Shifu discreetly nudged Leo with his tail. He smirked.

Po took another dumpling. He was about to raise the dumpling to his lips when Leo leapt across the table, using his paw to uppercut the dumpling into the air. Leo then used his own chopsticks to grab the food item and shove it into his mouth. He wasted no time chewing and simply swallowed it, sighed and looking at Po with a blank look. The panda glared at him in return, a scowl forming. Leo spoke,

"Po, you are free to eat." He said slowly.

"Am I?!" Po demanded, upset.

"Are you?" Shifu challenged.

Master Leo, Master Shifu, and Po all readied their chopsticks for what was to come. Leo felt adrenaline fill his veins. Even though this like would not be a physical battle, like the ones Leo was used to, he was still excited and eager for the battle that was to start.

Po slammed his fist into the bowl, sending the dumplings sky high. Shifu acted quicker and leapt into the air, using his chopsticks to stuff many of the dumplings into his mouth. He was even considerate enough to toss on to Leo, who quickly swallowed it.

And then there was only one dumpling. As the last one fell, Po eagerly jumped up, opening his mouth widely for the dumpling to fall in. But Leo was faster. He reached out with his pair of chopsticks and grabbed the dumpling straight out of the giant panda's mouth. Po looked shocked, and he tumbled to the ground clumsily.

Leo stood on his hind legs. He stared at Po as he quickly righted himself. He used his to chopsticks try and take the dumpling, but Leo and Shifu pushed his hand into the bowl.

Now, all three animals fought over the single dumpling. The bowl tilted as each of the three animals tried to grab at the dumpling. Then, Shifu, always a schemer, flipped the bowl over, as well as the other three.

Then the battle turned into a game of Shells. Shifu and Leo began mixing and switching all the bowls, while Po looked on. A determined look crossed Po's face and he suddenly shot out his paw, grabbing one of the bowls and stopping the movement of the bowls. Po flipped the bowl over and saw the dumpling inside. He cheered and tried to grab it with his chopsticks, but Leo and Shifu put up a fight.

Po, deciding to try something different, tossed the bowl aside and tried to grab the dumpling in his paw. But Shifu used one of his chopsticks and threw the stick towards the dumpling. Then, like a spear, the chopstick sliced into the dumpling and flew through the air. The chopstick then stuck into the underside of a branch of a nearby tree. All three animals looked up.

Leo threw his chopsticks aside, fell onto a fours and charged towards the tree. His claws unsheathed and he leapt onto the bark. Leo dug his claws into the tree as he clambered up to the branch where the dumpling was. Shifu and Po watched as the lion made his way onto the branch. Leo, claws holding onto the bark, slowly crawled over to the chopstick. A low groaning made Leo's mane prickle. The branch was beginning to break!

Shifu and Po began sparring on the ground below while Leo cautiously crawled over to the dumpling. The dumpling was beginning to slip off of the chopstick! Leo slowly reached his large arm around and began to try to grab the dumpling. But Leo had been too slow. When he tried to grab it, the dumpling fell off of the chopstick and fell towards Shifu and Po, who were sparring.

Po saw that the dumpling was falling, and tossed Shifu to the side. He opened his mouth and leapt under the dumpling, eager to eat. But Shifu used his chopsticks to grab the panda's chin, effectively closing his mouth. Po tried to swipe Shifu to the side, but the red panda was persistent.

Leo Lung, eager to rejoin the battle, leapt off of the branch and fell to the ground below. He landed on all fours and saw Po sparring with Shifu. Leo grabbed the dumpling out of midair and swiped it away. The dumpling flew in the air, and Po, turning and seeing it, gave chase.

Shifu grinned and glanced at Leo. Leo returned the gaze and beamed. The two animals began to chase Po, Shifu even grabbing his Bo Staff. Leo leapt onto a large rock and leapt over Po, nudging the dumpling ahead of him. Po grabbed Leo's arm and yanked him downward. Leo shot his arm forward in a palm strike, but Po used his large arm to block it. Leo leapt backwards as Shifu began to use his bamboo staff to attack Po. The two animals began to spar in quick, sharp movements. Even though Shifu was much more agile than Po, Po held his own.

Po then threw Shifu aside and leapt into the air, using his still large belly to bump the dumpling out of the way of Leo and Shifu. Shifu's eyes widened and Leo's mouth gaped. Po landed on his two feet, no wobbling a little bit, and grabbed the dumpling out of midair. Both of the masters beamed. Leo felt pride swell in him and Shifu was filled with wonder.

Po looked back at his two masters, and then back at his dumpling. Shifu bowed his head and held out his paw- an invitation to go ahead and eat. But, to both Leo and Shifu's surprise, Po tossed the dumpling into Shifu's open paw.

When Po was met with both Leo and Shifu's questioning glances, he answered simply,

"I am not hungry." Shifu smiled at that. Po continued, "Masters." He put his paws together and bowed. Leo stood on all fours, put his front paws together, and bowed. Shifu did the same. Master and pupil bowed to each other.

Po was now a warrior.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 5K 26
πŠπ”ππ† 𝐅𝐔 𝐏𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐀. Enamoured with a feline who had a cold heart and tendency to bully their master shifu, the furious five had a problem... Th...
11K 277 28
It all started in the Valley of Void, close to the border of Mongolia, but still on Chinese grounds. And at the Onyx Palace, a blind snow leopard had...
75.4K 1.8K 36
This book goes from the 1st movie to the 3rd. This IS a Kung Fu Panda Fan-Fic. Plz enjoy! May the Lord bless and guide your way! X3 Aussie, OUT! *si...
47.9K 1K 15
Hana is Po's older sister. They're not related of course. Po is a panda and Hana is a crane. Hana wasn't always blind but when Mr.Ping found her she...