274 (Complex Series, #4)

By AnneBrees

-fourth book in the Complex series- Claire, known to most people only by her Complex number as 274, has alway... More

Before You Read...
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Author's Note

Chapter Nineteen

430 29 19
By AnneBrees

Michelle rolls her eyes, “All of us know that there’s no way of escaping. Miranda’s just too optimistic.”

Harry argues, “Then how do you explain their disappearance?”

 “I don’t have any proof that they ever existed.”

Harry opens his mouth like he wants to say something more, but closes. Michelle lips turn up in a tiny smile of triumph. Harry just bites the inside of his cheek.

Michelle changes the topic, “So, what’s your name?”

“Claire.” I say between sips of water.

Harry nods, “Great, and your Complex number?”

“274.”

 “Here, we don’t use our Complex numbers. We go on simply your name.”

I ask, “But don’t you get confused between the people with the same names?”

Michelle shrugs, “Kind-of, but you’ll get used to it.”

How are you supposed to remember everyone’s name? Until I was sent here, the only girls’ names I knew were the names of my three roommates.

Harry adds, “Also, as you can probably tell, boys and girls mix together here.”

I search his face, trying to tell if he’s kidding. It’s dangerous for males and females to mix together. They mixed in the Unknown and there were several problems. But Tooth…

Michelle seems to know what I’m thinking, “About what the Heads said, it’s not true. Men and women have just as many arguments together than separate. There’s no point in staying split apart.”

Tooth seemed to be okay. He didn’t try to hurt me and he didn’t seem too quarrelsome. In fact, he saved my life. When I failed to save his. Guilt sinks into me, whisking my thoughts away from the present.

 Does he blame me for his death?

Michelle seems to be saying something to me. I blink a couple times before asking, “What?”

Michelle repeats, “Do you feel any pain?”

“No, I actually feel…” I trail off, trying to think of a way to explain it.

“Weightless?” Harry suggests.

 “Yeah, I don’t know why. I had some bad pain earlier, but it’s disappeared.”

Harry nods, “Actually, it hasn’t permanently disappeared. We’ve given you a type of medicine that numbs the pain and will help you heal. That’s what the tubes are for.”

I glance at the wires and cords entering into my wrist. They’re helping me? Is this some type of technology from the Heads? If it is, does that mean that these people work for the Heads? I need to be careful of what I say around them. They seem sincere and sympathetic, but they might try to catch me for being disloyal. They might be undercover Officials.

Harry apologizes, “I’m sorry for having to pump sedative into you and for tying your hands down. I couldn’t let you take out those tubes. They’re helping you to heal and you need them to survive.”

Michelle seems to catch the disbelief in my expression. She says, “You’re suffering from lack of nutrients, dehydration, slight blood loss, and other small problems. Not to mention the traces of Ecru blood in your body.”

“Ecru?” I ask. The word is foreign on my tongue.

Harry answers, “Those creatures that you were with? I believe what you call them are the Things?”

I nod slowly, involuntary shivers running over my skin.

Harry continues, “Their real name is Ecru. And you, since you were sent to the Ecru, are called an Eeke.”

“Eeke?” I test the word. I’m an Eeke. Am I unique because I am an Eeke or is it normal here?

Michelle says, “That’s enough about the Ecru though. Miranda will be coming soon to talk to you.”

“Who’s that?” I ask. Michelle says the name with respect.

Harry explains, “She’s the Leader of the Unknown. Although, she won’t be for long. She turns a twenty year in just a week. Then we’ll elect a new Leader.”

They get to choose who their Leader is?

Why would the Leader becoming to see me?

Michelle says, “The Leader comes to visit and welcome everyone into the Unknown. She’s nice, so don’t worry about it.”

What if I say something wrong? She must work for the Heads. Can I get in more trouble for the things I’ve done against the Heads?

Harry glances at something on his wrist. He presses a button and a hologram floats in the air. Text scrawls across the screen but I can’t read what it says.

Harry stands, “Okay, she’s on her way. She’ll be here in a minute or so. I’ll leave Michelle to take care of you. I need to go check on some other Eekes.”

“Wait,” I call out, an idea popping into my head.

“Yes?” Harry asks.

“Everyone who was in with the, um, Ecru, are they sent here?”

Harry nods, “Yes, everyone you met will turn up here eventually. Some might be with the Ecru for longer than others.”

Unless they die like Tooth. Unless someone fails to save them.

All the names of all the people I met pop into my head. I ask, “Has anyone named Marie shown up?”

Harry presses another button on the strap wrapped around his wrist. A different hologram pops up. He studies it before shaking his head, “No. No Marie. I can let you know when she comes in though.”

I nod quickly. There is so much I need to talk to her about. Why did she rebel in the first place? Why did she choose me to contact? Did Bridget trace me through those messages?

Harry begins to walk towards the door, “I need to go now. I’ll see you later, Claire.”

I don’t know what to think about him or Michelle.

Michelle says, “Don’t spend too much time thinking over what Harry said about those kids escaping. Very few people believe it. There really is no way of escaping. Harry and a couple other Nurses believe it. I don’t know why. Futile hope, if you ask me.”

Who should I believe? Harry seemed sincere and confident as he told me the story of the escape, but Michele is the same as she tells me this.

I decide to wait until I know more about this place before drawing any conclusions.

The door slides open, and another girl enters. Sleek, black hair clings to her chin. Her eyes find me and I find myself openly staring. Her eyes are two different colors. One is a bright, starling blue, while the other is dark brown, almost black.

Michelle smiles at the girl and then at me. She introduces, “Claire, this is Miranda, the Leader of the Unknown. Miranda, this is Claire, 274.”

Miranda smiles tightly at Michelle, “I need to talk privately with Claire. By privately, I mean no cameras, microphones, nothing. I can tell the Tech Council though to take care of it for me. Would I be able to do that?”

Michelle looks slightly confused but nods, “Yeah, I guess. You’ve been doing this a lot lately.”

Miranda answers shortly, “I know.”

Michelle leaves, the door closing behind her.

Miranda stares at me, her eyebrows creased. I don’t know how to respond. I try to look everywhere but her disorienting different eyes.

I shouldn’t say anything. I don’t want to anger her. I’m not sure if the rules of the Complex still apply here. I definitely shouldn’t talk to her unless she talks to me first.

Miranda seems to be broken from her trance. She says, “So, what happened to you when you were with the Ecru?”

“What do you mean?” I ask.

Miranda motions to me, “Well, you’re pretty beat up. You’re covered in bruises and scratches. I’ve seen some pretty bad Eekes and you’re near the top.”

I shrug, sarcasm dripping from my voice, “I almost got murdered a couple times, but I think that’s normal there.”

A smile twitches across Miranda’s lips. Does she find it amusing that I was almost murdered?

Miranda’s face becomes serious again, “What really happened?”

I press my lips together. I don’t want to tell her. The fear, the desperation, the pain, she’ll enjoy knowing that I suffered. I can’t tell her of Tooth’s death, my failure to save him.

Keeping my mouth closed, I say nothing.

Miranda sighs, “You can tell me.”

I stare at a space on the wall. I’d rather have her think I’m rude than tell her about my time with the Ecru.

Miranda narrows her eyes, “Fine. Don’t tell me. But, you will have to eventually. First thing tomorrow morning, I’m going to find an excuse to call you to a meeting.”

“Why do you care so much?” I blurt.

Miranda says, “I don’t care, it’s someone else.”

“Who?”

 “You don’t know her.”

 “But if I don’t know her, why does she care?”

 “Because she’s trying to save your life.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.4K 1.4K 45
-third book in the Complex series- Dana has been captured by Officials. She doesn't know who to trust and who to avoid. Anything she says or does cou...
110K 2.4K 23
Almost all her life the only thing Loxy Monroe ever felt was the needles being injected into her skin. Her power was the first of any human known in...
The Tower By Pepper616

Mystery / Thriller

753 36 20
Claire's life is simply fun and ordinary until it is announced that the world will end. The government finds a way to invent a tower that will hold a...
26.2K 1.6K 42
-second book in Complex series- Piper purposely gets herself sent to the Unknown in search for a rebel group. She knows what the Officials teach ab...