Do You Know Indigo?

By BekahEva

Christine Evans doesn't remember why she played her hand in the suicide game, or why the boy with eyes of red... More

Author's Note.
Preface
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Epilogue
I Am Indigo

Chapter Twenty

3.4K 227 18
By BekahEva

When I awoke that morning new, fierce bruises flourished around my arms and stomach and I knew I had to cover up Kieran's marks - not just for my sake but for his. His eyes would say a thousand sorrowful and apologetic words and I didn't want that. Yes, I was still upset with him but I wasn't heartless.

I sat at the breakfast table, ready to leave for my bus. No one was aware of my screams in the night. It was just as well.

The clock ticked. I scowled at it and urged time to move faster so I could escape. Jackson settled his eyes on me and then the clock knowingly. The long hand jolted into place and I was up and off, sparing few goodbyes as I went.

"Morning Beth, sleep well?" I greeted as I descended the stairs. Her expression darkened and she proceeded, ignoring my question.

"I sincerely hope that you've though long and hard about how you treated Kieran yesterday. Seeing Kieran alive gave you a shock after all the worrying - I get that - but the guy had almost been blown to pieces for pity's sake and you make him feel worse by shouting at him?" In an attempt to silence my friend I stared at the ground and shuffled my feet. "I just hope you've come to your senses and decided to apologise. Heaven knows Kieran is more than willing to forgive you for your childish behaviour than I am," she muttered, eyeing me crossly.

I hugged my fragile and battered self as we battled through the wind towards the vacant bus stop. Beth had given up when I had offered no apology.

She didn't speak to me on the bus and even when Jude and Mandy got on there was hardly any conversation, just foul sideways glances. Jude did manage to sly me a cheeky wink before we disembarked though. She was a defiant one.

Relief flooded me as I stepped down from the bus and spied someone who didn't have a vendetta against me. Tom was occupied with the task of dismounting from the back of a motorbike and was oblivious to my attentions. He removed his helmet and shook his hair from his face.

Having clipped his helmet onto the empty back seat, the bike sped off through the street in a red blur. Tom finally looked around, as if sensing my gaze. I waved nervously. He grinned and came to meet me, clad in his tattered leather jacket. I had to tip my head upwards to look into his face. Lightly, he stroked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. We were so close that the beginnings of a rain shower dripped from his sleek hair and onto my forehead, gathering at the tips of my eyelashes. I blinked the beads of water from my eyes, still watching him carefully. His touch sent warm currents down my spine.

"Good morning," he said.

"Good morning," I replied.

Halfway across the playground I spotted Kieran with Beth and the rest of my cohort and I greeted him with a half forgiving smile. He, however, glared spitefully at Tom. A small curl formed on Beth's lips and she spectated.

Sophia seemed openly pleased, it was the first time I'd ever seen her with even the shadow of a smile on her face. It looked all wrong on that sinster soul.

Shrugging off my suspicions, I peeked to see if Tom had acknowledged Kieran's cold, piercing glare. Apparently he had. But instead of returning Kieran's harsh looks he nodded civiliy in his direction. Kieran glowered harder.

"So he's still alive then," Tom observed. I bit my lip and gazed at the Indigo Boy. He had turned his shoulder on us but I caught a glimpse of those eyes I knew so well.

"In a manner of speaking," I whispered. We said nothing more on the subject.

Walking me to the door, Tom kissed the top of my head and held my attention until the registration bell commanded we seperate. Tom said goodbye and then disappeared, leaving me to fend off three intrigued pursuers.

Later, after a wasted hour of art, I headed to PE. During my previous class Kieran seemed to have a fixed, confused look on his face. Surely the process of Dahli was no mystery to him. Still, his far away expression made me anxious.

Whilst changing for gym I was clumsy and forgot about my savage bruises. The two girls who stood opposite took long hard looks before realising they were being rude. They didn't say anything though, and Beth was too busy chattering about Andy Smith in shorts to realise.

Quickly, I glanced at the thunderous bruises engulfing my arms before hiding them beneath my jumper. I promptly made my way out of the cramped changing room before anyone else suspected anything.

It was softball season, my favourite season aside from tag rugby - possibly because I lacked any grace whatsoever. I begged my gym teacher Mr Frasier to let me play, not caring that my arm was broken. He agreed, proclaiming that on my head be it. Chucking me a mitt, he ordered me to stand in back stop position before he changed his mind.

I stretched off confidently, only wincing when pulling the skin were my bruises lay. Mr Frasier split us into two teams. While Beth and I remained together, Kieran was on the opposing team with the likes of Sarah Davis and David Wicks. This would be fun.

We took our places; my team batting. This was more than a game of softball, this was war.

Mr Frasier threw the ball. Sandy Mitchell bent his legs down and swung the bat with a frightening swish. Like a bullet from a gun the ball flew through the air. Sandy dropped the bat and began to race around the bases. Sandy and I had frequently bonded over softball before his friends started giving us stick for it.

I watched as Sandy turned to check where the ball was and was pleased to see it was miles away. With ease he soared past home, pumping his fist. He looked my way for praise and I grinned.

"That is how you play softball." Mr Frasier smirked as Sandy stuck his tongue out at me on the way to the back of the line.

Boys.

My body ached after only fifteen minutes of play. I folded my arms across my chest, being careful of my broken one. Beth had seen me flinch, aware something was amiss.

"What's the matter? Are your arms OK?" she asked.

"Course, why wouldn't they be?" I assured her, trying to make my current stance appear natural. She showed no sign of suspicion but then not only she was a drama queen.

"I don't think you should be playing even if it's only back stop," she lectured before going to bat. I shrugged her off, she knew I was too competitive to watch from the sidelines.

Our team were four runs up and fielding once more. I stood waiting for the ball to enter the thatched pocket of my glove. David Wicks was batting, not a great risk to the current standings. Half-heartedly he smacked the ball and charged to first base. I caught the in coming ball and placed my foot on the home base resulting in Jenna Holmes, an athletic wonder, being the second person in her team to be put out.

The next batter took their place. A sharp, cool twinge forked its way down my spine. Kieran would be standing behind me glaring with his indigo eyes. I whipped my head around to confront him.

"Can I help you?" I questioned nonchalantly, the chill of his glare unnerving me. He raised an eyebrow. I waited for his reply, not enjoying his clear inspection of me. "Well?" I growled, forgetting to keep an eye on the ball racing towards the batter.

"Now you mention it," he began after I heard the crack of the bat and ball. I groaned.

"One second." I spun and after a moment caught the ball that was on its way back to where the batter had once stood. Quickly, I shifted onto the base but David Wicks had wisely remained in third.

"You were saying?" I muttered as Kieran took his place and picked up the bat.

"Well is Tom really good enough for you?" he proposed, having a practice swing. I snorted at his bravado.

"Why? Are you jealous?" I argued teasingly, watching his every movement. He shook with a low, indulgent chuckle.

"You must be joking! I would only be jealous of him if he was Red and he isn't nearly good looking enough to be. I can tell you. We Indigo, Red guys are unnaturally hot, Tom doesn't even par mediocre." Kieran wiggled his bum at me suggestively. "And anyway, I'm only saying it because it's in your best interests."

"Those interests being in you I'm guessing," I scoffed as Mr Frasier hurled the ball towards Kieran. In unison with the clap of the collision he said,

"Naturally."

Kieran winked and then sped dangerously towards first base. The ball was scarily far away but Sandy, who'd been prepared outfield, was already preparing to chuck it to me. Kieran was between second and third base. The ball was in flight. Kieran's pace was picking up; it was going to be close unless the ball was going to fall short. Kieran was only meters away. This was about more than just softball. I glanced at the ball, then at Kieran. I had to do something. Reluctantly, I dived with my mitt held out. I felt my body protest as I crashed onto the base, my mitt still outstretched.

Kieran hadn't seen me dive and in a moment of confusion I was in a mess of limbs and gym clothes. An explosion of chill erupted inside of me. I curled up, screaming in a sudden uncontainable agony. As soon as Kieran realised what was going on, he couldn't have been off me faster. My arms throbbed and I felt every bone in my body was about to shatter into splinters. Mr Fraiser was there in an instant, bent over my twisted body.

"Chris, are you alright?" I held up the ball to him. He grinned but dismissed it. My jumper was caked in mud, not fit for me to be seen in. That in mind I sat up shakily and removed it, forgetting the unfriendly bruises scarring my arms. Those surrounding me gasped. I searched for Kieran. He had recoiled, a sickly expression on his face. I roughly pulled my jumper back on and restrained my eyes to the ground.

Two strong sets of hands hooked me under my arms and Andy and Sandy pulled me delicately to my feet.

"Take Evans to get changed out of those muddy clothes Philips. I think she's played enough softball for today." Mr Fraiser studied me sheepishly. Sport was Mr Frasier's thing, not playing nurse maid.

Beth silently guided me back towards the school. An anxious expression clouded her face. She wasn't going to be happy that I'd lied to her about my arms but it was only my broken arm that hurt during the walk to the changing room, not the canvas of bruises.

"Are you OK now or does it still hurt?" Beth asked, cautiously glancing at me. She couldn't hide the bitterness in her voice.

"No I'm alright now, it doesn't hurt much," I replied, not knowing if she'd believe me after lying to her before. I bit my lip and waited, knowing her too well to think she'd remain silent.

"How did you get them? The bruises I mean. They're too dark to have been from Kieran falling on you." I didn't know what to tell her. What was a possible explanation for the bruises I had, so dark and embracing? The truth was insane.

"I slipped down the flat stairs last night," I lied. "I didn't want to worry you, that's all." The guilt that settled in my stomach was poisonous and well deserved.

"Of course I would have worried Chris, I'm your best friend. Is your broken arm OK?" she asked, peering at it.

"Yeah, no harm done." I said, attempting to laugh to lighten the mood. I was being so unfair to Beth. I'd been so mixed up in my problems with Tom and Kieran not to mention Mum, Ross and my suicidal consequences that it had become so easy to depend on. I had to learn to give back, I needed to make amends.

"You know we haven't hung out, just the two of us in a while and it's my birthday next week so there's only really one person I can think to take shopping with me to spend that birthday money," I said, not expecting her to agree to my offer. We entered the building where it was quiet, the sounds of the softball field behind us. Beth smiled quietly to herself before turning back to acknowledge me.

"I'd love to. I've got Dad's allowance and I'm not busy this Saturday so I'm sure it'll be OK." Her natural bubbliness had returned. "Oh and speaking of hanging out. What time were we to be at the bus stop on Thursday, that's if we're still going to that gig." I'd completely forgotten about Nate's invitation, once again from being so damn self absorbed.

"I couldn't tell you," I admitted, knowing I should have researched the times days ago.

"It's OK, I'm sure Jude's dad won't mind running off a few miles in his new 4X4." She shrugged, not wanting anything to ruin her chances of running into the handsome musician.

I got changed and sprayed myself with deodorant, trying to erase the smell of embarrassment. Fortunately, Beth and I were changed and out before the bell rang to summon us to our next lesson and questions could be asked.

On our way to class we were set upon by Kieran. His eyes were shallow and indecipherable.

"I just came to apologise, I'm sorry Chris. I never would have thought..." I knew he wasn't just talking about the softball game. I reached out to touch his arm. He flinched and fled, leaving my arm hanging in mid air. As I watched him leave I wanted more than anything to know what was running through his unsettled mind.

Unfortunately for me, I knew that was more than possible.

~*~*~*~

Fun Fact time folks. Mr Fraiser is actually based on a person - my regstration and PE teacher through high school. If he ever reads this then I hope I have done his a smidgen of justice. He was a fun guy but took sport very, very seriously. To bad I was never all that good and sports!

Comments, conversing and votes would be much oblidged from me and Mr Fraser both.

Bekah x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

462 19 23
The summer before Evan goes off to college all her friends took a road trip, one she was SUPPOSED to be on the entire summer, but in a split second d...
84.5K 4.8K 51
About a year ago, Ada's life was ruined. She never wanted to live her American Dream, yet that's what she's forced to do due to her parents' decisio...
308K 11.7K 20
[Book #1 of the Mate series] {boyxboy} "In which a muted boy finds love he was not looking for in a red eyed beauty" {disclaimer : this is my very fi...
11.1K 498 17
"You know Connor, you look great in black, but i like you better in red." {} Evan is has social anxiety and is dealing with suicidal thoughts. Connor...