Fade - A Marvel Fanfiction

By LeeandSara11

Erin Schulz. Hydra's Pawn, their greatest fighter yet. One of the enhanced, her power unmatched even by the M... More

Part 1 - Age of Ultron - Prelude
Chapter 1: The Maximoffs
Chapter 2: The Attack
Chapter 4- Captured
Chapter 5 - Memory
Chapter 6 - A Choice
Chapter 7: Is This What Safe Feels Like?
Chapter 8 - A Realization
Chapter 9 - The Fight
Chapter 10 - The Vision
Chapter 11 - The End of an Age
Chapter 12 - Grief
Chapter 13 - Time To Let Go
BONUS Chapter 1
BONUS Chapter 2
BONUS Chapter 3
BONUS Chapter 4
Part 2 - Civil War - Prelude
Chapter 14 - Wishing I Could Forget
Chapter 15: The Accords
Chapter 16: Too Much Loss For Today
Chapter 17: Finding an Old Friend
Chapter 18: A War Is Brewing
Chapter 19: A New Recruit
Chapter 20: Civil War Part 1
Chapter 20: Civil War Part 2
Chapter 21: Aftermath
Chapter 22: He's Okay
Chapter 23: Visitation
Chapter 24: One Last Time
Chapter 25: Starting to Find Peace
Chapter 26: We'll Be There
Part 3 - Spiderman Homecoming/Black Panther - Prelude
Chapter 27 - A Celebration
Chapter 28 - A Little Longer
Chapter 29 - Is This My Life Now?
Chapter 30 - Cover Blown
Chapter 31 - A New Threat
Chapter 32 - No Matter What
Chapter 33 - Myself
Chapter 34 - I Guess We're A Team Now, Huh?
Chapter 35 - Milestones
Part 4 - Infinity War & Endgame
Chapter 36 - He's Here
Chapter 37 - An Untimely Reunion
Chapter 38 - Time to Stand
Chapter 39 - We Lost
Chapter 40 - Glimpses
Chapter 41 - The Revival
Chapter 42 - One...Last...Chance
The End
!A/N!

Chapter 3 - A Disastrous Combination

8.9K 192 55
By LeeandSara11

Disclaimer - A majority of the dialogue between Ultron and the twins is taken directly from the movie (Age of Ultron). I will alter it in some ways but all of the work goes to Marvel. 

It's been only a few days since the attack on the HYDRA base and I feel like it's passed in a blur.  I'm finally free from HYDRA. After many years of wishing, it was granted and yet... I've never felt more lost. I knew that being the villain in every story wasn't who I was meant to be. But could I ever be a hero? Could I dedicate my life to helping others when the people who surrounded me never gave a damn? I don't know what to do or where to go. I have no origins, I have no home. They were stripped away from me the second I stepped foot in HYDRA's doors. My only option is to stay with the twins and stop them from killing themselves.

The twins and I couldn't bring ourselves to leave the old base. We have no money to stay in a nearby inn, and it's probably too dangerous to be seen in public. The Avengers aren't loved by everybody and if there is even a chance any of us were seen... it would be a disaster. I guess we're just trying to stay safe but it won't work for long. 

A couple of days after the attack a weird message came across the monitors in the computer room. It kept telling us to meet at a church in the center of the city. I ignored it, thinking that the Avengers were just playing mind games. A few hours after that, a strange voice echoed through the walls of the building, like Strucker's once did:

"If you want revenge, come to the small church at the center of the city. I expect to see you there at midnight tomorrow."  

The voice was mechanical and threatening. Wanda and Pietro's interest was peaked at the sound of revenge but it sounded like a trap too me. After many fights over it, the twins convinced me to come with them to meet this person. I was still skeptical but I knew that I had to take risks now. I wouldn't survive any longer if I didn't.

As of right now, the twins and I are walking through a marketplace towards the abandoned church. Once we get close to the ancient building, we see a wire fence blocking the perimeter of the structure, preventing us from entering. Wanda looks around before entering and Pietro follows. This meeting is getting sketchier by the minute so I resist for a moment. Pietro sees my worry and holds out his hand out for me to take. I look at his hand for a moment before slowly slipping my hand into his, and break through the fence. As soon as I am safe on the other side, I drop his hand and walk inside. 

To my surprise, there is a large body sitting on a throne-like chair, in the exact center of the room, a blanket covering them to hide their identity. I choose to stand by the entrance, behind the twins. Wanda does the opposite and walks closer to the figure. 

"Talk," she says. "and if you're wasting our time..." 

"Did you know this church is in the center of the city? The elders decreed it so that everyone could be equally as close to God. I like that. The geometry of belief." the figure remarks, a mechanical tone to his voice. My interest peaks at his knowledge, only a few people knowing the real reason that the church is there. I try to pull away the person's covering but I fail.

"Your wondering why you can't look inside my head. And you are scared of my knowledge. You want to see my identity." The figure states. I look over to Wanda and see her eyes the usual shade of scarlet red. She looks to me and sees the transparent shield dancing around my hand. We glare at each other for using our abilities but I break the anger. 

"Every man has an identity..." I start, looking back towards the figure. 

"And sometimes it's hard to see who he really is. But sooner or later, every man shows himself." Wanda finishes. 

"Oh, I'm sure they do." The person says as it stands up, the covering slipping off. It reveals a man completely made of metal as he towers over us. His eyes a laser red unlike Wanda's scarlet and two bands come around his face to protects his collapsed cheeks. I gasp a little at the sight of him, power and confidence radiating off of him. He walks towards Wanda and me while he speaks.

"But you needed something more than a man. That's why you let Stark take the sceptre." The metal man reveals. I turn to Wanda and look at her incredulously. 

"Wanda, is that true?" I whisper. Wanda looks at me and shakes her head before turning back to the giant that stands before us.

"I didn't expect..." Wanda whispers while nodding towards the being. "But I saw Stark's fear and I knew it would control him. Make him self destruct."

"Everyone creates the thing we dread." The figure begins.

"We create our own demons," I whisper, interrupting his monologue. He refocuses attention towards me, tilting his head slightly in thought. 

"What did you say?" The machine says in monotone. I take a moment before replying:

"We create our own demons. It's one of the only things I remember from my past." 

"You sound like a mini Stark," he observes.

"But am not a mini Stark. I'm the farthest thing from it." I hiss. The figure glares at me, obviously suspicious about my past. Nevertheless, he continues his speech.

"What is your name?" he asks, walking closer to me.

"Reveal yourself first." I insist.

"I am Ultron," he says confidently. Then he points to me. "Your turn."

"Erin," I say quickly.

"As Erin said, we create our own demons. The one thing that we dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people?" Ultron stops in confusion. 

"Children!" Ultron exclaims, finally remembering the word. "I lost the word there. Children are designed to supplant them, to help them end."

"Is that why you've come? To end the Avengers?" Wanda asks, a glint of hope in her voice.

"I've come to save the world. But also... yeah." Ultron confirms. He then motions for us to follow him.

_______________

Ultron leads us back to the HYDRA base, where his minions are already at work. How did we not notice that they were here? Ultron turns to us and begins to explain his plan for the three of us:

"We'll move out right away. This is a start but there is something we need. That is when the real work will begin."

"And all of these are..." I think out loud.

"Me. I have what the Avengers never will... harmony. They're all disconnected from each other. And now Stark has them turning against each other." Ultron tells us. He then turns around and looks directly at Wanda and me.

"When you two get inside their heads, whatever unity they had left will implode." he shares.

"I don't think the best plan is to kill them." I inquire. 

"You have yet to see the big picture, Erin," Ultron concludes.

"I don't see the picture." Pietro interrupts. "I have a little picture. I take it out and look at it. Everyday..."

"You lost your parents in the bombings. I've seen the records." Ultron says consolingly, trying his best to appeal to their grief. 

"The records are not the picture." Pietro spits.

"Pietro." I hear Wanda whisper.

"No, please. Go ahead Pietro." Ultron challenges. Pietro then begins to tell the story of how his parents were killed. I already know this story. It was one of the many things I helped Wanda work through. The trauma the both of them went through is unimaginable... and yet it happened. They watched their parents die in front of them and were alone for three days, waiting to die. All of this at the hands of Tony Stark, a name so familiar to me. I wish I could remember my parents, what they were like. My handlers said I was young when I was abandoned and that I would never remember. But it's not that I can't remember. I have the power but there is a block, a guard from letting me access that former life. My thoughts are interrupted by Wanda's elbow digging into my side. I refocus on Ultron to see him looking at me expectantly. 

"What about you? I found no records of you, not even a birth certificate."

"I don't remember my previous life. HYDRA is my life... or used to be. I have nowhere better to be so I might as well stop these two idiots from killing themselves." I partially lie, knowing I had another reason for being there. Ultron notices this and says:

"I know there is more to that story." Ultron cocks his head. "Strucker hurt you didn't he? That's why you could stand up to him. You were determined to prove him wrong."  

My heart begins to speed up in fear and anger upon hearing that monster's voice. Horrible memories begin to resurface in my mind but I push them back down, keeping the tears at bay. I swiftly nod while looking towards the ground. I take in a deep breath of air before returning my attention to the metal man. 

"I wondered why you three were the only ones to survive Strucker's experiments. Now I know why. We will make it right. The tow of you will get your revenge. But Erin, I can guide you to a better path. One that I know you will be happy in. In the meantime, Pietro and I will hurt them. But Wanda and Erin... they will tear them apart. From the inside." Ultron promises.

__________________

The twins soon disappear somewhere in the building, leaving Ultron and me alone. 

"I lied before when I said that I couldn't find you on the web. You are actually one of the most infamous people on there." Ultron reveals.

"What do you mean?" I hiss.

"You're known as one of the top assassins in the world." 

"That's not possible. HYDRA never let me out onto the field like that. They said I was uncontrollable."

"How much have they kept from you?" Ultron whispers. He tries to walk away but I catch up to the tall figure and twist him around to face me.

"Tell me what you know." I plead.

"I found what was left of HYDRA's files. Your files were quite buried so Stark couldn't get to them, but I did. Your powers don't originate from any chemical. Rather, you were one of the first of Strucker's experiments. You showed signs of abilities but not to the extent that Strucker wanted. That's when they put you in more experiments with the Quantum Realm. What Strucker didn't realize was that the stone had a different effect on you. Instead of you adapting to it, it's power adapter to you. It excelled your IQ, along with protecting you when you were put in the Quantum Realm." Ultron explains.

"So that's how I survived," I whisper. "How many missions have I been on?" 

"In the past four years, you have completed over eighteen missions," Ultron confesses. "You've killed over twenty-five people. Some of your kills were the proper targets, some not."

I gasp in shock but quickly close my mouth in fear. My loose hands turn into fists, as my anger rises for Strucker.

"You're angry." Ultron notices.

"Damn right I'm angry." I spit. A moment of silence settles between us so I stand up to leave. Just before I am out of earshot, Ultron calls for me. I slowly turn around and stare him down.

"I've found Strucker's whereabouts. At dawn, we are going to his prison and we are going to send the Avengers a message." Ultron tells me.

"What kind of message?" I ask.

"One of peace. It will be written in his blood. The blood that shall be the mark of your revenge." Ultron says.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" I question.

"You are going to kill Wolfgang von Strucker. You are going to get your revenge." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.9K 1.8K 72
For four years, Jade Stark had been missing and HYDRA is to thank. But after the mission she and her first friend, Bucky Barnes, tried to accomplish...
64.7K 1K 22
You know the stories about Wanda and Peitro Maximoff, but what if the stories had someone new. Someone who was destined to change and save the world...
145 16 40
Nicole Rogers is the younger sister of Steve Rogers AKA Captain America. She was captured by Hydra and experimented on. The same serum used to create...
236K 8.5K 90
"Ada, you're my whole world. There's no life worth living for me without you." "I feel the same way." ...