Only You ── TOM HOLLAND

By offIine

ONLY YOU. Growing up, you're taught that it's okay to love and to be in love. For some, love comes e... More

00. The Numbers
01. Alex's Day
02. Tulips
03. Waffle Time
04. Platonic Soulmates
05. The Amanda Show
06. Mommy Issues
07. Fake Love
08. Conflicted
09. Disowned
10. Turmoil
12. Secret Code
13. Because I Love You
14. Never Been the Same
15. I Don't Deserve You
16. I'm Not Happy
17. The Worst Nightmare
18. That Was Love
19. I Love You More Than Anything
20. Fake it Till You Make it
21. Obligation Not Love
22. The Second Choice
23. Above the Ground
24. The Second Second Choice
25. Mom's New Boyfriend
26. You Are Mine
27. Tulips Together
Epilogue
ONLY YOU.

11. Best Friend Love

5.4K 311 170
By offIine

— • —

I'm wrong.

It's almost painful to admit, but I am completely and utterly wrong. I was always a good judge of character, always being able to spot a bad person when they enter my life and hastily get rid of them before they proceeded to ruin my life. Except for this time, I was wrong. Because someone I thought could do me no wrong, someone the universe decided I was meant to spend the rest of my life with, was a bad person. The same boy who was nervous to show me his hand because of his insecurities is the same one who left me ashamed to show my wrist because they were tainted with black and blue.

I found myself frowning as I ran my fingers over the marks, a temporary reminder of who my boyfriend and soulmate is. As I examined the splashes of color tainting my wrist, I began to think. What did I do to deserve this? As a child, I read so many books about soulmates, something my mother and sister both told me was something to be excited about. In those books, they tell you all about how this person is specifically picked for you because you deserve one another, you deserve what the other has to offer for you. So, what did I do to deserve what Isaac had to offer for me, and what do I have to do to get it revoked?

Before I could stop it, a tear slipped from my eye, which I hastily wiped away. I didn't need to cry over this. It wasn't going to help me in any way. Besides, I'm sure this was a one-time thing, something he did in the heat of the moment. Because I'm not a bad person. So the universe wouldn't screw me over like this. He'll go back to being the sweet Isaac I met months ago, and we'll move past this, I know we will.

A knock on my door brought me back to reality, and I quickly moved my bracelet to cover my wrist before calling for the person to come in. I smiled slightly at the sight of my best friend, gesturing for her to come forward, Mandy shutting the door behind her. She quietly sat down in the chair in front of my desk, her lips tugged into a frown. "These are all your messages from Tom," she said softly, placing a stack of post-its on my desk.

I furrowed my brows in confusion as I collected the papers. "Why didn't you just connect him?" I mumbled, skimming over the small notes. "I haven't had any calls all afternoon."

"Aren't you guys fighting?" I raised my head to look at Mandy, expecting to see her cracking a smile before admitting she was kidding, but her face was deadly serious.

"No?" I placed the post-its to the side, leaning forward slightly. "Tom and I don't really fight. Why'd you think that?"

"Well, Isaac told me you're mad at Tom," I tensed up, "and are really sensitive about it, so I shouldn't bring it up." A look of realization settled on Mandy's features, the look on my face most likely a dead giveaway of the truth. "He was lying, wasn't he?" I nodded, ashamed of the antics of my boyfriend. That's something I'll definitely have to bring up, because whether he likes it or not, Tom isn't going anywhere. "Oh god, it's finally happening. How did Isaac find out?"

I was back to being confused, my brows furrowing. "Find out what?"

Mandy bit her lip nervously. "Oh my god, he found out Tom is in love with you and hasn't told you. What an annoying shit. You know I always..."

Mandy might have still been speaking. She probably was. But I couldn't hear her. Actually, I couldn't hear anything except the words "Tom is in love with you" on repeat in my head. Tom, in love, and me is something I never expected to hear in the same sentence. I knew he loved me, and I love him too, but it was the friendliest sense possible, right? In the way that two best friends love one another, in an, I'll pay for your pizza to make you happy kinda way, not an, I want to kiss you till the day I die kinda way. Did I even hear her right? Maybe she just said love, not in love. Then again, that wouldn't really make sense in the context she was saying it. Isaac wouldn't exactly be mad if he knew that Tom loved me in a friendly way, or I don't think he would be. However, he'd definitely be mad if Tom loved me in more than a friend way.

What am I even thinking? Why am I trusting the word of Mandy? It's not like she and Tom were close friends and he just decided to disclose that information to her. If anybody were to know something like that, it'd be Harrison, not my nosey assistant. And even if it was true, why should I care? I was in a relationship. With Isaac. My soulmate. Someone I was supposed to be with, according to the universe. I wasn't about to give that all up for my best friend.

"Hello?"

A tug at my hair brought me back to the world, Mandy's hand still wrapped around the dark curl. I pushed her hand away when I came to my senses, to which she reluctantly brought it back to her lap. She had her eyebrows raised at me, eyes looking me over calculatingly, trying to figure me out like she always has. It wasn't long until a smirk was spreading across her lips.

"You're in love with him too," she decided.

"What? No, I'm not." I must have shot it down too quickly because Mandy's smirk widened into a full on grin now. "Besides, you're just saying that. It's not like Tom told you that."

"Oh, he did." My eyes widened. "Kidding. But you should have seen the look on your face."

"Well, excuse my shock, but you just tried to tell me my best friend was in love with me," I deadpanned.

"It wasn't shock, it was relief," Mandy corrected, and I couldn't help but tense up. "You wanted it to be true so bad, Vee, just admit it. It's okay."

"I'm with Isaac," I mumbled, turning to face my monitor.

"Gee, thanks for the reminder but that isn't a denial. So I'm taking that as an okay to speak my mind." I ignored her, proceeding to scroll through my email, praying for an excuse to kick her out of my office. "You and Tom are so... weird. Even before you met Isaac, there was something there, from the first time you guys met at the photo shoot. I don't know what it is, but it's there, and I can't be the only one to see it." I stopped scrolling now, though my eyes were still focused on the monitor, I could feel my heart beating rapidly in my chest at her words. "He has feelings for you, and I know it. And it's sad because you're with Isaac. But you aren't even with Isaac for the right reasons." She paused, waiting for my reaction, but continued upon receiving nothing. "I know you can't tell me you're with Isaac for any other reason but that your numbers match, because then you'd be lying right to my face. And that's shit, Vee. You deserve to be with someone you actually love, whether it's Isaac or Tom or whoever else, you don't deserve to be in a relationship with anything but love. So if you don't love Isaac like he loves you, then make a decision. Stay in a relationship that could go nowhere or leave and find one that'll be worth it."

If only she knew I tried. I tried to end this relationship and find someone that'll give me what Isaac was lacking. But I got nothing but a bruise out of that. Still, I didn't say anything, swallowing the lump in my throat before proceeding to scroll through my email.

"And you and Tom." I froze again. "You're positive you're just friends? Like absolutely positive? 100% sure? If you say yes, you're a liar." I finally looked at her, watching as she shook her head in disbelief. "The way you and Tom love each other... that isn't friendly, and it's okay if you want to tell yourself it is, but I'm just speaking the truth." She pushed herself up from the seat at that. "Anyways, I probably have lots of missed calls, so... maybe try closing your email and maybe call Tom back? Or don't, that's fine too, but I think he'd prefer the former."

Call Tom? She expected me to just ring him up after all she said to me. I didn't even hear when Mandy let herself out, all I can think of was how fucked up my life is. What a great way to start my day.

TOM'S POV

I'm worried. Should I be worried? I should, right?

I haven't heard from Vee since yesterday.

Yesterday, when she abruptly left my apartment with Isaac, her eyes refused to meet mine as she packed up her belongings. Isaac had no shame doing so though, his eyes glaring at me for the entirety of it. I was going to stop Vee before she left and ask what happened, but I didn't. When she finally did meet my eyes, I could see how desperately she wanted me to stay quiet and not say anything. I knew Isaac hadn't picked up on the look we shared, he didn't know Vee like I did, so when I stayed silent as Vee left, he wore a cocky smirk, most likely thinking he'd won some battle only he was competing in. Prick.

Fast forward to the next day, I know Vee is at work, and I know Isaac can't spend every single second in her office as he has a job of his own to tend to. So why the hell wasn't Vee answering my calls? Every time I called I got Mandy, who told me that Vee is busy in a meeting, but a meeting doesn't last all throughout the morning and afternoon. So, I did what any sane person would do. Hopped in their car and went to Vee's job to make sure she was okay.

I could sense the people in the elevator with me getting annoyed by my constant fidgeting, but I really couldn't bring myself to care. My anxiety levels were through the roof, and I was only seconds away from arriving at Vee's floor. I swear I heard someone let out a sigh of relief when I stumbled out of the elevator, my feet making a beeline for Mandy's desk. I must have looked like a madman rushing towards her desk with such urgency, but thankfully Mandy didn't look at me like I was crazy. Instead, she offered a small smile, nodding in the direction of Vee's office.

So she wasn't in a meeting.

Without another word to Mandy, I approached Vee's door. I hesitated before knocking, my shoulders relaxing when I heard her calmly call me into the room. Heaving out a heavy sigh, I opened the door, slowly stepping into the room. I don't know what I expected when I saw Vee, maybe for her to look upset to see me, especially considering she'd been avoiding me the entire day. Instead, she looked relieved to see me, instantly rising from her desk when I shut the door behind me. I wasn't given the chance to speak before the wind was knocked out of me, Vee's arms wrapped tightly around my torso.

"I missed you."

I was glad she couldn't see my face, because that meant she didn't see the look of utter confusion I wore due to her statement. Did she really miss me? I'm not confused because we just saw each other yesterday, because I always tell her I miss her after just a few hours apart, but because it didn't make sense. If she missed me, wouldn't she have answered my numerous calls, or even called me back? Her behavior just wasn't that of a person who'd miss someone else. But still, I didn't pull away from her embrace, instead doing the exact opposite and holding her tighter.

She didn't seem to mind, her fingers curling around the fabric of my shirt, fisting it in her hands as to bring me closer. I heard her let out a low breathe as her eyes fluttered shut, head pressed flush to my chest. Okay, maybe she did miss me.

My eyes eventually landed on her desk, or more specifically a pile of brightly colored post-it notes with writing scribbled on it. Were those... "Are those my messages?"

Vee pulled away at this, and what was once a look of ease faded into one of frustration, her pink stained lips tugging into a deep frown. "Yeah," she mumbled, releasing me to make her way over to them much to my displeasure. "I was about to call you back right now actually, but you're here, so I guess I don't need to."

"Right..." I waited for her to round her desk and plop herself down into her chair before asking my next question. "Why weren't you answering anyways?" Her face visibly paled. "I know your meetings don't last all day like Mandy was telling me..."

There was a moment of silence as I waited for her explanation, but judging by the look on her face, she was trying to come up with an explanation herself. I didn't do anything wrong, I know that for a fact, so there's no real reason for her to decide to ignore me for hours. If a few more seconds passed and I didn't get an answer, I was going to just drop the subject and move on, but those few seconds of silence never did come.

I turned when Vee's door was opened, brows furrowed in confusion as I hadn't heard a knock or someone call into the office beforehand. But, unsurprisingly, it only had to be one person who provided little to no care for Vee's privacy or her personal space, and Isaac stepped in. Mandy trailed in right after him, and like I wish I could do, she had a glare settled on the man stood in the doorway.

"I told you to fuck off, Isaac," she hissed, hand wrapping around Isaac's forearm and tugging. He didn't budge though, his gaze flitting between myself and Vee multiple times before he heaved out a sigh.

"Let's go to lunch, Vee," he breathed out, not even acknowledging me with a nod or substandard handshake. I looked at Vee for her reaction, only to see she was already looking at me with nothing but guilt.

"I actually came here to have lunch with Vee," I interjected, causing Isaac to shift his attention to me with a bored expression. Remind me why I bothered trying to be friendly to this guy? He may have seemed nice the first time we met, but since then he's been nothing short of an asshole.

"Why don't we have lunch together? Mandy too."

I looked to Vee as she spoke, and was suddenly reminded why I put up with Isaac. Because of her. Her and her kind eyes, and the wide smile she usually wears, and the giggle she lets out whenever someone says peepee, and the way she leans into my side whenever my arm is thrown around her, and the excited noise she lets out whenever we spot my face in an ad, and the overwhelming amount of emotions I feel just at the sight of her. I'm so far from loving her as a friend, I'm head over heels in love with the girl, and unlike Isaac, if I were given the chance, I'd make sure she always knew it.

So I forced a smile across my lips and nodded, "Okay, sounds great."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.1K 10
In a universe where you see in shades of black and white before meeting your soulmate, Peter Parker is the one to make your life burst into colour, a...
167K 4.6K 61
You were the new kid to Midtown high. After a long debate with your mother, you decided it would be best to go and live with your father in New York...
384K 11.5K 56
PETER PARKER FANFIC **** Peter Parker has been your best friend since you were young and you both are crushed when you move away to another state. E...
152K 3.6K 29
❗️DISCONTINUED❗️ ever since birth you get a timer on your wrist.the timer telling you how long it will be til you meet your soulmate. one day while o...