Her Secret

Por jamesy__

• • • • • Watching from afar has become my new way of life. Watching my friends be happy, watching my peers... Más

Authors Note
zero | prologue
one | hospitals
two | senior year
three | here we go again
four | old and new
five | night out
six | buckle up
seven | grief and panic
eight | apologies and awkward dinners
nine | eyeopeners
ten | roadtrip?
eleven | roadtrip.
twelve | the tattoo
thirteen | bonfires
fourteen | nature adventures
fifteen | time
sixteen | strangers
seventeen | a millisecond
eighteen | be there
nineteen | he's here
twenty | anger
twenty one | imperfect
twenty two | sorry
twenty three | it's a surprise
twenty four | be happy
twenty five | love it away
twenty six | happy vs. content
twenty seven | one step forward, two steps back
twenty eight | hope(less?)
twenty nine | good and bad
thirty | man on a misson
epilouge
bonus chapter #1 - kids?
bonus chapter #2 - forever

thirty one | the news

31.2K 887 340
Por jamesy__

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE: GUYS, BEFORE YOU CONTINUE PLEASE BEAR IN MIND THAT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE DONE RESEARCH ON NON HODGKIN LYMPHOMA I AM NO EXPERT! I DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE WHO HAS GONE THROUGH THIS SO IF I GOT THE CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER COMPLETELY WRONG LET ME KNOW AND I'LL REVISE.

Other than that enjoy :)

----

It's been about two weeks since Zach came to see me at the hospital that night. I've consciously blocked out any updates on my chemo since then, and I wish I could say that it was for a good reason. But really I'm just scared.

I'm so terrified of getting bad news that I've settled on receiving no news at all. It's a cowards move, I know. But I can't help it.

Today however, Dr. Weker says I am absolutely needed in his office for a meeting with him and my parents. I wish I could find solace in the fact that he wouldn't drag me to a meeting only to hear that this round hasn't worked either, but I know that would be naive of me.

Doctors are expertly trained in delivering bad news, so I know that today could go either way.

My dad wheeled me into Dr. Weker's office as my mom walked alongside me, clutching my hand. We've been tense ever since this meeting was booked, not knowing what to say, what to prepare for. But as we sit in this office waiting I can't help but feel the need to say something to them.

"Thank you, guys." I whisper, almost afraid to speak any louder, as if it would bring the world in on this moment that's meant for just them and I.

"For what, honey?" My mom kindly asks and she clutches my dads hand, no doubt afraid for what I'm about to say and the news we're going to receive. 

"For being so great during all of this." I say through a sad smile, looking at both of my parents with love in my eyes. "I know I haven't made it any easier, but thanks."

"Don't apologize for anything." My dad says gently, but firmly, as tears he will no doubt hold in cloud his eyes and fall freely down my mothers while she nods in agreement. "Nobody can tell you how to react to going through what you have, and I am proud to say that you've handled it like a damn champion."

All I can do in return is nod and smile. Knowing that if I talk I might end up sobbing. And as we all attempt to collect ourselves Dr. Weker enters the room, giving us all a polite smile and greeting, but giving nothing away.

"Alright, well I'm sure you're all anxious to hear my news so I'll just get right into it." He starts, with his doctors face automatically taking over as he opens my files and presents my lab results.

"As you already know, we had you move in here Leena because your chemotherapy wasn't working as quickly as we had hoped it would." He begins explaining, causing my parents and I to nod along in seriousness.

"Knowing your body was undergoing an aggressive form of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, with your B lymphocytes, or your B cells, spreading and growing quickly, we directed your chemotherapy to target those cells and stop them from not only growing, but also from spreading into your nervous system.

"Our last resort was going to be a stem cell transplant, but the risk of reintroducing B cells into your system was something we did not want to have to face. So you can imagine my extreme delight in the fact that I get to tell you that you have survived cancer, Leena." Dr Weker ends with a smile.

Time stands still after Dr. Weker finishes speaking. I can vaguely hear my mother sobbing, and my father thanking God as I stare numbly at my doctor.

You have survived cancer, Leena.

You have survived.

Survived.

"We did it?" I weakly mumble as tears quickly fill my vulnerable gaze that's directed at Dr. Weker. Needing to hear again that his words are true and my mind isn't playing a cruel trick on me.

"You did it, Leena." He responds strongly, not leaving any room for debate.

His words finally register and as I focus on my parents smiling at me like they never have before I can't help but let the tears I've been holding in for the past two years finally fall.

"Oh my God." I sob as I weakly stand up and embrace my mom as my dad pulls us both into his warm body.

We spend the next few minutes whispering soothing words to each other, and praising whatever higher power is up there, thanking Them endlessly for helping us through this taxing journey.

Next I wipe my eyes and focus on Dr. Weker, the man who has given me so much of his time, the man who saved me.

I begin to slowly make my way over to him, whose been watching my family with a smile and tears of his own in his eyes. Once he sees that I'm headed his way, he meets me in the middle and regards me with a genuine smile, not the one he's trained to wear when he gives me treatments.

"Thank you so much." I sob as he gathers me in for a hug.

"I am so happy for you." He whispers hoarsely as he pulls away.

I return his sweet words with a smile, knowing that I couldn't possibly ever say anything to thank him for everything he has done for me. The english language just isn't developed enough.

I back away and sit down in my wheelchair as my parents profusely thank him as well. Deciding to wheel my chair out into the hall for a moment, I make my way out of the room.

"Holy shit." I whisper to myself as I hold my bald head in my hands and allow the tears to gather once more, completely overwhelmed and not knowing how else to deal with it.

"Lee?" I hear my twins voice in the distance and as I lift my head I see him running towards me in concern. 

"What's wrong? Did you guys have a meeting today?" Dylan asks in frantic worry as he nods towards the office door and wipes some tears from my eyes.

I gaze into his pale green eyes, and take in his dark brown hair and built physique, not quite having wrapped my head around that I'll be here for all of the things I thought I would miss.

"Leena!" He shouts, panicked by my lack of response and no doubt having flashbacks to the last time we had a meeting like this and remembering the bad news that came from it.

"I'm cured." I whisper so low that I don't expect him to have heard me, but from the shocked hope that takes over his face I know that he has.

"What?" He asks as vulnerably as I did in Dr. Weker's office, needing the same reassurance I did.

"I survived cancer, Dyl." I say, and damn if saying it out loud like that doesn't feel good.

His reaction is instantaneous, pulling me into a suffocating bear hug and letting his tears wet my hospital gown as he whispers thankful words into my shoulder.

"Fuck yeah!" He shouts as he fist pumps the air with glazed eyes and regards me with the happiest expressions he's ever worn, making me return it with a smile of my own.

"What did I say, huh?" He asks loudly, his smile still not dropping. "If anyone could do it, it would be you. Right?"

I nod along with a smile, his enthusiasm brining me into a happy stunned silence.

"You're a fucking boss, Lee!" He shouts as my parents and Dr. Weker exit the office and step into the now crowded hallway.

"Dylan!" My mom tries to scold but even she wears a smile on her face as we all laugh at my twins choice of words.

"Alright, well before I let you go I have a few more things I have to discuss with you guys regarding Leena's medical future. I will try to be as productive as possible so you guys can get to your celebration, though I do regret to inform you that they will have to take place in the hospital for now."

With that we all nod and wear eager and determined smiles on our faces. This good news filling us up with that much more fuel, enough to get us through the rest of this fight.

---- 

Dr. Weker's meeting includes a lot of information that should deter me, but I've never felt more determined in my life. He informed us that the next nine months are going to be hard on me. He said that my immune system would be incredibly weak, and that I will have regularly scheduled doctors appointments that will include blood tests and CT scans if need be.

I will also be on a strict diet, with lots of vitamins to take on the side. But like I said, I'm determined.

Leaving the appointment, we again thank Dr. Weker profusely before my parents excuse themselves to go grab coffee and Dylan wheels me back to my room.

Our ride back is silent, but comfortable. I think we all need a moment or two to process the information that has just been given to us, which I believe is why my parents snuck away for a moment.

Upon arriving at my room we are greeted with the site of a very anxious Zach pacing the length of my hospital bed.

I take a moment to openly ogle at my beautiful boyfriend.

Boyfriend.

For the first time since we started hanging out, I can say that without one ounce of sorrow or regret. He's my boyfriend for as long as we want, I'm going to be around now.

As I take in his black v-neck short sleeve shirt, with his sexy leather jacket on top, paired with his signature black ripped jeans, biker boots, and a backwards cap I can't help but feel a sense of peace wash over me. Nothing is in our way now.

"Holy fuck, where the hell have you been?" Zach asks with wide eyes as he regards me with a fierce protective gaze that's undertoned with an abundance of worry and love.

"Do you know how worried I was when I saw you weren't here?! I've been pacing this damn room for an hour and nobody would tell me anything!" He continues as Dylan gives my shoulder a gentle rub, his way of telling me he'll give us a minute. 

"Baby? Hello!" He asks as he throws his hands up in the air, but I'm stuck in silence as I contently sit and watch him.

"You better tell me what the hell is going on, right now Lenny." He says as he kneels in front of my chair and grabs my face gently in his hands. His stunning grey eyes plead with me to speak, to say anything which brings a gentle smile to my face.

"I'm going to be okay, babe." I whisper as I place my hand on his cheek and regard him with an open gaze, hoping to let him know how serious I am.

It's now his turn to be stunned into silence as he openly gapes at me, not quite knowing how to react to my news.

"We were in a meeting with Dr. Weker, he said I survived." I continue with a smile. "It's obviously not that simple, I'm going to be closely watched for the next nine months to five years. But in this moment, I do not have cancer."

The words have just barely left my mouth when Zach kisses me to say everything he can't voice. His kiss is slow, but fierce. Letting me know exactly how happy he is, letting me know how proud he is of me. I return his kiss with a smile, and rejoice in this moment.

We very barely pull away, only enough to be able to look into each others eyes. And when I see that Zach has tears of happiness and relief in his eyes I find myself tearing up again.

"Fuck, baby." He hoarsely murmurs as he tries to find the voice to say what he so desperately needs to say. 

"I'm so damn happy. It's me and you now, Lenny. Us forever." He whispers, almost in disbelief and I can't help but let out a big genuine smile as he hold onto each others faces, not willing to let go.

"Forever." I whisper back.

----

A/N ALRIGHT GUYS!!!!

Now, just a few things I have to say regarding this chapter and the (almost) end to this book. 

I honestly started this book not knowing anything but the fact that Leena was going to be sick. I didn't know if her and Zach would work together and I didn't know if she would survive, I really just let the book write itself and it did!

I genuinely pray that this ending gives people in a similar situation hope, and I hope everyone else enjoyed it!

The next chapter will most likely be the epilogue, but like I said I've mostly been letting it write itself so we'll see guys!!

Thanks so much for the support!

(ALSO PLS READ THE A/N AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER AND GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK IF YOU'RE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE ON HOW THIS PROCESS WORKS.)

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

YOU. Por makeouthill

Historia Corta

696 69 29
you deserve to know, I loved you. I still do you'll forever have a piece of my heart. I cry for u, ache for u and retouch our memories that slowly fa...
881K 23.5K 77
She lives her life to the fullest as she is love by everyone in her home, where everyone supports and cheers for her. Some things also somewhat make...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
28K 2.6K 77
Have you ever sunk so low that you actually felt relieved, knowing that it couldn't possibly get any worse? Well, I have... Many times. I lost ever...